Tornados vs Mirages and Foxbats (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Command: DLCs >> Command: Desert Storm

Ekaton -> Tornados vs Mirages and Foxbats (5/21/2019 11:06:32 PM)

I'm currently playing the First Night scenario, and I've noticed an interesting thought when I've sent my UK Tornados to match the Iraqi Mirages and Foxbats. Despite having 3:1 superiority in numbers and firing 2-3 missiles per plane, the vast majority of missiles will miss the target, even despite often having a PH of 70-80%. Iraqi missiles, however, usually only need only one to score a hit, despite several of my jammer planes around.

This is not the first time I've encountered this, so I did some testing by reloading the game. Out of 83 missiles fired in the same scenario over and over again, 6 scored a hit. I forgot to count how many, but a very large percentage (perhaps around half) would go blind before reaching their target. I haven't counted hits against my planes, but I estimate about 70% accuracy.

Oh, and some of the blind missiles (Sky Flash Super TEMP) return the following message: "can no longer see reflected energy from target (engagement geometry issue). What does it mean?

EDIT: If it helps solve the problem, note that my planes were attacking three separate enemy fighters, each both from the front and at least one flank.

MadmanRick -> RE: Tornados vs Mirages and Foxbats (5/21/2019 11:22:04 PM)

The Sky Flash missile is simply a derivative of the AIM-7. It is a semi-active radar homing missile and in order to have any chance to hit its' intended target, the guiding radar must continue to illuminate the target. It is NOT fire and forget, like the AIM-120 AMRAAM. If the guiding radar goes too far off of bore, the attacking missile no longer has a target to guide to and therefore it will miss. This is what I assume your quoted message to mean "can no longer see reflected energy from target (engagement geometry issue).

Ekaton -> RE: Tornados vs Mirages and Foxbats (5/21/2019 11:33:53 PM)

That doesn't explain why only a few missiles can score a hit out of dozens of them. Just now I've fired 6 such missiles against a single Iraqi fighter and they all missed. Iraqi fighter needed two missiles to destroy two of my planes. Guess my other question is - how accurate is that?

MadmanRick -> RE: Tornados vs Mirages and Foxbats (5/21/2019 11:53:49 PM)

You haven't provided enough information to make a determination of expected accuracy. Were all 6 missiles SARH or were there heat seekers as well? What was the distance to target? Were the firing platforms maneuvering? Were the targets? What was the aspect ratio of the shots (were they head-on, tail shots, etc.)? Are the firing platforms illuminating the target (i.e. is the radar on)? There is a great deal to consider, sheer number of missiles is a very small part of the equation.

Ekaton -> RE: Tornados vs Mirages and Foxbats (5/22/2019 12:04:07 AM)

They were all SARH, fired at about 20-30 nm. Firing platforms were both flying straight at the target. Targets tried to evade them. Tail shots. Radar was on.

Dimitris -> RE: Tornados vs Mirages and Foxbats (5/22/2019 4:37:06 AM)

Ekaton < Read here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/321410/discussions/0/1680315447982463976/

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI