RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

Canoerebel -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (5/16/2019 3:50:14 PM)

Hey, that sounds fun! Be sure to pack a Speedo. John enjoys sitting in a lawn chair in his front yard, watching the men of his neighborhood jog, mow the grass, and putter about.

On a more serious note, post an AAR of your visit. I hope y'all have a great time. Tell Paula hello too!

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (5/16/2019 10:25:03 PM)

Hey Dan! If you were out it might be a perfect threesome. Oooopps. Did that come out wrong?

Hmmmm...

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (5/18/2019 4:56:51 AM)

It is very strange KNOWING a person for 12 years and having spoken to them for 1,000s of hours to not KNOW what they look like. Pretty crazy when you think about it. Today saw NY59GIANTS and I meet up at Denver International Airport. Michael and I have been through a BUNCH and it has been a rock solid, enjoyable day. The relationship built over all these years just continued on but is now at a different level. Does that make sense? Hope so. We will post some pictures of our rendezvous at some point this weekend.i

Between Dan and Michael, I could not imagine life without either of these weird, strange human beings!

Been a great ride all these years gang.

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (5/20/2019 8:24:44 PM)

The whole point of bringing Michael out here has now been fulfilled. WE have TRACKER running!
[:-]

Lowpe -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (5/20/2019 8:48:42 PM)

Congratulations on the face to face and getting tracker running![:)]

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (5/20/2019 9:39:10 PM)

We shall Post some pictures later on in the main forum.

Tracker is a HUGE boon! Anyone who has never used it---SHOULD!

Canoerebel -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (5/20/2019 10:14:39 PM)

The bigger question, John, is whether Michael has your economy running again?

It's super that you two got together and had a good time.

I've never met any forumites. I missed an opportunity to meet up with Chickenboy (Andre) years ago, when he came to Atlanta. I was afraid that he might be gender fluid.

I don't know what most forumites look like. The exceptions? Bullwinkle, who posted a memorable photo of him and Girl of the Prairie at the Minnesota State Fair a few years back....and crsutton, who often posts photos of himself with unusual vehicles plus a woman who has an unusually large and pliable cat!

obvert -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (5/21/2019 10:53:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I've never met any forumites. I missed an opportunity to meet up with Chickenboy (Andre) years ago, when he came to Atlanta. I was afraid that he might be gender fluid.

I don't know what most forumites look like. The exceptions? Bullwinkle, who posted a memorable photo of him and Girl of the Prairie at the Minnesota State Fair a few years back....and crsutton, who often posts photos of himself with unusual vehicles plus a woman who has an unusually large and pliable cat!

Don't forget the infamous GreyJoy Penguin suit!!

obvert -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (5/21/2019 10:55:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

It is very strange KNOWING a person for 12 years and having spoken to them for 1,000s of hours to not KNOW what they look like. Pretty crazy when you think about it. Today saw NY59GIANTS and I meet up at Denver International Airport. Michael and I have been through a BUNCH and it has been a rock solid, enjoyable day. The relationship built over all these years just continued on but is now at a different level. Does that make sense? Hope so. We will post some pictures of our rendezvous at some point this weekend.i

Between Dan and Michael, I could not imagine life without either of these weird, strange human beings!

Been a great ride all these years gang.

Awesome. So good to have some face to face even if there has been communication.

I've met a few, and as always the offer is on if you're in London or surrounding areas, I'll treat you to a pint!

Lecivius -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (5/21/2019 1:46:14 PM)

quote:

I don't know what most forumites look like.

Trust me, you don't want to know what I look like...[sm=vomit-smiley-020.gif]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (5/21/2019 1:59:14 PM)

Obvert, you're exactly right! I thought of Greyjoy and his penguin outfit yesterday, after I made that post. That guy was hilarious with the most winning personality.

Lecivius: [:)]

Chickenboy -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (5/21/2019 3:34:54 PM)

quote:

Nah. It's because I would have rooted for the other team that the Braves were playing. And because you said that your ankle bracelet precluded your leaving the homestead. [:'(]

quote:

I think it was the Birkenstocked crsutton that had posed with a picture of Atkinson in front of his home a few years back?

Chickenboy -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (5/21/2019 3:35:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

quote:

I don't know what most forumites look like.

Trust me, you don't want to know what I look like...[sm=vomit-smiley-020.gif]

We trust you! We trust you! [:'(]

CaptBeefheart -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (5/22/2019 2:27:21 AM)

Obvert's the only forumite I've met, and he's much handsomer than myself, although maybe not quite as dashing as young GreyJoy in a penguin suit.

Cheers,
CB

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (7/8/2019 1:00:33 AM)

How many readers would like a serious update of the campaign? It would be a snapshot because I don't have time to spend on a full-time AAR anymore.

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (7/8/2019 1:11:44 AM)

HELL...I have made more Posts today then in the last two months COMBINED!

Bearcat2 -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (7/8/2019 1:12:15 AM)

A snapshot would be great, especially wondering on how your economy is doing.

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (7/10/2019 1:57:28 AM)

April 17, 1943 was a pretty good day for the Empire! Think I stunned my opponent by breaking out of the maneuvering box I've been in for several weeks.

My CVs set upon CV Ranger and CVL's Hermes, Melbourne, and Wellington. They only had a few planes on board when a massed strike of 174 Zero, 87 JUdy, and 62 Kate/Jills arrive. No CAP!

Results:
CV Ranger 4TT with 2 Ammo Storage explosions---SUNK!
CVL Hermes 6 500Kg Bombs and 2 TTs---probably Sunk.
CVL Melbourne 1 500Kg Bomb and a TT
CVL Wellington 5 500Kg Bombs, 1 TT, and an Ammo Storage Explosion---Possibly Sunk.

Losses (for a 1943 CV VICTORY) were 3 ZERO, 3 DB, and 5 TB. Very nice.

Allied naval power projection in the IO for the near future is done with until reinforcements arrive or are brought in...

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (7/10/2019 2:48:51 PM)

Go another sinking sound. Looks like we got a CV and two CVL with that ambush. BANZAI!

He still has his fighters all concentrated at Trivandrum and Colombo making these west India Ports look very inviting. Bombay, in particular, has bunches of ships in it. YUM! Hmmm...

Cheesesteak -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (7/10/2019 6:40:58 PM)

Congrats on the scratched flattops. How many days sail are you away from potential targets? Where are your other CVs?

I should add that I'm reading both AARs (currently catching up on your opponents).

Regarding balancing, I like the ideas put forward previously, but would offer a potential counter argument: 1-1 additions at the beginning of war can dilute the relative power advantage Japan enjoys.

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (7/10/2019 8:22:35 PM)

What do you mean 1-1 additions?

Plan to do a comprehensive report as to strength, plans, and economy.

Cheesesteak -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (7/10/2019 9:29:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

What do you mean 1-1 additions?

Plan to do a comprehensive report as to strength, plans, and economy.

Should've been more explicit, my bad. Let's say you add 1 CV to each side at the start of the game. Ignoring factors such as exp, endurance, location... in absolute terms, this is a 1-1 addition to each side. If each side had dozens of CVs on December 7th, the addition of one to each side wouldn't have too much affect on the overall balance. Each side doesn't have dozens, however. It's easy to overstate the importance of CVs, but the starting ratio of KB to (baby) Death Star slants heavily in Japan's favor. One for one additions to either side would dilute this from (ex:6-3 to 10-7). While Japan still has more, the power projection could potentially decrease due to the relative force differential.

Again, this ignores a multitude of determining factors, so it merely serves as a high-level talking point. Still, I think the RA mod is particularly entertaining bc it blunts that brutally slanted starting ratio, but keeps the IJN relevant longer. BTS seems fascinating, but I only have so much time for so many games haha.

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (7/10/2019 10:19:54 PM)

Now that makes total sense. Thanks for the clarification.

The Between the Storms Mods were started from the writing of my Masters Thesis at UNC in Greeley in 1998. Full title was Between the Storms: The Impact of Naval Disarmament on the United States Navy, 1922-1936.

The Treaty Period has always fascinated me and after we created Reluctant Admiral (a book I became acquainted with when I wrote my Thesis) it seemed logical to play in the Treaty Years. Your supposition is correct about 1-for-1 additions. The Mod's biggest changes are directly correlated to the Japanese winning a 10:10:7 ratio rather then 5:5:3. This allows for a bit of heavier building in a highly regulated and practical manner.

All other additions are done in the 1-for-1 mold. Example are the experimental Hybrid Cruisers. The Big Three Navies agree to allow the experiment to occur and, just like the BB--BC conversions allowed at Washington, each Navy is allowed two to build. More large, experimental SS are allowed but are kept in proper ratio. Without issue, I can go category by category from SS--DD--CL/CA--Capital Ships--Carriers and explain how it was a balanced set of additions adhering to the agreed upon Treaty formula.

Hope that makes sense!

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (7/10/2019 10:22:24 PM)

April 18, 1943
Victory Point Status

OK. Here is the current VP screen. Take a look:

[image]local://upfiles/18041/392EE921260444448B1F7EA58C667C7E.jpg[/image]

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (7/10/2019 10:36:04 PM)

April 18, 1943
Fleet Losses

Here are major losses for the two Fleets:

Japan
CVL Shoho
CVE Brazil Maru and Hosho
BB Hyuga
CA Suzuya
CL Kinugasa and 9 of the old Sendai/Naka CLs
DD 21
SS 14 I-Boats and 1 Ro-

Allies
CV Ranger
CVL Charlotte, Melbourne, and Hermes (not Varenne)
CVE Nassau and Sangamon
BB Idaho
BC Repulse
CA 1
CL 13
DD 41
SS 43 YUP! A total of 43 sunk. I have had several BIG Port strikes sinking 9-12 at a whack. Heck...got to sink them SOMEHOW---RIGHT??!!

[image]local://upfiles/18041/6E56F0092C46459DA3645374E01B3F69.jpg[/image]

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (7/10/2019 10:38:13 PM)

Keep in mind with those losses, I lost a CA, CL, and 6 DDs in a series of night fights at Colombo on April 13, 1943.

The Fleet is intact. Unlike my fight with Dan, I've managed to not take huge losses in DDs. That was terrible. I've built as many as I've lost and am probably up a few from the starting number.

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (7/10/2019 11:14:16 PM)

April 18, 1943
Ceylon and the IO

The enemy is tied to Colombo in Ceylon. He landed without ENOUGH to move quickly and capture bases. My initial plan was to fight a delaying action to keep him from Burma, Malaya, and Sumatra. That plan is now morphing as I make a serious attempt to force a surrender of 2 ID and another 8-10 Allied units.

Several months ago I moved the entire Japanese Battle Fleet to Singapore and waiting for the enemy to approach. At the same time I brought a substantial CV contingent to the area as well. Well...here we are now and it is just getting interesting.

In Ceylon are two full strength ID and two full strength Brigades. These units have concentrated just north of Colombo and are preparing to move north. Though he has overwhelming airpower, Sean refuses to use it. I have gotten the AF at Jaffna (Sz-3), Dambulla (Near Sz-3), Koggala (Sz-2) and Trincomalee (Sz-5) to near full repair. Nearly 200 Fighters are here with another 300 about to transfer from Burma to Port Blair to Ceylon.

To make a true attempt at capture of Colombo I need to be able to end the chance of his older BBs bombarding my troops. With the CV Victory just yesterday, that is a real possibility.

Here is the Fleet deployment near Colombo:

South of Ceylon

CVE TF--4 CVE (94 M5 Zero), 2 CA, 2 CLAA, and 8 DD
STF 2 CB, 3 CL, and 6 DD
STF 3 BB (BatDiv1 Nagato, Mutsu, and Tosa), 1 CA, 2 CL, and 6 DD

Off Map
Going back-and-forth from engagements to fuel and replenish at Sabang, SUMATRA. My Fleet Train is based here (5 AKE, 2 AS, and 2 AD):

STF 2 BC and 6 DD
STF 3 BB, 1 CL, and 6 DD
STF 2 CB, 2 CA, and 5 DD

Since there is no threat to Burma at all, I am preparing to bring in two more ID IF--key statement--I think I can actually take Colombo.

[image]local://upfiles/18041/A9BCEC861701487B91189EBFEFE0C6DD.jpg[/image]

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (7/10/2019 11:21:36 PM)

April 18, 1943
Kido Butai-2

Fresh off a full speed jump from their patrol box sits 25 warships of the Kido Butai. Composition:

CarDiv1--Akagi, Amagi, and CVL Karasu
CarDiv2--Hiryu, Soryu, and CVL Ryukaku
CarDiv3--CVL Mizuho, Nisshin, Chitose, and Chiyoda
CAV Kushiro
5 CA
2 CS
6 DD

Total Airpower: 513 Planes--263 M5 Zero, 104 Judy, and 149 Kate/Jill

Fuel is low--though 5 AOs are coming--and I see all sorts of possibilities with Port Strikes. There are 40+ ships disbanded at Cochin, Trivandrum, Mandalore, and 70+ at Bombay. Make a slow move south so Sean THINKS I am retiring while doing recon on all these bases. Plan to make a regular speed move and strike Bombay the day after tomorrow if I see now increase in Fighter strength. There is little-to-no threat of aerial attack so I will reduce CAP to just 20-30% to allow for a MASSIVE Strike.

After that, we shall retire towards Addu Atoll and refuel.

[image]local://upfiles/18041/1D1A7278D5A748F083615A7B966EA47F.jpg[/image]

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (7/10/2019 11:22:41 PM)

OK. Done for a while. Questions?

Cheesesteak -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (7/11/2019 12:16:56 AM)

Would Cochin be a good backup target considering it's proximity to Colombo? Or do you have the approach well covered by LBA. Seems.like your fighter cover won't fail anytime.soon.

Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI