RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (11/4/2019 12:01:31 PM)

There are a lot of aces created today including one pilot who shot down five Avengers over Madang and now has 19 kills for the war:

[image]local://upfiles/18041/564AEED12A9A4FB7ADCB441C16BC4B6A.jpg[/image]

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (11/5/2019 11:24:37 PM)

Just got this and am thinking on it:

Hey John,

Here's the next turn. I'm beginning to feel like I'm simply non dedicating the time I used to towards the game due to real-life busyness. All those downed torpedoes was because I clicked "set for all TBs in TF" as opposed to "in hex." Argh... As you said, the details matter.

Given the time problems for me and I know you'd wish you get more regular turns. I'm open to letting someone pickup, because I'm not giving you the commitment needed for a fun, hardcore match. That said, I am happy to continue as I do enjoy it when I can get to it and will try to, of course, sink your carriers!

Let me know. If someone expresses interest in picking up, I am more than happy to give them the PW. I'm also more than happy to keep playing. I stress this. Though I might need a break at some point, maybe a week or two (as I know this is how I work), where I come back invigorated and, most likely, wanting to do multiple turns a day.

Sean

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (11/6/2019 5:00:28 AM)

Been thinking about this and want to see the match continue so I can play further into the Mod. This game has allowed me to catch issues and problems with both sides and fix things as I go. This is a GOOD thing. If Sean wants to slow down, I am cool with that.

My thinking is to use some down time to do another polish taking into account some things that Sean has told me and then, perhaps, look for a new opponent in a standard BTS Mod to see if things have been adequately fixed. If this is the plan, is there anyone interested in playing the Allies?

ny59giants -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (11/6/2019 11:01:06 AM)

Make sure there is one set of files for me to begin work on redoing China using Big B's mod as basis by Thanksgiving as I'll be on vacation for 11 days and plan to do it then. I'm at 1 June 45 currently. Then you can use this version out for a test drive. Of course we will need a few conversations between now and then to make sure everything is covered. With your free time you will be able to use this new version for the other mods, so I'll promise Paula to keep you out of trouble until 2020 before cabin remodeling takes place. [:)]

Chickenboy -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (11/6/2019 4:18:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Been thinking about this and want to see the match continue so I can play further into the Mod. This game has allowed me to catch issues and problems with both sides and fix things as I go. This is a GOOD thing. If Sean wants to slow down, I am cool with that.

Glad to hear that you will be continuing this match, John. All too often the 'real life is too busy at the moment' requests to 'slow down' seem to turn into permanent loss of interest in the game, it seems. I've only seen a handful of AARs that pick up again months / years later. What will you look for / what steps will you take to forestall this seemingly typical outcome?

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (11/6/2019 11:54:16 PM)

The single biggest thing that has changed is that Sean in employed. Life AND a job can cause a great deal of chaos. I am all over that! He wants to take a week off to get some things done and that is fine with me. Have the new turn and will run it tonight. Will Post what happens and then send it back. When he is ready, he can send it back. I'll settle for a slower game and see how it progresses.

While that is happening, I am going to clean-up BTS and create a MASTER BTS File where all the warships options are included (the Hybrids, 16" BB instead of Yamato-Class, B-65, Niitaka-Class CA, and the Fuji-Class CC are some examples. Want to get them ALL into one file. When I have that accomplished, I shall send it to Michael where he will import all of Big B's China work. Michael has 11 days off starting near Turkey Day and thinks he can get it all finished without issue. Once the Master File comes back to me then all I have to do to create BTSL, BTS, and BTSH is to click which classes are options for that Mod. Sounds simply enough to me and brings total consistency to the Between the Storms variants. How does that sound.

Figure this will take about a month.

It is important for that time because MY NEW OPPONENT needs that much time for one of his two matches to conclude! [:D]

That is correct BABY. We gonna start a new game...

HansBolter -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (11/7/2019 11:37:39 AM)

Work is the single biggest reason I don't play PBEM games.

I get home from work most days so brain fried I can't even manage a turn in my solitaire games.

I'm 62.5 years old and could retire now, but the paltry amount Uncle Sam will give me if I retire early simply won't allow me to survive. I have to hold on till 66.5 to be able to retire with full benefits. Perhaps then I'll take up the challenge.
I'm sure this game will still be going strong by then.

Can't blame a man for having second thoughts on the commitment when earning an income has to come first.

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (11/7/2019 1:10:12 PM)

Cannot argue with that Sir. It is especially correct when it is his first real job out of college. Wish him good things in that area!

After I get work done today, I shall run the turn and get the results Posted here. When done with that, I am shifting over to cleaning up the Mods and working on them until he fires a turn back.

Cheesesteak -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (11/7/2019 4:03:39 PM)

quote:

Cannot argue with that Sir. It is especially correct when it is his first real job out of college. Wish him good things in that area!

After I get work done today, I shall run the turn and get the results Posted here. When done with that, I am shifting over to cleaning up the Mods and working on them until he fires a turn back.

+1 to both comments. And here I was thinking Fins and I were the youngest forumites around.

I will say having a teammate sharing responsibilities makes game progression infinitely easier. That, and not playing the Japanese. I know there is a mod table of contents, but has anyone created/tried a version of the game where the Japanese player could either mostly automate or ignore industry management? I spend enough time in spreadsheets as is.

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (11/14/2019 1:28:14 PM)

Got a turn from my opponent so it appears we'll be going again. He wants to slow it down. We'll see what that means over the next week or so.

Bif1961 -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (11/14/2019 3:14:56 PM)

If he next turn comes back with a comment like "it is not you it is me," then your relationship might be in serious trouble.

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (11/14/2019 4:30:57 PM)

Concur. I think Sean is simply busy at the moment.

adarbrauner -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (11/14/2019 5:04:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

If he next turn comes back with a comment like "it is not you it is me," then your relationship might be in serious trouble.

##########a wise statement...!!!

[sm=00000116.gif][sm=00000116.gif]

Chickenboy -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (11/25/2019 8:35:07 PM)

quote:

Got a turn from my opponent so it appears we'll be going again. He wants to slow it down. We'll see what that means over the next week or so.

Terrific! What's the update for us re: this 'new' (two weeks old) turn resolution?

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (11/26/2019 12:01:11 AM)

Turns are coming. It is slow.

I've been focused on creating my Master File for Michael to do the Big B China changes. Soon as I get them back I shall put out new versions of all BTS Mods as well as a new Treaty.

Am also gearing up for my new match!

durnedwolf -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (11/26/2019 1:37:44 AM)

quote:

I blew coffee out of my nose on that one - great line. :-)

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (12/1/2019 10:15:38 PM)

Hello All.

My match with Sean is rolling on and we're in late-August 43. I have decided to stop my AAR due to a new match I will be starting later this month. There is no way that I can have two campaigns and TWO AARs running at the same time. Do not have time in life for all that.

Feel like it is better to stop this AAR right now before something happens that cheats you guys when reading. TRUST ME though you WANT the AAR in the next match! There will be tons of excitement and a huge following for each of our AARs!

Anybody wanna take a guess??? Naaaaa...that isn't fair to ask.

It is gonna be EPIC!

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (12/1/2019 10:18:37 PM)

I copied this note and sent it over to Sean so he is aware.

He has been so busy, I feel it might help him out as well.

adarbrauner -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (12/2/2019 12:27:51 PM)

Your ol' pal Ad. Roper?

obvert -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (12/2/2019 1:05:59 PM)

quote:

Hello All.

My match with Sean is rolling on and we're in late-August 43. I have decided to stop my AAR due to a new match I will be starting later this month. There is no way that I can have two campaigns and TWO AARs running at the same time. Do not have time in life for all that.

Feel like it is better to stop this AAR right now before something happens that cheats you guys when reading. TRUST ME though you WANT the AAR in the next match! There will be tons of excitement and a huge following for each of our AARs!

It is gonna be EPIC!

Huh. So the game gets going again, and I hear there is some serious action, and you're going to stop the AAR for a game that hasn't yet begun? [:D]

Chickenboy -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (12/2/2019 2:50:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

Hello All.

It is gonna be EPIC!

Huh. So the game gets going again, and I hear there is some serious action, and you're going to stop the AAR for a game that hasn't yet begun? [:D]

My thoughts exactly. [;)]

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (12/2/2019 10:47:52 PM)

This is about time management in this man's life.

I am starting some major work on the Mods (see my new Mod thread), have the game with Sean and I, and plans for the new match...or perhaps RE-MATCH would be a better way of putting it. Simply is not enough time in my life to devote another hour or so every day or two for this AAR. I KNOW it DOES suck! TRUST ME. The timing was perfect since things have really blow up in our game. It is better to walk away now then wait.

Bif1961 -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (12/3/2019 5:38:12 PM)

They say in Hollywood when you go away leave them wanting more.

Chickenboy -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (12/3/2019 8:54:14 PM)

quote:

They say in Hollywood when you go away leave them wanting more.

Meh. Anybody really jazzed about the new Star Wars film coming out in a couple weeks? [>:]

JohnDillworth -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (12/3/2019 11:02:47 PM)

quote:

Meh. Anybody really jazzed about the new Star Wars film coming out in a couple weeks?

Oh god no........I'm out. No more. They are trying to wring every last dime out of this franchise. Not another nickle from me. Now 1917 .......there is a movie for me

Chickenboy -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (12/4/2019 1:04:13 AM)

quote:

It is better to walk away now then wait.

John, I was rereading Shattered Sword and thought of your titled AAR, which is coming to an end. My favorite section in the book, which I believe you can take to heart is the epilogue entitled "Why Did Japan Lose?":

p. 405: "...the only way for the Japanese to avoid being outnumbered and ambushed by a suddenly appearing enemy carrier task force that "wasn't supposed to be there" was to bring the entirety of their own carrier force to every major operation. There really was no middle ground in terms of force allocation."

I couldn't find my favorite line from the book, which succinctly summarizes the strategic situation, but I recall it from rote:

"For the Japanese, there were exactly two strategic goals in the Pacific. Those that required the use of all of the Kido Butai. And those that required none."

I have to etch this into my brain every game I play too. Separate your carriers, disperse carrier assets, cast aside your proven formula for winning battles (bring more to the fight than your opponent) and you will be defeated in detail.

Good luck on your next match.

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (12/4/2019 5:38:27 AM)

Many thanks Chickenman.

Really would like to keep this going but, as said earlier, it is time management.

I shall start a new AAR in a few weeks.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (12/4/2019 1:26:24 PM)

Redacted. [:)]

adarbrauner -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (12/4/2019 4:09:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

quote:

Meh. Anybody really jazzed about the new Star Wars film coming out in a couple weeks?

Oh god no........I'm out. No more. They are trying to wring every last dime out of this franchise. Not another nickle from me. Now 1917 .......there is a movie for me

I much enjoy many of the Star Wars animations, comics and even story games, just not he last movie trilogy (worst than horrible)

John 3rd -> RE: The Shattered Sword: John 3rd vs. Anachro--BTS (12/11/2019 12:43:26 AM)

Since most people are not following the Modding Thread, I have decided to Post this note Sean right here:

Want to explain the last week of game-time turns.

When you wanted to take that break earlier, I was pretty sure our match was finished. Totally understandable with new job and life taking over. I have had to quit matches before when life took over! At any rate, I was convinced that you weren’t coming back.

That change of mind really opened a few doors that I hadn’t realized were shut. Had some new Mod ideas that really excited me and got that rolling. Thinking I had no game, I called Dan down in Georgia and opened that thought of another re-match with him. When he accepted, I was EXCITED. Dan and I have played each other for nearly—perhaps over—20 years dating back to Uncommon Valor. We’ve had two WitP matches epically reach 1945 and they are the stuff of fond memory. We will start a new match once one of his current pair of games is done. CANNOT wait! As an added benefit, playing will allow Michael and I to see what bringing in Brian’s work (Big B) does. I am hoping for a much more realistic China, tougher 4EB defense, added bases, and check out our latest Mod changes. Should be great!

Realizing I now had to get the Mod work DONE and that I would be starting a new match that would be massively followed on the Forum led me to drop the AAR. Hadn’t really done anything to it for a couple of game turns weeks so it was no big deal. Logical move to save time for getting other stuff finished.

Surprisingly into the middle of this, you wanted to get going again. I thought a few turns, you would be seriously busy, and decide to drop the match. Chickenboy commented in my AAR about RL and the chances of seeing the match continue.

Thinking the game was over or soon would be led me to not care as much with what I was doing. My CARDIV1 and CARDIV2 were at Horn sitting and waiting for a chance to pounce on one of your TFs when I decided to jump it into the Coral Sea just for the heck of it and see if you would come out and try to catch me. As you know many times I have come to Horn, sat for a while, and then retired. I had the option of joining up with my CVs at Truk and could have gone back around New Guinea turned east and reached Truk without any issues. If we were still before your mandated break from action that is exactly what I would have done instead I took the leap into the CS just for the hell of it. The rest is history. Looked back on the turn (I have nearly two weeks of turns saved) today and just shake my head.

Page: <<   < prev  20 21 22 [23] 24   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI