RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

RhinoDad -> RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films (1/9/2021 4:51:05 PM)

On island landings as Japanese tended to use gold fillings the marines would smash the face with the but of their rifle in order to collect the gold filled teeth. The gold was then removed with a knife and then traded with those dropping off supplies. An unofficial currency.

With an enemy that was seen as barbaric in the way they fought the war and treated enemy combatants it was easy for allied soldiers to see them as inhuman.

Randy Stead -> RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films (1/9/2021 7:25:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Some US military personnel would carry pliers to remove the gold teeth from the dead Japanese. Others made ashtrays from the skull, some of the bones were carved into knick knacks for family - long bones into letter openers I do believe was one of those things.

I've read accounts like that in history books. Sometimes I regarded such stories as apocryphal, but yeah, I'm sure it happened. I've also read that such souvenir collecting could be dangerous if you were captured by the comrades of the dead looted soldiers. It often did not work out well to be caught wearing the engraved watch of a dead soldier. You may have come across it honestly, but I wouldn't wish to trust my fate to a group of armed men, angry over the death of their pal and they find you with his personal property.

RangerJoe -> RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films (1/9/2021 7:28:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Randy Stead

quote:

Some US military personnel would carry pliers to remove the gold teeth from the dead Japanese. Others made ashtrays from the skull, some of the bones were carved into knick knacks for family - long bones into letter openers I do believe was one of those things.

I've read accounts like that in history books. Sometimes I regarded such stories as apocryphal, but yeah, I'm sure it happened. I've also read that such souvenir collecting could be dangerous if you were captured by the comrades of the dead looted soldiers. It often did not work out well to be caught wearing the engraved watch of a dead soldier. You may have come across it honestly, but I wouldn't wish to trust my fate to a group of armed men, angry over the death of their pal and they find you with his personal property.

Usually, the Japanese were in no position to complain.
[sm=sterb032.gif][sm=fighting0043.gif][sm=fighting0045.gif]

BBfanboy -> RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films (1/9/2021 8:49:02 PM)

quote:

quote:

I have heard of bodies being booby-trapped to get the souvenir hunters.

RhinoDad -> RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films (1/11/2021 4:25:32 AM)

My father was unfortunate to have been closely involved with all major pacific island landings except Iwo and Okinawa, served on YP-518 (not in the game), and I was lucky to have spent much time in my youth with a large number of Marine veterans of the island landings as well as many others, mostly from Pacific war but a few were RAF pilots from Battle of Britain time. Guess was also lucky to have a father as the YP was struck through a fuel tank into the engine room by a 5” shell. Every last one of those closely involved in island landings spoke of the souvenir hunts, human scrimshaw, smashed faces for gold, booby traps (body and others), Japanese faking being dead, fake surrenders, lots of trading, and constantly being attacked by someone who had managed to infiltrate through the lines.

It was also interesting to see the normal Sailor vs Marine service rivalry nonexistent and instead the mutual respect they gave each other, the ones involved in the landings. They often saved the rivalry for those not directly involved. Then it got pretty heated. It was somewhat like a baptism of fire, seemed to be an experience much bigger than disrespect their respective service gave them towards the other service.

Early on I also believed much of what they said to be just a good story. They seemed so unreal, not often what one sees in a book, or it is quite sanitized. However, as I met more and read more I often found myself reading or seeing in a documentary or photo notation a snippet here or there of a particular story that had been told. Even found the YP, now back as a large tuna boat, and was able to see some of the war scars. It was fun as the owner and crew wanted to hear about them, guess it made the boat a little more alive to them.

Was very fortunate to not only get those experiences but my father showed me how to speak to hardened vets in order to get them to open up a wee bit. It was somewhat difficult but could sometimes get them talking to each other or to answer a few questions. Mainly did a lot of listening to them talk to each other. Lots of times though I did have to try to remember the words used and ask my father to translate, so to speak. Was lucky to be able to spend many years with WW2 vets and begin while they were rather young or for a few before they passed in the 1960s. It really helped me read between the lines in books and to get a bit of understanding of their way of thinking, and thinking of the time. Of course lots of original source material they happened to have lying about, that they no longer wanted, was nice as well. Lots of training manuals, plane identification books, etc. Kind of lit a fire of interest in me to later search out publicly available documents made at the time in order to learn more.

It was a wonderful experience and I consider myself lucky for both the opportunity and experience.

Did regret with at least two of them to be too young and to be impressed with things that did not matter much. Unfortunately, both died when I was too young to get much information from. One impressed me most because he really liked hot chocolate and had one every morning, and talked a lot about gardening or plants; another had the same first name as my father. Did not really know who they were or their significance until much later when my father informed me who the "Hot Chocolate bloke", and "the one with the same first name as you" were. Oh the strange things that can impress us as children.

RhinoDad -> RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films (1/11/2021 4:30:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

I have heard of bodies being booby-trapped to get the souvenir hunters.

The Japanese, at least, would sometimes play dead in order that you pass by where you can more easily be ambushed. So when seeing or passing a body one would kick, shoot, or run a bayonet through it to ensure it was dead. Kicking of the body could cause a booby trap to spring. So at least some of the attempt seemed to be directed at troops passing by.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI