RE: Question re US Option Occupy Greenland & Iceland (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames

Orm -> RE: Question re US Option Occupy Greenland & Iceland (6/17/2018 3:52:25 PM)

I also want to point out that it does not say "any that survive the dice roll" but any that survive. The ships in Norway survive and hence they are part of any!

michaelbaldur -> RE: Question re US Option Occupy Greenland & Iceland (6/17/2018 3:58:31 PM)

i know it does not make much sense. but we spend alot of time on this.

there is nothing, anywhere in the rules that say that naval units are rebased from neutral hexes.

and ADG have confirmed this.

Orm -> RE: Question re US Option Occupy Greenland & Iceland (6/17/2018 3:59:44 PM)

Where have they confirmed this?

michaelbaldur -> RE: Question re US Option Occupy Greenland & Iceland (6/17/2018 4:06:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Where have they confirmed this?

commination with the game programmer

paulderynck -> RE: Question re US Option Occupy Greenland & Iceland (6/17/2018 5:26:59 PM)

quote:

So you are saying that the example completely ignores to tell us what happens with the ships in Norway?!

I claim that it is pretty clear. If the ships are in Allied controlled hexes they are rolled for, and those that survive are rebased. And if they are not in Allied controlled hexes they are not rolled for and are then rebased.

I don't think the example even postulates there were any German ships in Norway. It's talking about ships in Allied controlled hexes and says they must rebase. It says Norway goes neutral, so it's impossible for ships there to be in Allied controlled hexes and have to rebase for that reason.

It would be a better example if it had stated there were German ships in Norway and said what happened to them, but that is typical of WiF rule book examples and results in falsely extrapolating them into discussions like this one.

MWiF may be programmed one way but the discussion spawned based on playing over the board and using RAW7. It can be one way or it can be the other way. When in doubt roll a die. It's not a game breaker.

When I get into situations like this when playing I say: "OK we've argued for an hour, let's roll a die. 1 to 6 it's my way, 7 to 10 it's yours." [;)]

Orm -> RE: Question re US Option Occupy Greenland & Iceland (6/17/2018 5:33:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

So you are saying that the example completely ignores to tell us what happens with the ships in Norway?!

I claim that it is pretty clear. If the ships are in Allied controlled hexes they are rolled for, and those that survive are rebased. And if they are not in Allied controlled hexes they are not rolled for and are then rebased.

I don't think the example even postulates there were any German ships in Norway. It's talking about ships in Allied controlled hexes and says they must rebase. It says Norway goes neutral, so it's impossible for ships there to be in Allied controlled hexes and have to rebase for that reason.

It would be a better example if it had stated there were German ships in Norway and said what happened to them, but that is typical of WiF rule book examples and results in falsely extrapolating them into discussions like this one.

MWiF may be programmed one way but the discussion spawned based on playing RAW7. It can be one or it can be other. When in doubt roll a die. It's not a game breaker.

I would suggest that the example tells us what happens to both ships in Germany and in Norway. Otherwise it would be a very poor example.

Anyway. Are you saying that if there were German ships in Norway, they would become Japanese and then remain in Norway until Japan so desire to move them?

paulderynck -> RE: Question re US Option Occupy Greenland & Iceland (6/17/2018 5:34:49 PM)

Yes on a roll of 1 to 6.

But as I stated if you read the example, it's impossible for it to be talking about ships in Norway.

Orm -> RE: Question re US Option Occupy Greenland & Iceland (6/17/2018 5:36:07 PM)

quote:

It's not a game breaker.

It might not be a game breaker. But I sure would find it frustrating with CW ships in Crete that I can not do anything about without declaring war on Crete.

paulderynck -> RE: Question re US Option Occupy Greenland & Iceland (6/17/2018 5:39:03 PM)

quote:

quote:

It's not a game breaker.

It might not be a game breaker. But I sure would find it frustrating with CW ships in Crete that I can not do anything about without declaring war on Crete.

If Crete is neutral (and assuming they don't have to rebase) then once they leave they can't come back and they can't do you much harm sitting in port. if Crete became CW controlled, then you should be able to do something.

Centuur -> RE: Question re US Option Occupy Greenland & Iceland (6/17/2018 7:58:11 PM)

If hex control changes, that means that you don't control the hex anymore. Therefore, you have to rebase...

You cannot have warships belonging to a nation at war sitting in a neutral port. Those ships would be subject to the 24 hours rule (like the Graf Spee)...

paulderynck -> RE: Question re US Option Occupy Greenland & Iceland (6/17/2018 10:03:53 PM)

Face it. There's nothing in RAW7 that is definitive.

Centuur -> RE: Question re US Option Occupy Greenland & Iceland (6/18/2018 8:59:07 AM)

quote:

Or in RAW8, I believe... [:-]

paulderynck -> RE: Question re US Option Occupy Greenland & Iceland (6/19/2018 5:45:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

quote:

Or in RAW8, I believe... [:-]

Au Contraire.

quote:

Whenever a hex changing control leaves a unit illegally stacked (see 9.2, 13.3.2 US entry options 7, 18 & 44; 3.7.1, 13.7.3, 13.7.5, 17.4.5, 19.5.1 & 20), it (PiF option 46: and its pilot, if any) is removed from the
map and placed on the production circle (see turn record chart) to arrive as a reinforcement (see 4) in 2 turns.

Shannon V. OKeets -> RE: Question re US Option Occupy Greenland & Iceland (6/20/2018 7:59:42 PM)

My take on this thread is that there is a bug as reported in the first post in this thread.

===

Unless I am mistaken, the MWIF code handles naval units in hexes that become neutral as having to rebase. The only difference in processing the same units in hexes that become enemy controlled, is that in the former case they do not roll for captured/destroyed/escape, while in the latter case they do.

Whether that is the 'correct' interpretation of the WIFFE rules is open to debate. But I see no compelling reason to rewrite the code.

paulderynck -> RE: Question re US Option Occupy Greenland & Iceland (6/20/2018 9:39:57 PM)

If located there when conquest happens, MWiF's rebase and disorganize (since it happens after the re-org phase) amounts to almost exactly the same as the rule in RAW8.

paulderynck -> RE: Question re US Option Occupy Greenland & Iceland (6/20/2018 9:44:43 PM)

About the bug - the US can still declare and occupy them unless the axis still has a unit there, so the axis conquest is ineffectual unless they maintain a garrison.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI