(Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815

HordesOfSerbs -> (9/11/2003 11:25:18 AM)

Not sure if I got this right, but it reminds me of the script I wrote that 'rolled the dice' and mailed the results to everyone. We played PBEM 3R during our uni days and I wanted something to eliminate cheating.

Needless to say it was tedious to check every freakin' roll. Much better just to trust everyone. But - it would always remain suspicious if there is a huge battle with unfavourable odds (I fondly remember one Axis ride on fully stacked Gibraltar - successful Spanish Gambit that ultimately led to full Nazi domination of Europe).

Anyway, the cheating problem still remains with modern integrated games - playing (and saving intermittently, where possible) the critical turn ad infinitum until you've got the best results and was discussed elsewhere on this forum.

So, it is an interesting way to tackle the issue. I believe there are more sophisticated dice servers nowadays on the Net (and what stops Matrix providing one). If the programmed EiA battle resolution mechanics still depends on dice roll resuls, it is relatively simple to link it up and get the results back that way. It will introduce delay (which will not be that significant for PBEM game, in my opinion) and make the game dependable on external service that may go down (which is a bit more serious).

Again, it is quite an interesting thing for developer to play with, pity that Matrix is in testing mode and code is likely frozen for architectural changes like this. For a a gamer... well, I couldn't care less ;)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI