RE: Variants and Options (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Andy Mac -> RE: Variants and Options (8/23/2021 3:00:31 PM)

Nomad did the amends for the guys I am happy to do so if any other pairs want to try a game

Andy Mac -> RE: Variants and Options (8/23/2021 3:14:04 PM)

Looking for both balance and clarity feedback

btd64 -> RE: Variants and Options (8/23/2021 3:15:16 PM)

Nice possibilities Andy....GP

Andy Mac -> RE: Variants and Options (8/23/2021 3:29:58 PM)

I think I may include a lot of the variant options in my next scen 2 update (but not active) to make it easier to process variant options I think it more of a pain t6o do a big 200 point game than I thought it would be and if I had pre prepared scenario with ships and air groups even if inactive it would have made life easier to do the variants - is that fair Nomad ?

ie add in a load of ahistoric ships and air groups but inactive so that once they select the ships its easy to process them will just take a load from Ironman

Andy

Moltrey -> RE: Variants and Options (8/23/2021 3:42:07 PM)

I probably missed the reference earlier in the thread Andy, but is this at all related to your Alternate scenarios over in the other thread? Guess I am kinda confused.
Having said that, I am all for any tweaks to enhance the accuracy of ship locations, etc, etc. at grand campaign start.

Andy Mac -> RE: Variants and Options (8/23/2021 3:45:40 PM)

yup this is all about variants

HansBolter -> RE: Variants and Options (8/23/2021 3:54:28 PM)

Soooo........two or three weeks of negotiations as a lead up to cementing what game two players are actually going to start?

Man, it really makes me glad I play solitaire.

Evoken -> RE: Variants and Options (8/23/2021 4:00:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Soooo........two or three weeks of negotiations as a lead up to cementing what game two players are actually going to start?

There is no negotiations , you agree on a budget and spend your points as you wish , with my opponent we got it done in a day. You dont even play pbem i dont know why you come up to the thread with negativity , have with with your solitaire [:)]

Nomad -> RE: Variants and Options (8/23/2021 4:10:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

I think I may include a lot of the variant options in my next scen 2 update (but not active) to make it easier to process variant options I think it more of a pain t6o do a big 200 point game than I thought it would be and if I had pre prepared scenario with ships and air groups even if inactive it would have made life easier to do the variants - is that fair Nomad ?

ie add in a load of ahistoric ships and air groups but inactive so that once they select the ships its easy to process them will just take a load from Ironman

Andy

Very, this is proving to be a lot of work.

Evoken -> RE: Variants and Options (8/23/2021 4:17:23 PM)

If anyone wants to start a pbem with these variants , i am also available as a 3rd party editor to put your changes into the game.

Andy Mac -> RE: Variants and Options (8/23/2021 10:18:19 PM)

Made an update as hadnt fully appreciated how many aircraft comes with a CVB...

HansBolter -> RE: Variants and Options (8/24/2021 11:27:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Evoken

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

There is no negotiations , you agree on a budget and spend your points as you wish , with my opponent we got it done in a day. You dont even play pbem i dont know why you come up to the thread with negativity , have with with your solitaire [:)]

My comment was 'tongue in cheek'. Sorry for you that you aren't quick enough on the uptake to have figured that out.

So you apparently subscribe to the idiotic notion that because I am a white male any opinion I have on women or race relations is invalid and not allowed to be voiced?

Thanks for letting me know you stand with the leftist village idiots of the planet.

Soooo....the 'agreement' on the budget does not constitute a 'negotiation'?

Work on getting a clue.

Green Button ON.

Andy Mac -> RE: Variants and Options (8/24/2021 12:45:59 PM)

Still looking for balance feedback played a couple of games myself but they were small 50 pointers where we both just added a little flavour ships and stuff nothing that materially impacted the game just let folks play a little differently or fix bug points for them

Andy Mac -> RE: Variants and Options (8/24/2021 12:49:55 PM)

Also if anyone has any ideas I like the conversion option but cannot see a way to score it

But if there are other variants folk want me to look at let me know

Always happy to add more I learned a lot from Evoken and deaniks picks they both did things I would never have considered and therefore led me to amend points !!!

Lowpe -> RE: Variants and Options (8/24/2021 3:12:19 PM)

Thanks Andy for an intriguing variant.[&o]

As Japan, I could see an early addition of cruisers and destroyers for a shot at AV....or a 1944 addition of Carriers timed with an early produced Sam....although waiting till 44 for your points to come into play seems like a big sacrifice/risk.

I would probably dump all the points into destroyers as that would suit my playstyle! I wonder what the long term fuel usage would look like?

RangerJoe -> RE: Variants and Options (8/24/2021 6:07:03 PM)

Add a lot more oil in the Home Islands . . .

Andy Mac -> RE: Variants and Options (8/24/2021 6:27:46 PM)

Post 23 - 29 has the latest list which allows both of what Rangerjoe and Lowpe were suggesting

rustysi -> RE: Variants and Options (8/25/2021 1:26:13 AM)

quote:

Thanks for letting me know you stand with the leftist village idiots of the planet.

That's politics.[:-]

HansBolter -> RE: Variants and Options (8/25/2021 3:05:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

That's politics.[:-]

Yes it is. He shouldn't have brought his to the table if he didn't want to get his nose rubbed in it.

My response, though made in response to a bait, clearly violated the terms of service and I will gladly accept the suspension I deserve.

Andy Mac -> RE: Variants and Options (8/25/2021 7:04:04 PM)

Deleted the Ironman Aircraft as those are a step too far for variants and are really modders territory !!!

rustysi -> RE: Variants and Options (8/25/2021 8:19:28 PM)

quote:

and I will gladly accept the suspension I deserve.

I don't think we need to go that far, most of us 'slip' once in a while.[:)]

scondon87 -> RE: Variants and Options (8/26/2021 12:05:18 AM)

This is a really cool innovation, even for a non-PBEM player like me. Was wondering if a fun wrinkle would be for it not being new points, but taking existing assets and changing them around as a way to introduce more uncertainty into what the opponents OOB looks like.

deaniks -> RE: Variants and Options (8/26/2021 2:21:23 AM)

Andy, how would you feel off adding some points in there for maluses of the opponent? Say delay an (aircraft start by 3 month's arrival date can't be later than 12/45) or -25 PP per day max of once or twice up to you. Or even delay a ship date by one month can only be picked once? Something along those lines or can be even eviler, remove a div your opponent added now something like that is at risk right spending point's on something your opponent might have added is just some idea's.

RangerJoe -> RE: Variants and Options (8/26/2021 3:33:50 AM)

How could the opponent control the other sides production and deployment schedules? If you want to change things, do a mod.

Andy Mac -> RE: Variants and Options (8/26/2021 8:59:26 AM)

I get what you are saying but this is a 2 or 3 year real time game where the journey is more important than the outcome and the variants are supposed to be about giving players a little flavour or bespoking it to play like they want with a few toy it to be not about picking the optimimum to win or damage your opponent - so I think I will stick to additive variants because if I was committing to a game and discovered on turn 1 that my opponent has removed the toys I wanted to play with I would be pissed

e.g. +25 PP's I tend to pick that because for me its immersive to have my Divisions belong to the proper Corps - it isnt about releasing Divisions quicker its about making sure that my org structure in game is neat its an OCD thing for me

So if I take extra PP's to allow me to do that and my opponent prevented it I would be very unhappy.

So for me it defeats the purpose of what is supposed to be a bit of fun - I hope that makes sense

quote:

ORIGINAL: deaniks

Andy, how would you feel off adding some points in there for maluses of the opponent? Say delay an (aircraft start by 3 month's arrival date can't be later than 12/45) or -25 PP per day max of once or twice up to you. Or even delay a ship date by one month can only be picked once? Something along those lines or can be even eviler, remove a div your opponent added now something like that is at risk right spending point's on something your opponent might have added is just some idea's.

RangerJoe -> RE: Variants and Options (8/26/2021 2:27:49 PM)

How would a player like it if the opponent cut their PPs when they did not increase theirs? How about decreasing the Japanese fuel, oil and supply situation from the beginning? How much fun would that be for the Japanese player? How long would the Japanese player continue? How many Japanese players would you get after doing that?

ny59giants -> RE: Variants and Options (8/31/2021 12:45:10 AM)

One that just came to me would be to raise the night experience levels for major Allied warships (CA, BC, BB) or maybe include those plentiful CLs and larger by 20 to 25 points. This would be for the at start and through '42. I just got BB North Carolina in mid-42 and hope she does not see any night time surface combat for some time.

Xargun -> RE: Variants and Options (8/31/2021 2:28:41 PM)

I am just starting a game with this variant rule against Nomad - we picked 100 points and had our choices done in 2 days -- I was the slow poke as I had never done this before and as Japan there are a lot of interesting choices... Problem for a lot of the 'extra' choices is that Japan has to build them all (whereas the Allies do not) so you have to be careful. As for adding tons of oil, you can only add 1 50 point oil source max... And its expensive - 5 points (one of the most expensive picks on the list).

I like the idea as you can take what your side offers and adjust for your play style and known weaknesses... If you always lose a couple CVs to be being too aggressive, well then you can add a couple more into the queue and so forth. I picked several choices to offset my known game weaknesses - and several just because they seem to great to pass up... only time will tell with those.

I am considering running an AAR opposite Nomad but haven't decided yet. AARs are always interesting in the beginning but often peter out after a few months.

Xargun

Evoken -> RE: Variants and Options (8/31/2021 6:28:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xargun

I am just starting a game with this variant rule against Nomad - we picked 100 points and had our choices done in 2 days -- I was the slow poke as I had never done this before and as Japan there are a lot of interesting choices... Problem for a lot of the 'extra' choices is that Japan has to build them all (whereas the Allies do not) so you have to be careful. As for adding tons of oil, you can only add 1 50 point oil source max... And its expensive - 5 points (one of the most expensive picks on the list).

I like the idea as you can take what your side offers and adjust for your play style and known weaknesses... If you always lose a couple CVs to be being too aggressive, well then you can add a couple more into the queue and so forth. I picked several choices to offset my known game weaknesses - and several just because they seem to great to pass up... only time will tell with those.

I am considering running an AAR opposite Nomad but haven't decided yet. AARs are always interesting in the beginning but often peter out after a few months.

Xargun

Xargun has a good point on ship building , i believe putting ships in a task force doesnt count towards shipyard requirement for Japan. I believe this is a good solution;
1) Doesnt put strain on Japanese economy
2) Japanese player cant accelerate ships bought with points , would be more balanced

Lowpe -> RE: Variants and Options (9/2/2021 3:19:01 PM)

Idea 1:

Japanese High Command noted the effectiveness of the Allied 40mm AA guns throughout the war...and decided they need to accelerate the adoption of their own 40mm AA gun.

The 40mm T05AA gun, normally slated to arrive in 9/45 has been accelerated by throwing men and material into its program.

Have two purchase points:

1. Activation is now Jan 1945
2. Activation is now April 1944

Idea 2

Japan accelerates the development of aerial radars:

Accelerate all aerial radars by six months.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI