F-8J Crusader and its infrared surveillance camera (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Command: DLCs >> Command: Northern Inferno

HaughtKarl -> F-8J Crusader and its infrared surveillance camera (11/8/2017 2:49:37 PM)

I noticed the F-8 in the NI missions have AN/AAS-15 infrared/surveillance cameras with a range of 15nm, but from my experience they never detect anything. I experimented with land vehicles and with planes with their afterburners engaged but the MK1 eyeball is the sole sensor detecting these objects. I also can't find any info on this sensor: the Wikipedia reference source entry states that the infrared scanner "for use withe the four fuselage mounted Sidewinders".

http://www.utdallas.edu/library/specialcollections/hac/vought/history.pdf

jmarso -> RE: F-8J Crusader and its infrared surveillance camera (3/24/2018 3:29:50 PM)

When you are running an RF-8 over a target area, hit F2 and check the cloud deck. If he's going in above it he won't see a thing. Recon missions I almost always micromanage, using the F3 button to lay out his course, and then setting altitudes and speeds at each waypoint. If he's going into a threat area I send him through on burner and have a standoff tanker waiting when he's done. Even with some fighter and SEAD support they still get smoked better than half the time anyway, it seems like. Tough job.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI