Windows 11 is Coming (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

rommel222 -> Windows 11 is Coming (6/25/2021 5:15:07 AM)

Greetings to All,
I got an email at work that Windows 11 is being announced:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11

https://www.cnet.com/news/microsofts-windows-11-reveal-event-all-the-free-upgrades-coming-this-fall/

Ginetto -> RE: Windows 11 is Coming (6/25/2021 7:58:48 AM)

This is serious stuff, especially for the older but very popular games such as Gary Grisby's BTR, WITP-AE and TOAW IV.
Is Matrix Games doing anything pro-active to head off the inevitable anguish of blameless gamers? Such as talking to Microsoft to make sure the new Windows's software is harmless?

wodin -> RE: Windows 11 is Coming (6/25/2021 8:28:46 AM)

Well if things go as per normal this will be a not bother with version of Windows for me. Every other Windows release has been rubbish.

Ginetto -> RE: Windows 11 is Coming (6/25/2021 8:56:46 AM)

I meant for the general community of Matrix Games gamers.
In my opinion, it would be customer-friendly for Matrix Games to reach out to Microsoft to anticipate and correct possible glitches caused by the new version of Windows. We all know that in a few years Microsoft will stop supporting W10, just as it stopped supporting Windows 95, 98, CE, Me, etc.

Ginetto -> RE: Windows 11 is Coming (6/25/2021 9:35:59 AM)

So do I. Look how many older games are still popular.

Zovs -> RE: Windows 11 is Coming (6/25/2021 11:34:10 AM)

I wonder how long the life of support for Windows 10 will last. I am not keen on moving to 11. I am happy with 10.

Lobster -> RE: Windows 11 is Coming (6/25/2021 11:38:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grognerd_INC
I worry a little that by upgrading to this this which has internal support for X-Box it will somehow mess up other games.

There is already an app that works on Window$10 that will run Xbox games. So it's not like it's something new.

Typically some older games have problems with new operation systems. It's always a crap shoot. Get a small hard drive and run your older op system from that. Run the new one on another drive. I likely won't run the new op system on my SSD.

Lobster -> RE: Windows 11 is Coming (6/25/2021 11:56:36 AM)

quote:

The Microsoft statement said 2025 for Win 10 support.

So when WIndow$12 comes out. [:D]

Mobeer -> RE: Windows 11 is Coming (6/25/2021 12:43:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ginetto
This is serious stuff, especially for the older but very popular games such as Gary Grisby's BTR, WITP-AE and TOAW IV....

Old games are probably less significant as sales will have tailed off already, but it would be good to see Matrix pro-active in testing games still on sale. For example "WarPlan Pacific" looks tempting, but will it work if I upgrade Windows?

Aurelian -> RE: Windows 11 is Coming (6/25/2021 12:52:56 PM)

Getting it the day it comes out.
As far as games, well the SSI game Imperialism II runs fine on W10. I expect it will run on W11.

Oh, and: https://winaero.com/windows-11-hardware-requirements-32-bit-windows-is-not-longer-a-thing/

Your computer should meet the following hardware requirements to install Windows 11 and run it properly:

A 64-bit dual-core 1Ghz CPU or better.

4GB of RAM or better.

64GB of storage or better.

A 9-inch display with a minimum 1366x768 resolution.

A motherboard with UEFI, Secure Boot, and Trusted Platform Module 2.0.

A discrete or integrated GPU with DirectX 12 support and WWDM 2.X.

While most of those specs look similar to Windows 10, there is one major change in Windows 11 hardware requirements. Starting with Windows 11, Microsoft will no longer offer 32-bit Windows installations. Windows 11 will now come only in 64-bit flavor, although the system will maintain compatibility with 32-bit apps. Another noticeable change is that Windows 11 now requires a 9-inch display or larger and a 64GB of storage.

MrsWargamer -> RE: Windows 11 is Coming (6/25/2021 4:02:44 PM)

Windows, insert meaningless number now.

Begin advertising hype, that looks like the advertising hype of the last version.

Make numerous claims, and just expect the masses won't dispute anything at all.

Behave like the hype is serious.

Predictable reactions ensue. It's not relevant whether you are willing or not, as MS is doing this either way. Your compliance is not necessary. Your needs never mattered.

In the usual scheme of things, everything will be chaos. And there will be little evidence this is even worth it, unless you have stocks in the company.

Meanwhile, Bunny has stopped getting rid of functioning hardware.
I have the main game system, the main internet system, and one in the storage room that hasn't even been turned on recently.
One has 7 and one has 10. They all work fine. The key detail if everything is back up several times on several devices, and none of the software really needs internet connection.

In the end, I really only buy into the latest OS when I actually buy a new computer. I'm not planning to do that any time soon. I might die before any of my computers do.

Windows 11? I doubt I will give a damn. Ask me in 10 years.

Lobster -> RE: Windows 11 is Coming (6/25/2021 5:11:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

Begin advertising hype, that looks like the advertising hype of the last version.

In other words advertise it like everyone advertises everything else on the planet. Business as usual.

MrRoadrunner -> RE: Windows 11 is Coming (6/25/2021 5:52:21 PM)

A tempest in a tea pot?

RR

Aurelian -> RE: Windows 11 is Coming (6/25/2021 5:53:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

quote:

In other words advertise it like everyone advertises everything else on the planet. Business as usual.

This. And it has a great price point.

MrsWargamer -> RE: Windows 11 is Coming (6/25/2021 6:33:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

quote:

Yeah, sort of. I mean, some will buy anything, and some are more discerning. Some are fanboys, and some are more discerning.
Some just want something basic and functional and nothing excessive like Valor and Victory, and others want something that is almost too complicated to have been adequately tested, like War in the East2.

I'm likely not going to need to wonder about Windows 11, because I can't see needing a new OS until Windows 12.
Oh there will be a Windows 12. I'm guessing there won't be a 13 though. Even MS isn't that bold. They'll go right to 14.

Aurelian -> RE: Windows 11 is Coming (6/25/2021 8:48:58 PM)

quote:

I'm not sure if you know but Win 11 will be distributed later this year as a free upgrade.

Like I said, a great price point [:D]

MrsWargamer -> RE: Windows 11 is Coming (6/25/2021 9:29:25 PM)

quote:

I'm not sure if you know but Win 11 will be distributed later this year as a free upgrade.

Well, free is a hard sell :)

If they plan to 'give' it to me, I'll at least try it. If my machine even cares.

wodin -> RE: Windows 11 is Coming (6/25/2021 11:11:26 PM)

you need a TPM card..cheap to buy

wodin -> RE: Windows 11 is Coming (6/26/2021 12:26:19 AM)

Will see what the reaction is like, if good will by a TPM and get 11 free.

Lobster -> RE: Windows 11 is Coming (6/26/2021 3:43:30 AM)

Most people don't have any need for it. Seems to me it's mainly for businesses and companies who distribute digital products to ensure their material isn't pirated. In other words it seems like something big business asked for.

goodwoodrw -> RE: Windows 11 is Coming (6/26/2021 7:16:11 AM)

I'm a dinosaur still running Win 7

ncc1701e -> RE: Windows 11 is Coming (6/26/2021 7:59:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ginetto

This is serious stuff, especially for the older but very popular games such as Gary Grisby's BTR, WITP-AE and TOAW IV.
Is Matrix Games doing anything pro-active to head off the inevitable anguish of blameless gamers? Such as talking to Microsoft to make sure the new Windows's software is harmless?

You are right. Compatibility of old engines with Windows 11 will be to monitor closely.
I think there is a beta already available to start testing.

But, what if TOAW IV or WITP-AE don't work anymore? [X(]

Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI