1st turn non historical moves - Japan (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room

Enforcer -> 1st turn non historical moves - Japan (12/6/2019 1:48:31 AM)

I have spoken with Yamaguchi but wanted to ask the Japanese fbs what are your favorite opening moves... If you don't feel comfortable posting.. shoot me a pm

Trugrit -> RE: 1st turn non historical moves - Japan (12/6/2019 1:20:44 PM)

What is it you are asking?

We just went through the first turn on another thread. It is full of dangerous dragons.

Are you asking how I can pull some stunt and really stick it to the Allied player?

Am I going to take the KB to Manila because I have inside information on his forces
and I can get the jump on him and really piss him off?

Or, are you asking about legitimate strategies like am I going to stick around for a few days
after the Pearl harbor attack and hit him several more times?

Am I going to run the Mersing Gambit? Shift my forces around?

I’m not going to do any of it on the first turn.

I’ve got an Allied player whose willing to play me and I have basic human
consideration for him. I want him to have a good game experience because he is a fellow
gamer and I’m not going to put a stick in his eye on the first turn just because I can.

It is enough for me as a Japanese player that I’m going to beat the crap out of him in 1942
Without pulling any of this. I’m satisfied with that.

The thing is that no matter what scenario you are playing you just want to make it through
the first turn. After you make it through the first turn things settle down and you can play
along normal lines.

The campaign games are about long term strategy not about a slam dunk opening.

Chickenboy -> RE: 1st turn non historical moves - Japan (12/6/2019 2:58:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Enforcer

I have spoken with Yamaguchi but wanted to ask the Japanese fbs what are your favorite opening moves... If you don't feel comfortable posting.. shoot me a pm

Enforcer-you may want to check out a parallel thread on 'Manila vs. PH first turn'. That has been a parallel discussion going on for a week or so. Alfred helpfully posted some other links to older discussions on the topic too.

GetAssista -> RE: 1st turn non historical moves - Japan (12/6/2019 4:20:05 PM)

quote:

Use superior intelligence knowledge to achieve what Japan striven to achieve by PH - shock and awe[8D]
2 Divisions to Portland, rest to Singers via direct landing and then West India/Karachi. With Brits out of the war and the loss of majority of CVEs your opponent will cry and surrender. Risks be damned

I'm comfortable because I only play AI [:D]

Hanzberger -> RE: 1st turn non historical moves - Japan (12/19/2019 10:50:22 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

Use superior intelligence knowledge to achieve what Japan striven to achieve by PH - shock and awe[8D]
2 Divisions to Portland, rest to Singers via direct landing and then West India/Karachi. With Brits out of the war and the loss of majority of CVEs your opponent will cry and surrender. Risks be damned

I'm comfortable because I only play AI [:D]

What Scenario do you play?

PaxMondo -> RE: 1st turn non historical moves - Japan (12/19/2019 11:22:05 AM)

Playing against the AI and doing the deep moves like those suggested by GA is guaranteed to win because it will 'break' the AI. Doesn't matter which scenario you play against the AI in.

Hanzberger -> RE: 1st turn non historical moves - Japan (12/20/2019 2:56:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Playing against the AI and doing the deep moves like those suggested by GA is guaranteed to win because it will 'break' the AI. Doesn't matter which scenario you play against the AI in.

I read that as a joke on his part, surely he can't be serious.

PaxMondo -> RE: 1st turn non historical moves - Japan (12/20/2019 3:04:39 AM)

No, against the AI, you can take such actions and it won't defend anywhere nearly as well as a HUMAN player. I'm not saying that GA did this exact move or not. I will say that I have sandboxed very similar things to understand what it would take and how to set it up.

As I say, against the AI, it could be made to work and that would create a very short game. In a PBEM with no HR's it might work, but if it fails, the allies would be overwhelming you in '43. But a surprise raid on the West Coast, taking out Portland (CVE's) and/or Seattle (4E's) would be a big hit.

Think about a game with almost no B-29's … wow. Or the DeathStar with no CVE's …

GetAssista -> RE: 1st turn non historical moves - Japan (12/20/2019 8:41:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hanzberger
quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

I read that as a joke on his part, surely he can't be serious.

There were PBEMs where Japan successfully took Portland, thus destroying all the ships in the building queue (ouch!). Granted it was thanks to the sloppy play by the Allies not re-positioning their landlocked CONUS power to counter the possible threats, Which are real, not highly probable but real.

There were also PBEMs where Japan almost took Karachi (or even took it, I don't remember). It surely can be done with proper concentration of force and luck in taking Singapore early, cause Allies just do not have enough material in the first months of the war. Not that it matters much against human opponent because Allies will just redirect all the incoming reinforcements to other offmap bases and lose nothing. But Japan will have a hard time guarding against India invasion somewhere in 43

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI