RE: Notes from a Small Island (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

Canoerebel -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/24/2017 1:51:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

What key ships has your opponent lost?

Ship losses for both sides have been light compared to the charnel house that you and I have created.

IJN carrier losses are the most significant - Erik has lost more carriers than the Allies have (more about that later).

IJN CA losses are fairly substantial too - if this list is accurate, he's lost seven of 18. I suspect the list is accurate, because none of these are recent reportings likely to be exaggerated FOW.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/2ADA0A814D7B4AB2B3337BD019877C97.jpg[/image]

Lokasenna -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/24/2017 3:11:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants
Burma - Do you have a Command HQ far enough forward and then a base that you can get 20k in supply at in order to upgrade LCUs to newest squads/devices rather than send back to India?

Preference (P) screen - You can use left and right mouse clicks to speed up all parts of the Combat Replay. I also use the <Esc> key to fast forward through ground bombardments.

Does it require an command HQ to upgrade squads and devices? I thought a supplied base would work. Teach me, as this will be important.

As best I can tell, there are only two non-static command HQ in the entire SEAC theater: Southeast Asia (British) and Y Force (Chinese). They both happen to be in the same jungle hex near Prome. They are within 9 hexes of Akyab, where I have sufficient supply (22k) for upgrade purposes. Is proximity sufficient or does a command HQ have to be at Akyab?

I don't remember the specifics in terms of what the range is (2 * command radius?), but I'm pretty sure that a Command HQ is required to upgrade the TOE.

Unsure about devices.

pontiouspilot -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/24/2017 3:29:42 PM)

Don't get your lemons squeezed like predecessor!! I will continue watching with great interest. It is noteworthy that "taking over" an abandoned game seems to be gaining popularity. It is a good way to get deeper into games. I might have to look into it.

witpqs -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/24/2017 3:49:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

Burma - Do you have a Command HQ far enough forward and then a base that you can get 20k in supply at in order to upgrade LCUs to newest squads/devices rather than send back to India?

Preference (P) screen - You can use left and right mouse clicks to speed up all parts of the Combat Replay. I also use the <Esc> key to fast forward through ground bombardments.

Does it require an command HQ to upgrade squads and devices? I thought a supplied base would work. Teach me, as this will be important.

As best I can tell, there are only two non-static command HQ in the entire SEAC theater: Southeast Asia (British) and Y Force (Chinese). They both happen to be in the same jungle hex near Prome. They are within 9 hexes of Akyab, where I have sufficient supply (22k) for upgrade purposes. Is proximity sufficient or does a command HQ have to be at Akyab?

I don't remember the specifics in terms of what the range is (2 * command radius?), but I'm pretty sure that a Command HQ is required to upgrade the TOE.

Unsure about devices.

I think you have it right on Command HQ proximity for TOE upgrade. As for devices I think he just meant getting enough supply there courtesy of the Command HQ's supply draw.

Canoerebel -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/24/2017 3:53:56 PM)

I'm having a hard time assembling your various thoughts into a coherent understanding of what I need to do, 'cause I'm kinda slow, ya know?

If I'm reading you guys correctly, you're telling me for upgrade purposes it is sufficient to have a command HQ (Southeastern Asia, for instances) within 9 hexes of Akyab (or is it 18, per Loka's comment?). Then, if Akyab has supply, units can upgrade devices/TOE.

Do the units have to be in Akyab to upgrade or can they be within some certain radius of the hex?

Or have I just screwed this all up, failing to understand what you've patiently explained?

Lowpe -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/24/2017 4:07:36 PM)

quote:

I'm having a hard time assembling your various thoughts into a coherent understanding of what I need to do, 'cause I'm kinda slow, ya know?

If I'm reading you guys correctly, you're telling me for upgrade purposes it is sufficient to have a command HQ (Southeastern Asia, for instances) within 9 hexes of Akyab (or is it 18, per Loka's comment?). Then, if Akyab has supply, units can upgrade devices/TOE.

Do the units have to be in Akyab to upgrade or can they be within some certain radius of the hex?

Or have I just screwed this all up, failing to understand what you've patiently explained?

Two different things:

TOE upgrade: Command HQ within 18 hexes, unit set to rest, at a friendly base. The TOE will upgrade.

Replacing old devices with new model devices: Trickier to do, and I am not aware that Command HQ does in fact help, but it can't hurt.

First and foremost you need access to base with a minimum of 2x the required supply. In fact you might need in excess of 20,000 supply but I don't think so. I can't remember when one of my units upgraded in the field and not at a base. Often times you will see a operation report line...

Device(s) upgraded in 5th Division supplied from Prome

On this particular day there was a command HQ within range, Prome had more than 2x supply than required, and over 20,000 supply, and the 5th Division was in Prome. That unit one hex away from Prome didn't upgrad their devices, but the first day in Prome they did.

I have no idea what impact the command HQ may or may not have had.

As I understand it the new device cost supply to make for Japan; I need to have enough supply at the base to meet that supply without going below the 2x required supply for the base (I think). The supply is converted from the base into the devices and placed into the unit, old devices go back to the pool. I also need the raw material inputs to make the device if they didn't already exist in my pool. They are in Allied pools so you need not worry about that.

Is there an administrative leadership impact. No clue.

EDIT: I went back and checked in Tracker...I have upgraded devices at bases with less than 20,000 supply. But I still do think you need in excess of 2x base supply the cost of the device upgrade in supply for the upgrade to take place.

witpqs -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/24/2017 4:23:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

Two different things:

TOE upgrade: Command HQ within 18 hexes, unit set to rest, unit in a friendly base. The TOE will upgrade.

Replacing old devices with new model devices: Trickier to do, and I am not aware that Command HQ does in fact help, but it can't hurt.

First and foremost you need access to base with a minimum of 2x the required supply. In fact you might need in excess of 20,000 supply but I don't think so. I can't remember when one of my units upgraded in the field and not at a base. Often times you will see a operation report line...

Device(s) upgraded in 5th Division supplied from Prome

On this particular day there was a command HQ within range, Prome had more than 2x supply than required, but not over 20,000 but very close, and the 5th Division was in Prome. That unit one hex away from Prome didn't upgrad their devices, but the first day in Prome they did.

I have no idea what impact the command HQ may or may not have had.

As I understand it the new device cost supply to make for Japan; I need to have enough supply at the base to meet that supply without going below the 2x required supply for the base (I think). The supply is converted from the base into the devices and placed into the unit, old devices go back to the pool. I also need the raw material inputs to make the device if they didn't already exist in my pool. They are in Allied pools so you need not worry about that.

Is there an administrative leadership impact. No clue.

Lowpe -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/24/2017 5:05:33 PM)

Thanks witpqs, I went back and edited the post. [&o]

I also double checked in Tracker, and Prome did have over 20,000 supply on the day of the upgrade so I fixed that too.

witpqs -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/24/2017 5:26:28 PM)

quote:

I also double checked in Tracker, and Prome did have over 20,000 supply on the day of the upgrade so I fixed that too.

I can't remember for certain at this instant, but I am pretty sure upgrading devices requires being in a friendly base too.

Lokasenna -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/24/2017 5:31:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

I can't remember for certain at this instant, but I am pretty sure upgrading devices requires being in a friendly base too.

I think they can upgrade the field, but the upgrades have to "come from" a nearby friendly base with the requisite supplies.

It is just more than 2x required supply - as far as I know there is no requirement for it to also be more than 20K. Just more than 2x required.

BBfanboy -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/24/2017 6:15:26 PM)

quote:

quote:

Isn't there also something about not upgrading if the enemy is within a certain range?

BBfanboy -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/24/2017 6:18:28 PM)

quote:

quote:

I think Y force has a command radius of 1. Z force might have a greater command radius. Not sure about X force.

witpqs -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/24/2017 6:26:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

Isn't there also something about not upgrading if the enemy is within a certain range?

I don't think so.

Lowpe -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/24/2017 7:12:48 PM)

quote:

I believe that is a rule myth. Three were enemy troops at 2 hexes from Prome when the 5th Div upgraded, and maybe within 1 hex.

crsutton -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/24/2017 9:18:18 PM)

quote:

3/4/44

SEAC: Knife fight in the jungle on unequal terms. Massive enemy air force and army here....very far forward for '44. Good. Let 'em stay right here for months to come. For now, this will be an attention-holding theater.

The road to victory does not lead through Burma or Thailand or Malaya or Java or Sumatra....not at this late date. So let's fight way back in Burma for as long as possible...until one day the time is ripe, the enemy is leaning too far forward, and the hook comes.

Eventually the Allies will move into China, but that takes supply, so that won't be soon.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/FD97B18E0D1A4064B86B119086CDFC06.jpg[/image]

Not a bad idea considering. A large front with heavy fighting will both drain Japanese resources and as I found your units there will gain loads of valuable experience. You need a front to replace the dormant China Theater. My Indian army has been fighting toe to toe since 4/42. Most of the units are now in the seventy range for experience-and a bit under strength I might add.

crsutton -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/24/2017 9:33:01 PM)

quote:

3/5/44

Burma: Lots of forces in proximity, little fighting as we both feel each other out. But I'm making good progress in getting supply to Akyab.

I won't show a screen of SWPac. Not much fighting going on. Lots of clicking going on. The map is a melee of icon s moving hither and yon, like those proverbial children and drunks of yore howling and braying in the night.

Not going to read Obvert's AAR so I can comment more freely. Take a fairly strong carrier force and just pull a raid off on one of his perimeter oil centers. This situation reflects my own campaign in progress. With this much air power forward. I can guarantee you that he is not covering bases in his rear. You hit just one and do significant damage and I bet all of this air power in Burma will evaporate. Other course is just to seize Siboret Island if it is lightly defended. It can be built up as to a level nine airbase and just forces a move of air units to the rear to protect oil. It is a lousy port but that is what the good lord created LSTs for.

crsutton -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/24/2017 9:42:34 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Unsure about devices.

I am upgrading TOE in Rangoon and Pegu and the only HQ around are 14th Army and some corp and air. SE Asia is in Calcutta or Chittagong. And my American base forces are upgrading TOE everywhere on a somewhat random basis but upgrading none the less. Seems like base size and supply are the biggest factors. Every American infantry unit has upgraded TOE on schedule and they are scattered all over the place.

But I am a bit careless at times and it could be that they are were in range of a HQ at the right time.

BBfanboy -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/25/2017 12:25:59 AM)

quote:

quote:

I believe that is a rule myth. Three were enemy troops at 2 hexes from Prome when the 5th Div upgraded, and maybe within 1 hex.

Might have been to do with ship upgrades rather than troops. Dang this foggy old memory!

Lowpe -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/25/2017 3:01:11 AM)

CR, I am pretty sure you can go into the editor and change the name of the offensive ships. Obvert merely has to trust you that is all the changes you made and accept them when he next runs the turn. Shouldn't be a problem.

PaxMondo -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/25/2017 3:42:32 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Unsure about devices.

this is correct.

Canoerebel -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/25/2017 4:10:17 AM)

I'd rather stick with funky weird ship names than enter the editor. That is a "no go zone" for me.

Canoerebel -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/25/2017 4:24:45 AM)

3/6/44

Strategic Map: Very little combat or armed conflict today, as Erik and I perpetrate a false war and try to figure out what we're doing and what the other guy's doing and why all those kids and drunks are waving their arms and running around hooting and yowling. Click fest extraordinaire for me.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/591DDC0580BA42EFBC2CD11A9FDEB51A.jpg[/image]

BBfanboy -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/25/2017 4:50:39 AM)

After you get him well enmeshed in your next major offensive, it would be interesting to see you take Cocos Is. and Christmas Is. (IO) to threaten the DEI from that direction. He would have a hard time pulling together the forces needed to take them back without creating weakness somewhere else!
As always, Japan just cannot cover everything.

Canoerebel -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/25/2017 6:50:30 AM)

Thanks, BB. That's a good idea.

I also took note of crsutton's suggestion of a carrier raid on DEI oil targets.

witpqs -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/25/2017 12:38:40 PM)

Dan, You realize you are dominating the AAR section?! [:D]

Canoerebel -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/25/2017 1:48:07 PM)

Entropy. It's the natural order of things.

Canoerebel -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/25/2017 2:12:50 PM)

3/6/44

Allied Ship Losses: The losses look light in every category except BBs. And even BBs are fine.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/420BCC78DE27455FB225162340B0392C.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/25/2017 2:23:25 PM)

3/6/44

Allied Fleet Carriers: The Allied fleet carrier OOB is pretty powerful. Japan has lost more fleet carriers than the Allies have. Since this is a Scenario 1 match, that's significant. It's as though there was a historical Battle of Midway....or better.

But there are a few fleet carrier that need time in the yards. I'll probably want those "fixed" before doing anything deep. In the meantime, though, the Allies should be able to carry on with operations on the frontiers.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/4FF620E8791D4515B743960FFC14FD95.jpg[/image]

Lokasenna -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/25/2017 2:42:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

quote:

quote:

quote:

Unsure about devices.

I am upgrading TOE in Rangoon and Pegu and the only HQ around are 14th Army and some corp and air. SE Asia is in Calcutta or Chittagong. And my American base forces are upgrading TOE everywhere on a somewhat random basis but upgrading none the less. Seems like base size and supply are the biggest factors. Every American infantry unit has upgraded TOE on schedule and they are scattered all over the place.

But I am a bit careless at times and it could be that they are were in range of a HQ at the right time.

I think 14th Army might be a command HQ, though? I know there's an American one that shows up that isn't a "theater" HQ.

Lokasenna -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (8/25/2017 2:42:26 PM)

quote:

Dan, You realize you are dominating the AAR section?! [:D]

Enablers.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI