RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/15/2019 3:25:04 PM)

Almost forgot Burma!

Opening the attack in China has awakened Allied air over the skies of Burma. The following bases are get Allied Sweeps:

Magwe TEN Sweeps
Katha One Sweep
NW Katha Two Sweeps

The afternoon sees a massed display of Allied Bombers hitting Magwe. A total of 93 4EB and 24 2EB hit this base. AF takes it on the chin but there are only Recon planes flying here.

Prepare Rangoon for the inevitable Assault from the air.

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/15/2019 11:38:31 PM)

June 29, 1943

The Allies have been pretty successful in using their SS aggressively the last few weeks. Japan has taken hits with three CVs each taking a single TT.

Over the last 7-10 days, the tide has been turning. More-and-more SS are hit from ASW TF and from the air. Losses have begun to mount and the Allies MUST feel it. I know that the Americans produce about 5,000,149 SS during the war but these losses are really mounting up. That statement does not include the damaged boats.

Today sees an SS sink an AG entering Madang. In return the Americans lose TWO Fleet Boats as USS Barb and USS Whale are both forced to the surface and then sunk.

Want to see an interesting stat that I never seen in all my years? Look at how Barb was sunk!

[image]local://upfiles/18041/401F3226D39C4854ABDCE695BBBEFF66.jpg[/image]

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/15/2019 11:39:34 PM)

Anyone ever seen an SS forced to the surface and then sunk by TORPEDO?

RangerJoe -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/15/2019 11:47:22 PM)

If have seen them fired at subs, but I don't recall seeing one sunk but I am still relatively new to the game.

So the USS Barb will not invade Japan, blow up a train in Japan, nor dodge the Japanese retaliation for over an hour on the surface after visiting a Japanese held port.

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/17/2019 8:00:48 PM)

June 30, 1943

USS Tunny AND KXVII are sunk near Palembang. Air Search detected them, I formed three ASW TF and they coordinated their attacks beautifully.

Add the Bouvier and the Cuttlefish heavily damaged near Rabaul and it is a pretty good last day of June 1943.

Here are the VICTORY POINTS for the month:

Japan
July 1st 48,687
June 1st 45,116
Gain 3,571 VP

Allies
July 1st 31,057
June 1st 28,618
Gain 2,439 VP

Japan GAINS 1,132 VP over the Allies for the month in which they launch a massed assault.

What will July bring? Sean tends to alternate his offensives and is a little predictable right now. Easy answer: Burma--Malaya--Sumatra. We are prepared and looked forward to a non-CV supported operation by the Allies! Will detail in a bit.

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/18/2019 6:33:43 AM)

July 1, 1943
China

China has somehow become a desperate plight for the Allied Player. To be truthful, I had no real idea how much impact no supply had over MONTHS of time. I mean it is logical--Just didn't think about it.

The Chinese launch a surprise assault out of their position in Chungking where 5 IDs (broken into components to raise the Fort #s) and 5 Art Reg have encircled them for nearly a year. Forts are 4--nearly 5 on the Japanese entrenchments.

Something happens that I have not seen before. The attack occurs but the message 'assault collapses and attackers seek cover' appeared. I got no AV vs AV number simply: 2,100 Chinese Casualties (125 Squads) and 3 units destroyed. The message makes sense and sound terrible. Can anyone expound on it a bit?

[image]local://upfiles/18041/0252335E0504463DA824239CD040030C.jpg[/image]

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/18/2019 6:36:51 AM)

July 1, 1943
Cape Gloucester

The Infantry Brigade that landed here several days ago launches its first assault. Under the cover of a Battlecruiser Bombardment and 68 Bombers attacking, it scores a 2-1 result and drops Forts to ZERO. Shift over to a Shock Attack for tomorrow, bring in another Bombardment TF, and add more bombers to the attack. Add LRCAP from Madang and Rabaul to deal with any 4EB that might appear.

Looks GREAT! Perhaps another surrender and 4-6,000 more troops enter the POW Camps??!! We shall see...

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/18/2019 1:49:38 PM)

Here is the exact Combat Report:

[image]local://upfiles/18041/2566B41B982441D3B6433E7588AFD8A4.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/18/2019 1:56:17 PM)

That looks like an attack by one unit, possibly to test the waters.

durnedwolf -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/18/2019 2:20:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

That looks like an attack by one unit, possibly to test the waters.

Combat report shows 3 allied units destroyed but it also shows only 1,960 troops and 49 guns attacked... I wonder why it shows an assault value of 4,854 VS 2,140 for the defenders when you've got like 35:1 in troops for that engagement. Are most of your troops resting or something?

I've never seen anything like that either but my WAG is that all of the Chinese units are under supplied and under strength. If they've been like that for 5-6 months then their moral is probably in the toilet.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/18/2019 2:53:17 PM)

The AV is the total value in the hex, including units not involved in the attack. The attack was by one (or two or three) very small units. Enemy counterbattery fire may have destroyed one or two small units, even if they didn't attack.

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/18/2019 3:52:19 PM)

Makes sense but is a waste of supply.

To be safe I re-combined all my Infantry Divisions!

Canoerebel -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/18/2019 4:22:00 PM)

Why is it a waste of supply? He needed the info and deemed it worth the supply expenditure and the lost units.

HansBolter -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/18/2019 6:09:01 PM)

What he learned is that he has over twice your raw AV.

Unless your forts are at least level 6, as soon as he recovers disruption and fatigue he will start making gains.

Do JFBs think to build forts at Chunking once they take it or is doing so too much of a drain on resources?

RangerJoe -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/18/2019 6:53:49 PM)

What happens when the "assault collapses" is that the units are wiped out so one of the numbers would be zero when computing the odds. That is what happened. By wiping out the units, they come back with infantry and support - but probably no other devices.

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/18/2019 9:30:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Unless your forts are at least level 6, as soon as he recovers disruption and fatigue he will start making gains.

Do JFBs think to build forts at Chunking once they take it or is doing so too much of a drain on resources?

Nope. The Chinese are over-stacked in the hex. He has very little in the way of Forts due to a continuous bombing campaign. Every supply producing center he has is mine and/or bombed out. His AFs are at or near 100% damage. CAP flies over each of those crippled AFs. What he has is what he has.

Agreed that launching an attack demonstrates what is present but that supply is not coming back with any rapidity.

RangerJoe -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/18/2019 9:56:12 PM)

I think that Chungking starts with level 6 forts.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/18/2019 10:06:06 PM)

Information can be more important than supply. Using a bit to better gauge the situation and its possibilities is critical. Don't be so quick to think your opponent made a mistake. He probably didn't.

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/19/2019 1:59:12 AM)

quote:

Information can be more important than supply. Using a bit to better gauge the situation and its possibilities is critical. Don't be so quick to think your opponent made a mistake. He probably didn't.

OK. I'll trust your judgement here Dan. He bombarded this turn and got a big fat ZERO for the effort. We'll watch and see what is on his mind.

Thanks TO YOU---China scares the tar out of me...
[sm=00000007.gif]

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/19/2019 2:07:57 AM)

July 2, 1943
Cape Gloucester

My trusty opponent took umbrage a couple of game turn weeks ago when I compared this assault into New Guinea, New Ireland, and Bougainville as a possible repeat of the Sumatra Campaign that Dan and I had. He strongly protested it but I am not so sure.

Captured Bases from that Allied Operation: Torokina, Lae, Cape Gloucester, Hansa Bay, and Manus.

Last week Lae was recaptured inflicting 9,000 Cas upon the enemy.

TODAY we see Cape Gloucester fall to a 30-1 Shock Attack by Japan! Elements of four units surrender to the victorious Japanese Infantry Brigade. Japan takes 71 Cas while the Allies lose 2040 Cas, 16 Guns, and 166 Vehicles.

BANZAI!

OK. It isn't a lot but those are real losses.

The base had about 80-90 Fighters on LRCAP to keep the enemy 4EB from trying to help. It was then attacked by dozens of Betty, Nell, IJA 2EB, TB, DB, and 4EB. At the end of the day--sitting in broad daylight--BB's Yamato and Musashi casually stroll back-and-forth lobbing shells into the Allied perimeter inflicting over 200 Cas, destroying 7 Guns, and disabling 30 Vehicles. Solid work.

[image]local://upfiles/18041/5C8079EDCA8942D0AA86A88BDFDA6D18.jpg[/image]

RangerJoe -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/19/2019 2:12:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

quote:

OK. I'll trust your judgement here Dan. He bombarded this turn and got a big fat ZERO for the effort. We'll watch and see what is on his mind.

Thanks TO YOU---China scares the tar out of me...
[sm=00000007.gif]

[sm=00000289.gif][sm=00000280.gif][sm=00000289.gif]

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/19/2019 2:16:00 AM)

You ask about the other bases listed above?

Tomorrow will see two full strength Japanese IDs enter the Hansa Bay hex. I do believe that all I face is an Aussie Brigade with support units. He hasn't expanded the Port or AF so I have to believe that his work has been on Forts. Will bet they are at 2 or 3 at this point. Should be pretty easy to reduce with the help of a few bombardments.

Manus is facing a full-on counter invasion with 3 Japanese ID. One ID is at Kavieng with Prep at 42%. The second ID is arriving at Kavieng tomorrow. The last ID is coming up from Lunga. The three, combined, will be just under the 35,000 stacking limit of the target.

If the enemy does not interfere, Hansa will fall first and we'll land at Kavieng by mid-month. Figure early-August to kill those units if we do not get trouble from the Allies. HUGE IF!

To make any form of interference much more difficult, I am lifting two CD units and bringing another 500 mines to block off the transit point between New Guinea and New Ireland. Those should be in place in about 7-10 days.

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/19/2019 5:07:35 AM)

July 3, 1943
Kavieng

The enemy has been well known for sending small TFs out looking to get in among a Japanese convoy. IT has worked on several occasions. NOT TODAY! Five American DDs enter the waters of Kavieng only to find a number of heavy Japanese warships embedded within a convoy.

The fight is a DAY battle where the Japanese open fire at 27,000 Yds. The BB and CB hit early and often. Four of the five are sunk during the engagement while the crippled USS Case staggers away only to be sunk by 3 500Kg Bombs from five Judy's in the morning.

SCRATCH FIVE US DDs. I know that isn't much compared to the monthly build but I shall take it and smile this turn!

[image]local://upfiles/18041/E59174327C464839B305BE2FD541ECEF.jpg[/image]

HansBolter -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/19/2019 11:47:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Nope. The Chinese are over-stacked in the hex. He has very little in the way of Forts due to a continuous bombing campaign. Every supply producing center he has is mine and/or bombed out. His AFs are at or near 100% damage. CAP flies over each of those crippled AFs. What he has is what he has.

Agreed that launching an attack demonstrates what is present but that supply is not coming back with any rapidity.

Apologies. I was confused and thought he was attempting to retake the hex from you and was wondering what level your forts are at. Didn't realize he still holds the base.

If you are playing with stacking limits everywhere as I do, then yes, his over stacking will prevent timely recovery of fatigue and disruption and the lack of any incoming supply may be sufficient to reduce his attack value.

If you are not playing with stacking limits everywhere, then only the lack of supply will have an impact.

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/19/2019 12:38:01 PM)

No problem. My troops have surrounded the city (except the SW corner) and have dug in to Lvl 4 almost 5. He bombarded for the 3rd day in a row. It doesn't make much sense to do that considering the situation.

The entire Chinese Front is fluid for the first time in over 12 months. We'll see how that plays out.

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/19/2019 12:50:28 PM)

July 3, 1943
Bay of Bengal

Stated a few days ago that Sean's next major move will undoubtedly be against Burma--Malaya--Sumatra.

This is a map of the Bay of Bengal. There are Japanese Infantry Divisions (BLACK) along the coast at Akyab, Ramree, Rangoon and Moulmein. An reinforced ID sits at Port Blair. Brigades (GREY) are in the interior of Burma. There are Air HQ currently at Rangoon and Port Blair.

Supply is a little sketchy but not too bad. Have two major TF carrying a total of 70,000 supplies moving into the area after stopping at Singapore.

[image]local://upfiles/18041/C1C075CC0197439AB8ECDC2C996D6C0F.jpg[/image]

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/19/2019 1:00:18 PM)

July 3, 1943
Malaya--North/Central Sumatra

Continuing South...

There are two Infantry Divisions at both Singapore and Sabang. Brigades at Victoria Point, Georgetown, and all the bases going down the west coast of Sumatra. Air HQ at Victoria Point, Sabang, and Singapore.

Major units are moving to garrison Trinkat and Great Nicobar as well as buttress the bases along the interior side of Sumatra (Langssa south) and edges of Malaya. Any base along the west side of Sumatra that could go Lvl-9 is getting troops.

A total of 5 Brigades/Regiments, engineers, a few Base Forces as well as three more Air HQ are all at sea moving into this area. Nearly every base that currently has troops is at Lvl-4, 5 or 6.

[image]local://upfiles/18041/77F7626EAB474803A6197052A89252D8.jpg[/image]

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/19/2019 1:07:52 PM)

July 3, 1943
Sumatra--Java

OK. Last slide.

Once again, 2 IDs at Singapore and 1 at Soerabaja. Brigades/Regiments at all bases circled in GREY. Air HQ at Singapore and Soerabaja.

This is where a good chunk of reinforcements are going. Air HQ moving to Medan, Georgetown, and Palembang. Engineers and a Brigade moving to add to the totals already along the west coast of Sumatra.

[image]local://upfiles/18041/86E5923F378648DD982A5C33FF39F2B0.jpg[/image]

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/19/2019 1:20:47 PM)

So what are going to fight with?

Barring a major transfer of Carrier power from the South Pacific, all the Allies will have is a few CVE. Japan will field CarDiv1 and 2: Akagi, Kaga, Soryu, and Hiryu. There will also be five CVE available. I was sending CarDiv1 to Truk but decided the opportunity for a stronger victory sat to the west. Four Fleet Carriers plus the CVE should be able to absolutely maul anything that tries the seaborne invasion route.

Am re-arranging my Air Search assets so that there are no surprises. Am also moving more airpower into the region. Goal is to have a mobile LBA component of 150 Fighters, 80 or so Betty/Nell, 75+ DB, and 75+ TB. With Lae and Cape Gloucester captured and Hansa Bay about to invested, I am able to begin this two turns ago.

OPTIONS
How will the enemy come? The BEST way from his point-of-view would be along the Burma Coast where he can move under LBA. The more daring would be a seaborne move to Port Blair or Sumatra. That would be pretty gutsy. It would appeal to Sean. We'll see if caution or daring wins out.

The enemy will have available a BUNCH of troops. When Trincomalee fell there were 4 ID and 4 Brigades/Regiments involved. Figure that he starts with that and adds a couple more ID. Pretty serious ground force.

He'll have some Naval Air but not much and whole BUNCH of slow-moving BBs.

Time
To get everything in place on the ground, Japan needs 2 weeks or so. The Naval and Air Sides will be set within 5-7 days.

Japan wants to crush him while at sea. If he comes along the Burma Coast that won't be very possible but a seaborne assault would be GREAT! We want a victory in a BIG way!

RangerJoe -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (9/19/2019 1:53:03 PM)

Don't forget that Pegu is also a port. Granted that there are airfields in the vicinity, but guard it well.

Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI