Pacific Theatre (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan

AlvaroSousa -> Pacific Theatre (10/22/2019 12:01:09 AM)

Due to the better than expected reception for WarPlan and players asking about the Pacific I have already started generating the base scenario.

[image]local://upfiles/45679/AF5DA6FA8BCD4F2E88DD5C50DDB24D15.jpg[/image]

Zovs -> RE: Pacific Theatre (10/22/2019 12:04:30 AM)

+1

MorningDew -> RE: Pacific Theatre (10/22/2019 12:08:38 AM)

Oh man...I want 10/24 to arrive soon!

Michael T -> RE: Pacific Theatre (10/22/2019 12:55:59 AM)

I am not surprised by the level of interest in WarPlan. There has been a definite lack of a Third Reich type game on the PC for over a decade. Sitting between SC3 and WIF.

Please get WarPlan right though before moving on to the Pacific. WarPlan has huge potential. And there are lots of ex Third Reich players out there hoping this one is finally the one to nail it.

AlvaroSousa -> RE: Pacific Theatre (10/22/2019 1:28:44 AM)

The map will take a long while and I have a rest period right now till release.

Fred98 -> RE: Pacific Theatre (10/22/2019 2:10:55 AM)

I too am a former Third Reich player.

As for map of the Pacific, instead of one big map, how about a hand full of maps, that together cover most of the area.

James Taylor -> RE: Pacific Theatre (10/22/2019 3:08:37 AM)

I believe "Big Al" already did that for SC2.[8D]

rtoolooze -> RE: Pacific Theatre (10/22/2019 3:17:17 AM)

I'm glad your already thinking about the Pacific myself! To eventually play the entire war with WarPlan will be a dream come true! Right on brother!

sol_invictus -> RE: Pacific Theatre (10/22/2019 3:48:34 AM)

You are a wizard Alvaro![&o] I wish you the greatest success!

rtoolooze -> RE: Pacific Theatre (10/22/2019 3:54:30 AM)

Also enjoy your rest period, you earned it!

lecrop -> RE: Pacific Theatre (10/22/2019 4:20:18 AM)

Global war [&o]

juntoalmar -> RE: Pacific Theatre (10/22/2019 5:49:53 AM)

I'm a Avalon Hill Third Reich gamer as well (and later a World in Flames) and a Global War Scenario is what really excites me. I find ETO ends up being kind of repetitive, and keeping the balance between Asia and Europe makes extremely appealing (and challenging) to play with the CW or the USA.

I'm more of a global map instead of a set of maps for each theatre.

juntoalmar -> RE: Pacific Theatre (10/22/2019 5:55:08 AM)

By the way, what do you have in mind, Alvaro?

- Pacific / Global War?
- In case of Global War: Several maps / Global map?
- Delivered as scenario for Warplan / Independent game (as Warplan 2.0)?

I know it's probably too early to have taken all decisions, but perhaps you have something decided already.

AlvaroSousa -> RE: Pacific Theatre (10/22/2019 12:39:35 PM)

To be clear, I only did the last 2 expansions for SC2 as a designer not a coder.

As for future I am not sure yet. I started the Pacific because I have time and there is no modern pacific game out there.

ncc1701e -> RE: Pacific Theatre (11/2/2019 2:15:03 PM)

Is the map in the first post at the same scale per hexes than Europe? For Pacific, reading few things about Guadalcanal, the possibility to split infantry corps into division will be good. Pacific island's battles were mainly at division level. Hope you will allow Tank Corps split even if it does not mean necessarily the same thing per country.

Fintilgin -> RE: Pacific Theatre (11/2/2019 2:18:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: juntoalmar

By the way, what do you have in mind, Alvaro?

- Pacific / Global War?
- In case of Global War: Several maps / Global map?
- Delivered as scenario for Warplan / Independent game (as Warplan 2.0)?

I know it's probably too early to have taken all decisions, but perhaps you have something decided already.

A straight up War in the East scenario/dlc would be cool.

mroyer -> RE: Pacific Theatre (11/2/2019 3:56:49 PM)

Down the road.... far down the road...

Please consider including a Pacific and/or Global scenario with a start date in July 1937. When scenarios start at the obvious Sep '39 and Dec '41 dates, the really interesting parts of the Sino-Japanese Conflict in China are missed.

-Mark R.

Numdydar -> RE: Pacific Theatre (11/2/2019 4:04:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mroyer

Please consider including a Pacific and/or Global scenario with a start date in July 1937. When scenarios start at the obvious Sep '39 and Dec '41 dates, the really interesting parts of the Sino-Japanese Conflict in China are missed.

-Mark R.

I totally agree with this. That is one of the things I like about Hearts of Iron as they start in 1936. Of course if you really want to rewrite WWII history, Making History allows you to start in 1933 [:D] Now THAT would be a great DLC idea [:)]

Worg64 -> RE: Pacific Theatre (11/2/2019 5:05:56 PM)

I would LOVE pacifik AND a historical game starting 1936 with more political influence in the game like Days of Decision (WIF)
That said I hope you finetune this game first and especially work on the AI in defence and especially important cities where it is a bit underwhelming at the moment.

AlvaroSousa -> RE: Pacific Theatre (11/2/2019 5:12:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Taylor

I am "Big Al" from the SC forums.

AlvaroSousa -> RE: Pacific Theatre (11/2/2019 5:16:52 PM)

Scale is 2x that of European so it fits. The PTO is 4x the size of the ETO in reality.

You really don't want a game as large as ETO in PTO map. It is unplayable.

Making the Pacific the same scale it will link up with the ETO. So both theaters will be created separately then linked. You just can't create one single massive scenario on the 1st shot out. I learned that lesson with Brute Force in SC. Tie for 1st in most downloaded mod I might add. It is also in SC2 game that has AoC and AoD

ncc1701e -> RE: Pacific Theatre (11/2/2019 5:40:35 PM)

Understood

Fintilgin -> RE: Pacific Theatre (11/2/2019 7:21:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mroyer

-Mark R.

Someday I want a game like this that has a 'Dice of Decision' module like from the boardgame Totaler Krieg, so you could end up with some wacky WW2 scenarios.

Another future title I'd REALLY like with an engine like this is something like Advanced Tactics, where it randomly generates a map and you're fighting to conquer an unfamiliar scenario.

AlvaroSousa -> RE: Pacific Theatre (11/2/2019 8:02:05 PM)

It's a tough play to do. There are so many variables involved. I have played Days of Decision from ADG for WiF. You never get a good full 1937 to 1945 game because too many things change. It's always a land slide in one direction or another.

WarPlan is first and foremost a wargamer. It should be played with diplomacy turned off.

mroyer -> RE: Pacific Theatre (11/2/2019 8:40:38 PM)

quote:

WarPlan is first and foremost a wargamer.

Just bear in mind the Chinese-Japanese front in 1937-1938 was the largest battle-front of the war, save the eastern front in the Soviet Union. It fits your "first and foremost" criteria perfectly! [;)]

(I agree about keeping diplomacy in the background of WarPlan - although I do like a bit of diplomacy for flavor, not completely "off".)

-Mark R.

AlvaroSousa -> RE: Pacific Theatre (11/2/2019 8:52:16 PM)

Who wants to beat up China for 2 years? Yawn.

mroyer -> RE: Pacific Theatre (11/2/2019 8:59:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alvaro Sousa

[:)] Oh well... each to his own I guess.

I designed and published this table-top board game 20-something years ago. I researched it for about 10 years before that and the deeper I got into the theater, the more and interesting and intriguing I found the topic. For me, the exact opposite of 'yawn'.

i
-Mark R.

scout1 -> RE: Pacific Theatre (11/2/2019 9:38:08 PM)

quote:

This game has far more depth than I anticipated ....Going to enjoy this one .....

Couple of comments thought relative to the PTO .....
You seem predisposed to the land/air component in the ETO ..... PTO is heavily naval related ..... embrace this aspect or don't bother with the PTO add on .... Land combat was a secondary sphere ...

I do believe that unit FOW will need a refresh for the PTO ... certainly along the naval lines .... I'm still learning your system, but have been playing AEWitp for the last 15 yrs .....

Looking forward to expanding my knowledge of this fine ETO gaming system .....

James Taylor -> RE: Pacific Theatre (11/2/2019 11:25:33 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Taylor

I am "Big Al" from the SC forums.

No kidding![:'(]

AlvaroSousa -> RE: Pacific Theatre (11/2/2019 11:38:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: scout1

quote:

This game has far more depth than I anticipated ....Going to enjoy this one .....

Couple of comments thought relative to the PTO .....
You seem predisposed to the land/air component in the ETO ..... PTO is heavily naval related ..... embrace this aspect or don't bother with the PTO add on .... Land combat was a secondary sphere ...

I do believe that unit FOW will need a refresh for the PTO ... certainly along the naval lines .... I'm still learning your system, but have been playing AEWitp for the last 15 yrs .....

Looking forward to expanding my knowledge of this fine ETO gaming system .....

The naval system will work with PTO better than you think. Some features are already in the game that work really well with PTO.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI