Where are the old guards? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Klinkenhoffen -> Where are the old guards? (2/24/2004 10:04:08 AM)

Hello, I take a few months off posting due to work and alot of the old names seem to have gone.

Plenty of new names, hello to you all.

Did I miss a revolt or is everyone just busy?

Klink

(Klink, I made a minor correction to your spelling--it was buggin' me)

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> RE: Were are the old guards? (2/24/2004 4:04:58 PM)

To answer your question as directly as possible.

The old guard would be here, in as much as this is what I would call "the old guard".

harlekwin -> RE: Were are the old guards? (2/24/2004 4:06:35 PM)

That's funny....I'd say plenty of "old hands" are right here right now....

Alby -> RE: Were are the old guards? (2/24/2004 4:58:20 PM)

Quit callin me OLD!![:D]

BulletMagnet -> RE: Were are the old guards? (2/24/2004 5:34:13 PM)

Anybody who uses a KISS picture is not OLD.Im 34 im not old,just faded.[8D][:-]

tracer -> RE: Were are the old guards? (2/24/2004 6:28:31 PM)

K,
I think the high number of MIA's you're seeing could be a lingering effect of the recent hacker attack that knocked this forum out for several days.
I've noticed a few 'old guard' drifting back every day...like you!
[sm=00000280.gif]

rbrunsman -> RE: Were are the old guards? (2/24/2004 6:43:58 PM)

Also, since the "upgrade" Matrix put on the Forum, it takes so long to post or read anything that I don't post much unless I really want to say something.

Jim1954 -> RE: Were are the old guards? (2/24/2004 6:49:00 PM)

It's odd. For me, these pages are now flowing like they used to a year ago. The last upgrade before the The Great Crash of '04 slowed them down to a pitiful pace for me.

IBTyrone -> RE: Were are the old guards? (2/24/2004 8:28:57 PM)

I've found the same thing myself. The forums are much quicker to load on my machine since the new software was installed after the hacker attack. The only thing I've found that takes longer is that I have to go into each sub-forum and mark it as read individually as opposed to doing it at the main Steel Panthers forum level. It's worth the tradeoff.

Alby -> RE: Were are the old guards? (2/24/2004 8:46:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BulletMagnet

Anybody who uses a KISS picture is not OLD.Im 34 im not old,just faded.[8D][:-]

Yes Im faded too...GRAY!!![:D]
LOL

Gary Tatro -> RE: Were are the old guards? (2/24/2004 8:54:01 PM)

Oh I am still, here afraid to post because everyone seems so touchy. [:-][:D][:-]

Wild Bill -> RE: Were are the old guards? (2/24/2004 8:55:48 PM)

I'm still here Klink. I was here when the forum was first opened. I think that was in 1999. I'm still here, just a little wiser and quieter (i left out "older"). True, some have moved on. But such is life. Folks do move along.

By the way, good to have you back with us.

WB

tracer -> RE: Were are the old guards? (2/24/2004 11:30:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim1954

It's odd. For me, these pages are now flowing like they used to a year ago. The last upgrade before the The Great Crash of '04 slowed them down to a pitiful pace for me.

Ditto...now they load like lightning for me too.

Figured I better say something in case they're 'taking a vote' to upgrade again. [sm=00000289.gif]

tracer -> RE: Were are the old guards? (2/24/2004 11:34:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Klinkenhoffen

Hello, I take a few months off posting due to work and alot of the old names seem to have gone.

Klink

I remember now: you were moving to the 'other coast', and your computer was packed away.

...I guess it finally arrived. [:D]

Belisarius -> RE: Were are the old guards? (2/25/2004 12:24:14 AM)

Hi Klink,

We're here, but less so than you're used to since the lingering effects of the hacker attack isn't over yet (like we're still missing 3 months worth of posts and threads).

But we gradually start to drop by again, a little more for every day. [:)]

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> RE: Were are the old guards? (2/25/2004 12:25:21 AM)

Part of the forum traffic and attendance is likely confidence oriented.

I have seen the exact same effect at Wargamer.

You pour your heart into a post, and next week find it no longer exists.

I wonder how many people have wandered off just because they don't wish to post only to find the post is now gone.

We had some great traffic during the 8.0 release and the finishing of MC-SE, and its all gone. And trust me, if I find the hacker, I DO plan on hurting him....a lot.

I don't think people have "quit" Matrix games though. Why would we "want" to?

Matrix Games has never ever ever done anything TO me, only FOR me.

But just as a lot of the thrill has gone at Wargamer, and has not been easy restoring, so to I think has a lot of the fire been quenched here.

My solution, give me Combat Leader :)
(yeah it's my new pet project to be a constant badger about that hehe).

I doubt Matrix Games will release any game that will be more fundementally more invigorating than to get that one out to us. It's not about making a strong economic return, so much as making a strong confidence return.

When I think of Matrix Games, I do NOT think of the other games it has underway. Matrix Games to me is Steel Panthers, and it's successor Combat Leader. All the other games, are just "other games".

rich12545 -> RE: Were are the old guards? (2/25/2004 1:05:06 AM)

Les, I find it interesting that you don't mind badgering Matrix about a game that I'm sure they are working on as fast as they can but complain when I want a different game finished after two years and, so far as I can tell, is being ignored.

Personally I don't care if Combat Leader ever comes out. I don't plan on buying it or playing it. I'm happy with spwaw and there is enough in that game to keep me busy for the rest of my life. I'm getting up there, you see. I support the game and Matrix by buying the Mega campaigns.

But don't worry I won't hassle you for badgering Matrix about CL.

KG Erwin -> RE: Were are the old guards? (2/25/2004 1:29:12 AM)

That was a good post, Les. Matrix did take a big hit with the hack attack, and after I signed on as a mod with the SPWaW Depot, I wondered whether this place would ever recover. Now, after thinking about it, and having written to David about this forum and my participation in it as a temporary mod while the 8.2 patch is being worked on, I realized that this is the "mother ship". Without it, all the related sites would become irrelevant.
Above all, without the fans' support, the company would wither on the vine like so many other wargame companies that didn't rely on the input of the gamers to give them the product they want.
Now, after all of the opportunities I've been given, and the friends I've made through this community, and the enjoyment I've gotten through the games, when David asked me to stay on as a permanent mod, how could I say no?
Right now is when our community needs the support of everyone, especially the old guard, the most.
One point I'll disagree with you on, Les. I'm not worried any my ideas getting lost. I can always restate them, or try to come up with better ones. What I'm concerned with is keeping this community as a going concern, and on solid ground.
Forgive me for editoralizing and/or preaching. I'm here because I love the games, the company of you guys, and the promise of better things to come. I'm not Matrix, and even David isn't Matrix. We ALL are part of Matrix, the old guard and the newer members. It's up to us, the community, to keep it alive and make it better.
That's all for now. Amen, shalom, finis, and have a drink on me.
[sm=00000436.gif]

BulletMagnet -> RE: Were are the old guards? (2/25/2004 2:28:37 AM)

Wow Kg that was an even nicer post.Things will calm down.I think what the forum needs is better content not filler.Talking a million times about squad leader(you know who you are) or how it was better in version x.00 dosnt really add to anything.So i challenge everyone hear to step it up a notch.Time to cowboy the hell up.Let raise the bar and seperate ourselves from the crap forums out there.Btw I am not quite a old guard but i have been around for awhile under different names.

Bring it.

p.s. when is someone going to show me how to play online so i can whip jess's ass once and for all!!!![:'(]

KG Erwin -> RE: Were are the old guards? (2/25/2004 3:31:56 AM)

Bulletmagnet, you mean, Jess the M4 Lover? He's on hiatus right now,so you'll have to wait. For more info, join the forum at http://spwaw.com

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> RE: Were are the old guards? (2/25/2004 4:00:53 AM)

Rich I am only "badgering" out of good natured intent to show where my true interest lies.

I don't expect you to stop wanting your own specific request to be met. But I do wonder if it has any real merit to you.

I too agree, if Combat Leader never actually shows up, I will have been playing Steel Panthers the entire time. And I have all 4 Megas, and basically it is only the megas I play or occasionally a scenario. I have no use for any of the other functions Steel Panthers offers. I don't think Battle or Long Campaigns have any actual worth (my opinion).

I have played too many Battles that ended up looking like my equally waste of time DYO games of ASL (which I also won't indulge anymore).

And my last Long Campaign ended with 43 decisive wins and a few draws. After the first 5 battles, it became a dull boring stomp the AI yet again futile effort to actually have real fun.
I mean I was playing some battles, where I set up my armour, my AT screen, and just didn't bother to invite the infantry to participate if I was the defender. My infantry units often spent the battle in the rear playing poker. On the attack, I usually had to get the infantry to at least show up, but they rarely had to work long. It was almost impossible to get excited in some battles.
What was annoying, was nothing I did, actually affected the historical outcome. Sterling successes, never getting defeated, then the war ends and Germany loses. Hardly what I call thrilling.

The MCs are cool, because I have no control over my force, I am given what was there, and told this is the objective, now succeed. And when I succeed there is a perk, and when I fail there is a repercussion. I miss each unit that is lost.
And I can't really say I know, but the AI in the MCs doesn't appear to be a moron. I don't end up fighting quantities of a single vehicle type, that in real life didn't even exist.

Nothing ever turned me off more, than in the attack in Poland, meeting greater sums of Polish armour, than I had. Forgive me, but my ability to suspend disbelief does not extend that far :)

KG Erwin -> RE: Were are the old guards? (2/25/2004 4:30:03 AM)

Les, you're suffering from "campaign burnout", and this is the very reason I do NOT play as the Germans in a long campaign in SPWaW.
A similar feeling is engendered in a different game I play--the submarine sim "Silent Hunter II"--now, this game has been helped by many user-created mods to improve realism and gameplay, but in a long campaign, the result is the same--success is only measured by whether you survive when the war ends. Germany loses--there are no what-if's or fantasy outcomes. As in the U-Boat War, consider yourself successful if you survive--historically, that's what it came down to. What more could you expect? Indeed, in a tactical-level game, for any nation represented, the ultimate goal is still surviving when it's all over. That in itself is a victory.
To quote an old saying, in SPWaW "The battle is the thing".

Bernie -> RE: Were are the old guards? (2/25/2004 4:40:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

...I realized that this is the "mother ship". Without it, all the related sites would become irrelevant.

I agree with your analogy Glenn, in fact I'll take it further and call these forums the "Motherland" or "Fatherland" of the SP:WaW community. However, I don't think that if these forums ended tomorrow that event would render all other related sites irrelevant. I feel that any site that supports SP:WaW, be it Matrix, the Depot, Warfare HQ, whichever gains relevancy from the site's relationship to the game. SP:WaW is here to stay. There are far too many copies of it out in the ether, and far too many fans, for it to disappear. And as long as SP:WaW is around, sites that support it will be relevant.

Bernie -> RE: Where are the old guards? (2/25/2004 4:46:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Klinkenhoffen

Klink

(Klink, I made a minor correction to your spelling--it was buggin' me)

Hey Klink...Welcome back! How'd your move go?

rich12545 -> RE: Where are the old guards? (2/25/2004 7:55:33 AM)

Rich I am only "badgering" out of good natured intent to show where my true interest lies.
I don't expect you to stop wanting your own specific request to be met. But I do wonder if it has any real merit to you.

Les, here's what I don't understand. I make a legitimate request, to have a game finished. It's been a long time, it's been promised and then ignored. And for making this simple request I get hassled by you and a few others. Yes, it has real merit to me or I wouldn't be spending my time on it. I'd just forget it. There are too many other things to do, like playing. This thng takes up way too much time. And I'm still waiting for Brent to chime in with another of his "promises" this time around. I'm still wondering why more people don't hassle him about this? Is he some sort of god? Is he above keeping his word? What is his problem, really? Well, frankly, I feel enough is enough. Maybe he'll surprise everyone with the update in the next few days. Shock of the year. I hope so. I'm really tired of this but I'm even more tired of his empty promises.

Like I said, I've never played a campaign. For more than 20 years playing computer wargames I typically had more than 20 that I'd play at a time. So I never really played any one a lot. Recently I pared this down to just a few - Go (turbogo), spwaw, harpoon 2002 gold and toaw cw. I've been lately playing spwaw more than any of the others trying to improve my skills and get into playing campaigns. I'd really like mclv to be complete by the time I get to it. But I'm not holding my breath.

Klinkenhoffen -> Good to see you all. (2/25/2004 9:58:47 AM)

Its good to see that it was just my imagination.

Thanks KG Erwin. Spelling and grammer has never been a strong point.

Yes the move went well. Now on the other side of Australia( the better side by the way) and just about checked out at my new airport. I've got a few games underway so Im happy.

To Les the Sarge, a special thanks to you as you have rekindled my interest in Advanced Squad Leader after 10 odd years away from. I have just started playing again with a friend here in Perth. We have been wargamming off and on for twenty odd years.

Good to see that everyone is well.

Klink

VikingNo2 -> RE: Good to see you all. (2/25/2004 8:21:06 PM)

Hi do I qualify as "old guard" ?

Glad to here your move went well, when you ready to tangle again let me know, it seems like time zones have me playing with you guys down under and the Swedish lately[8D]

Voriax -> RE: Good to see you all. (2/25/2004 8:57:46 PM)

20.5.2000 might qualify as 'local old guardsman' However not too old as WB's mines haven't caused me a heart attack (yet) ;)

Voriax

VikingNo2 -> RE: Good to see you all. (2/25/2004 8:59:23 PM)

All right Local Old Guard it is[8D][:D]

Mr Voriax have we fought ?

Voriax -> RE: Good to see you all. (2/25/2004 9:12:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: VikingNo2

Mr Voriax have we fought ?

Only verbally perhaps [sm=00000054.gif]

Voriax

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI