RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 5:05:39 PM)

I've seen many times (especially against John III) in which KB has moved at flank speed maximum distance and still launched full strikes.

KB has high detection on Lex and everything in the vicinity. That includes two Kiwi CLs, a bunch of merchantmen, CA Indianapolis, a DM, two DMS and an AM.

There are lots of islands six to fifteen hexes away in several directions. If Dave divides his carriers, I think he can cover all vectors. He may well do so. Only the presence of Allied combat ships might dissuade him.

At the moment, I don't know which way to send Lex. I don't want to lose good ships in a hopeless cause (like the CA and CLs) but will likely try for a KB intercept to bleed ops points.

Losing Lex under any circumstances will be a blow, but at the end of such a long chase might be even more cruel than if she'd succumbed at the outset.

MakeeLearn -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 6:16:35 PM)

Against the AI, in such situations that the Lex is in, I've moved some or all my planes off the carrier to an island that has enough/close enough aviation support. This leaves my carrier more vulnerable, but it saves planes and sets up a situation where the "now land based" planes can keep the enemy busy long enough for my carrier to get out of harms way.

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 6:18:37 PM)

I'd do that, too, if Lex didn't have far too many damage points to permit air ops. [:)]

Lokasenna -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 6:48:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I think I haven't patched correctly, which may be contributing to my sync woes.

It's possible I've only patched up to 1126b (which is a sticky on the Tech page). I was not aware that there was an 1126a, but seemed to catch wind of some such while reading about b. It appears a may also be required. That might explain the error message I've been getting when loading each turn (I thought Dave was the guy who hadn't upgraded fully, because I'm computer savvy and always have things figured out just right - Uh, no).

I can't find an 1126a patch anywhere. Where is it?

P.S. Why are computers like this? Why is everything stinking thing like pulling teeth?

The 1126a should be present in the second post in michael's thread, but it might not be. I remember him having not done that on one of the last updates he did, and it might have been this very last one.

If it's not there, someone who is running it should be able to help you out. For example, your opponent should be able to remove the file extension (.exe) from the end of the file name and send it to you over gmail. You would then add the .exe back to the end of the file name and plop it into your Beta2 folder.

For 1126a to 1126b, I am 99% sure this is the only change that is needed. For some version changes, you would have also needed to replace the .dll file that is present in that folder, but not for this one IIRC.

If you're still having version issues, feel free to drop me a line. I can guide you through the process, but would need to know what version you have and what version your opponent has.

MakeeLearn -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 6:49:40 PM)

last system damage I saw was 24. Any repairs going on?

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 6:54:37 PM)

Makee, it's the total of all damage categories (Sys, Fld, Eng) that determines whether flight ops can take place, so far as I know. If the total exceeds 50, no flight ops.

Fld damage is up to 51, after dropping to a low of 48. High speed runs lead to increased damage, but Sherman is a great captain and the accrued damage has been minimal.

Lecivius -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 7:27:20 PM)

The 1126a patch can be found in the downloads section, under Members downloads

[image]local://upfiles/26061/C5CC5BAB187F4BA1B9E2573B253B4A40.jpg[/image]

MakeeLearn -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 8:10:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Makee, it's the total of all damage categories (Sys, Fld, Eng) that determines whether flight ops can take place, so far as I know. If the total exceeds 50, no flight ops.

Fld damage is up to 51, after dropping to a low of 48. High speed runs lead to increased damage, but Sherman is a great captain and the accrued damage has been minimal.

Thanks I had forgotten the exact calculations, and could not find it in the manual earlier.

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 9:01:44 PM)

Thanks for all the patch info, folks. Now I think even I can find that dadgum thing.

Question - I think I read something that might have said that you have to download -a before -b or the world collapses. I've already downloaded -b. Should I start over?

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 9:46:51 PM)

12/17/41

CenPac: Ranger Joe's idea to send a CL raiding was a good one, but Dave's subs seem to have a stranglehold on Pearl.

I hope Raleigh can make it to a dot hex and disband.

I have ASW TFs working but it's early and they're not very good.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/6DE575A3817A41379F50AAA90111DBF7.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 9:50:53 PM)

12/17/41

SoPac: Early in the turn, enemy carrier aircraft start lighting up my TFs, including Lex. The nightmare has come true!

[image]local://upfiles/8143/DAA108A908F548269D02DDBFAB7326CE.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 9:56:30 PM)

12/17/41

Sync Bug Version Only: This didn't happen in the actual game. It's cruel of me to show this, but it gives an idea of the torment I'm going through at the moment.

I thought I had patched -26a before running the turn, but apparently I haven't got stuff in the right file yet or somesuch. I'll figure it out eventually.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/BECB0A37425548B2947388443207B68F.jpg[/image]

modrow -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 10:06:13 PM)

This is what your start screen should look like if you are set for playing under .26a patch. Pay attention to version ID in the upper right corner.

If you try to install 26a after 26b (download sequence does not matter, just installation sequence), it may just stick to the later patch and you are in fact still playing .26b

Hartwig

(edited for more clarity)

[image]local://upfiles/22130/211015D8CC89441FBF7A4D71F3F07493.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 10:07:18 PM)

While the game is far more interesting, here's some Sync Bug info. Here I'm loading the next turn that Dave sent. There's an error message. I don't see anything about an 1126a. Is he properly patched?

[image]local://upfiles/8143/D302A7BCFE3E438DA0E4C63BE2FB8B39.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 10:10:10 PM)

Here's what I'm patched to (after the Grand Intervention by Ye Forumites). I think I'm good. Or do I need to re-download '26b?

[image]local://upfiles/8143/68BF1491892B411EB415340E4D210857.jpg[/image]

Anachro -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 10:10:38 PM)

That is an old version of the game. Current patch I have is 1.8.11.26b. I believe the "a" would be the same except switching out "b" with "a."

modrow -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 10:11:28 PM)

1.7.11.24 is last official release IIRC. (The later patches are all beta).

Hartwig

RangerJoe -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 10:32:39 PM)

Taking a look at the map, I believe that both Savaii and Pago Pago to the SE of the Lady Lex have airbases. Pago Pago might have a base force with air support. If the Lady Lex were to make a high speed run 1 hex less than the maximum distance she can travel, she could disband. The one hex is insurance in case she gets more damage and reduces speed. The next turn, she could unload her air units. Right now, with a high DL, the spotting report (mouse over) would show all of those planes as disabled, which would be a giveaway as to the ship being the Lady Lex.

Combine that with combat runs with DDs to use up OPs points and she might be able to hide. You might be able to make high speed run and hide every turn for awhile if you get into the right area. Then the KB has to play "Wack-a-Mole" especially if you can put small, unimportant AKls into the dot base ports to get spotted as well.

If each incoming air strike also uses up ops points, put your float planes on night air strike with a search capability but only if they have pilots with 50 experience or higher, otherwise they are afraid of the dark. Who knows, they might get lucky. The same thing with your PBY units. Even breaking the squadrons into three pieces just to get more attacks in as well.

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 10:33:05 PM)

12/17/41

The Wild Goose Chase: It really looks like its over unless I get really lucky. I'm casting about for the most unlikely, novel, fun way to pull an inside straight. But this has all the feel to me of "sorry Charlie."

[image]local://upfiles/8143/29BFDFFCC90B4CFDB930F32044C6E5F7.jpg[/image]

RangerJoe -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 10:37:11 PM)

Oh, another thing as well. Check the weather at each base since, if I remember correctly [&:], the weather change will only get better or worse one step each turn. So severe storms would be the best for hiding since it would still be bad weather the next day as well.

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 10:57:23 PM)

Dang it. How do I not know that? I've only been playing for 16 years, give or take.

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 11:07:36 PM)

I think Dave will move Half KB South NW, to cover the Ellice Islands. I think he'll move Half KB North south, to cover any possibility of retreat to Pago Pago and points east.

Consequently, I plan to send Lex SW at flank speed, perhaps to a dot hex or perhaps just as far as her little feet will carry her.

That's my working plan.

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 11:09:22 PM)

Or I might send her to disband at Wallis Island. She'd be following all the combat vessels that will be trying to intercept KB (and which are then scattering to flee SW and SE at flank speed).

Anachro -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 11:11:55 PM)

RangerJoe, despite being my peer in terms of age on these forums, seems far more knowledgeable and thoughtful about everything. A secret prodigy who only gives sage advice to those he deems worthy. [:D]

Canoerebel -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/19/2018 11:13:19 PM)

[&o] I'm not worthy!

RangerJoe -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/20/2018 1:37:50 AM)

You are worthy. I have learned a lot from you and not just about trees that you have seen on your walks. Sometimes I state what might appear to be obvious or what should be known because I do not know the extent of the other persons knowledge as well as a reminder. What is the first sign of old age? "I don't remember!"

I was also trained to observe and report. I have found that PT boats on a 100% moonlight night can get fairly close to Japanese transports off Luzon when there are severe storms. Sometimes the Japanese ships are so surprised and scared that they actually run into each other. One was sunk with the cause being listed as "collision."

I was also trained in putting on makeup. They covered it under "cover and concealment" AKA staying out of sight, and camouflage.

Lokasenna -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/20/2018 1:38:09 AM)

OK, so you have 1124a.

That error message is not super specific. My guess is your opponent has 1124b. Can you ask him what his game screen says?

FWIW, not having matching game versions will always cause a sync bug. To my knowledge.

Lokasenna -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/20/2018 1:40:25 AM)

I'd try to intercept KB and disband at the dot between Funafuti and Vaitupu. He might suspect you'd disband at an actual port, but not a dot. I don't know. Sucks that he caught up with you this turn. This is exactly why I would've risked an earlier disbandment at the first available island he wasn't likely to search - I would have gambled that he would've thought you just got away undetected somehow instead of hiding right under his nose.

It's worked for me a whole lot, especially in cases like this where your opponent doesn't know if the damage is very severe.

ChuckBerger -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/20/2018 2:21:39 AM)

Interesting psychological game. You are both now in the position of trying to guess and second-guess what your opponent will do next. Eg, "my obvious move is x, but he knows that, and therefore will probably think I won't do x but rather y or z, and will plan accordingly... unless he's thought this through, and reckons I'll do x after all, precisely because it is the obvious move and therefore unexpected at this point in time ... unless..."

There's just no end to that kind of guesswork and psychological games, is there?

I don't know the game mechanics well enough to evaluate the options, but I reckon I'd do something nonsensical at this point, like not move at all. Or head due east at top speed.

Good luck, I feel like this is an old-time radio broadcast where the whole world tunes in, sitting on the edges of their chairs waiting to see what happened next!

Zorch -> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) (12/20/2018 2:45:08 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChuckBerger

Interesting psychological game. You are both now in the position of trying to guess and second-guess what your opponent will do next. Eg, "my obvious move is x, but he knows that, and therefore will probably think I won't do x but rather y or z, and will plan accordingly... unless he's thought this through, and reckons I'll do x after all, precisely because it is the obvious move and therefore unexpected at this point in time ... unless..."

There's just no end to that kind of guesswork and psychological games, is there?

I don't know the game mechanics well enough to evaluate the options, but I reckon I'd do something nonsensical at this point, like not move at all. Or head due east at top speed.

Good luck, I feel like this is an old-time radio broadcast where the whole world tunes in, sitting on the edges of their chairs waiting to see what happened next!

We should be making side bets (10 Quatloos says a Jap carrier takes significant damage).

Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI