RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

Lokasenna -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/18/2018 2:39:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I press the escape key 50 times each turn. I might be the issue, if that's an issue. But I can't stop doing it, because most animations I care nothing about but some I do, occasionally.

I'll try to work with Dave to reconcile the issue as soon as possible, but that might be a few days.

This may be a stupid question, but I have to ask.

You're both running the same version of the .exe, right? I can't imagine you aren't, as you'd have noticed the "game saved under different version" prompt, but...

BillBrown -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/18/2018 3:40:20 AM)

The next question is are you sure you both are using the same scenario files?

RangerJoe -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/18/2018 10:06:38 AM)

If Sara is close to Pearl Harbor, you might want to help the Lady Lex by loading the other two carriers with fighters, maybe even putting the torpedo bombers ashore, have NO CAP or any air patrolling of any kind so there will be no radio messages - at least while they are getting search reports from PBYs, then swing around to the north and try a long range hit on the remaining oilers. If the ones that were burning went down, he only has a few left and has probably used a good portion of their fuel. Hit the remaining oilers to get them burning, then run away. He will not have the fuel to chase and he will probably have to end The Wild Goose Chase. If you don't want to risk your carriers, PBYs on night naval attack might also do the trick. Think of B-17s on a night strafing attack at max range! [X(]

Once you get the Lex into a shipyard, you might want to resize some land based navy and marine air units for training purposes.

Joe

PS Have fun with this, it is probably driving him nuts thinking that the Lady Lex is low hanging fruit while you are using it as bait.

Lokasenna -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/18/2018 3:19:49 PM)

Again, assuming he refueled just a few days ago... he probably has the fuel to stick around for a little while. In this scenario, Truk has a few hundred thousand fuel that's not there in scenario 1, as well as a few spare AOs nearby (in the Marshalls I think). He could have easily retrieved the AOs and be heading back east with more fuel.

The concern for him should be more about having KB available for further operations and not whether he's going to run low on fuel.

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/18/2018 3:34:22 PM)

Dave commented on the disruption to his operational plans four or five turns back, so it's on his mind. But it's clear that he's willing to trade whatever side effects exist if he can just finish off Lex. The guy is relentless. I think many other players I've played or I know of would do the same. My guess is that Obvert and Miller would. I'm not sure about John III. I think he'd detach a lot of combat ships and bring in subs but send KB on other missions. Those are just hunches, of course. But you Japanese players ought to take a chill pill. This bloodlust is wearing me out. "What can you do against such reckless hate?"

I have the new turn in. I'll post in awhile. But I won't just yet. I feel fickle this morning and do not wish to cooperate with you nice readers. (Actually, this is our busiest day of the year at the office, so we're pulling our hair out answering the phone and welcoming customers, etc.)

Korvar -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/18/2018 5:17:35 PM)

I don't blame Japanese players for being relentless - they're driven by hindsight of the real war (plus prior games). They know what awaits them in a couple years time and any deck sent to the bottom gives them that much more breathing room later. Any damaged deck (even severely) will eventually come back from the dead to haunt them.

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/18/2018 5:42:42 PM)

Yeah. When you have a big and grievously wounded duck in your sights, it's hard to give up the search and move on to some other target. I think Dave made the right call in his pursuit. I just wish he hadn't. I wish he were laid back and well satisfied and looking forward to using KB to invade some distant and unimportant outpost. Unfortunately, players seem intent on doing their best.

mind_messing -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/18/2018 6:57:03 PM)

quote:

"What can you do against such reckless hate?

Just remember how that plot point turned out in the end! [:)]

AcePylut -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/18/2018 7:19:47 PM)

"What can you do against such reckless hate?"

Kill them all!

Lecivius -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/18/2018 8:27:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AcePylut

"What can you do against such reckless hate?"

Kill them all!

And let God sort them out.

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/18/2018 8:33:41 PM)

I think I haven't patched correctly, which may be contributing to my sync woes.

It's possible I've only patched up to 1126b (which is a sticky on the Tech page). I was not aware that there was an 1126a, but seemed to catch wind of some such while reading about b. It appears a may also be required. That might explain the error message I've been getting when loading each turn (I thought Dave was the guy who hadn't upgraded fully, because I'm computer savvy and always have things figured out just right - Uh, no).

I can't find an 1126a patch anywhere. Where is it?

P.S. Why are computers like this? Why is everything stinking thing like pulling teeth?

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/18/2018 9:01:21 PM)

12/16/41

CenPac: The turn opens with DD Downes reacting to and fighting to AMCs west of Johnston Island. Downes is low on fuel after her clash with KB two days ago, so this skirmish ends without real damage. Four USN DDs are out here searching for Dave's oilers. I can think of about 10 things the AMCs might be doing, but none of them strike me as the most likely. IE, I don't know what they're up to.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/5FCC89460B21478AAE4B572C8DD5B4FB.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/18/2018 9:06:26 PM)

12/16/41

West Coast: The first enemy subs arrive. This encounter is a hex from San Diego. Up near Victoria, an RCN KV TF finds but doesn't hit a sub.

Early in the war, Allied ship and air ASW is awfully bad, so enemy subs are a real threat in this region. It's the kind of things that makes an Allied player loathe to keep carriers on the West Coast.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/8A5F08E5A5814A1FA889CF657F321F2B.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/18/2018 9:09:42 PM)

12/16/41

Pearl: An IJN sub saunters into Pearl and doesn't hit a sub. That aint right. Dave didn't employ mini subs on Pearl Harbor Day, so as far as I know the minefield here hasn't been previously detected.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/333C616FDC854BF598CA0E8E2E629EB2.jpg[/image]

modrow -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/18/2018 9:13:02 PM)

quote:

I can't find an 1126a patch anywhere. Where is it?

IIRC, I had the same problem when I took over the West coast invasion pickup game. I think it is available in the members section as a download for WitP-AE.

Hartwig

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/18/2018 9:14:18 PM)

Thank you, Hartwig.

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/18/2018 9:16:25 PM)

12/16/41

In the Sync Bug Version: Dave sends a mini sub into Pearl and she hits Ent. That's the second sync-bug torp Ent has taken in three days! In real life, she's disbanded at Pearl in fine shape...for now.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/CF8BCC2681844463A9BEDCBCF499F03A.jpg[/image]

modrow -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/18/2018 9:21:58 PM)

quote:

It's possible I've only patched up to 1126b (which is a sticky on the Tech page). I was not aware that there was an 1126a, but seemed to catch wind of some such while reading about b. It appears a may also be required. That might explain the error message I've been getting when loading each turn (I thought Dave was the guy who hadn't upgraded fully, because I'm computer savvy and always have things figured out just right - Uh, no).

Note that I am not sure whether it is a question of "also required". It may also be that you actually would have to have 1126a, but not 1126b, which may eventually mean you will have to patch a new install with 1126a to arrive where you want to be.

Hartwig

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/18/2018 9:59:20 PM)

12/16/41

The Wild Goose Chase: Today, the advantage shifts to Lex, I think. The enemy carrier TFs only move 3 and 4 hexes, respectively, while Lex moves 9. The Japanese don't have detection on any of the Allied ships and there are now a lot of small bases and dot hexes in the area. I think Dave has to conclude there are too many rabbit holes to continue the chase (I apologize for mixing metaphors with wild gooses). But he probably won't stop. He's probably bringing up more fuel. No doubt subs are on the move.

I think Lex will move south another turn or two. If Dave breaks off, great. If he continues to press, I might seek a dot base. The sub threat is beginning to give me the twitches.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/33A77DA9C5A34BC0BAB94D9F8E9FFFCA.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/18/2018 10:07:38 PM)

12/16/41

Wild Goose Chase, Part II: There are lots of hiding places, but also the fear of enemy subs lurking or waiting in ambush.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/FB80A9DECBC24CEE80D63B7B582B9676.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/18/2018 10:54:31 PM)

The fate of Lex overshadows everything else, with good reason. But there are additional ripples that I'm dealing with, such as the loss of a number of good ships during this "adventure." Also, I have put PBYs on all kinds of dot hexes that have no supply or aviation support. They've provided critical info, but it's gonna be a booger retrieving those guys. And most of my "decent" bases are in the red for supply purposes. They start with low levels, and my patrols and other aircraft have sucked them dry.

I can only hope that Dave is accruing a decent opportunity cost as a result of his adventuring.

RangerJoe -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/18/2018 11:17:15 PM)

Some of the AVs have to potential to carry and operate some planes on the move. Move an AV in or you could fly in just a few aviation support squads from an air HQ such as a MAG.

If you can, moving the Lady Lex SE will keep the KB farther away from home. If he separates from his oilers, that is an opportunity for you. Every day using the KB to search for the Lady means that it is one day that the KB is not used elsewhere.

Do you have any Omaha class cruisers that you could risk raiding between Saipan and the Home Islands to attract attention? They could run NE to the Aleutians if needed.

Joe

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 12:02:17 AM)

Great idea on the Omaha class, Ranger. I have one at Pearl that's now gonna head for Midway and thence onward.

Are you some kind of secret prodigy?

As for Lex moving SE, the trouble is that Dave once before used a pattern of short moves, giving a certain appearance, and then moved fast and far, nearly catching me by surprise. I'm leery of another such move, 'cause Lex moving SE would run her right into Half KB South's path.

RangerJoe -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 12:39:11 AM)

I remember reading about Nemo finding holes in naval search coverage and sending in raiders. [8D] I guess that it pays to vary the search arcs every now and then and not get too lazy. [:-]

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 2:58:05 AM)

Well, dang, Ranger, I remember that too. I think that was the game in which Nemo dismantled One-Eyed-Jacks.

Squamry -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 9:53:22 AM)

HI CR. Enjoying this AAR as much as your others even though it's only a few days into the war.

Just wondering if the KB only went 3-4 hexes as Dave needed to refuel his DDs and did this using CV,BB and CA fuel?

ny59giants -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 10:46:12 AM)

Dan - Form a Support TF with 2 AVDs each, load supplies, and go from dot base to dot base. Each AVD has 6 Aviation Support. Since these are converted DDs, they have the speed needed to run away.

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 2:27:35 PM)

Thanks for that suggestion Michael. And to all of you thoughtful gents, thanks for chiming in. Lots of good ideas.

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 2:33:07 PM)

12/17/41

This is my father's 18th birthday. On Pearl Harbor Day, he was in the hospital recovering from an apendectomy. He's a senior at Miami High School. Soon he will be in the US Army, serving in the Office of Strategic Services on a radio interception team in France, following Normandy. The rascal lived a full life, passing away five years ago.

The Wild Goose Chase: He did it again! South Half KB leaped forward 17 hexes, ending up just four hexes from Lex and within close range of ten other Allied ships of all kinds. But KB didn't launch a single air strike. I haven't watched the movie, but weather is the likely culprit.

Half KB South is four hexes NE of Lex. Half KB North trail by about 17 hexes (a guestimate, I'll post an image later) and probably has a full speed run left in her.

Lex is in big, big doo-doo.

It's not hopeless, but odds of survival are at 2% or less, given current deployments.

I'll post in more detail, probably this afternoon.

adarbrauner -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 2:58:35 PM)

"But KB didn't launch a single air strike. I haven't watched the movie, but weather is the likely culprit."

what the weather?

I suspect more expenditure and exaustion of movement points; none left for the aircrafts launching; the manouvre requires and expends MPs (operational points?)

Any DL over your ships?

Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI