New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios

Gunner98 -> New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/16/2019 10:38:29 PM)

OK, here is the next in the Mediterranean series:

Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right!

16 Feb 1994, 1300 Zulu, 1400 Local

Three days into World War Three and you as Commander 5th Allied Tactical Air Force (ATAF) are now focusing your efforts on the Adriatic and Balkan situation. Commander 6th Fleet as Commander NATO Strike Force Southern Europe (STRIKFORSOUTH) has been given the task of cleansing the Mediterranean Sea of Soviet threats and neutralizing Libya and Syria. Commander Allied Land Forces South-Eastern Europe (LANDSOUTHEAST) is working the situation in the Bosporus and Aegean Sea. All three of these commands have been allocated land, sea and air forces and have effectively become regional Joint Commands, at least until the situation stabilizes.

The situation in the Balkans is complex; Slovenia is working hard at becoming a NATO member but has no military force to speak off, Croatia and Bosnia are being stabilized by UNPROFOR (United Nations Protection Force), Serbia is being actively recruited by the Soviets but the provinces of Macedonia and Kosovo are on the verge of open revolt despite Belgrade’s oppression, and Albania is striving to be neutral but is riddled with organized crime. UNPROFOR is a large force but dispersed across the two countries and set up for stabilization, not warfighting, also several of the 40-odd countries making up its force of over 30,000 troops want no part in this war – and many others want their troops back. NATO’s Operation Deny Flight and Sharp Guard, the air and sea blockade of the Balkans, are still in place but their responsibilities and resources have fallen under your control.

For the past 72 hours your Area of Operation (AO) has been quiet – disturbingly quiet! The WP has not violated UNPROFOR airspace while the tempest of war goes on to the north, south and east, apparently content to hold down NATO forces while conserving their own. NATO on the other hand, not anxious to engage on another front at a disadvantage has been content to hold back and wait, it's pulled back its Operation DENY FLIGHT forces to hold over the Adriatic in a desire not to provoke a reaction, while naval forces maintain anti-smuggling patrols. A phony war akin to the winter of 1939/1940 in France has developed. Although this may sound like a good thing – you’ve watched as forces flowed through and around your command without any real reinforcement being assigned to you – from your perspective that is not good. There are some indications that the Soviets don’t trust their fraternal brothers in Romania and Hungary to do any heavy lifting.

That situation however is about to change. Just over 20 hours ago the small container ship MV Hansa Carrier enroute to Split experienced an explosion reported as a possible mine incident in Splitska Vrata Channel. She was carrying sundry goods for Croatian consumption but also many containers specifically to supply UNPROFOR forces. SHAPE (Supreme HQ Allied Powers Europe) has directed Naples (AFSOUTH – Allied Forces Southern Europe) to conduct strikes into Hungary primarily to distract WP efforts in Germany; but also to exert pressure to deter WP operations supporting Syria and the Bosporus area, and finally to cover SNMCMG2’s (Standing NATO Mine Countermeasures Group 2) operation to rescue the Hansa Carrier.

You’re going to have a busy evening!

As always I look forward to your comments and critiques.

B
-------------

Final ver (1.7) uploaded

AndrewJ -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/17/2019 2:55:57 AM)

Woohoo! I know what I'm doing with my free time for the next week or so. Welcome back!

Whicker -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/17/2019 3:50:20 AM)

spelling - about 2/3 down side briefing: Comd NTFA: Good day Geneal <<

There are lots of NATO land based radars and they all look like they are off - is this on purpose? seems like they should all be on.

Looks interesting, nice work.

Andrea G -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/17/2019 10:51:44 AM)

[:D] Finally [:D]

Andrea G -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/17/2019 12:34:37 PM)

Hi Gunner, I checked the OoB of the AMI (italian air force), for the period, just a couple of corrections.
Would you please consider to put the names of the units in italian?
[:D]
21° Gruppo "Tigre" - Cameri
155° Gruppo "Pantere Nere" - Piacenza (not 159°)
102° Gruppo "Paperi" - Ghedi
156° Gruppo "Linci" - Ghedi
22° Gruppo "Spauracchi" - Istrana
103° Gruppo "Indiani" - Istrana
132° Gruppo "Gatti Neri" - Istrana
23° Gruppo "Veltri" - Cervia
101° Gruppo "Lampi" - Cervia (not 1-1)
9° Gruppo "Meraviglioso" - Grosseto (the name has no reference to the crest)
71° Gruppo "Persei" - Pratica di Mare (not 72°)
8° Gruppo "Cavalieri" - Pratica di Mare
10° Gruppo "Cavallino Rampante" - Grazzanise
201° Gruppo "Scorpioni" - Capodichino (in 1994 still equipped with G91Y)
11° Gruppo Squadroni "Ercole" - Amendola (an Army Aviation Unit)
12° Gruppo "Saetta" - Gioia del Colle
13° Gruppo "Falchi" - Lecce Galatina

Will check also the radar stations

Andrea G -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/17/2019 2:17:04 PM)

The radar sites of the AMI are a little too modern.
Here is the list of the sites with the installed equipment in 1994.
Before the location in brackets is the callsign.

(Cedrone) Monte Scinauz - AN/FPS-88
(Lame) Concordia Saggitaria - Selenia Argos-10 + AN/FPS-89 Actually the radar was in Portogruaro just a few km from Concordia Saggitaria
(Puma) Mortara - AN/FPS-88 + AN/FPS-89 + S-269
(Pioppo) Poggio Renatico - AN/FPS-117
(Bracco) Potenza Picena - Selenia Argos 10 + AN/FPS-89 + S-269
(Quercia) Poggio Ballone - AN/FPS-117
(Fionda) San Giovanni Teatino - AN/FPS-88 + AN/FPS-89
Borgo Piave - technical/administrative unit, no radar
(Fungo) Jacotenente - Selenia Argos 10 + 2 x S-269
(Barca) Licola - Selenia Argos 10 + S-269
(Volpe) Otranto - HR-3000
(Medusa) Crotone - HR-3000
(Trota) Capo Mele - AN/FPS-8 + AN/FPS-89

There is no Italian DB entry for AN/FPS-88, AN/FPS-89 and S-269 but there are of other nationality.
Alas the Argos 10 seems not to be in the DB.
I have searched the net for info but found almost none, probably was similar to ARGOS 5000 mounted on italian cruiser Garibaldi, the old one of WWII era; btw in CMANO the Garibaldi has no such radar.

B52H -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/17/2019 3:05:18 PM)

Loaded up the scen and noticed some of the Yugoslav AD and EW sites were lacking. If you want, I can PM you an import I made of additional sites.

Also, you may want to consider adding some Styx SSM sites in Montenegro and maybe a few G-4, J-22, KA-25, and MI-14 Golubovci to spice things up for the player. The Serbian ships don’t seem to have a sense of direction when embarking on their ship surge mission, so some helis could definitely help.

B52H

Primarchx -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/17/2019 5:03:41 PM)

NATO CAPs are set to intercept outside of patrol zone, this led to some Hornets running all by themselves after WP AWACS in Hungary.

Primarchx -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/17/2019 10:15:32 PM)

Also noticed that aircraft damage was not enable in scenario options. Is this intentional?

Gunner98 -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/17/2019 10:36:23 PM)

Thanks Andrea

I'll fix up the names - I made a couple modifications to history as detailed here http://northernfury.us/nato/it/air/

Not sure if that affects your corrections - or perhaps I have it wrong on the webpage as well.

Thank you

Gunner98 -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/17/2019 10:38:02 PM)

B52H

Thank you, a PM would be appreciated. And I do like to spice things up. [:D]

Gunner98 -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/17/2019 10:40:22 PM)

Primarchx

Not sure how that happened, they worked fine on my test. Will fix.

Aircraft damage will be on one of the later releases. I'll release a CoW and a non-CoW version when finished.

I also wanted to use cargo but opted not too but adding units works fine.

Tx

Gunner98 -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/17/2019 10:41:01 PM)

quote:

There are lots of NATO land based radars and they all look like they are off - is this on purpose? seems like they should all be on

Yeah they probably should be. will fix

Tx

magi -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/18/2019 3:33:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Primarchx

NATO CAPs are set to intercept outside of patrol zone, this led to some Hornets running all by themselves after WP AWACS in Hungary.

i had this problem.... updating to the latest version fixed it....

Whicker -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/20/2019 5:41:43 AM)

The serb ships shoot their styx at really rough contacts - no where near in range in reality, but if I switch to their side there is a rough contact within range, it is just ambiguous and not very close to where the ship actually is.
Maybe tighten up the WRA range? or give them some better awareness/recon somehow?

At the beginning I chose to give up the carrier via special action, at the 5 minute mark I still got a message about it - seems like that message should have been deactivated when I did the special action.

There was no mention of enemy sub threats but I have quite a few ASW assets so I am doing some ASW work but not too much. Would be nice to have some info on the threat.

Gunner98 -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/20/2019 10:57:06 AM)

I want to represent the Serbs as a somewhat ill trained/inexperienced navy - and I think more importantly give them a chance to shoot. If I tighten the WRA up to ambiguity setting they never get a chance to shoot before they are feeding the fish. Tightening up their ranges may be a good option.

Will fix the other two for certain.

Thanks

Gunner98 -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/20/2019 10:58:24 AM)

quote:

There was no mention of enemy sub threats

Oh and there is a sub threat. You should be getting a message shortly which indicates that - about mine delivery. But I'll put it in the brief as well.

goldfinger35 -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/20/2019 2:01:29 PM)

I am excited to play this scenario - when I get back from my vacation which I will be spending in Split [:D]

Andrea G -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/20/2019 2:43:46 PM)

Finally got the time to start it!
Until now nothing to report, the things are still brewing up.

Whicker -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/20/2019 5:58:42 PM)

mine assessment spelling: `The most likely is a combination on delivery ..` of not on. The event is called Min assessment.

Clear sky's with very light rain? is that correct? I wonder what that actually does?

I don't think these should be showing in the logs, but I appreciate the heads up!
Event: 'CAPs' has been fired.
Event: 'Serb Stikes' has been fired. << also mis spelled

There was another event that shouldn't have shown in the logs but I was a little distracted by some stuff.

I just lost the tug - what was I supposed to do with it? I was getting close to the damaged ship but lost track of it. There are also some locked ref points that say SOF on one of them - is there going to be something that tells me about them?

It was such a serene nice day, I was looking forward to catching some smugglers. Now I think I probably spend some time learning my new language, Russian seems simple enough.

Ok, I went back 100secs and wills save the tug. I'd like to start over but that would not be fair. I lost a lot of stuff, but killed a lot of AC as well - at least 2x what I lost. Course that is not real good. Lots I would do different but such is life.

I don't see any scoring for NATO - as far as killing enemy stuff.

Gunner98 -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/20/2019 7:59:10 PM)

Thanks - must have been getting tired one night... will fix the spellers and the events showing in the log.

The Tug gets you points for settling in with the damaged ship (can't remember the distance, 500M I think)

You should have received a message about inserting SOF with the CH-47 on one of the Italian bases.

Will check the scoring.

Enjoy your Russian lessons [;)]

B

Whicker -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/21/2019 6:52:19 AM)

one more run thru of the little skirmish a few hours in. Having seen the future and planned the best I could, I more or less survived in the northerny area somehow - just about got full mileage out of the patriots, but lost all the sweepers down south. And some other stuff. There are a few things going on. Probably would have been smart to dodge some of the incoming stuff up north, by I chose to fight it out. In retrospect the stuff down south was probably more important. But I can only say that since I know what is going to happen, if the bases getting attacked were random then you wouldn't know where to dodge.

There was no message about the sof choppers that I could find in the events, but maybe I missed it and it comes later. Not sure anyone will be left to answer the phone though.

I'm at about 240/75 on AC losses, much better than last time but still not so hot.

Good news is my language skills are coming along well.

Можно мне яблочный пирог? а где все горячие цыпочки?

Gunner98 -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/21/2019 8:51:49 AM)

Thanks Whicker

V Makedonii yest' plyazh s mnozhestvom goryachikh tsyplyat, no u nikh yest' pirog s pitstsey, a ne yabloko.

[:D]

Whicker -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/21/2019 8:39:30 PM)

one more try, 1810Z score is -80 (no scoring other than +250 for letting the carrier go and landing the teams on each ship.

AC losses 270/65, much better, and saved the mine sweepers. Hardly any damage up north though I lost the pats to the last round of vamps.

I'll try to continue from here, but I cheated a bit by knowing what was coming. I probably didn't need to move stuff out of the norther base, it was barely touched - maybe a couple bombers got thru. Looks like main attacks have stopped and I am starting to get planes back from readying.

Primarchx -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/22/2019 3:58:05 PM)

Minor critique, sort of a personal preference, but in a scenario this large having to wait many game hours (usually the same or more real hours) before the real action starts makes it hard for the 'hook' of the scenario to set for me, and get me invested in playing it. It's an issue of realism over playability for me.

I modded the scenario to have a/c ready at the start and had a blast coordinating a large strike in Hungary, then tangled with the Serbs in/around Kotor once that went hot. BTW, there are many singleton fighters filtering into the AO from their patrol areas (not sure if this was a game error, have since updated to most recent), which are more of a nuisance than a threat.

Whicker -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/22/2019 4:14:43 PM)

it was a slow start, I think that was a bit of a head fake. I thought there was still enough to do - but I agree the real action could have come a little sooner. It ran ok for me at 15x which ended up being about 4-5x. 5x ran the same as 1x. Keep in mind if you mod one side you probably need to mod the other side - otherwise the other side probably has no chance and you have whacked the entire scenario.

The mine clearing is interesting, the ones that have divers are kind of important. I have almost totally blown up the ship being rescued, not sure they were that happy to see me.

Primarchx -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/22/2019 4:22:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whicker

it was a slow start, I think that was a bit of a head fake. I thought there was still enough to do - but I agree the real action could have come a little sooner. It ran ok for me at 15x which ended up being about 4-5x. 5x ran the same as 1x. Keep in mind if you mod one side you probably need to mod the other side - otherwise the other side probably has no chance and you have whacked the entire scenario.

The mine clearing is interesting, the ones that have divers are kind of important. I have almost totally blown up the ship being rescued, not sure they were that happy to see me.

Oh, it definitely whacked the scenario. I agree with your assessment for timing - I ran nice and fast on 15x and 1:1 at 5x.

Andrea G -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/22/2019 4:54:22 PM)

Yes it took a while but finally the serbs are coming.
Hostilities begun when I tried a fly-by with a couple of AMX on a serb PFC, it shoot a pair of SAMs and was annihilated by two OTOMAT, with the rest of the serbian navy and a SS that was lurking outside Split roads.
I didn't get identification of the SS because it was stationary at -20m; so I was able to detect it but got no noise to identify it.
Now I got everything up in the air to counter the stream of bogeys.
Let see what will survive the onslaught.

Gunner98 -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/22/2019 6:14:52 PM)

Yeah the slow start was deliberate to give you that 'Phoney War' mindset - its been that slow and slower for three days while the rest of the world tears itself apart. It is also quite a change from many of my other scenarios which tend to start with the player grabbing for anything he can find to fend off the horde.

I can probably ramp it up a bit - the main decision the player has at the start is to follow his orders and prepare for airstrikes or to follow the Int indicators and prepare for A2A; or a combination of the two - the combination option is the most likely I think considering the aircraft available, many are useless at A2A and there are enough indicators to make a player thing that a big A2A fight is a real possibility - the real flex are your F-15E & F-16bl40s

So timing the bad guys to strike 3 hours and a bit into the scenario should work. Will need to move some of the other bits closer to the action to get the full effect but should be OK.

Good luck with the onslaught [8D]

Thanks

Andrea G -> RE: New Scenario for testing - Mediterranean Fury 5, Serbia-right! (7/22/2019 9:02:50 PM)

I survived the first assault.
Mainly because it was targeted against UNPROFOR, which indeed was badly mauled.
Now I have spotted in the message log that the WP is preparing to strike Aviano, a bit gamey I know but... lets think it's about COMINT [:D]
The main A2A assets are in the process of being armed and refueled and I have to rely on a lot of "Spilloni" (Big Needles) the italian nickname for F-104; hope to set a SAM trap with the patriots [&o]

Losses after the first air battle.

SIDE: NATO
===========================================================

LOSSES:
-------------------------------
1x F/A-18A Hornet [EF-18A+, C.15A]
1x F-104S Starfighter ASA
1x F-15E Strike Eagle
1x F-16CJ Blk 50 Falcon
1x Mirage F.1CT
4x Tornado ADV

SIDE: WP

LOSSES:
12x MiG-29 Fulcrum C
1x PL-877V Kilo [Paltus]
2x Su-27S Flanker B

SIDE: Commercial

LOSSES:
1x Commercial Fishing Boat [23m] "oops, I will blame those serbs for this one" [:D]

SIDE: Serbia

LOSSES:
4x J-22 Orao II
13x MiG-21bis Fishbed L
7x MiG-21PFM Fishbed F [MiG-21SPS/SPS-K]
7x MiG-29 Fulcrum A
1x P 831 Sava
3x PC 171 Biokovo [Mirna]
3x RC 301 Mitar Acev [Pr.205 Osa I]
1x RF 31 Beograd [Ex-Split, Pr.1159 Koni]
1x RF 33 Kotor [Pr.1159 Koni]
2x RTOP 401 Rade Konĉar [Type 240]

SIDE: Hugary

LOSSES:
4x MiG-29 Fulcrum

SIDE: UNPROFOR

LOSSES:
1x Building (Communication Hub)
1x Building (Small)
6x Building (Tents)
9x Diesel (40k Liter Tank)
1x Structure (Forward Operating Base)

P.S. I loved the phoney war effect, I started thinking seriously about the smugglers

Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI