RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports

warspite1 -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/6/2018 3:00:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

At least we have the answer to the question, "Could Graziani (sic) have been more aggressive"?
warspite1

In real life or the game? No way in real life I believe.

Real life. Seems as if there should be a larger penalty for Italian offensive actions.
warspite1

I disagree on the real life question - but that is perhaps for another thread.

warspite1 -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/6/2018 3:03:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

The instructions for this scenario are pretty poor tbh. There is mention of a ceasefire but the description is written like the player should know what the rule is already. I can't make head nor tail of it so will just ignore it and hope its not important.

Let me try to clarify:

The Axis player has an option to cancel the coming cease fire by disbanding a special, off-map, unit on turn 1. On that turn (only) you could have reconnoitered its hex to tell if that was optioned. It is withdrawn on turn 2, so you'll have to pull up a save if you haven't checked it yet. You really need to know if the cease fire is coming or not. It makes a big difference in your fight-or-flight decision.

Note that there is additional documentation for the scenario beyond the in-game briefing. It often has more info than the briefing.

[image]local://upfiles/14086/169CA664F1A644629A6F62D1EEC708CF.jpg[/image]
warspite1

Thanks - that helps a bit. Rather than carry on this thread I will take this off line to show what I mean.

Curtis Lemay -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/6/2018 3:23:45 PM)

quote:

Thanks - that helps a bit. Rather than carry on this thread I will take this off line to show what I mean.

No need to get worried, though. It appears that your opponent is about to forfeit the game by not capturing Sidi Barrani by the deadline (turn 5). So, you'll probably be doing a restart soon.

warspite1 -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/7/2018 7:00:00 AM)

Turn 5 - Axis Turn
1 October 1940

The Italians have mustered sufficiently strong forces to brush past my infantry screen and push on with his tanks to Sidi Barani where he manages to eject the British unit. The defence around Buq Buq also seems to simply crumble at this point.

[image]local://upfiles/28156/840F02D0F7C6423A936379C00F820B10.jpg[/image]

warspite1 -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/7/2018 7:10:26 AM)

Turn 5
1st October 1940

With Sidi Barani taken I decide to go all out to get it back.

Firstly I try and see what I can remove from Buq Buq, but just about every unit is engaged in trying to retreat and so each come to a pretty quick halt. The two artillery regiments do manage to get away although cannot get through the Italian screen guarding the north/south track in Sidi Barani.

To try and open up this road I start with an attack on a lone engineer unit. The engineer is forced to retreat and the 8th Hussars continue west in pursuit. The tankers destroy the engineer and continue on to the coast road. It would, with hindsight, have been better not to have tried to move units from Buq Buq before this and they would then have been able to assist - but I clearly had no way of knowing that the Hussars would force the Italian infantry off the coast road, and so sever the link to Sidi Barani from both directions.
[image]local://upfiles/28156/47373B9AF28342919E56C5D91F7D75EB.jpg[/image]

warspite1 -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/7/2018 7:40:03 AM)

Turn 5
1st October 1940

The next part of the operation was to try and remove the Italians from Sidi Barani. This operation opened with an artillery assault that cost the Italians a measly 5% losses. The attack itself - always a long shot - proved to be nothing more than a costly failure.

With hindsight there are a lot of things I would have done differently - but this is why I like playing games for the first time - one simply doesn't know what is likely, what is possible and so have to make seat of the pants decisions that can't be undone without the experience of past games to work with. I don't think there is anything I could have done to recapture Sidi Barani but I possibly could have stopped Italy getting it in the first place - a stronger screen for example.

Anyway, my opponent has told me he has activated the cease-fire option so let's see what happens now.

[image]local://upfiles/28156/8296CCE23F4D460FB402AD85D48CA52E.jpg[/image]

warspite1 -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/7/2018 8:35:49 AM)

Turn 6 - Axis Turn
5th October 1940

With the Italians having achieved their three aims - El Hamra (by turn 3), Sofafi (4) and Sidi Barani (5) and, having previously activated the cease-fire option, all Italian front-line* formations are not effectively frozen - as I understand it until Turn 25 when I launch my 5-day raid (Operation Compass).

* I'll have to see if there is a description of what constitutes front-line. In the meantime I can see from the playback that the Italians are bringing units forward.

[image]local://upfiles/28156/8A432E6003A640C8A7497C22398D9487.jpg[/image]

warspite1 -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/7/2018 8:48:47 AM)

Turn 6
5th October 1940

I seem to have access to most of my units so I guess I have between now and turn 25 to restore some kind of semblance of order and put the units where I want them in order to start the 5-day raid.

I will check on the rules and documentation to see what I can find re starting positions etc.

Edit: Right its "the 11 forward most Italian formations are placed in Garrison Deployment". Formations is not capitalised and so seemingly not a defined term so I am not sure what that relates to. Maybe the documentation will tell me.

Edit2: The documentation is written in the form of various changes to each version. I can't be doing with that and so search "cease" to see what I can find. Apparently I can start the raid early and "[The option] becomes available on turn 9. But note that exercising the option will cancel the Italian requirement to hold the three required hexes and any risk of an early ending of the game. It will also release the above far-rear Italian forces".

Mmmm I'll have to see what state my forces are in first. I think I will have to ask my opponent what "formation" means e.g. individual unit counter, battalion, brigade division aircraft??

I seem to have the New Zealand Division available - which seems strange. I am a little dubious of this so not sure how I will play it with them.

I will also need to double check what documentation there is to see if I can understand where the British units are allowed to move to during the cease-fire i.e. are they able to penetrate behind the Italian positions.

[image]local://upfiles/28156/1537D8B270F94D82B93D4403030D4179.jpg[/image]

Zorch -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/7/2018 12:15:28 PM)

More clarity about the scenario rules would be nice. A lot more.
It's hard to simulate such non-game events.

warspite1 -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/7/2018 1:12:06 PM)

quote:

More clarity about the scenario rules would be nice. A lot more.
It's hard to simulate such non-game events.
warspite1

I'll give a precis - or at least my understanding - shortly.

warspite1 -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/7/2018 1:13:04 PM)

Turn 7 - Axis Turn
9th October 1940

Not much for me to report on - just a lot of rear-area movement - seen from long distance!

warspite1 -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/7/2018 1:21:16 PM)

Turn 7
9th October 1940

I guess I need to work me out a plan!

Its more than a bit annoying that the Italians needed to capture Sidi Barani to meet the tests - but then not have to garrison this key place*.

There do not seem to be too many Italian units forward to try and surround and destroy. I think that an attack from the Oxford Circus/Piccadilly Circus area from 7th Armoured and a move along the coast road by infantry seems the best option.

* Or maybe that is just FOW!! I've just seen a unit south of Sidi Barani that I hadn't seen before....

[image]local://upfiles/28156/3548BAF9F3BF49FCABC915D4A18A0CD6.jpg[/image]

Curtis Lemay -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/7/2018 4:20:47 PM)

quote:

Edit: Right its "the 11 forward most Italian formations are placed in Garrison Deployment". Formations is not capitalised and so seemingly not a defined term so I am not sure what that relates to. Maybe the documentation will tell me.

See 8.6 in the manual.

quote:

Edit2: The documentation is written in the form of various changes to each version. I can't be doing with that and so search "cease" to see what I can find. Apparently I can start the raid early and "[The option] becomes available on turn 9. But note that exercising the option will cancel the Italian requirement to hold the three required hexes and any risk of an early ending of the game. It will also release the above far-rear Italian forces".

The Cease Fire has already canceled any remaining Italian requirements. If you cancel the Cease Fire early, you had better be ready for O'Connor's Raid right then.

quote:

I will also need to double check what documentation there is to see if I can understand where the British units are allowed to move to during the cease-fire i.e. are they able to penetrate behind the Italian positions.

The Cease Fire is not a "house rule". It is a game feature. It doesn't permit entering enemy owned hexes or any combat (there's a bug right now that allows air combat during Cease Fires - you two should agree to refrain from such). You should turn on ownership display again to see where you can't enter. (And why would you ever want it turned off?)

warspite1 -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/7/2018 4:55:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

See 8.6 in the manual.

The scenario briefing refers to formation - whereas it should refer to Formation i.e. it is a defined term and had it been capitalised I would have known to look in the manual. This is TOAW IV so this kind of thing - along with the scenario briefing not being searchable and in small font for old-timers like me, and the documentation being a cobble together of various changes to versions - is a little disappointing. Don't get me wrong, I am really, really enjoying this game - and I hope the AAR's help other players (along with the invaluable advice and tips from you and others) but am just providing honest feedback - good and bad. [:)]

quote:

The Cease Fire has already canceled any remaining Italian requirements. If you cancel the Cease Fire early, you had better be ready for O'Connor's Raid right then.

Understood thank-you. I suspect I won't, but that depends on how quickly my forces appear and are ready for action.

quote:

The Cease Fire is not a "house rule". It is a game feature. It doesn't permit entering enemy owned hexes or any combat (there's a bug right now that allows air combat during Cease Fires - you two should agree to refrain from such). You should turn on ownership display again to see where you can't enter. (And why would you ever want it turned off?)

Yes but I could not tell from the ownership display what I owned and what I didn't - or at least is not clear to me. I can get around it by simply trying to send a unit somewhere and seeing where the computer refuses to send me.

warspite1

Response in red.

warspite1 -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/7/2018 5:04:17 PM)

Turn 8 - Axis Turn
12th October 1940

More of the same. Long distance viewing of Italian units moving through the Jebel. I can't make out anything moving east of Tobruk - even to Bardia so that's good.

warspite1 -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/7/2018 5:05:42 PM)

Turn 8
12th October 1940

Another Italian unit has become clear, while a few others are no longer visible. I assumed these have not moved however. Not much to move this turn - bringing units up by rail where I can and all air units on rest.

warspite1 -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/7/2018 6:11:57 PM)

Turn 9 - Axis Turn
16th October 1940

Nothing to report

Turn 9
16th October 1940

I appear to have both the Kiwis and Aussies for this scenario - hussah! I continue to move units to the front. More of the enemy have become visible - there appears to be a large concentration around Bir Khamsa...

Orm -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/7/2018 7:03:28 PM)

quote:

Turn 7
9th October 1940

Its more than a bit annoying that the Italians needed to capture Sidi Barani to meet the tests - but then not have to garrison this key place*.

There do not seem to be too many Italian units forward to try and surround and destroy. I think that an attack from the Oxford Circus/Piccadilly Circus area from 7th Armoured and a move along the coast road by infantry seems the best option.

* Or maybe that is just FOW!! I've just seen a unit south of Sidi Barani that I hadn't seen before....

It sounds weird to me that the Italians can abandon during a truce what they fought hard to capture. [&:]

warspite1 -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/7/2018 7:23:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

Turn 7
9th October 1940

It sounds weird to me that the Italians can abandon during a truce what they fought hard to capture. [&:]
warspite1

See the asterix comment. I actually don't think they have (at least I hope not) I think instead this is FOW in play.

Orm -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/7/2018 8:02:00 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Turn 7
9th October 1940

warspite1

See the asterix comment. I actually don't think they have (at least I hope not) I think instead this is FOW in play.

Yes. I read the asterix comment. But even if they remain now and are just hidden by FOW it is interesting if they are allowed to withdraw before the truce has ended. If they can time the withdrawal just right then that would be bad in my humble opinion. Just a partial retreat seems good for the Italian player. But what do I know since I haven't played the game. [:)]

warspite1 -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/7/2018 8:10:57 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Turn 7
9th October 1940

warspite1

Yes. I read the asterix comment. But even if they remain now and are just hidden by FOW it is interesting if they are allowed to withdraw before the truce has ended. If they can time the withdrawal just right then that would be bad in my humble opinion. Just a partial retreat seems good for the Italian player. But what do I know since I haven't played the game. [:)]
warspite1

I don't think they can retreat - well if the Italians smash the British and can take and hold the three targets easily then they can. But in this game, the Italians got Sidi Barani by the skin of their teeth on the final turn allowed, and then had to survive a counter-attack, so there was no time to muck about withdrawing units.

warspite1 -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/7/2018 8:49:31 PM)

Turn 10 - Axis Turn
19th October 1940

Nothing to report

Turn 10
19th October 1940

The CW continues to build up, but there is nothing specific to report. I will post a picture once I can actually settle on a plan of action [8|]

Hyding -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/8/2018 3:19:15 AM)

Remember what was said about the 11 forward Italian formations beng locked in garrison mode. They will be unable to move during the ceasefire.

warspite1 -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/8/2018 4:14:47 PM)

Turn 11 - Axis Turn
23rd October 1940

Nothing to report - Its possible some units were moving away from the front (difficult to see because its zoomed out). Maybe the Italians are looking to hold further back with those units allowed to move....

Turn 11
23rd October 1940

The Poles become available - Huzzah! We love the Poles [&o]

warspite1 -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/8/2018 4:36:33 PM)

Apologies for the lack of excitement in the current turns while the ceasefire is in effect. I have it on good authority that messrs Wavell and O'Connor are currently engaged in earnest discussions vis-a-vis something called Compass.... stay tooned.

warspite1 -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/8/2018 5:53:43 PM)

Turn 12 - Axis Turn
26th October 1940

Nothing to report - barely any moves from the Italians

Turn 12
26th October 1940

I spend the turn moving my Poles forward to a place(es) yet to be determined.... I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure....

Zorch -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/8/2018 6:07:59 PM)

quote:

Apologies for the lack of excitement in the current turns while the ceasefire is in effect. I have it on good authority that messrs Wavell and O'Connor are currently engaged in earnest discussions vis-a-vis something called Compass.... stay tooned.

So many code names...Compass, Brevity, Battleaxe, Crusader, Supercharge...

AllenK -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/8/2018 7:01:45 PM)

quote:

Turn 12 - Axis Turn
26th October 1940

Nothing to report - barely any moves from the Italians

Turn 12
26th October 1940

I spend the turn moving my Poles forward to a place(es) yet to be determined.... I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure....

I used to think I had a split personality but now I'm in two minds about it.

warspite1 -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/8/2018 7:46:55 PM)

Turn 13 - Axis Turn
30th October 1940

Nothing to report - except the movement backwards may have been an illusion. There seems to be quite a bit of activity directly south of Tobruk.

Turn 13
30th October 1940

Still nothing to report i.e. no definitive plan decided upon.

warspite1 -> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) (1/8/2018 7:56:54 PM)

To those actually bothering to read my drivel and wondering just what in the name of Bonaparte's Balls is going on in the last few turns well here's my attempt at a summary that a grown-up who understands the game can correct so its accurate: [:D]

Historical:

The Italians ‘invaded’ Egypt in September 1940. Although under-equipped, under-strength and with supply issues, Mussolini ordered Field Marshal Graziani to invade or be sacked.

Graziani’s 10th Army marched just 60 miles into Egypt when he stopped awaiting supplies and reinforcements.
The British, despite being heavily out-numbered, decided to counter attack in December 1940. In less than two months they swept the Italian army out of Egypt and out of the eastern portion of Libya (Cyrenaica) taking between 100,000-150,000 men prisoner for the loss of 500 dead.

Try war gaming that! The Italians would never invade Egypt but sit back and hope Rommel arrives in time.

Game:

So this game tries to re-create what happened whilst not straight-jacketing a player.

In order not to lose the game, the Italians must gain three objectives in Egypt no later than turns 3 (El Hamra), 4 (Sofafi) and 5 (Sidi Barani). If they fail its game over so they have to go for it with all they can. But once that third objective is held a ceasefire comes into effect. Their 11 forward most Formations are frozen in place until one turn after the British launch their own offensive on Turn 25. The ceasefire is in place between turns 5 and 25 – mirroring Graziani waiting for supplies and reinforcements and the British preparing for their own counter-attack. This stops the Italians simply retreating back to better prepared positions. This is what is happening now, the lack of action is because the ceasefire is active.

However, this is not a simulation and there was an alternative route that the Italian player could have pursued. The Italian player, if he thinks he can do better than real life, could have chosen to cancel the ceasefire option on turn one. However, if this is cancelled and the British take back Sidi Barani (+ one of the other two objectives) before the British counter attack is due to begin, then again, the Italians lose the game.

The British have the option of launching the raid earlier than December. From Turn 9 the British can launch their counter-attack (the 11 Italian Formations previously frozen are unfrozen on the turn following the attack). This has potential consequences for the British. By doing this the Italians no longer risk an early end to the game (the Italians can retreat and do not have to hold the three objectives). The Italian rear-area forces are also released as a result of this action.

So as things stand we are in ceasefire mode, shuffling our forces around until the earlier of my attacking the Italians early or waiting until turn 25....

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI