RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (10/30/2018 11:00:45 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edward75

I absolutely agree that player should not allow until Auto-victory! You need to resist, play more actively! But it is not always possible for someone. I just don't want to stop game because of this, but I need to play further. Allies have good replenishment in ships, aircraft and troops. Have every chance of winning in Tokyo Bay!

Under the game design it is impossible for the Allied player to win the game EXCEPT by auto-victory. It's built in.

rustysi -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (10/30/2018 11:39:41 PM)

quote:

(we are on opposite coasts)

Interesting, I didn't know Arizona had a coast.[:D]

asurob -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (10/30/2018 11:50:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

(we are on opposite coasts)

Interesting, I didn't know Arizona had a coast.[:D]

We have the world's largest beach.

Just not much water :P

rustysi -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (10/30/2018 11:55:09 PM)

Yeah, I do remember a lot of sand where I was out there back in the day.

GetAssista -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (10/31/2018 12:41:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: asurob

Technically, the world's largest beach is Sahara

asurob -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (10/31/2018 1:44:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

Technically, the world's largest beach is Sahara

bah a forum full of rivet counters [:D]

Lokasenna -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (10/31/2018 3:27:42 AM)

quote:

I heard about such fast players, but I don't believe.

If I didn't need to keep clearing out my inbox of older turns, I could show proof of sending turns within 30 minutes of receiving them. But the fact that I have to keep clearing out my inbox for space reasons also shows how many I'm sending...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edward75 Of course you can press end of turn button for 1 second. BUT! I doubt that everything can be completely monitored and checked.

No.

quote:

Obviously, player will make a lot of mistakes or even disregard them altogether.

Not if you know what you're doing. Comes from experience, and planning (even if it's just in your head).

Encircled -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (10/31/2018 10:44:57 AM)

I can crash off a quick turn (less than an hour) but I do find I have to spend the next turn double checking a lot more and I tend to find I've missed stuff (odd air attack that I didn't want to go ahead because of fatigue, that kind of thing).

And about once every seven/eight turns I need a proper sit down three/four hour job to make sure I'm comfortable with where I'm at.

Certainly in the early turns as both allied and japanese, I couldn't crash off a turn quicker than 3 hours.

Lokasenna -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (10/31/2018 3:08:24 PM)

3 hours, even on early turns, is horrifying to me. Although I suppose I'm faster/more efficient than most.

You don't have to do everything every day. As the Allies, for example, you don't need to re-prep units in CONUS that you won't even be able to buy out for a while on day 2. You don't need to send every spare xAK to the place you eventually want it on the same day. You can do a few here, a few there over the course of a few days.

Encircled -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (10/31/2018 3:11:30 PM)

No, I agree that you don't have to do everything on turn 1, but (and I get that each has their own style and that is great!) I do like to get quite a bit done based on my own sort of turn 1 mental checklist.

dave sindel -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (10/31/2018 6:51:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

3 hours, even on early turns, is horrifying to me. Although I suppose I'm faster/more efficient than most.

I try and limit myself to two hours a turn or less. I've found that taking longer than that tends to cause me to lose focus and make mistakes.

asurob -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (10/31/2018 11:28:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

No, I agree that you don't have to do everything on turn 1, but (and I get that each has their own style and that is great!) I do like to get quite a bit done based on my own sort of turn 1 mental checklist.

this

I have played games where my opp needed a full day to run each turn. I get that if you are the japanese and it's early in the game...but once you get out of that first few weeks...it's overkill.

Edward75 -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (11/1/2018 11:55:02 AM)

quote:

I could show proof of sending turns within 30 minutes of receiving them.

To watch combat replay, I spend 1-2 hours! What 30 minutes are you talking to me?

Lokasenna -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (11/1/2018 3:23:05 PM)

quote:

quote:

To watch combat replay, I spend 1-2 hours! What 30 minutes are you talking to me?

Well, that's one reason.

My message delay is set to 0.5 seconds. I often hit escape to make it even shorter. Most replays are then less than 10 minutes to watch, if not less than 5.

Rare is the replay that takes more than 10 minutes. Maybe a few dozen of those through the entire course of the war 1941-1945.

btd64 -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (11/1/2018 3:36:07 PM)

I've completed as many as 6 turns in a day. Many times actually....GP

dave sindel -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (11/1/2018 4:39:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

that's impressive. My best weekday "daily" total is 4 I think. Best for a weekend is 9 - did that twice.

HansBolter -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (11/1/2018 6:35:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dave sindel

quote:

that's impressive. My best weekday "daily" total is 4 I think. Best for a weekend is 9 - did that twice.

i can do 9-10 turns on a marathon Saturday soup to nuts, mening not just issuing orders and emailing off turns, but sitting through 9-10 turn executions playing solitaire.

I se my message delay to 1.5 on many types because I want ot be able to read them.

I do however, escape out of most combat animations. I see no entertainment value in bombs drop on troops, airfields and ports.

I will watch surface combats, many sub encounters, air attacks on naval units and will only sit through ground combat animations where it is important to see how beat down, or strong the AV of certain units is through teh course of the fight.

All other combat animations get escaped out of to teh combat report.

Most turns without huge naval battles execute in 45 minutes to an hour.

asurob -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (11/1/2018 7:18:22 PM)

quote:

quote:

Sounds like you have a slow computer.

While certainly not graphics intense...WITP does need a bit of power to process the turns.

asurob -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (11/1/2018 7:21:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: dave sindel

quote:

i can do 9-10 turns on a marathon Saturday soup to nuts, mening not just issuing orders and emailing off turns, but sitting through 9-10 turn executions playing solitaire.

I se my message delay to 1.5 on many types because I want ot be able to read them.

I do however, escape out of most combat animations. I see no entertainment value in bombs drop on troops, airfields and ports.

I will watch surface combats, many sub encounters, air attacks on naval units and will only sit through ground combat animations where it is important to see how beat down, or strong the AV of certain units is through teh course of the fight.

All other combat animations get escaped out of to teh combat report.

Most turns without huge naval battles execute in 45 minutes to an hour.

I do a lot of this as well. I generally only watch Search planes, air to navy or ship battles, and then only the when the big boys are slugging it out. Otherwise...escape.

offenseman -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (11/2/2018 12:13:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

Well, that's one reason.

My message delay is set to 0.5 seconds. I often hit escape to make it even shorter. Most replays are then less than 10 minutes to watch, if not less than 5.

Rare is the replay that takes more than 10 minutes. Maybe a few dozen of those through the entire course of the war 1941-1945.

+1 on that. I love to watch SCTF engagements and watch those as well as air attacks on ships but other than that, escape through them. Sometimes I'll watch a major A2A engagement if it involves an aircraft newly arrived in the game. 15-20 minutes tops for a 2 day turn unless said engagement occurs that I like to watch closely.

Edward75 -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (11/2/2018 8:08:20 AM)

Yes, I have a really slow laptop. I also miss unimportant combat replays, but of course I watch important completely. This is a game, and I want to enjoy, worry, rejoice and scream! I don't want to play as a calculator, pressing one and same button - end of turn, again and again.
I like to eat ice cream slowly, not swallow it! [;)]

Yaab -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (11/2/2018 12:56:19 PM)

Wargaming is hell. Pace yourselves, gentlemen!

btd64 -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (11/2/2018 1:11:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

[sm=00000289.gif][sm=00000280.gif][sm=Cool-049.gif]....GP

Edward75 -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (11/2/2018 1:56:29 PM)

quote:

What is you mean? Sorry, my english not perfect.

Chickenboy -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (11/2/2018 2:02:22 PM)

I wouldn't presume to speak for a fellow forumite. But my interpretation of his comments would be something near and dear to my own heart. The Pacific War ran for just under 4 years of real time. It's a monumental commitment to gameplay to try to reproduce the war in real time, let alone only 'turning' one day every five days or so. In that example, the game will take-give or take-20 years to finish.

When one considers that the average 'life in prison' criminal sentence is usually commuted or served out in 6-8 years, the average marriage doesn't see 8 years, the average job lasts about 4 years and the average career lasts 20 years, you're asking for a lot-maybe even too much-to such a slow pace.

One must pace themselves to finish this game. Neither the hare nor the tortoise be.

btd64 -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (11/2/2018 2:20:49 PM)

Ah such poetry....GP

Edward75 -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (11/2/2018 2:29:54 PM)

You are right in everything, I know. Just for me, first two months of game require a lot of attention. A lot of traffic units, supply, a lot of events. When fronts stabilize, I hope that my pace of game will increase!
Therefore, I always warn my opponents about it! And I am looking for same slow opponents and never demand speed of game from them. It is important!

Zeta16 -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (11/2/2018 3:23:46 PM)

quote:

When I have a good fast place opponent, I can average 5 to 7 turns a day. Once you get past that first turn...honestly..it's all about book keeping and I have a system after more then a decade of wrestling with this monster.

I loved playing with you, I like to do at least 5 turns a day when I was playing. Now it is so hard to find someone who can do 3 or more a day. I did not use any trackers and just keep track in my head, but when you do more turns a day it is easier to keep track.

Off course have not had a game in a few years, my last game stop resending turns in 44, would like to play again and but the mods are overly complex to install and frustrate me to now end and it is hard to find someone that wants to play at a decent pace any more.

rustysi -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (11/2/2018 5:48:28 PM)

All I can say is that its the journey, not the destination. To me the game is to be enjoyed, savored, and that means to each their own. Fast/slow, micromanaged or less, its up to the player to find their comfort zone. Hope it won't take me 20 years to complete a PBEM game, but I know I won't be able to do it in four. Look at Sollis' game, what about seven years now and going strong. I've enjoyed every minute of it and I'm not even playing.[:D]

Yaab -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (11/2/2018 8:47:11 PM)

The Allied first turn is the single greatest malevolence against the human race in the 21st century.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI