RE: Notes from a Small Island (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

BBfanboy -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/2/2017 5:23:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Long Term: The plans have been made, for better or worse, richer or poorer, in sickness and in health.

Until Sudden Carrier Death Syndrome makes you depart? [:(]

Not gonna happen, you have a very tough hide! [:)]

Chickenboy -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/2/2017 5:26:04 PM)

You didn't forbid such postulation, so here's my guess:

With Rabaul and Manus in Allied hands, that's a pretty interesting setup for a mid-level leapfrog to Hollandia and maybe a bigger step to Babeldoab, Palau and / or the Vogelkopf, with a preference for the former two. That would seriously unhinge his SWPac LOS and further provide a springboard into the Celebes / Sulu Sea region, Morotai and, later, Mindanao. It would also threaten the Western approaches to Truk and the Marianas, channeling him into a narrow LOS back to the home islands.

I believe that you will not-at this time-approach Sumatra or Java from the IO. Your supply issues and troop / ship dispositions do not currently favor such a move. A concerted move into the southern DEI will take too much time and blood against formidable defenses. Like King and MacArthur, et. al., You are looking at leapfrogging strategies from your current forward positions to buy real estate at a modest cost.

BBfanboy -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/2/2017 6:05:22 PM)

Dan's leapfrog plan ...

Edit: disregard - image did not retain animation in conversion to GIF.

Canoerebel -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/2/2017 7:00:55 PM)

Balaam and his ass is a great story from Scripture.

About six years ago, wife and I taught the church youth group during Vacation Bible School. We decided to spend our time teaching some of the funny stories in the Bible. Now, probably a lot of folks aren't familiar with humor in the Bible, but it's there with some really good stories. In the end, the youth voted on the story of Elijah and the prophets of Baal at Mount Carmel.

My wife has been to Israel about four times, including a visit to Mount Carmel.

Chickenboy -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/2/2017 8:17:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Edit: disregard

You goin' for the hat trick on 'posting fails' today, BBfanboy? [:D]

Also, should we disregard this thread? [&:]

Canoerebel -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/2/2017 8:23:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

You didn't forbid such postulation, so here's my guess:

With Rabaul and Manus in Allied hands, that's a pretty interesting setup for a mid-level leapfrog to Hollandia and maybe a bigger step to Babeldoab, Palau and / or the Vogelkopf, with a preference for the former two. That would seriously unhinge his SWPac LOS and further provide a springboard into the Celebes / Sulu Sea region, Morotai and, later, Mindanao. It would also threaten the Western approaches to Truk and the Marianas, channeling him into a narrow LOS back to the home islands.

I believe that you will not-at this time-approach Sumatra or Java from the IO. Your supply issues and troop / ship dispositions do not currently favor such a move. A concerted move into the southern DEI will take too much time and blood against formidable defenses. Like King and MacArthur, et. al., You are looking at leapfrogging strategies from your current forward positions to buy real estate at a modest cost.

The Allies also have Madang and Hansa Bay, so they're in close proximity to Hollandia, etc.

Joseph had his troops prepped for there and places like Wolei and Mindanao. They played much further into the game when one of his carriers ate a torp during the opening moments of the Wolei invasion.

So I have a lot of units prepped for that vector of attack. And my base of operations is perfectly set up. On the down side, Erik has been through this once (with Joseph) and knows many of these things.

So, do I use the well-orchestrated base of operations and prep to continue on Joseph's vector or do I forego? The decision was made on day one or two of the game (two weeks ago).

Grfin Zeppelin -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/2/2017 11:31:08 PM)

It just hit me like a truck.
The name of the AAR is a reference to Letters from Iwo Jima right ?

MakeeLearn -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/2/2017 11:34:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

It just hit me like a truck.
The name of the AAR is a reference to Letters from Iwo Jima right ?

A Civy reference
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4332189&mpage=1&key=#
quote:

I'll conclude this first post by saying that the title for the AAR comes from a Bill Bryson book. Bryson is an American who moved to England for many years before returning home (and I think he may now be back in England)? For some reason, Obvert aka Eric has always reminded me of Bryson. I considered using "A Walk in the Woods" or "A Walk in the Jungle" but settled for this.

Grfin Zeppelin -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/2/2017 11:53:33 PM)

Oh [:(]

Lowpe -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/3/2017 12:28:50 AM)

quote:

So, do I use the well-orchestrated base of operations and prep to continue on Joseph's vector or do I forego? The decision was made on day one or two of the game (two weeks ago).

Keep us in suspense....that is your motus operandi! [&o]

Drakanel -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/3/2017 9:20:38 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

Keep us in suspense....that is your motus operandi! [&o]

I agree, it's fine that we don't know. Makes for an entertaining wait. I still think you're likely to to hit something very much north and cold. I might be wrong of course. The straight hit on DEI from the Indian ocean is fascinating, but I don't know if it's also plausible :)

BTW Lowpe, it's modus operandi [:D]

Grfin Zeppelin -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/3/2017 11:50:13 AM)

I am certain Canorebel has a motus operandi too. [:D]

Canoerebel -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/3/2017 1:40:47 PM)

I won't reveal nor provide helpful clues. For now all the prep - all the clicking - will go on as behind a curtain. For better or worse (again, that phrase), I am the Great Oz!

Wait....Oz? Is that a clue?

P.S. Fraulein Zeppelin's idea that "Letters from a Small Island" might be a play on "Letters from Iwo Jima" was a much more clever idea than the actual idea I went with.

Chickenboy -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/3/2017 6:38:49 PM)

quote:

Most Japanese players have a defensive moatus operandi for the later game. [;)]

BBfanboy -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/3/2017 7:40:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Most Japanese players have a defensive moatus operandi for the later game. [;)]

Turns out the Pacific Ocean is not a big enough moat ...

Lowpe -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/3/2017 8:33:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drakanel

I am an ugly American, and reserve the right to butcher any other foreign language, living or dead, either in spelling, pronunciation, or usage. In addition, I can wear really loud shirts when travelling.

PS: I also reserve the right to butcher my own language, since by definition it is foreign too![:D]

witpqs -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/4/2017 2:05:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drakanel

I am an ugly American, and reserve the right to butcher any other foreign language, living or dead, either in spelling, pronunciation, or usage. In addition, I can wear really loud shirts when travelling.

PS: I also reserve the right to butcher my own language, since by definition it is foreign too![:D]

OK, that is your mottled operandi. [:D]

Chickenboy -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/4/2017 2:53:43 AM)

I was thinking it involved slapping the sides of one's acquaintances' heads side to side and then up and down. Sometimes an eye poke or hammer fist to the forehead is applied.

No. Wait. Sorry. That was the Moedoes Operandi.

[image]local://upfiles/6968/20D094FA553248A0824F56ED17A34FC6.jpg[/image]

ETA: Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.

CaptBeefheart -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/4/2017 9:13:53 AM)

Great to see this AAR, CR. In the strategic map, you can de-select TFs and just show bases. That way you can keep your ship movements secret.

Another tip: You no doubt thought of this, but putting some naval support on Ramree sure would help once you send supply TFs that way.

Cheers,
CC

crsutton -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/4/2017 2:17:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

Great to see this AAR, CR. In the strategic map, you can de-select TFs and just show bases. That way you can keep your ship movements secret.

Another tip: You no doubt thought of this, but putting some naval support on Ramree sure would help once you send supply TFs that way.

Cheers,
CC

CC is right. Ramree is worth the investment of naval support. I pretty much ignored it last game and just relied on LSTs but it is not very difficult for the Allies to build up any level 0 port to level 3-which with naval support is not too bad.

Canoerebel -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/5/2017 5:15:21 PM)

3/22/44

SigInt: Robinson Crusoe may be in the game.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/1B00F7D724FB40F6A8831F1C83A9D5D9.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/5/2017 9:26:54 PM)

3/22/44

Strategic Map: Following Commander Cody's helpful suggestion (hey, why didn't I think of that!), here's what's going on.

The seemingly False War continues. I hope I'm not putting Erik to sleep. At the same time, I hope he's drowsy rather than all over what's going on behind the lines.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/ACE572909F6647CA9D36BD8B4043B334.jpg[/image]

MakeeLearn -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/5/2017 9:46:07 PM)

Operations in Burma mix well with operations that are conducted anywhere else in the Pacific.

[image]local://upfiles/55056/858FB3D02703407C84F9DB85743B7BDF.jpg[/image]

jwolf -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/5/2017 10:44:09 PM)

The cover art doesn't quite match the title. Still, it's rather ... provocative. [:D] MakeeLearn, where do you get this stuff? Actually, it's probably better not to know ...

BBfanboy -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/5/2017 11:34:42 PM)

Why does John have a "mighty fighter presence" in Eric's game against you? Worm-hole to another dimension? [:D]

Canoerebel -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/6/2017 12:44:05 AM)

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I saw it when I looked at the map but editing through Paint aint worth it. I knew you sharpshooters would pick out that target from 3,000 miles.

crsutton -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/6/2017 1:44:11 PM)

quote:

3/22/44

SigInt: Robinson Crusoe may be in the game.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/1B00F7D724FB40F6A8831F1C83A9D5D9.jpg[/image]

"That's strange, they told me to be sure to be on the beach exactly at three in order to catch the last departure boat."

Canoerebel -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/7/2017 7:52:26 PM)

3/24/44

Symptoms of Sleeping Sickness: Here's the combat report. It's symptomatic of what's visibly happening around the map - not much! (Now, you folks inclined to lift the hood and poke around the engine, just stop it! There's nothing important about Wessel Islands and there's no benefit in giving give this combat report any thought.)

Erik is so jaded by the lack of activity that he re-sent the 3/23 combat replay and 3/24 turn file. Not realizing he had done that, I loaded the 3/23 file, began viewing, and thought, "Hey, that same sub put a torp into the same Jap ship off Mindanao last turn!" That was my first clue that history was indeed repeating itself. So I went back to Erik to advise him we'd already completed this turn. It took him another day to get things sorted.

So we're back on track, though you viewers will be excused for not getting seriously jazzed by the inactivity that seems to predominate.

All I can say is that, behind the curtain, the Great Oz is clicking away frantically. Every turn.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/D91264264AD8467BA5CC97E25A9635C4.jpg[/image]

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/7/2017 8:57:04 PM)

He's already seen this stretch of highway.

Bif1961 -> RE: Notes from a Small Island (9/8/2017 1:09:16 AM)

It could have been a pilot who crashed near that island or a marooned sailor. there was also a few occasions when Japan left a small garrison and even 1 person on a Island of a larger Atol to keep watch over the material left there.

Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI