RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> MODS and Scenarios

Zovs -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/13/2019 12:37:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mroyer
By all means! I once shared a hotel room with Rich at Origins, many years ago. I haven't heard from Rick in a decade (or two?) - wonder how he's doing.

Very cool! Yeah I do wonder whatever happened not only to Rick but to all the others from those days. I know Winston passed away, but I have lost contact with everyone that I ever knew that played Europa. I met a few folks in IL that went on to play OCS from the Gamers (I never met them in the older Europa days, but they said the played it).

quote:

Wow... WAA! I forgot you were part of the World at Arms thingy. I worked endlessly on that game and in the end the naval system ultimately broke my back and I never completed it. It's unbelievably difficult to get those large, theater/global strategy games to work right - everything from game mechanics to game balance has to be fine tuned and I could never get the naval system right. (Fortunately, the war in China didn't need much naval stuff so War of Resistance got published [:)] )

That's why I have the utmost respect for Alvaro and what he's done with WarPlan!

-Mark R.

Totally hear you, and yes Alvaro has here a classic in my book.

quote:

...how are you guys getting those giant images to load? I can't get it to load any file greater than 200KB which excludes any large image.

Mark, I don't ever get bothered by Matrix's limit on any graphic images, primarily because I bypass them.

So how to do this you may ask. Well here is how I do that.

1. I created a free account with Imgur (https://imgur.com/)
2 Once I log in I go to my Images page (using the hamburger menu on the upper right, see screenshot #1)
3. Then I drag any images that I want to display in the forums into my my images folder. (no screenshot should be self evident)
4. Then I click on the image I want to use for my forum post (see screenshot #2)
5. then I select the second to last html code (see screenshot #3)
6. I then past this into my forum message as html text (see screenshot #4)
7. Then I marvel at how awesome I am, lol, just kidding just a older man that learned a few tricks in life...lol)

Screenshot #1
[img]https://i.imgur.com/M4hqpLe.png[/img]

Screenshot #2
[img]https://i.imgur.com/Ic7zkoR.png[/img]

Screenshot #3
[img]https://i.imgur.com/QTR9EpB.png[/img]

Screenshot #4
[img]https://i.imgur.com/Vy0UpFU.png[/img]

Zovs -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/13/2019 12:39:46 PM)

Oh, my screenshots now are quite a bit bigger, because I have been using a 4k monitor for the last month on my iMac and I reduced my screen resolution to 3840x2400 (WarPlan, Steel Panthers and WitE) to play most games and 2880 x 1800 for other games (TOAW IV).

mroyer -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/13/2019 1:10:40 PM)

[:)] I see! Nice stuff. I was trying to link screen shot urls from dropbox, and that didn't work either.

Some Europa guys I still know about.

John Astell is living in Worcester MA (about an hour from me). I don't think he's very active anymore, but he does keep a "classic Europa" website going.

Arthur Goodwin, last I knew, was still trying to publish "Total War" from GRD/HMS out in Colorado. I think he's been having health problems getting in his way. I had a brief conversation with him a few months ago and he seemed to still be plodding endlessly forward.

I have LinkedIn/FB connections with a few others (Frank Watson comes to mind) - but I don't think they are playing much any more.

Flavio Carrillo (if you remember him - he published "Combined Arms", a fanzine on Europa) I notice is kicking around here as Flaviousx. He has a nice after-action report going for WarPlan.

Gary Stagliano passed away a LONG time ago.

Jeff Millifoglie also passed away. After that I lost touch with the San Francisco crowd (John Gee, etc...)

I still miss talking with Winston - he use to call me about once a month to yack and prod me along on the second China game :) - I think we can mark his passing as the true end of Europa.

But, otherwise, yeah - I've lost touch with 90+% of that crowd.

-Mark R.

budd -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/13/2019 1:25:39 PM)

Question about your weather mod. I can't seem to notice a difference between the one drop and two drop rain, am I just missing it.

mroyer -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/13/2019 4:29:09 PM)

The intent is that the two-drop rain (heavy rain I assume) is suppose to be a heavier, grayer rain streaking. I can see the effect on my monitor, but it's too subtle at the moment - I need to make it clearer. I did the same thing for snow/heavy snow, but that seems more pronounced and is probably okay(?).

Below is the images against a dark gray background, with the original icon weather images overlaid.
[image]local://upfiles/53808/A91BF6BC971F4ECBB8C2A5B5F856A7E9.jpg[/image]

I need to do more work on the weather, I think. Not sure how to show 'cold' - that's a tricky one [:)]. I may just leave it as per the original in the game.

-Mark R.

mroyer -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/13/2019 5:11:01 PM)

Notice on a white background the difference between rain and heavy rain is clearer. The backgrounds can make a big difference (which is probably why Alvaro opted for the simple, clean, clear icon in the upper right of the hex.

-Mark R.

[image]local://upfiles/53808/6E7DEC0649AF4F198D3573DAC3DACDDB.jpg[/image]

W8taminute -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/14/2019 2:24:56 PM)

quote:

Some Europa guys I still know about.

John Astell is living in Worcester MA (about an hour from me). I don't think he's very active anymore, but he does keep a "classic Europa" website going.

-Mark R.

Interesting. I'm not too far from Worcester. Small world.

mroyer -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/14/2019 3:03:30 PM)

quote:

Indeed. I am in Billerica, just south of Lowell. Where are you at? My son is going to college at Worcester Polytechnic in Worcester.

-Mark R.

W8taminute -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/14/2019 3:34:51 PM)

quote:

quote:

Indeed. I am in Billerica, just south of Lowell. Where are you at? My son is going to college at Worcester Polytechnic in Worcester.

-Mark R.

I know Billerica. Used to work in Burlington. I'm in Marlborough and you have to spell it with the ugh at the end. [:D]

mroyer -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/14/2019 10:04:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: W8taminute
I know Billerica. Used to work in Burlington. I'm in Marlborough and you have to spell it with the ugh at the end. [:D]

I use to live in Marlborough - gee whiz.... back in about the 1983-4 time-frame :)
Go Shamrocks! (Do the Shamrocks, Marlborough's semi-pro football team, still exist?)

-Mark R.

W8taminute -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/15/2019 2:12:10 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: W8taminute

I use to live in Marlborough - gee whiz.... back in about the 1983-4 time-frame :)
Go Shamrocks! (Do the Shamrocks, Marlborough's semi-pro football team, still exist?)

-Mark R.

Wow that's funny! What a coincidence. I'm sure a lot has changed though since the 80's.

I've not heard of the Shamrocks but the high school football team (The Panthers) is still playing.

gregb41352 -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/15/2019 4:02:53 PM)

Just tremendous work. Thanks so much for doing this.

mroyer -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/18/2019 10:35:22 AM)

Updated to version v2.0.
Download links in opening post.

=============================
v2.0
=============================
units.png - round air/rect navy
-----------------------------
Air unit category letters changed to FTMS (to match Hairog mod letters)
All minors have round air unit counters now
All European minors have with colorized air/naval silhouettes

units.png - traditional all-square
no changes

weather.png
Changed rain to more easily differentiate from heavy rain

control.png (new)
Darkens territorial control colors compared to the original
(purely a matter of taste, but on some monitors the darker colors is more easily seen)

escorpion -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/18/2019 2:25:46 PM)

Hi Mroyer,

I really appreciate the counters mod you did release for Warplan.

I also did one, http://www.puntadelanza.net/Foro/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=20567.

Would you mind if I use some of your stuff for my mod improvement?

I will for sure refer to your mod and give credit to it and you.

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Rayfer -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/18/2019 5:43:31 PM)

Can someone help a computer dummy learn how and where to download these counter mods so that they work? I've tried but without success. Thanks.

escorpion -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/18/2019 5:58:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rayfer

Can someone help a computer dummy learn how and where to download these counter mods so that they work? I've tried but without success. Thanks.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4711288

Rayfer -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/18/2019 7:43:45 PM)

Thanks escorpion...finally got it to work.

Radagy -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/18/2019 10:41:38 PM)

I just downloaded the modded images. Fine work, I enjoy how it feels.
It reminds me of the good old times when I used to play around a table playing with friends.
I think some fine-tuning is required to find a proper color match on the counters.
Germans should be feld grau, but they look olive drab. I would prefer plain grey as they usually are.

mroyer -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/18/2019 11:01:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: escorpion
Hi Mroyer,
I really appreciate the counters mod you did release for Warplan.

Thanks for that!

quote:

I also did one, http://www.puntadelanza.net/Foro/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=20567.

I know! I've been following it - very nice. When I tire of mine, yours is one of several I will cycle through to keep the game aesthetically fresh and different :)

quote:

Would you mind if I use some of your stuff for my mod improvement?

Of course you can. This is all just for fun - there's no money or other incentive which is the only legitimate reason to worry about copyrights and the like. We're all in this together to make Alvaro's great game just a touch more interesting.

If you want my GIMP (or Photoshop) source files, I'd be happy to give them to you.

quote:

I will for sure refer to your mod and give credit to it and you.

No worries either way. Thanks for checking in, though - I do appreciate the consideration.

-Mark R.

mroyer -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/18/2019 11:13:42 PM)

quote:

I think some fine-tuning is required to find a proper color match on the counters.

I'm all ears - especially for good suggestions for the colors for minors. It gets surprisingly difficult to pick 50+ colors and keep them both relevant and distinct [:)]

quote:

Germans should be feld grau, but they look olive drab. I would prefer plain grey as they usually are.

Those are Feldgrau (RGB: 77,93,83) counters (in English it means field grey). That shade was the basic uniform color of the Wehrmacht from 1937 to 1945. I guess it's personal preference, but I prefer the Feldgrau to a pure grey.

-Mark R.

escorpion -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/19/2019 1:51:19 AM)

Thanks Mark, I work with Paint, however thanks for your offer.

-J.R.

mroyer -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/19/2019 3:04:09 AM)

quote:

Thanks Mark, I work with Paint, however thanks for your offer.

-J.R.

Paint!?!?! Holy crap - if you can accomplish that with paint I can only imagine what you could do with GIMP!
-Mark R.

Rosseau -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/22/2019 4:13:40 AM)

Thanks to both of you for the mods. Hoping to see some scenario mods, too. Maybe something a bit ahistorical?

PanzerMike -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/22/2019 9:55:40 AM)

Round Air / Rectangle Naval / Square Ground Units (v2.0) looks fabulous. Just one minor issue: if an air unit has its "prioritize for reinforcements" checked, the green + symbol is positioned over the letter on the counter (M, F, T, etc). No biggie and perhaps unavoidable.

[image]local://upfiles/20547/3E66A6C6F2744DF8A83DBD5E86B90D37.jpg[/image]

Queeg -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/22/2019 6:52:27 PM)

This is really outstanding work. Actually prompted me to pull the trigger on buying the game.

mroyer -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/23/2019 1:11:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Just one minor issue: if an air unit has its "prioritize for reinforcements" checked, the green + symbol is positioned over the letter on the counter (M, F, T, etc). No biggie and perhaps unavoidable.

[image]local://upfiles/20547/3E66A6C6F2744DF8A83DBD5E86B90D37.jpg[/image]

Yes [:(]... Noticed this myself a couple days ago. I already fixed it by moving the FTMS letters above the air unit strength. I haven't posted the update yet - I hate to go wild with willy-nilly updates so I was waiting a while to see if anything else surfaced.

-Mark R.

[image]local://upfiles/53808/F7AB43430637419CAD6749015E47F357.jpg[/image]

budd -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/23/2019 1:26:54 AM)

How about putting the cross under the other wing opposite the dots totally in the lighter color space.

mroyer -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (11/23/2019 2:36:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: budd

How about putting the cross under the other wing opposite the dots totally in the lighter color space.

Budd,
The game engine positions the numbers, the action dots, the reinforce priority plus, the mission triangle and the unit size ('xxx') - the mod has no control over that. Everything in the mod image has to work around those fixed positions.

-Mark R.

mroyer -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (12/3/2019 12:20:42 PM)

Version 3 of this mod is uploaded. Description of changes and link for download is on opening post of this thread.

-Mark R.

PanzerMike -> RE: Yet another counter/weather mod (12/3/2019 5:45:57 PM)

Absolutely love your units.png

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI