RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

rustysi -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (7/16/2019 5:49:24 PM)

TBH, I see no reason to not work on my 'next turn' while awaiting my opponents' 'response'. By that I mean checking all my 'out of the way'/backwater areas (and there's tons to do here) and making notes as to what I wish to do in the 'next turn'. For me this would speed up my 'turnover' of the turn significantly. Of course provided I had the time to invest.

Playing against the AI its not possible for me to do much of this, as the turn 'turnover' is instantaneous. I usually just rely on memory and miss a few things, but none are too serious and may wait another day. If I do miss something important then, playing the AI, I have the option to replay the turn. This is something I'd not have in a PBEM.

So, I'm not trying to dismiss your ideas or desires, I'm just saying that I don't think I personally would enjoy the game as much as now. As I say, the game is an escape that I use to relax.

tarkalak -> RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM) (7/17/2019 1:33:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

You're talking about on-line games. No? This isn't an on-line game, and irregardless its not going to be changed at this point.

No, it doesn't need to be an online game for that.

He exsplains the following system:
0. One player is the "server" player. In WITPAE this is the Japanese player. His turn is "ground truth", while the allied turn can look different (the replay bug).
1. All players make their orders and send the savefiles to the "server" player.
2. The "server" player runs the turn and returns them the save with the resolution. He doesn't need to put his orders before the others.
3. All players can now run the turn, see what happened and go back to 1. until GAME OVER.

Legend:
orders - the orders that players put.
turn - the turn resolution

This requires more files to run - you have n savefiles (where n is number of players) instead of just 1.

This is implemented in "Stars!", but they have separate files for the replay, orders and state of the game world, which require more file juggling.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI