WITP:AE now $16 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

CaptBeefheart -> WITP:AE now $16 (11/27/2020 2:22:06 AM)

If anyone is sitting on the fence, this game now costs $16 as part of the Matrix Holiday Sale.

Cheers,
CB

rustysi -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (11/27/2020 2:51:31 AM)

Absolutely a great buy for this 'time vampire'.

eskuche -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (11/27/2020 3:38:53 AM)

Big WitE player. Looking to get into this :)

btd64 -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (11/27/2020 11:31:52 AM)

Great deal considering all of the fun you will get out of this game....GP

rustysi -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (11/28/2020 3:16:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

If you're willing to sink the amount of time into it that is required!!!!!

Ambassador -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (11/28/2020 7:37:33 AM)

The cost per hour of play is under 0.01 $/€... even when you’ve bought it full price at launch ![&o]

streetsahead1985 -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (11/28/2020 4:41:32 PM)

It's been on my radar for years, so I should probably pull the trigger. Does the game hold up pretty well (I know this is a silly question considering the forum that I'm on)? How does it compare to other Grigsby titles?

GetAssista -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (11/28/2020 6:09:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi
quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

If you're willing to sink the amount of time into it that is required!!!!!

Нehe, definitely the game that favors people in retirement. I'm not there yet and I find that when I play several turns in a row I stop functioning as a productive man for quite some period of time [:D] Not to mention I won't play PBEM since I can't spend as much time as I want on my turns.

Moltrey -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (11/28/2020 8:27:39 PM)

I got it back when it was never on sale, so $80, but as my consolation prize I did score a printed manual (which my Maine Coon got wet dumping over a glass of water [:@]).
I consider it money well spent. Granted, I have been gaming since the early 70's, so... I am a bit biased. [sm=innocent0009.gif]

John 3rd -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (11/28/2020 9:47:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ambassador

The cost per hour of play is under 0.01 $/€... even when you’ve bought it full price at launch ![&o]

Guess that makes my price .0001 an hour then!

mattj78 -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (11/29/2020 1:48:08 AM)

you wont be disappointed i bought it in march i love it and i own war in the west and east to me its better

Cavalry Corp -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (11/29/2020 4:00:30 PM)

Just out of interest what version of the game do you get?
I assume that you still need to install the beta 26b and install a new desktop icon.exe from the beta folder in the installation. the reason why I'm asking this is that I have a friend I have managed to convince to buy but he is not the best at this sort of thing.

want him to be able to play all the mods etc.

RangerJoe -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (11/29/2020 10:32:27 PM)

Go through the SeeBee installation for the set up.

Yaab -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (12/1/2020 9:52:32 AM)

ARE YOU NOT ENTICED?

USSAmerica -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (12/1/2020 12:23:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

ARE YOU NOT ENTICED?

I am enticed and I've owned the game since it's release day in 2009. [:D]

btd64 -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (12/1/2020 12:27:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

ARE YOU NOT ENTICED?

I am enticed and I've owned the game since it's release day in 2009. [:D]

I'm so enticed that I'm thinking about buying a second copy 🤔. Just because I could....GP

789456281 -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (12/2/2020 12:28:25 AM)

eek I paid 79.99$ afew months ago[:@]

icitrom -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (12/2/2020 5:59:24 AM)

Yeah, me too. WitP-AE has been on my to-buy list for a long time. At CAD$110, it always seemed to take a back seat to some other purchase. I took advantage of Matrix's holiday sale and snagged it for CAD$22 (USD$16) and I'm thrilled.

streetsahead1985 -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (12/2/2020 5:03:21 PM)

Took the plunge and bought the game. Haven't tinkered with any mods yet, but configured the shortcut to include the performance-increasing switches. This game is massive! With WitE you could jump in and play pretty quickly and learn as you go, but this game seems like every aspect requires a deep dive from the player. I sort of love that.

Still trying to wrap my head around air units (haven't played for that long). As far as I can tell you set their mission and the units follow the orders to the best of their ability. Like, I can't just tell a squadron to attack a specific base, right? There's no way to set destination? Sorry about the painfully newbish question, I'm just excited to learn everything.

BBfanboy -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (12/2/2020 5:20:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: streetsahead1985

Took the plunge and bought the game. Haven't tinkered with any mods yet, but configured the shortcut to include the performance-increasing switches. This game is massive! With WitE you could jump in and play pretty quickly and learn as you go, but this game seems like every aspect requires a deep dive from the player. I sort of love that.

Still trying to wrap my head around air units (haven't played for that long). As far as I can tell you set their mission and the units follow the orders to the best of their ability. Like, I can't just tell a squadron to attack a specific base, right? There's no way to set destination? Sorry about the painfully newbish question, I'm just excited to learn everything.

Of course you can target a base - after you set the mission type and altitude and range, it's right there in the top right of the squadron screen - select target. And if you have multiple bomber units to assign you can click on "set all units at this base" and they all get the same orders (but that does not pick up other aircraft of different type - a fighter bomber or dive bomber is not a level bomber type).

Ship targets in a TF are different - you cannot target them directly because they have the chance to move before the air phase of the turn. You set the bombers to Naval Attack and give them the range limit and altitude, and the bombers wait until there is detection of the enemy TF before launching. That normally means an afternoon attack or, if there is no detection or poor weather, no attack at all!

Most of us trying the Grand Campaign played several turns and realized that we made many mistakes while learning how the game works (controls and consequences of our settings) and how we could have done better. So we restarted and changed things and tried again - two or three more times!
The big thing is to save your first turn setup and never overwrite it (slot 003 or higher). You can restart using that turn instead of from scratch and just change the things you want to.

streetsahead1985 -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (12/2/2020 5:26:11 PM)

Great advice, I really appreciate it. I don't know how I managed to overlook the air destination order! Once I manage to get the hang of things I can see this being my most played Grigsby title.

Thanks again.

Moltrey -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (12/3/2020 12:10:07 AM)

As a relative newb, the best advice for you who just purchased WITP:AE. Disabuse yourself of any Omnipotent Arch-admiral leanings. This game has lots of hidden data and "fuzzy" numbers (combat reports, sinkings, etc.). Furthermore, if you can't hack your units refusing to follow your orders to the letter, this is NOT the game for you... unless of course you can manage to turn over a new gamer leaf and embrace the UNCERTAINTY. There's lots and lots of it. Having said all that, I believe the payoff is worth the time and money investment, particularly at $16 US.

painless42 -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (12/3/2020 12:30:19 AM)

If I'm playing against the AI, and say being strategic in my thinking, but not obsessive. How many hours to finish the long campaign?

btd64 -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (12/3/2020 12:42:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: painless42

If I'm playing against the AI, and say being strategic in my thinking, but not obsessive. How many hours to finish the long campaign?

HOURS!! My dear dear boy. It's measured in months and years....GP

painless42 -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (12/3/2020 2:16:46 AM)

LOL, let me re-frame. If I spend an hour a day, would I finish in less time than it took to complete the actual war in the Pacific?

BBfanboy -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (12/3/2020 2:16:46 AM)

quote:

Depends on how much micro-management of all those units you do. Some people will set an air unit to attack an enemy base and leave it like that for a week - risking heavy pilot and aircraft fatigue and higher ops losses. I check every turn and rest them when needed. It takes longer per turn and thus per game, but I have no timeline I have to keep. Playing against a human opponent would raise pressure to complete turns quickly.
btd64 is right about the months and years for a grand campaign.

RSchall08 -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (12/3/2020 2:29:39 AM)

Two weeks ago I bought the boxed set at $113. NOW it's on sale for $16?!? I must say I am pissed off.

GetAssista -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (12/3/2020 3:30:20 AM)

quote:

Answers can vary wildly here. You can play 1 or 4-day turns. You can be obsessive about the number of turns and flip them quickly while not stepping away from the game (it takes a lot of time to get back and recall all the stuff happening), or you can be obsessive about your pilot training and subs (darn time sinks). Watching a turn takes me from 10 to 20 minutes, placing orders - from 10 minutes to infinity, but usually around 20 I'd say. YMMV

Also most of games against AI are abandoned long before the victory screen, when it becomes clear how the win is achieved and only rather boring going through the motions remains. "The win" again depends on how you see it for yourself. My longest AI campaign was almost until 44 since the aim was to capture the entire map as Japan. Some of the Allied campaigns ended quickly (in 42) with the destruction of KB and invasion of Home Islands. But then there are user-made scenarios with much more assets on the AI side, those can play for quite some time.

CaptBeefheart -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (12/3/2020 4:02:21 AM)

I almost always play against the computer. I can get through a campaign game in about 2-3 months of real time. I do two-day turns, no combat animations, lowest possible settings for messages, pay 5% attention to the sub war, pay 5% attention to China, let Japan run free for six months, deal with pilot training about once a month, set-up automated convoys all over with very little maintenance, etc. You can put as much time as you want into it. One reason I have shied away from PBEM is I'm worried I'd spend way too much time on the game.

Cheers,
CB

LargeSlowTarget -> RE: WITP:AE now $16 (12/3/2020 9:55:21 AM)

quote:

LOL, let me re-frame. If I spend an hour a day, would I finish in less time than it took to complete the actual war in the Pacific?

Just watching the turn resulution after the orders phase can take 15-20 minutes when there is a lot of action, even with message delays set to just a second. I have seen surface actions that lasted for what I felt were hours (maybe 5 min in reality).

The orders phase can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 10 hours or more, depending on the level of control you want to exercise.

The first turn is the most time consuming, orders needs to be given to practically all land, air and naval units, plus base construction and - for the Japanese only - industry management (that is if you seek optimal performance - you don't need to do everything on day one, it's a long war after all). For a PBEM, spending 3-4 days on the first turn optimisation is not unusual.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI