Editing Standard Operating Procedures (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Requested Features and Ideas

Embiss -> Editing Standard Operating Procedures (5/17/2020 7:38:43 AM)

I posted an article related to this in the Steam Forums, this seems a better place to expand on the idea. In my previous post I mentioned that editing SOP was an option in the original version of Flashpoint Germany and how useful it would be to see that return, I will briefly recap that before elaborating on the idea.

Editing SOP's would, for example, mean that the player at scenario setup could determine at what range a unit might stand off from the enemy when given a screen order. This would give some flexibility to the commander in how his forces would deploy. A conservative commander desperate to preserve heliborne recon elements might order them to stand off well out of AA range, a more aggressive posture might be to set the stand off range to much lesser range and risk the recon elements in order to get better recon intel.

Editing SOP's might also allow the commander to set priority target types for units. I cant remember if this was possible withing the original game, (I recall that was an option in TACOPS if you are familiar with that) So you could choose for a unit to ignore certain classes of target and fire only on specified target types. You may want your commander to prioritise only troop transports, or only Tanks, or to only open fire at a particular range.

RFalvo69 -> RE: Editing Standard Operating Procedures (9/3/2020 12:34:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Embiss
or to only open fire at a particular range.

It is pretty amazing that this feature still has not been implemented [:@]. This alone ruins any idea of "ambushing" the enemy - something totally basic in other similar games.

CapnDarwin -> RE: Editing Standard Operating Procedures (9/4/2020 4:26:26 PM)

This is the great debate and having an only fire at "X" range is really not what you guys want when you see what it will do to you. Case in point, You set a fire at the enemy at 1000m. The enemy spots you at 2000m and starts pounding you ugly. You are going to say, why am I getting killed and why aren't my guys shooting back. Easy, you said not to fire until 1000m. So now you start down a long list of if this, then do that, except in this condition, etc., etc., and so on. The game already has logic for surprise opening shots and also having infantry in built-up areas holding fire until close range for better anti-tank effects. Everything goes out the window if you are "ambushing" and get spotted by recon or thermals. At a 500 meter scale, you have to work within that framework. In an ambush, you are only going to get those first surprise shots and then you are "seen" and the enemy will adjust to the new threat. Now in the new game engine we are adding in some SOP functions and you may be able to get closer to the ambush you want here, but units will still move or shoot on their own if the situation becomes serious (outgunned, risk-averse, etc.).

Hopefully, this makes sense to you guys. [8D]

pzgndr -> RE: Editing Standard Operating Procedures (9/4/2020 11:59:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CapnDarwin
So now you start down a long list of if this, then do that, except in this condition, etc., etc., and so on...

Yes, but like Embiss said, TacOps had all this and it worked fine. 20-25 years ago. It shouldn't be so difficult to re-implement in some form here. Maybe not exactly the same, but something similar. I've commented on this before myself. One of my major gripes when I was playing was not being able to order a unit to simply "shoot & scoot" for a covering force battle. Set a range for a unit to engage enemy in a Kill Zone, then keep shooting or scoot. If a unit comes under fire, there should be a SOP to return fire, and/or scoot, or whatever. Get OPFOR to deploy and slow down, so you can maneuver and engage. This is basic stuff I trained for in RL and was able to do in TacOps, but not here (not well at least).

I think you guys understand what we're saying. I'm looking forward to seeing how your new SOP functions work out in SS. And yes, at this 500m scale it is a bit different and it takes some getting used to. But bottom line is we do need some more SOP functions we can edit, to set criteria like a commander would when issuing OPORDs.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI