(Download Now Available - v3.0) Yet another counter/weather mod (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> MODS and Scenarios

mroyer -> (Download Now Available - v3.0) Yet another counter/weather mod (11/4/2019 10:52:12 AM)

Round Air / Rectangle Naval / Square Ground Units (v3.0)

For players:
Zip File - round air (Hairog inspired) / rectangle naval / square ground
Also make sure to check out PanzerMike's excellent derivative of this mod.

For modders:
units.xcf (27MByte, layered GIMP source file for units.png)
Counters.pptx (22MByte, master counter layout and silhouettes
Symbols.pptx (0.3MByte, unit symbols (e.g., INF, ARM etc...)

Note: Permission granted to use these files in any way you choose so long as you have fun doing it!

(the following images are still from v2 - I will try to update them soon)

1940 image
1941 image
1944 image

All Square Units (v2.0)

units.png - All Square Units (Zov's "Traditional")

1940 image
1941 image
1944 image

Change Description
=============================
v3.0
I put all the .png files into a single .zip file for ease of upload/download management.
Pick-n-choose which files you like (you don't have to use them all, just the ones you like!)

Units.png
Better aligned counter image and unit type symbol with game-engine generated text for a bunch of minors (e.g., Yugoslavia, Turkey, etc...)
moved FTMS air unit letters above combat value to upper right so it doesn't conflict with reinforcement priority plus sign
Air unit drop-shadow spills slightly over to top of next air unit - reduce to drop-shadow to 3 offset/5 blur (instead of 6/8)

terrain.png (file added in v3)
Saturated the colors a bit

weather.png
Removed snow/heavy snow spill-over into rain/heavy rain
Fiddled with rain/heavy rain (PanzerMike's rain weather.png is similar and may end up being better. Check it out.)

supply.png (file added in v3)
Supply numbers to upper left of hex so they conflict with units less

tiles.png (file added in v3)
made green a little "greener" (i.e., more saturated)

tileFill.png (file added in v3)
saturated colors a bit more makes them more distinctive on the map (imo)
Make woods more pronounced
Mountains/Depression symbol updated to look more distinctive and "craggy" (not sure I like this change yet, opinions?)

ocean.png (file added in v3)
Much darker ocean (maybe too dark - still deciding whether I like this one or not)

control.png
no changes to this file

v2.0
units.png - round air/rect navy
-----------------------------
Air unit category letters changed to FTMS (to match Hairog mod letters)
All minors have round air unit counters now
All European minors have with colorized air/naval silhouettes

units.png - traditional all-square
no changes

weather.png
Changed rain to more easily differentiate from heavy rain

control.png (new)
Darkens territorial control colors compared to the original
(purely a matter of taste, but on some monitors the darker colors is more easily seen)

[image]local://upfiles/53808/6DF48182492C481AB22D1951D2330041.jpg[/image]

mroyer -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/4/2019 10:52:49 AM)

And here's Tunisia in the rain.

[image]local://upfiles/53808/E59D27AFE319484A8138486153E6A534.jpg[/image]

apec -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/4/2019 11:09:59 AM)

Nice. I like the counter 3D effect. I would only change the triangle HQ counter to hexagon, the former will be almost covered by units stacking over and has limited space for the unit flag simbols etc.

mroyer -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/4/2019 11:17:53 AM)

quote:

triangle HQ counter to hexagon

ooh... I like it - I'm going to try hexagons to see how it looks. I wanted something so it stands out, but as you point out, the XXXX actually falls off the triangle peak.

-Mark R.

AlbertN -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/4/2019 11:49:09 AM)

I think for some the German counters may be difficult to read.
Black on Dark Gray / Green is not the best of combination.

Otherwise excellent job.

mroyer -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/4/2019 12:28:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Black on Dark Gray / Green is not the best of combination.

Yeah, that's the German feldgrau uniform color - I've used it in the past very effectively for counter sets. But WarPlan uses a flat-black for the unit value numbers with no highlighting, outlining or ability to have other number colors. So that might drive me to lighter counter backgrounds. The French fleets are even worse.

-Mark R.

Zovs -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/4/2019 12:43:54 PM)

I like your counters Mark. Please post when done.

Could you also make a slight mod for yours wherein all the units use "traditional" counters using your counters scheme?

(I am an old board war gamer, and not into the triangle look or the way the ships look currently, the round air units are okay, maybe the ships could look more like those larger ones like Avalon Hill did back in the 60s and 70s, sort of like the game Bismark, but also kind of like Avalanche Press did with Great War at Sea)

AlvaroSousa -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/4/2019 2:14:49 PM)

Wow that looks amazing.

mroyer -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/4/2019 3:43:17 PM)

quote:

Please post when done.

Sure will - no promises on when, though. There are a lot of minors to get through [X(]

quote:

Could you also make a slight mod for yours wherein all the units use "traditional" counters using your counters scheme?

Most likely. Once I have the basic template fully in place, that may be fairly easy to do. We'll see.

quote:

(I am an old board war gamer, and not into the triangle look or the way the ships look currently, the round air units are okay, maybe the ships could look more like those larger ones like Avalon Hill did back in the 60s and 70s, sort of like the game Bismark, but also kind of like Avalanche Press did with Great War at Sea)

Yea, I'm not so thrilled with the triangle either. I liked the circle air units so much, I thought it might be a useful eye-contact to have HQ and Navy different too. I think the Navy might work fine as is and maybe apec's hexagon HQ will work better too. But in any event, I expect it will be easy to make things "traditional" square counters as an alternative.

-Mark R.

Zovs -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/4/2019 4:34:04 PM)

Thanks Mark!

Appreciate your efforts for this old board war gamer :D

mroyer -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/4/2019 4:43:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

Thanks Mark!

I'm right there with 'ya Zovs, my first wargame was a Christmas gift from my mom in the early 1970s, AH's Third Reich (1st edition if I recall correctly). I quickly progressed from there to GDW's Europa series.

-Mark R.

Fintilgin -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/4/2019 5:22:27 PM)

Wow, looks great! The drop shadow is a -little- dark for my taste, though.

ncc1701e -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/4/2019 5:26:05 PM)

3D effect is a brilliant idea. Good work!

Zovs -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/4/2019 6:54:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mroyer

quote:

Thanks Mark!

I'm right there with 'ya Zovs, my first wargame was a Christmas gift from my mom in the early 1970s, AH's Third Reich (1st edition if I recall correctly). I quickly progressed from there to GDW's Europa series.

-Mark R.

Mark,

Similar here, my mom bought me D-Day, Afrkia Korps, Battle of the Bulge, and Waterloo for Christmas in the 70s, my birthday is in June and I got Third Reich, Anzio, PanzerBlitz and PanzerLeader that was my introduction into board war games back then. lol

apec -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/4/2019 8:59:56 PM)

Mark,
not sure if it is doable but, since Warplan has three infantry units (divisions, small and large Corps) on map, would it be possible to make the large corps counters appear thicker than small corps and divisions? That will make easier to differentiate at glance the various infantry units.

Looking forward to see your completed unit mod.
Regads,

mroyer -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/4/2019 9:06:56 PM)

apec, I was wondering the same thing - indeed there are three infantry images in the units.png template implying that they might be for that purpose. If so, then yes it's possible/easy to do.

-Mark R.

apec -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/4/2019 9:43:14 PM)

quote:

apec, I was wondering the same thing - indeed there are three infantry images in the units.png template implying that they might be for that purpose. If so, then yes it's possible/easy to do.

-Mark R.

Thanks Mark, great news.
Regards,

mroyer -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/5/2019 3:34:47 AM)

apec: Hexagon HQ instead of triangle.
Tried hexagon, was okay - better than triangle, but in the end I think perhaps simply square is the best.

Cohen_slith: lighter German Wehrmacht
Done.

Fintilgin: Lighten the drop shadow
Done

apec: thicken large corps vs small corps and divisions
Tried this, but all three infantry sizes apparently use the same template symbol. I'm not sure what the other two inf symbols are for - perhaps Alvaro can clarify.

TODO:
All aircraft/naval silhouettes are the same - need to differentiate by nation.
Minor nations need to be done.

[image]local://upfiles/53808/BA92A46B444342D1A8A3D6E0339C6A5E.jpg[/image]

mroyer -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/5/2019 3:35:12 AM)

Zovs: Alternative for "traditional" square counters

Alternate counters with all squares just for Don Lazov.

[image]local://upfiles/53808/D0725D0FDFD2406089ED0E24C353ECA5.jpg[/image]

basilstaghare -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/5/2019 7:53:35 AM)

Very nice !

apec -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/5/2019 8:40:17 AM)

Hi Mark, thanks for the effort [:)]. The overall effect is great anyway! Regards

ncc1701e -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/5/2019 3:13:21 PM)

quote:

Zovs: Alternative for "traditional" square counters

Alternate counters with all squares just for Don Lazov.

[image]local://upfiles/53808/D0725D0FDFD2406089ED0E24C353ECA5.jpg[/image]

I like it very much [:)]

Barthheart -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/5/2019 4:41:50 PM)

Great colour choices. Was hoping someone would change the Brits to tan, US to olive drab. Maybe do the Russians in brown-yellow instead of red. Canadians should be brownish.

TrogusP96 -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/5/2019 7:01:08 PM)

Wow. Looks very good. What kind of system and monitor does will it take to generate those counter images. Amazing or are they like video games with the cinematic trailers looking one way and in game play looking another?[8D]

mroyer -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/5/2019 8:27:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TrogusP96

Wow. Looks very good. What kind of system and monitor does will it take to generate those counter images. Amazing or are they like video games with the cinematic trailers looking one way and in game play looking another?[8D]

[:)] your mileage may vary!

But seriously, I am just using a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 tablet/computer with a 1920x1080 monitor hooked up via a docking module. There is not special graphics card or anything like that.

Those images are simply cut-n-pasted screen shots.

-Mark R.

Hairog -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/6/2019 2:51:42 AM)

I've used the free program, Paint.net, for years. It works on these low density graphics very nicely. I was an instructor for Adobe Illustrator so I know what vector graphics can do but they are usually overkill for this type of project.

Zovs -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/6/2019 10:49:32 AM)

Mark that looks just fantastic! Many thanks and can’t wait!

mroyer -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/6/2019 11:03:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hairog
I've used the free program, Paint.net, for years. It works on these low density graphics very nicely. I was an instructor for Adobe Illustrator so I know what vector graphics can do but they are usually overkill for this type of project.

I use a combination of Microsoft Power Point and GIMP. It turns out, power point can make great beveled counters that I cut-n-paste into GIMP. GIMP is a free, ultra-powerful graphics imaging software package, but it comes strong learning curve.

quote:

ORIGINAL: zovs
Mark that looks just fantastic! Many thanks and can’t wait!

You're welcome Don. Don, how do I know your name? You use to hang around the Europa forums right? Or did I meet you at an Origins many years ago?

-Mark R.

Zovs -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/6/2019 12:45:13 PM)

Mark yes I used to hang around the old Genie list way way back in the 8 baud modem days when you paid $19.95 a month for dial up and dreamed of 14.4 k modems and drooled at the thought of the ridiculous 56k modems lol. I had an ongoing sub to TEM and wrote a couple of things, used to play Europa a lot, that and ASL were my favorite game systems. I also used to be on the Europa mailing list for the Yahoo groups, and we exchanged texts or emails or whatever on that list at one time or another, pretty sure.

mroyer -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/6/2019 12:55:26 PM)

quote:

Mark yes I used to hang around the old Genie list way way back in the 8 baud modem days when you paid $19.95 a month for dial up and dreamed of 14.4 k modems and drooled at the thought of the ridiculous 56k modems lol. I had an ongoing sub to TEM and wrote a couple of things, used to play Europa a lot, that and ASL were my favorite game systems. I also used to be on the Europa mailing list for the Yahoo groups, and we exchanged texts or emails or whatever on that list at one time or another, pretty sure.

Wait a minute... I could have written that! Genie... Europa... ASL... Yahoo... all true for me to [:)]

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI