RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

Aurorus -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (1/25/2018 1:56:12 AM)

May 11th 1942,

Little new to report. There is movement behind the front in every theater as forces are positioning for multiple amphibious landings, including Luzon. The initial landing on Luzon probably will be a single SNLF at San Fernando that will be augmented immediately with a base force in the 2nd wave, and then a full division will land. There will also be a landing in Southern Luzon, probably at Altimon and a division from Java will follow-up in the second wave to reinforce that position. It will be 10 days or so before the IJN is positioned for its next series of offensives. For the moment, most theaters are quiet. The landings at Luzon will not be the only landings in the next Japanese offensive, but for the moment, there is nothing definite. Whichever move I make next in SoPac will be a large move with multiple landings that include 3 full divisions, armor support, HQs, artillery, and SNLFs.

Aurorus -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (2/1/2018 5:06:10 PM)

May 14th 1942,

Apbarog is wasting little time in counter-attacking at New Caledonia. I was right that he was short supply and slightly overstacked. He had been moving supplies in via APDs for several days. I could have interdicted, but that would have required a constant CV presence after the battle in early May, fast AOs moving into areas thick with U.S. submarines, and expended my last operational SCTF in SOPAC (Chokai grp.). I decided to withdraw my fleet after the battle instead, regroup, and rest the exhausted Zero pilots at Koumac.

On the 14th, Apbarog moved 2 more large transport TFs to Noumea, further reinforcing the allied position there, up to 40K troops according to recon, and bringing in additional supplies. Only a few allied CVs provided air-cover it seems, and he had 3 SCTFs covering the operation: a well-composed CL group containing two good U.S. CLs and 3 Dutch CLs, a DD group, and a heavy CA group. His DD group and his CL group moved at full speed into Koumac to engage the small CL group and the MTBs that I had covering Koumac against bombardments.

A series of surface battles ensued and the engagements went poorly for the IJN. The action began in the darkness of the early morning hours of the 14th with a Japanese sub sighting Yorktown, launching 6 torpedos and scoring 1 hit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Noumea at 114,161

Japanese Ships
SS RO-65, hits 1

Allied Ships
CV Yorktown, Torpedo hits 1
CA Chester
CA Houston
CL Phoenix
DD Tucker
DD Downes
DD Cushing

Aurorus -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (2/1/2018 5:17:51 PM)

Then my CL group at Koumac encountered an allied DD TF and sunk a DD.

Night Time Surface Combat, near Koumac at 113,156, Range 1,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Yura
CL Abukuma
CL Kuma
DD Kamikaze
DD Asakaze, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Asanagi, Shell hits 1
DD Yunagi

Allied Ships
DD Farragut
DD Aylwin
DD Monaghan, Shell hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Dale
DD Worden
DD MacDonough, Shell hits 3
DD Dewey, Shell hits 1

Further night-time action ensued shortly thereafter as the allied CLs moved into Koumac and encountered the Japanese CLs. A very fortunate torpedo hit by an allied DD on the CL Yura slowed it. Two more torpedo hits and naval gunfire put the crippled IJN CL under. The allied CL Emerald led the action and absored most of the Japanese fire: none of which was able to penetrate its armor: a well-devised TF if indeed the plan was to place the most aggressive commander on the Emerald and have it lead with its heavier armor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Koumac at 113,156, Range 1,000 Yards

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
E7K2 Alf: 1 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CL Yura, Shell hits 10, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
CL Abukuma
CL Kuma
DD Kamikaze, Shell hits 2, heavy fires
DD Asakaze, on fire
DD Asanagi
DD Yunagi

Allied Ships
CL Leander, Shell hits 1
CL Achilles
CL De Ruyter
CL Tromp
CL Emerald, Shell hits 6
DD Gwin
DD Grayson
DD O'Brien, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Walke
DD Benham

The action continued into the daylight hours, and the IJN lost a 2nd CL. Again, Emerald led and absorbed most of the Japanese fire without sustaining signficant damage. CL Kuma and DD Asakaze are sunk. Asanagi has 24 fires and is disbanded in port. It may or may not survive. The rest of the TF should survive if they can make it to Tulagi or Rabaul without encountering submarines. Not a good day for the IJN. These were Kamikaze-class DDs, with 53cm torpedos, not ideal for surface engagements, and U.S. CLs are superior, in every way, to Japanese CLs. I have now lost 5 CLs, and Jintsu is badly damaged at Tulagi, receiving repairs from the AR. I will have to husband my remaining CLs if I intend to have any surface units adept at destroying Fletcher-class DDs.

Day Time Surface Combat, near Koumac at 113,156, Range 14,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Abukuma, Shell hits 3, on fire
CL Kuma, Shell hits 24, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Kamikaze, Shell hits 4
DD Asakaze, Shell hits 14, and is sunk
DD Asanagi, Shell hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
DD Yunagi, Shell hits 4, on fire

Allied Ships
CL Leander, Shell hits 1, on fire
CL Achilles, Shell hits 1, on fire
CL De Ruyter, Shell hits 1
CL Tromp
CL Emerald, Shell hits 6
DD Gwin, Shell hits 1
DD Grayson
DD O'Brien
DD Walke, Shell hits 3, on fire
DD Benham

Aurorus -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (2/1/2018 5:31:00 PM)

The only positive outcome for the most recent battle was that Apbarog flew 2 fighter sweeps over Koumac with P-39s. He tried a different tactic this time. He has noticed that I like to keep my A6M2s around 10K, so he decided to come in just above them, rather than with a combination of sweeps from very high and low. The new tactic paid some early dividends as the unreliable Japanese radar failed to detect the initial sweep at 12K. The first P-39s were able to make a few diving, boom and zoom, attacks on the A6M2s and 3 A6M2s were lost, including that of J Sasai, who was wounded in the battle. He has not been placed in the queue to return yet, and it appears as though his experience has dropped 8 points from the wound. After the initial dive, however, the airborne A6M2s, though not many in number, went to their business and hammered the allied squadron.

Morning Air attack on Koumac , at 113,156

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid detected at 20 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 72
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 29

Allied aircraft
P-39D Airacobra x 16

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-39D Airacobra: 6 destroyed

A second fighter sweep was detected by radar 14 minutes out. A couple of P-39s managed a few dives on low-flying Oscars, but were then hammered by the A6M2s. Air losses for the day show 30-33 P-39s destroyed to 3 A6M2s and 2 Oscar Ics. All but 2 of the P-39s were destroyed by Zeros, so 3rd Ku Sentai and Tainan Sentai achieved a 10-1 kill ratio on the day. 1 pilot from Tainan was KIA, and of course Sasai, who has been a menace to B-17s and Liberators (having scored 4 kills against 4-Es), was injured.

Morning Air attack on Koumac , at 113,156

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid spotted at 47 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 71
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 27

Allied aircraft
P-39D Airacobra x 22

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 2 destroyed
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-39D Airacobra: 5 destroyed

Aurorus -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (2/1/2018 5:44:14 PM)

The hero on the day was Junichi Sasai's wingman, Saburo Sakai, who avenged his wounded partner by scoring 3 kills on the day. He became an ace, and became one of 3 pilots with 7 kills to date for the second best score among Japanese aviators. He also becomes the first Japanese pilot to reach 90 experience. The IJN now has approximately 90 active TRACOM eligible Zero pilots and 6 or 7 more who are out of the action as WIAs but who will be returning in the next few months.

I think that this is the first game that I have played in which the overall quality of Japanese aviators, for both the IJA and IJN, has improved markedly through the first half of 1942. Usually, I am content if the there is no overall loss in Japanese pilot quality. I have used the Oscar Ics very sparingly, even more so than usual, in order to prevent IJA pilot losses and preserve Nakajima 35 engines. All Oscar Ic production is now turned off, as I prepare to make the transition to Nicks, Tojos, and IIas, and I may not have to produce many more Ics for the duration of the war. I currently have 15 Tojo IIas in the pool and 15 Nicks in the pool, producing one of each aircraft per day. The Oscar IIa will enter production in 2-3 weeks at 50 per month. Once I have some IJA squadrons filled out with Oscar IIas, Tojos, and NIcks, the IJA will take over the bulk of the air war, and the best A6M2 pilots will be hoarded onto the CVs.

[image]local://upfiles/48678/C8AF2765582A473BABE3EC4B6E614AC5.jpg[/image]

Aurorus -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (2/2/2018 12:10:49 PM)

May 16th 1942

Apbarog tried the B-17Es against Koumac. 36 B-17s flew into the Koumac CAP today at 17K. Detection time was 12 minutes on the 2 raids of 18 4-Es each, and approximately 40 fighters met each raid. Every B-17 was damaged and between 11 and 14 of the 4-Es did not complete the flight home. The IJN lost 4 A6M2s and 1 pilot. The IJA lost an Oscar Ic. 10 Oscars and 30 A6M2s are damaged and out of action for tomorrow, however, which raises an interesting question as to what Apbarog intends next. He is persistent and seems intent on trying to gain air superiority in SoPac. (As an aside, I think that this is a bad idea at this point in the war. The A6M2, with superior pilots, is too dominant, and allied fighter production is not sufficient to sustain losses of 2 and 3 to 1 in fighters over a long battle. But he has committed to New Caledonia, and so long as those A6M2 squadrons rule the skies of SoPac, his naval assets remain in jeopardy).

He has amassed 102 fighters at Noumea, and there is at least 1 CV at Norfolk Island. He could sweep tomorrow with mulitple groups from Noumea and then try to raid the airfield with CV-based DBs (there are no bombers at Noumea). Or he could just sweep. He will probably try one or the other. If he is just sweeping, it would be best to stand down all CAP and let him sweep empty skies for a day, until most of the 40 damaged fighters are repaired. If he intends to send in DBs, I can move down 36 more A6M2s and 36 more Oscars and CAP tomorrow with 60 Oscars and 90 A6M2s, though the pilots for every group will be fatigued some and the overall quality will be diminished. I will have to rely on numbers alone.

Apbarog also flew a fighter sweep with Chinese P-43a Lancers over Lashio in Burma on the 16th. 27 A6M2s with rookie pilots (exp. 55-60) just out of training were flying CAP at 8K. There is no radar at Lashio, and the raid came in very high and undetected by the sound detectors (which seem to be the reverse of radar, working poorly at high altitude and well at low altitude.) Nevertheless the rookie Zero pilots held their own, trading even with the Lancers. 2 of the rookies were KIA. Here is the scorecard for the day.

[image]local://upfiles/48678/BDBFA4A3049B4228988FFA9705CF5C56.jpg[/image]

Aurorus -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (2/2/2018 12:48:07 PM)

Nakajima 35 engine production is now nearly at capacity: 18 engines per day. A6M5 R&D is using 8 engines per day. Oscar IIa R&D is using 4 engines per day. A6M2 production is using 2.66 engines per day. Nick production is using 2 engines per day. The A6M2-Rufe production is using .33 engines per day. This is 17 engines per day. The A6M3, the A6M5, and the Oscar IIa all will go into production in early June. I would like to keep all 8 A6M factories on R&D and convert an existing factory to A6M5 production. This will require adjustments every few weeks to production: shutting some factories off and others on. 12 Engines would be devoted to R&D. 2 are devoted to the Nick, which leaves only 4 engines per day for A6Ms (A6M2, A6M3, and A6M5) and Ki-43s (IIas and Ics). Only 3 squadrons can convert to the A6M3 because the rest convert to A6M3as (which will not be available until 12/42). Only 1 squadron can convert from A6M3s to A6M5s, so A6M3 and A6M5 production will be light at first: 15 planes per month of each. KI-43IIa production will be 50 per month. 10 A6M2-Rufes, 30 A6M3/5s, 50 Ki-43IIas equals 3 engines per day, which leaves only 1 engine per day for A6M2s if I want all 12 R&D factories to have the bonus every day.

I will not produce the Lilly IIa or the Lilly IIb until the A6M line has progressed to the A6M8, because the A6M8 uses the Mitsubishi 33 engine and I will no longer need 12 Nakajima 35 engines per day for R&D. Mitsubishi 33 production is set to 240 per month and there are 440 Mitsubishi 33s in the pool. I have one size 30 R&D factory developing for the Randy Ia, Randy Ib, and Randy 1c, all of which use the Mitsubishi 33 engine. Of course the Tony Ki-100 also uses this engine, and I have 4 factories set on Tony R&D. The idea is for the Ki-100 to go into production in mid 1944 as the A6M8 is replaced by the A7M2. In this way, I continue to make use the Mitsubishi 33 engines and waste as little as possible.

[image]local://upfiles/48678/D0472B6310DF4065BD42BC85B643F729.jpg[/image]

Aurorus -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (2/6/2018 8:45:43 PM)

May 19th 1942.

Two days ago, the IJA gained control of the Kweilin-Hengyang road, which created a true pocket that contains 7 isolated Chinese corps, 2 artillery Btns, and an HQ. Phase 3 of the China campaign is now nearing conclusion, and I must decide what further objectives I want to pursue in China. I intend to pursue several more objectives and I would like to destroy more of the Chinese army before allowing the theater to to quiet. I still do not intend to conquer Chungking, though I may drive as far as the gates of Chungking and try to isolate the city I have not decided how far into central China I will advance, however.

Two objectives are obvious: Kweiyang in south central China is an important strategy objective, and I have forces in position now to begin a drive on that city. The second possibility is a major offensive toward Sian with the objective of taking Sian, Yenan, and Lanchow. This would require redeploying a large portion of the IJA, which is not a major problem, however, now that I control all the major rail-lines. Below is an image of the situation in south China. Nanning remains in Chinese hands as a partial Chinese corps put up spirited resistance two days ago against a Japanese brigade. A full division is now 30 miles from Nanning to reinforce the assault.

Once Nanning falls, the famous "magic highway" will be open. In my experience, however, this highway is of limited utility. Oil and fuel will still require transport from Singapore as both seem to pool in Singapore and even Saigon and Camh Ran Bay with little or none moving into and through China. Even resources only flow in small quantities from Singapore and still seem to pool there in excess of 600K. Supply does move, however, rather well along the route from Saigon to Hong Kong, and the "magic" highway is more helpful for moving supply than raw materials.

[image]local://upfiles/48678/8B6FBCE7B56343BFB980B8B0647B67DD.jpg[/image]

Aurorus -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (2/6/2018 9:03:16 PM)

May 19, 1942

With the pocket now sealed, the Hurricane Hunter squadron was freed from sweeping in advance of bomber raids along the front. There has been a game within the game occurring between the air forces in the Burma-China-India region. I have raided a few bases in an effort to pull fighters from China and am redeploying fighters often trying to set up CAP traps for likely allied targets, trying to use his recon planes and DLs on my bases as a guide to Apbarog's likely next action. As part of this game, Apbarog withdraw some Hurricanes from Chungking in China.

I decided to sweep the Hurricane Hunter A6M2s over Chungking now that it appeared they have a numbers advantage in the theater. My thinking is that there is probably no radar there and I can gain a tactical and numbers advantage. Chinese radar? I send the A6M2s in at 17K. The band between 15 and 20K seems perfect for sweeping bases without radar at this point in the war. The detection times are usually insufficient for early-war allied CAP fighters to climb into this band, while the early war Japanese fighters remain in a manuever band in which they still have an advantage in a dogfight.

The sweep came off perfectly. The A6M2s encountered 8 P-43 Lancers flying at 20K and 14 Hurricane IIas flying CAP at 10k. The raid was not detected by radar, though still had a detection time of 11 minutes. However, without radar, the on-station Hurricanes did not respond to the raid and remained at 10K altitude. The A6M2s bounced the on-station Hurricanes, Hurricanes scrambling off the deck, and 5 Lancers also scrambling. It was a clean sweep. Air losses for the day show 14 Hurricanes and 3 Lancers downed to the loss of 1 A6M2 to ops. The pilot of the lost A6M2 was KIA in the crash.

There have been many studies of how the game engine manages fighter battles in attempts to determine optimal altitude settings. In my experience, there are so many factors that determine the outcome of air-battles, and the most important factor is detection time and the presence of radar. Without radar, CAP fighters are at a tremendous disadvantage regardless of altitude settings. With good detection times, CAP fighters will respond to raids appropriately and the importance of altitude settings is less.

Morning Air attack on Chungking , at 76,45

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 36 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 44

Allied aircraft
P-43A-1 Lancer x 5
Hurricane IIa Trop x 10

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-43A-1 Lancer: 2 destroyed
Hurricane IIa Trop: 4 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
34 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 17000 feet

CAP engaged:
4th FG/24th FS CAF with P-43A-1 Lancer (0 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
1 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 12 minutes
No.605 Sqn RAF with Hurricane IIa Trop (0 airborne, 7 on standby, 0 scrambling)
3 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000*
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 9 minutes*

Notice the Hurricanes do not scramble above 10K. Also notice that 9 minutes was required for all Hurricanes to reach an altitude of 10K: leaving only 2 minutes to climb to 17K, which is not enough time even if they had responded to the correct altitude of the sweep initially.

After 8 years of playing this game, I finally think that I have a good understanding of how to manage the air-war in the early war period. The performance of my A6M2s in this game has been extraordinary, and the quality of the front-line IJN air units can be described only as crack.

Aurorus -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (2/6/2018 9:45:53 PM)

A few more days and then APs, AK-ts, and even xAK-ts will begin loading troops in numerous ports for 2 offensives: one in SoPac and the other at Luzon. Aircrews are prepping on their CVS and final inspections and maintenance are being completed on neary every Japanese naval vessel to ensure that the entire IJN is prepared to sortie in a week or so.

In northern Luzon, Apbarog has hid at least 2, possibly 3 divisions, in the interior. I spotted these with 1 flyover by recon planes and later changed the target, hoping that Apbarog did not notice the increase in DLs on these units. The allies did not spot the recon planes, so he may not know that I am aware of the location of these units.

Luzon will commence with 2 langings one in the south to drive on Batangas and Manila. The purpose of this southern landing is to gain control of the size 3 port at Batangas. A size-3 port, with naval support, is necessary to offload 30cm heavy artillery, and I intend to bring up all the heavy artillery, including the 30 cm guns, from Java.

The other landing will be at Lingayen to take Clark Field, which has had damage to the airfield since turn 1 to prevent the construction of fortifications in the x3 terrain. Paratroopers will land at Cabantuan, and I will hope that Apbarog did not read my AAR against 821Bobo. The plan is land the paratroopers and then immediately move them to Lingayen. What I want is for APbarog to respond to the paradrop with his armor. Cabantuan is a clear terrain hex, and I would like to bomb the tanks in the open country. I also want to cut off and isolate the units that he has hidden in the jungle in norther Luzon.

[image]local://upfiles/48678/8DDA0910E547426280CCF83816CCE936.jpg[/image]

Aurorus -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (2/8/2018 11:35:27 PM)

May 22, 1942.

I have been very fortunate in capturing industry intact in this game: very fortunate. 54 oil was destroyed at Magwe, which I will not repair, and 27 oil was destroyed at Miri, which is being repaired. Otherwise, all the oil wells were almost completely intact. All of the industry at Hong Kong, Wenchow, Soerabaja, Batavia, and Singapore was captured intact. 4 factories were damaged at Rangoon. A total of 26 factories, out of 220 were damaged at Siantan, Shaoyang, Hengyang, Kweilin, Liuchow, and Wuchow.

With nearly all early-war Japanese economic expansion complete. Supply levels are beginning to grow nicely around the empire. Also, my fuel levels are very healthy. There are significant long-term advantages to taking the DEI as quickly as possible and preventing the extraction of oil and fuel from the region. The strategy that I pursued in this game added, by my estimate, some 500,000 fuel to Japan's reserves above that which would be available if I had moved more deliberately on the DEI, conquering it in February and March and allowing the allies to extract oil and fuel.

I have only 400K fuel/oil less now than at game start. This extra fuel is the factor which has convinced me to undertake my next course of action: an attempt to expand through SoPac and make another effort to cut off Australia by threatening Fiji and points east.

Here is the overall state of the Japanese economy: very healthy, in my opinion, for a scenario 1 game in mid 1942.

[image]local://upfiles/48678/E5926565CD7B47BB8CD1A739947B5D6A.jpg[/image]

Aurorus -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (2/12/2018 12:37:53 AM)

May 25th, 1942

The past few days have been quiet on all fronts. In China, IJA units are regrouping for a drive on Kweiyang. The Hurricane Hunters have arrived in Burma, but I await the arrival of the first squadrons of Tojos and Nicks to begin a serious air-war over India against Hurricanes.

The first and second waves of the southern Luzon invasion are loading in the DEI. In several days the northern Luzon invasion will begin loading. CVEs have moved to Soerabaja from the Indian Ocean to cover the landings against torpedo-armed Catalinas. The old BBs, which have been sitting at Singapore for 3 months training their float-plane pilots, and several CAs that have repaired damage from torpedo hits at Nagasaki will provide naval support. 2 small squadrons of TBs will cover the landings against any PT boats that remain in the Phillipines.

In SoPac, several SNLFs are loading now to begin phase 1 of the next major Japanese SoPac offensive. It will be a week or so probably before action commences in earnest in SoPac. This will be a major Japanese offensive with numerous objectives. Tarawa and Naura Island are being resupplied and naval support is moving to Naura Island. YOs have been running small amounts of fuel to Luganville. The initial objectives are Tabiteau in the Gilberts and the 2 atolls south: Vaitupi and Fanafuti. APbarog has an AVP and a Catalina group operating off one of the Gilbert atolls, and I wish to destroy these scouts in order to blind the allies to a northern approach to Fiji and the Samoan Islands.

Aurorus -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (2/14/2018 7:01:55 PM)

Tracker is helpful for monitoring the status of the Japanese economy overall and examining the various regions to determine where resources, oil, and fuel are accumulating so that the Japanese player can determine how many merchants, tankers, and oilers are needed to move raw materials from each region. How best to move these raw materials in an efficient manner, however, is a matter of opinion.

Many Japanese players prefer to expand the port at Fusan in Southern Korea to size 8 and try to move as much as possible through Fusan, limiting the amount of fuel used by merchants. Expanding this port to size 8, however, requires some 40K supply beyond that necessary to expand it to size 5. I leave Fusan at size 5 and use other ports in Korea to supplement the flow of resources from Fusan. It seems to me that, if one wants to spend 40k supply, making improvements to Japan's system for transporting raw materials, this supply would be better spent expanding the refineries at Port Arthur or repairing the refineries at Miri. I do not repair refineries as a rule, however, since mainland Japan has excess refining capacity sufficient, in most cases, to refine all the surplus DEI oil.

Fuel and supply will move along land routes rather well. Oil and resources will not: especially oil, and moving oil to the refineries at Japan is the most difficult economic challenge that Japan faces. Palembang is the most obvious bottleneck and both oil and fuel must be extracted daily from Palembang, especially to prevent the fuel there from accumulating beyond 130K, which will result in spoilage and lost fuel. The port at Palembang should be at capacity nearly every day of the war. I have 5 small TFs, that can dock at Palembang, of the slow TKs (speed 12 knots, capacity 7500), dedicated to moving fuel from Palembang to Singapore. I also have a couple TFs of the small TKs (1250 capacity) moving between Sumatra and Malaysia: Medan to Georgetown and Bengkalis to Singapore. I am also assembling a TF of 2 AOs (8000 capacity) to move fuel from Rangoon to Singapore, because fuel from Magwe and Rangoon will not move overland. Singapore has no limit on the amount of fuel that can be stockpiled there.

Therefore, Singapore is the economic center. In addition to oil and fuel, resources also will accumulate at Singapore. From Singapore, large TK groups can move fuel and oil to Hong Kong. Hong Kong is perfect because large TK TFs can dock there and offload swiftly. From Hong Kong, oil, resources, and fuel will move to Korea automatically. Even the troublesome oil will move to the refineries at Port Arthur automatically. The route between Singapore and Hong Kong therefore is the primary long haul route of my economy, and most of my large TKs are dedicated to this route. I also have a large TF of 10 Yusen-class and Aden-class merchants and 5 escorts that are moving resources (and oil) from Singapore to Hong Kong. This is mostly optional, however as these resouces are not essential to Korean-Chinese-Japanese nexus of industry.

Without a size 8 port at Fusan, moving oil overland from Port Arthur to other ports in Korea at a rate sufficient to supply the refineries on Honshu is difficult, however, and I always find it necessary to transport some oil directly from Port Arthur to Honshu. Rashin, near the Russian border, does functions well as a transit hub for oil It has innate oil production and oil seems to stockpile there well. I set Rashin and Kanko to stockpile oil and then use 12-knot 7500-capacity, and even small 1250 capacity TKs, to move oil and fuel from these ports to Honshu.

All of the oil and fuel from Sumatra therefore is used to supply the heavy industry on Honshu. (Heavy industry requires fuel). The fuel from Java, Balikpapan, and Tarakan is used to supply the fleet, and I use AOs, especially the fast AOs, to pick up this fuel and move it into the Pacific.

Here is an image of one of the 2 large TK groups that are making the Singapore to Hong Kong transit. (The other is composed of 15-knot Tks and escorts). This TF is the most valuable asset in the entire Japanese war machine: more valuable than the CVs, even. It is composed of 7 TKs and 8 escorts. It has the best naval commander available, and I am thinking of assigning a CL to this TF in order to assign a naval skill 80+ commander to the TF. All the TKs have commanders with naval above 60 and the SCs have the best naval skill commanders available.

[image]local://upfiles/48678/C7A3B68FFADB49F3953FD6BE8F8C6A4D.jpg[/image]

Aurorus -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (2/19/2018 12:40:18 PM)

May 29th, 1942.

Two days ago, Mavis from Tarawa spotted allied shipping moving 300 miles SW of the Gilberts, moving NW. I suspected that Apbarog was wise to my plan to move in on Fiji from the north (probably from sigint indicating the new objectives for my troops). Unfortunately, I had just decided to stand-down Shokaku and Kaga to use an AR to repair a few points of engine damage. I could only respond with a 3-CV group: Hiryu, Soryu, and Akagi. My thinking was that if he did not cover this amphibious group with his CVs, Akagi group would strike. Yesterday, an allied DB targeted one of my subs 1 hex south of the Gilberts, so I was certain that U.S. CVs were present and covering this move on Tabiteau.

I decided to hold Akagi grp back rather than risk a major engagement with only 3 CVs present. Instead, I assumed that he would be landing at Tabiteau and that his amphibious grp would have F4F cover, flying long-range CAP. So I sent the 36 A6M2s from Chitose grp (the grp that had the rookie pilots 3 weeks ago) to sweep. They came in at 18K and discovered 45 F4Fs at 12K. The allies had numbers and probably had superior pilots (though several Chitose grp pilots are now over 70 experience after the air battles at New Caledonia). The A6M2s had alitude and performed well. Air losses for the day show 16 F4Fs downed to 10 A6M2s. I lost 5 pilots KIA in the battle.

Morning Air attack on Tabiteuea , at 137,134

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid detected at 30 NM, estimated altitude 23,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 30

Allied aircraft
F4F-3A Wildcat x 11
F4F-4 Wildcat x 34

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 5 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3A Wildcat: 3 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat: 2 destroyed

CAP engaged:
VF-3 with F4F-4 Wildcat (8 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(16 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
8 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 4 being recalled, 4 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 11000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 11000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 44 minutes
VMF-111 with F4F-3A Wildcat (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(11 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 11 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 13000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 13000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 4 minutes
VF-2 with F4F-4 Wildcat (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 18 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 12000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 12000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 36 minutes

An allied sub spotted the Akagi grp just north of Naura Island and fired torpedos at the Hiryu, missing. I decided that after a fighter sweep and after spotting Japanese CVs, Apbarog would withdraw his TFs from Tabiteau, so I planned no further action for the next day. I was correct; the U.S. forces did withdraw. Recon now shows 6 U.S. units and 8K troops at Tabiteau. However, I doubt that Apbarog had an opportunity to land many supplies. Chokai grp and an AKE are en route to Tarawa to commence bombarding these allied units. Three high-experience SNLFs are prepping for Tabiteau.

Action is beginning again in SoPac, and there will be more to come in the days ahead. Landings in southern Luzon will begin in a few days.

Aurorus -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (2/19/2018 12:53:18 PM)

May 30th, 1942.

I have mentioned that I have been using mini-subs often, especially at small ports without nets (less than size 3). I have mini-sub carriers, carrying mini-subs patrolling near a few small allied ports, hoping to spot a TK, AO, or capital ship group moving to the port. These mini-sub carriers are working with glen-carrying subs. One mini-sub carrier, I-16, is patrolling near Norfolk Island. Today, I-16 spotted an allied troop transport group and engaged. What is very interesting about this engagement is that I-16 launched its mini-sub in a deep-water hex, while in patrol mode, and both I-16 and its mini-sub engaged the U.S. TF. After the engagement, I-16 recovered its mini-sub intact and unharmed. I have never seen this before, and it reveals a new IJN tactic. Using mini-sub carrier TFs to patrol can be a force multiplier. The mini-sub carrier can launch its mini-sub as part of the engagement.

Submarine attack near Norfolk Island at 112,174

Japanese Ships
SSX Ha-8

Allied Ships
xAP Wakefield

xAP Wakefield is sighted by SSX Ha-8
SSX Ha-8 launches 2 torpedoes at xAP Wakefield

Submarine attack near Norfolk Island at 112,174

Japanese Ships
SS I-16

Allied Ships
xAP Mount Vernon, Torpedo hits 1

Allied ground losses:
19 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

xAP Mount Vernon is sighted by SS I-16
SS I-16 launches 6 torpedoes at xAP Mount Vernon

DanSez -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (2/19/2018 2:59:16 PM)

Long time lurker wanted to say:
Thanks for the 'trade secrets'.
Aspiring JFBs need all the clues they can get.
[&o]

Bif1961 -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (2/20/2018 12:29:06 AM)

Very interesting!

Aurorus -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (3/5/2018 10:14:06 PM)

I lost internet service for 6 days last week (because I failed to pay a bill that I did not know existed) so we were able to play 2 turns only last week. Internet service is restored, however, and action has resumed.

We have arrived at 8 June 1942.

There is action on multiple fronts.

Landings at Luzon have commenced. On the 4th of June, a single SNLF landed at Atimonan to capture the port. I have my larger units prepped for Manila and Bataan and did not want to have numerous squads disabled in an amphibious assault, so I secured the port with a single SNLF. A port unit and the 38th division, veterans of the Java campaign, followed up. The 38th division is not ideal for Luzon because it is a light division, but it is an 88 experience division. I am hoping that it can get a few more points of experience on Luzon, so that it can serve as an elite mobile reserve later in the war.

On the 7th of June, a single SNLF landed at Lingayen to capture the port, and the base was captured on the 8th. The 14th division, which is a very heavy (by Japanese standards), experience-80 division, is beginning to offload with 2 more SNLFs, 3 armor regiments, a port unit, and the 17th Army HQ. 2 squadrons of TBs, a TF containing the old BBs, 2 CVEs, and 2 old heavy CAs are covering the landings.

The 38th division will move on Batangas to capture the important size-3 port, and the 3rd Fleet and base force will relocate there to offload the heavy artillery from Java, which will begin loading in a day or two. The APs that disembarked the 38th are off to Keijo in Manchuria and will begin moving down the 1st division in regiments. 45 Nells and 27 Sallies from the Home Islands are flying air support from Formosa, and the size-27 unit of Sallies from 3rd Air division are flying out of Cagayan. Busuanga with its size 3 port was also captured and 2 AKEs will dock there to support the old BBs.

[image]local://upfiles/48678/44FF34A6E74B459B9C138523BE4FDB82.jpg[/image]

Aurorus -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (3/5/2018 10:42:23 PM)

All 7 CVs (including Junyo) and the 3 CVLs are sweeping south in advance of a move on Fiji and the Samoan Islands. The idea is to cut off Fuel and supply shipments to Australia to slow the allied build-up and force the allies to move materials and troops off-map if Apbarog wishes to build up Australia. All of this in an effort to prevent any early alled effort on the DEI and retain access to DEI materials for as long as possible. Suva, Vava U, Canton Island, and Pago Pago are the only allied ports larger than size 1 between Christmas Island and New Zealand. Apbarog cannot store fuel or supplies (especially fuel) at size 1 bases without suffering large losses to spoilage. The plan is to deny the allies any fuel depot between Pearl Harbor and New Zealand. I sank a number of allied TKs in the DEI in the first days of the war, and I want the allied TKs and AOs to be stretched to the limit: refueing TFs instead of hauling fuel to Australia.

As a preliminary to the move on Fiji and the Samoan Islands, 2 15-AV SNLFs (with minimal prep) were scheduled to land at the atolls in the Ellice Islands: Vaitupo and Funafuti. Vaitupo was occupied by an AVP and a small squadron of Catalinas, 3 of which were captured by the landing. Funafuti, however, had a U.S. seabee unit and a port unit that were able to repel the invasion.

The Japanese CVs also raided an empty port at Pago Pago, and the air-strike seemed to go completely astray. 117 Kates scored no hits on the port, the supply depot, or anything. I have never seen this before. 18 F4Fs were flying CAP. A splintered portion of the strike arrived late and without fighter escort. The 2 F4Fs remaining were able to score 4 kills on B5N1s from the Zuiho. The main attack netted 10 F4Fs for 6 Zeros.

Notice that I was able to have 22 A6M2s (from Ryujo) sweep ahead of the raid at 18K, 7k above the strike itself. I wish that I could be certain that I could achieve these results consistently. I set them to escort at 18k, while the strike package was set at 11k. It was an experiment that seemed to work, except I wonder if the fighters sweeping ahead is what caused the entire raid to score no hits? Is this another "sweeping ahead" bug?

Afternoon Air attack on Pago Pago , at 148,161

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid detected at 119 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 50 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 55
B5N1 Kate x 18
B5N2 Kate x 99

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 3 destroyed
B5N2 Kate: 2 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat: 5 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
27 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 11000 feet *
Port Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb
13 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 11000 feet
18 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 11000 feet *
22 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 18000 feet
18 x B5N1 Kate bombing from 11000 feet *
7 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 11000 feet

Aurorus -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (3/5/2018 10:49:22 PM)

As part of the action on 7 June 1942, I dispatched a CA group from the main body of the IJN fleet in SoPac to bombard Tabiteau. Recon shows a strong allied position there with 6 units and 9k troops. Apbarog withdrew quickly after the initial landing when his subs spotted the CV group north of Nauru Island, so I suspect there may be few supplies there. The primary purpose of the bombardment, however, is to distract submarines, suface elements, and possibly the U.S. CVs from Fiji as I land. I want Apbarog to think that the primary target is Tabiteau.

Night Naval bombardment of Tabiteuea at 137,134

Japanese Ships
CA Furutaka
CA Aoba
CA Maya

Allied ground losses:
287 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 16 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 24 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 5 disabled
Guns lost 7 (2 destroyed, 5 disabled)
Vehicles lost 16 (4 destroyed, 12 disabled)

Port hits 13
Port supply hits 4

CA Furutaka firing at 148th Infantry Regiment
CA Aoba firing at Tabiteuea
CA Maya firing at Tabiteuea

These CAs will replenish at Tarawa, bombard a second time, and then move to Ndeni to support operations on Fiji.

Aurorus -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (3/5/2018 10:58:51 PM)

Here is the situation in SoPac at the end of the 8 June 1942 turn. As part of the general "distraction" from Fiji, I moved Nagato and Mutsu to Koumec on the 6th of June. I spotted a large xAK group offloading supplies at Noumea, and I thought to force them flee. I also hoped that Apbarog would send in CVs against an uncovered SCTF for a potential CAP trap at Koumac. When nothing developed on the 7th, I sent the BBs to Luganville to stage for a bombardment of Fiji in support of the coming landing.

As the BBs were withdrawing to Luganville, Apbarog sent in a CL group to Koumac. He must not have realized that there were Japanese BBs present. Unfortunately, the CL group arrived immediately after the BBs had withdrawn, and I missed a splendid opportunity to sink more allied surface assets by 1 or 2 hexes of movement. The allied CL group was able to sink the Japanese MTB squadron while it was docked at Koumac.

[image]local://upfiles/48678/EA23D2E571564BE1B753DE27CAC2D44F.jpg[/image]

Aurorus -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (3/5/2018 11:04:27 PM)

I have little DL on Fuji, but it appears that the allied garrison there is small relative to what is coming. 3 DL (which could be very wrong) reveals 6 allied units with 3,500 troops at Suva. If I can take Fiji with these 2 divisions, I should be well positioned to move on Vava U and Pago Pago. It will almost certainly be a major battle for Fiji and the Samoans, since Apbarog seems determined to keep the route to Australia open. Of course, a major battle is exactly what I want.

I need another CA squadron in SoPac badly. I have 4 CAs at Singapore, 2 in the Phillipines, and 2 repairing at the Home Islands. 4 of these will need to be in SoPac soon. With the loss of so many Japanese CLs, I will have to rely on my CAs a great deal (even more than usual).

MakeeLearn -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (3/6/2018 12:13:31 AM)

quote:

Weather in hex: Heavy rain
B5N1 Kate x 18
B5N2 Kate x 99
...bombing from 11000 feet.

Wonder if a lower altitude would have gotten some hits, in such bad weather?

MakeeLearn -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (3/6/2018 12:22:43 AM)

How is Apbarog doing with his reconnaissance?

adarbrauner -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (3/6/2018 4:00:00 AM)

How do u get recon over Fijis and Samoa?

Aurorus -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (3/6/2018 4:05:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

How is Apbarog doing with his reconnaissance?

He does not use recon as much as I do. Of course, I have never played against anyone who does use recon as much as I do. I recon as much as possible as often as possible. I break down the size 12 recon groups into 3 size 4 groups, so I have approximately 12 different recon squadrons in China (reconning 12 different hexes), 12 recon groups in Burma, 8 recon groups around the Phillipines, and 6 recon groups in Australia and SoPac.

The recon that I have on Suva now is provied by Betties flying recon missions from Luganville. The DL on the Samoan Islands is the result of the airstrike on Pago Pago and a Val DB strike on the Samoa Btn.

As to the Kate strike, I wanted to stay above the 40mm AA ceiling (which is 9k). Also the port strike was a secondary target with a naval strike as the primary target. The Kates were set with Vals, and if a naval target did present, I wanted the strike to coordinate at an altitude in which the Vals could dive bomb and the A6M2s had some room to climb and remain in their best manuever band. 11 or 12K are the altitudes that I prefer for coordinated DB and TB naval strikes at this point in the war.

I had 0 DL on the base before the attack, and the weather was poor, so these may have been the decisive factors. Nevertheless, I have bombed bases in poor weather with 0 DL before and have never seen so many bombers score no hits on anything. It does not make that much difference. The port was empty (1 xAK according to my recon), and the message was delivered that he cannot safely dock TKs, AKs, and troop transports anywhere in SoPac for any length of time without significant fighter cover.

adarbrauner -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (3/6/2018 4:10:05 AM)

Reconing with Bettis? How? high recon skills?

Aurorus -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (3/6/2018 4:34:33 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner

Reconing with Bettis? How? high recon skills?

I divided a size 27 betty unit in 3. 2 are conducting naval search missions and the 3rd is staffed with C5M2 pilots with 70 recon. The Betty is not a great recon plane, however, and rarely generates good DLs, even with good recon pilots. It also has a tendency to be shot down when reconning bases with CAP, and IJN recon pilots are in short supply, so it is something that I do sparingly.

I think that I may transfer down my 4 Emilies and use these instead for long-range recon in SoPac. I train all my float-plane pilots in recon. The Emilies are probably less likely to be shot down as well.

Yaab -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (3/6/2018 5:01:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurorus

All 7 CVs (including Junyo) and the 3 CVLs are sweeping south in advance of a move on Fiji and the Samoan Islands. The idea is to cut off Fuel and supply shipments to Australia to slow the allied build-up and force the allies to move materials and troops off-map if Apbarog wishes to build up Australia. All of this in an effort to prevent any early alled effort on the DEI and retain access to DEI materials for as long as possible. Suva, Vava U, Canton Island, and Pago Pago are the only allied ports larger than size 1 between Christmas Island and New Zealand. Apbarog cannot store fuel or supplies (especially fuel) at size 1 bases without suffering large losses to spoilage. The plan is to deny the allies any fuel depot between Pearl Harbor and New Zealand. I sank a number of allied TKs in the DEI in the first days of the war, and I want the allied TKs and AOs to be stretched to the limit: refueing TFs instead of hauling fuel to Australia.

Don't forget the sweet little port at Rangiroa in Tahiti. It can be built to port level 5. He can just move loaded TKs from Los Angeles to off-map, and from off-map (Cristobal) to Rangiroa, and build a nice stock of fuel at Rangiroa.

Aurorus -> RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A) (3/6/2018 5:17:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

Don't forget the sweet little port at Rangiroa in Tahiti. It can be built to port level 5. He can just move loaded TKs from Los Angeles to off-map, and from off-map (Cristobal) to Rangiroa, and build a nice stock of fuel at Rangiroa.

Tahiti and Rangiroa show no signs of development, and I do not recall receiving any radio transmissions from either base to indicate the presence of allied assets, though I do not use intelmonkey, so my memory may be in error. Whatever the case, Tahiti is a major detour between Pearl Harbor and New Zealand and Australia. Cutting Pearl off from New Zealand and Australia would be very helpful, since he would have to build up supply and fuel stockpiles in two separate regions without a direct link between the two. So, if I can force him to begin his counter-offensive from Tahiti, I will have accomplished more than my hopes.

Mostly, I am just hoping to force a major CV engagement in 1942 and then hoping that I win that engagement decisively so that the allies cannot mount a 1943 offensive and must wait for 1944. If I can sink a few more TKs or AOs that would be helpful as well.

It is a high-risk strategy that I pursue in this game, in my opinion. It is far more risky than the strategy I have adopted in my game against Opilot. The risk is that I lose my slim CV advantage while I have 5 good IJA divisions, artillery, several armor regiments, and a host of other support units far into SoPac. Conducting an orderly withdrawal from such a far-flung position without a CV advantage will be very difficult.

If it comes off well, it will appear to be a brilliant strategy. If it comes off poorly, it will appear to be a very poor strategic decision. It is neither, of course. It is merely a high-risk, high-reward decision.

Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI