RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

CCB -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/12/2004 5:12:36 PM)

Does anyone know if To Hell and Back has been released on DVD?

In answer to the original question to this thread: I bought The Day the Earth Stood Still on DVD just this morning. [8D]

Von Rom -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/12/2004 6:08:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mavraam

quote:

I find most of the programs on TV are worthless anyway, so having a lot of backups (in the form of movies and documentaries) sure helps.

I used to love Line of Fire and The Job and Family Guy (what beautiful, sick twisted humor)
but they all got pulled because they were too good.
[:)]

I noticed that "Crossfire" on CNN was cut from 1 hr down to 30 minutes. It was one of the few shows that actually debated the issues and took a critical look at the news and political figures of the day.

Cap Mandrake -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/12/2004 6:10:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Didz

Here's my list (in no particular order):

• Sharpe - The Complete Series
  • Band of Brothers
  • The Dam Busters
  • In Which We Serve
  • Hornblower - The Complete Series
  • All Quiet on the Western Front
  • Zulu
  • Zulu Dawn
  • The Red Badge of Courage
  • Sanjuro
  • Ran
  • Seven Samurai
  • Gettysburg
  • Master & Commander
  • Das Boot

Next two on the list are probably going to be Troy and Alexander the Great.

Would really love to get my hand on a DVD copy of the epic Russian made version of War and Peace.

Hold on there...where is Cockleshell Heroes ?

Von Rom -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/12/2004 6:10:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drex

I would like to get Kurosawa's "Ran". The pure beauty of his photography and the samurai battles are works of art.

I've never seen the movie. I'll have to check it out [:)]

Von Rom -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/12/2004 6:15:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CCB

Does anyone know if To Hell and Back has been released on DVD?

In answer to the original question to this thread: I bought The Day the Earth Stood Still on DVD just this morning. [8D]

As far as I know To Hell and Back was just released last month on DVD.

And The Day the Earth Stood Still was an excellent movie.

Von Rom -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/12/2004 6:57:58 PM)

Well, well, well. . .

I continue to be surprised by Hollywood [:)]

Filming will start soon on the epic movie "Hannibal" with Vin Diesel in the staring role.

This movie is based upon the life of the Carthaginian general, Hannibal Barca, who in the third century B.C. (218 B.C., specifically) famously led an army of elephants through the Alps in an attempt to attack Rome. More specifically, this movie is being adapted from the novel, "Hannibal," by Ross Leckie about Hannibal.

When his father is killed by the Romans, Hannibal (Diesel), a young man from the ruling clans of the city of Carthage on the Mediterranean shore of North Africa, makes an oath of vengeance against Rome. Dedicating his life to fulfilling that challenge, Hannibal becomes a general by the time he's in his mid-20s, and with an army of 100,000 committed to his goal, he sets out to bring Rome down, first by conquering Spain, and then by setting loose a surprise (and famous) attack on Italy by way of the Alps, with an array of forces that included war-trained elephants. This movie shows how far a son can be willing to go to avenge the death of his father.

LOS ANGELES -- While making the promotional rounds for his extreme sport action picture XXX, actor Vin Diesel took a moment to talk about his next film role, as famed Carthaginian general Hannibal in the film project of the same name.

“He’s a character I’ve always wanted to play, and not unlike how Mel Gibson wanted to play the Wallace character in Braveheart,” Diesel enthusiastically explains. “He redefined war strategies. He was for the 3rd century B.C. -- for that whole era -- he was the classic underdog. He was the only guy who thought of attacking Rome. And he did it in a shrewd way.”

“I can go on for hours talking about how fascinating he is,” adds Diesel about the legendary general who used elephants to cross the Alps in a bid to bring down the Roman Empire. The red-hot actor will begin shooting the planned epic in the spring of 2003.

Hannibal is based Ross Leckie’s 1996 fictional autobiography that follows Hannibal from his boyhood, to his assaults on Rome, and finally his death on the Greek island of Bithynia. The novel is being adapted for the screen by David (Gladiator) Franzoni.

Looks like there will be lots of historical epics hitting the theatres this fall and next year [:D]

Von Rom -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/16/2004 8:58:47 AM)

There was a special at A & B Sound: buy two DVDs for the price of one, so out of the choices provided, I picked up "The Great Escape" and "Rocky" (the original).

I must say that "Rocky" still holds up well after all these years. The movie was made for a few hundred thousand dollars; most of the actors were unknown; and there was no computer animation or major violence.

The entire movie rested on the script and the characters (imagine that) - heheh

I also noticed that the movie has a great sense of place and time: cold, dreary exteriors in some run-down neighbourhood in some off-beat section of Philadelphia. . .

Included on the DVD is a 28 minute discussion of the movie by Sylvester Stallone. It is worth seeing. Even today, you can tell that Rocky is his favourite character: the down-and-out loser who is given a once-in-a-life-time shot at the big time.

Still a great film. . .

DerekP -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/16/2004 2:47:50 PM)

quote:

Here's my list (in no particular order):

• Sharpe - The Complete Series
  • Band of Brothers
  • The Dam Busters
  • In Which We Serve
  • Hornblower - The Complete Series
  • All Quiet on the Western Front
  • Zulu
  • Zulu Dawn
  • The Red Badge of Courage
  • Sanjuro
  • Ran
  • Seven Samurai
  • Gettysburg
  • Master & Commander
  • Das Boot

Next two on the list are probably going to be Troy and Alexander the Great.

Would really love to get my hand on a DVD copy of the epic Russian made version of War and Peace.

Wot?

No Alexandr Nevsky?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/630513104X/qid=1087386019/sr=1-15/ref=sr_1_15/002-6806271-9307256?v=glance&s=dvd

In fact half the stuff Eisenstein did would be on my list (as well as the complete Babylon 5 )

KG Erwin -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/19/2004 2:50:48 AM)

quote:

Didz, my friend, I got Sergei Bondarchuk's film set from the public library today. It is five DVDs, one of which is a background and "making of" bonus disc. I've never seen this, and I have a three-day weekend in which to soak it all in. The sections that Soviet censors previously excised have all been restored.

I will tell you that I've seen "Alexander Nevsky", and Russian film-makers know how to make an epic production.

Quickly, the packaging of this is magnificent, with bonus materials on every DVD, and the movie is subtitled in FOURTEEN different languages.

Disc one is "Andrei Bolkonsky, parts 1 & 2"
Disc two is "Natasha Rostova"
Disc three is "1812"
Disc four is "Pierre Bezukhov"
Disc five is additional bonus material

Total running time is well over six hours.

Drex -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/19/2004 3:05:58 AM)

Its time for a remake of the "300 Spartans". They've done "Troy" and the "Alamo" numerous times in the movies and TV so why not this famous "Last Stand"? I would like to see "40 Days of Musa Dagh" done as a famous defense.

Drex -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/19/2004 3:10:12 AM)

I am facinated with the character of Hannibal. It is time for a good biography to be filmed and perhaps one of Scipio Africanus. Yoiu really can't do Hannibal without addressing his conquerer.

Von Rom -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/19/2004 5:59:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

quote:

Didz, my friend, I got Sergei Bondarchuk's film set from the public library today. It is five DVDs, one of which is a background and "making of" bonus disc. I've never seen this, and I have a three-day weekend in which to soak it all in. The sections that Soviet censors previously excised have all been restored.

I will tell you that I've seen "Alexander Nevsky", and Russian film-makers know how to make an epic production.

Quickly, the packaging of this is magnificent, with bonus materials on every DVD, and the movie is subtitled in FOURTEEN different languages.

Disc three is "1812"

Hmmm, I may have to visit the local library.

Hollywood did one called "War and Peace" (about 3 hours) in 1956 with Henry Fonda. It's now on DVD. It doesn't quite compare. However, there are still some excellent battle scenes [:)]

Von Rom -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/19/2004 6:04:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drex

I am facinated with the character of Hannibal. It is time for a good biography to be filmed and perhaps one of Scipio Africanus. Yoiu really can't do Hannibal without addressing his conquerer.

I have also thought of something like this as well.

The movie could approach both lives: Hannibal and Scipio Africanus.

Follow both in parallel with the ultimate showdown at Zama. In real life both leaders even met face-to-face before the battle.

It could have been done like in the past: Crassus vs Spartacus (in Sparatcus); Longshanks vs Wallace (in Braveheart); etc. . .

Of all the actors available today, who would play them?

Russell Crowe (Hannibal) vs Mel Gibson (Scipio Africanus)?

Williamb -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/26/2004 2:11:33 AM)

yeah but where is RAT PATROL ?

(1960's War TV Show)

[image]http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/forceddownload.asp?file=0;639237[/image]

kev_uk -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/26/2004 2:27:58 AM)

Does anyone remember a film about a crashed US bomber in the desert (WW2), and the crew were all talking about their escape, but they were in fact, dead? They were ghosts. I cannot for the life of me remember that film, but it made an impression on me at the time. Would really like to see that again.

Cheers

Williamb -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/26/2004 2:34:47 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: kev_uk

Does anyone remember a film about a crashed US bomber in the desert (WW2), and the crew were all talking about their escape, but they were in fact, dead? They were ghosts. I cannot for the life of me remember that film, but it made an impression on me at the time. Would really like to see that again.

Cheers

Hmm was asked about this Movie before. Was a made for TV movie from 1970 called "Soul Survivor"

here is info..

Plot Summary for
Sole Survivor (1970) (TV)
A B-25 bomber is discovered in the middle of the Libian desert and an Air Force investigation team is called in to examine it. The team quickly discovers that it has not been touched since crashing a quarter century earlier. They also discover the plane's navigator survived and is now an Air Force general. The problem? He said the plane went down in the mediterrainian after the captain ordered the crew to bail out. This story has an interesting supernatural twist.

Complete credited cast:
Vince Edwards .... Maj. Michael Devlin
Richard Basehart .... Brig. Gen. Russell Hamner
William Shatner .... Lt. Col. Josef Gronke
Lou Antonio .... Tony
Lawrence P. Casey .... Gant
Dennis Cooney .... Brandy
Brad David .... Elmo
Patrick Wayne .... Mac
Alan Caillou .... Corey
Timur Bashtu .... Beddo
Noah Keen .... Maj. Gen. Schurm
Ian Abercrombie .... British co-pilot
David Cannon .... Capt. Patrick
John Winston .... British pilot

kev_uk -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/26/2004 4:13:55 AM)

yeah, that was the one! It was pretty haunting, and I must have seen this when I was around 11/12yo. Now I am looking for someone who has it!
Thanks for the memory jogging.
Cheers
Kevin

Sarge -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/26/2004 4:40:02 AM)

Any of ya ever get the chance to see this one, I seen it some back years back. I don't know if its one of my must have movie's but from what I remember its a pretty good movie and not the usual Hollywood WWII war film.

[image]local://upfiles/8678/Tr492051679.jpg[/image]

Williamb -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/26/2004 6:12:08 AM)

Well I was lucky I saw Soul Survivor not more than 4 years ago on the USA TV network here in the USA.

Here is a few lesser know moves that others might like. If you liked 300 Spartans (which i did) these are more of the same.

THE LONG SHIPS
(1963)
[image]http://www.notrecinema.com/images/films/longships_1.jpg[/image]

Some of the acting is hammy, and some of the dialogue deliberately corny, but The Long Ships is the type of adventure film you see as a kid and never forget. If, like me, you bother to hunt it down in video after all these years, you'll find it still has scenes which pack a powerful punch.
The entire film revolves around the search for "The Mother of Voices," a legendary bell forged of solid gold and "as tall as three tall men." Suffice it to say that the people searching for it aren't interested in its musical value. Richard Widmark is the roguish son of a Viking thane, who seeks the bell to rescue his father from financial ruin. While caught in a maelstrom which eventually claimed his ship and crew, Widmark had heard the bell tolling off in the distance. As such, he's the only person alive who knows the bell really exists, and who has an idea of its whereabouts. By scrounging up a crew of believers and stealing his king's funeral ship under the cover of darkness, he sets out in pursuit of it once more.

Complicating matters is Sydney Poitier, king of the Moors in Africa. He too, has heard the legend of a giant bell of solid gold, and lusts after it with an obsession. When Widmark's ship gets wrecked on the African coast, the Vikings are taken captive by Poitier's soldiers. In exchange for their freedom, Widmark and his men agree to bring Poitier the bell.

Some of the scenes which make this film memorable:

1. When the Vikings wash ashore on the African coast, they are soon attacked by the Moorish army on horseback. Like true Norsemen, they hold their ground stubbornly, and the Moors beat a hasty retreat. But the retreat is only temporary, and when the second wave of the attack comes, we're treated to an awe-inspiring sight. The entire horizon is filled with Moorish soldiers on horseback rapidly advancing from the distance, the sun flashing off their shields up and down the line as they furiously charge forward. Widmark and his men wisely choose to surrender.

Richard Widmark, Sidney Poitier, Russ Tamblyn, Oscar Homolka, G. Jackson, Edward Judd, Lionel Jeffries, Colin Blakely

Black Shield of Falworth, The (1954)

[image]http://www.hollywoodteenmovies.com/TheBlackShieldOfFalworthPoster.jpg[/image]

In the days of King Henry IV, stalwart young Myles and his sister Meg have been raised as peasants, without any knowledge of who their father really was. But one day they journey to Macworth castle. There Myles falls in love with the Mackworth's daughter Anne, makes friends and enemies, and learns to be a knight so that, through the planning of Mackworth and his friend, Prince Hal, Myles can regain his true birthright from the evil Albon, and bear the black shield of Falworth.

Cast overview, first billed only:
Tony Curtis .... Myles Falworth
Janet Leigh .... Lady Anne
David Farrar .... Gilbert Blunt, Earl of Alban
Barbara Rush .... Meg Falworth
Herbert Marshall .... William, Earl of Mackworth
Torin Thatcher .... Sir James

[image]http://www.vincentprice.homestead.com/files/boxes/toweroflondon.jpg[/image]

Tower of London 1939

Basil Rathbone and Boris Karloff star in this chilling 15th Century melodrama based on the life of Richard III. Sixth in line to the throne, Richard (Rathbone) is an ambitious man who, with the aid of Mord (Karlof) his executioner friend, treachously disposes of the five who stand between him and the crown. Mercilessly this cold-hearted pair touture and kill the heirs in the infamous Tower

Not for the faint of heart, Tower of London grimly recounts the deed that earned Richard III his place as the most despised monarch in English History and establised the Tower as the most dreaded buildng in the world.

TOWER OF LONDON Starring BASIL RATHBONE

With BORIS KARLOFF - BARBARA O'NEIL - IAN HUNTER
VINCENT PRICE - NAN GREY - JOHN SUTTON
LEO G. CARROL - MILES MANDER
Screenplay by ROBERT N. LEE
Produced and Directed by ROWLAND V. LEE

Williamb -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/26/2004 6:21:58 AM)

Took me a little while to find picture from Soul survivor.

[image]http://www.mtceuropavideo.com/SoleSurvivor.jpg[/image]

Didz -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/26/2004 12:13:30 PM)

quote:

quote:

Disc three is "1812"

quote:

Sergei Bondarchuk's

You have prompted me to actually do something to aquire this film.

Unfortunately, I've uncovered a bit of a conundrum.

There is a four disk set by Ruscico for sale on Amazon here http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000714B0/brachmancom-20/702-2902803-4850428?dev-t=D2Y5TUCCVJ7DGE which doesn't sound like the full package you watched and also gets a bad review . Stating that:

"In plain english, the picture quality is fine in a still shot, but during camera pans and quick movement in a shot there are very noticeable jagged edges to the picture (the picture quality is similar to the bonus material on your average DVD). This problem is very apparent when this film is viewed on a big screen TV.

This defeciency coupled with the subtitles and the length of the film can result in quite a headache for the viewer. "

Also according to this site there are multiple versions of the film on the market and "Ruscico has issued their DVD of Sergei Bondarchuk’s 1967 film of Tolstoy’s War and Peace. The DVD’s 403 minute length is probably less than an hour longer than the original U.S. cut, and there have always been rumors of much longer versions, such as a Soviet premiere at 507 minutes. More than one American reference source, Halliwell’s 2003 Film and Video Guide among them, cite the 507-minute cut. Ruscico, however, avers that this version is the longest extant, which is shorter yet than the 431 minutes they initially promised" http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/g/a/gathomas/www/wpreview1.htm

Which suggests the Ruscico DVD's are missing at least 30 minutes of the film and possibly over an hour.

Do you have any more information of the version you watched as you stated it had 5 disks?

Von Rom -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/26/2004 5:49:38 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Disc three is "1812"

quote:

Sergei Bondarchuk's

You have prompted me to actually do something to aquire this film.

Unfortunately, I've uncovered a bit of a conundrum.

There is a four disk set by Ruscico for sale on Amazon here http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000714B0/brachmancom-20/702-2902803-4850428?dev-t=D2Y5TUCCVJ7DGE which doesn't sound like the full package you watched and also gets a bad review . Stating that:

"In plain english, the picture quality is fine in a still shot, but during camera pans and quick movement in a shot there are very noticeable jagged edges to the picture (the picture quality is similar to the bonus material on your average DVD). This problem is very apparent when this film is viewed on a big screen TV.

This defeciency coupled with the subtitles and the length of the film can result in quite a headache for the viewer. "

Also according to this site there are multiple versions of the film on the market and "Ruscico has issued their DVD of Sergei Bondarchuk’s 1967 film of Tolstoy’s War and Peace. The DVD’s 403 minute length is probably less than an hour longer than the original U.S. cut, and there have always been rumors of much longer versions, such as a Soviet premiere at 507 minutes. More than one American reference source, Halliwell’s 2003 Film and Video Guide among them, cite the 507-minute cut. Ruscico, however, avers that this version is the longest extant, which is shorter yet than the 431 minutes they initially promised" http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/g/a/gathomas/www/wpreview1.htm

Which suggests the Ruscico DVD's are missing at least 30 minutes of the film and possibly over an hour.

Do you have any more information of the version you watched as you stated it had 5 disks?

Here is a website that might help explain the different versions a bit better:

http://www.moviecitygeek.com/DVD/2003/030602_pratt.html

CCB -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/26/2004 5:59:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: William Amos

yeah but where is RAT PATROL ?

(1960's War TV Show)

[image]http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/forceddownload.asp?file=0;639237[/image]

I loved that show. But wasn't the British guy a second season or mid-season replacement? I thought when the series started it was four Americans.

CCB -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/26/2004 6:06:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: kev_uk

Cheers

I've seen that one too. Where the crew is playing baseball around the wrecked plane.

Its based on a real incident - a crashed B-24 named The Lady Be Good.

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/history/wwii/lbg.htm

CCB -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/26/2004 6:08:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

Any of ya ever get the chance to see this one, I seen it some back years back. I don't know if its one of my must have movie's but from what I remember its a pretty good movie and not the usual Hollywood WWII war film.

[image]local://upfiles/8678/Tr492051679.jpg[/image]

I liked where they sewed all those stripes on that guy's sleeve to pass him off as a General so the Germans would surrender to them.

KG Erwin -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/26/2004 6:38:18 PM)

RE: "War and Peace"

I didn't sit through all five discs. I skipped forward to "1812", and the Battle of Borodino was unlike anything I've ever seen--literally a cast of thousands, and easily the longest battle sequence on cinema. I loved it.

Interestingly, the library's version has an opening screen that states that this particular reissue is not to be sold in the republics of the former Soviet Union. I didn't know there were different versions circulating. I'll have to ask one of the library's staff about how they acquired it.

After reading the MovieCityGeek review, the one I saw is the first set mentioned (the Rusico-Image Entertainment release), 5 discs. I would think that this is the one you need to buy to get the most complete current edition.

Von Rom -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/26/2004 7:01:40 PM)

quote:

RE: "War and Peace"

I didn't sit through all five discs. I skipped forward to "1812", and the Battle of Borodino was unlike anything I've ever seen--literally a cast of thousands, and easily the longest battle sequence on cinema. I loved it.

Interestingly, the library's version has an opening screen that states that this particular reissue is not to be sold in the republics of the former Soviet Union. I didn't know there were different versions circulating. I'll have to ask one of the library's staff about how they acquired it.

After reading the MovieCityGeek review, the one I saw is the first set mentioned (the Rusico-Image Entertainment release), 5 discs. I would think that this is the one you need to buy to get the most complete current edition.

I'm going to have to hunt this one down.

I understand that so many horses were actually killed in the making of the film that Animal Rights organizations around the world were up in arms over it.

Von Rom -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/26/2004 7:09:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: William Amos

Here is a few lesser know moves that others might like. If you liked 300 Spartans (which i did) these are more of the same.

THE LONG SHIPS
(1963)
[image]http://www.notrecinema.com/images/films/longships_1.jpg[/image]

Some of the acting is hammy, and some of the dialogue deliberately corny, but The Long Ships is the type of adventure film you see as a kid and never forget. If, like me, you bother to hunt it down in video after all these years, you'll find it still has scenes which pack a powerful punch.
The entire film revolves around the search for "The Mother of Voices," a legendary bell forged of solid gold and "as tall as three tall men." Suffice it to say that the people searching for it aren't interested in its musical value. Richard Widmark is the roguish son of a Viking thane, who seeks the bell to rescue his father from financial ruin. While caught in a maelstrom which eventually claimed his ship and crew, Widmark had heard the bell tolling off in the distance. As such, he's the only person alive who knows the bell really exists, and who has an idea of its whereabouts. By scrounging up a crew of believers and stealing his king's funeral ship under the cover of darkness, he sets out in pursuit of it once more.

Complicating matters is Sydney Poitier, king of the Moors in Africa. He too, has heard the legend of a giant bell of solid gold, and lusts after it with an obsession. When Widmark's ship gets wrecked on the African coast, the Vikings are taken captive by Poitier's soldiers. In exchange for their freedom, Widmark and his men agree to bring Poitier the bell.

Some of the scenes which make this film memorable:

1. When the Vikings wash ashore on the African coast, they are soon attacked by the Moorish army on horseback. Like true Norsemen, they hold their ground stubbornly, and the Moors beat a hasty retreat. But the retreat is only temporary, and when the second wave of the attack comes, we're treated to an awe-inspiring sight. The entire horizon is filled with Moorish soldiers on horseback rapidly advancing from the distance, the sun flashing off their shields up and down the line as they furiously charge forward. Widmark and his men wisely choose to surrender.

Richard Widmark, Sidney Poitier, Russ Tamblyn, Oscar Homolka, G. Jackson, Edward Judd, Lionel Jeffries, Colin Blakely

I saw this film as a young'en - heheh

It was pretty good. A good old fashioned adventure movie.

There was also another film I enjoyed called "The Vikings" with Kirk Douglas. Pretty authentic and all filming was done in the Fijords. . .

http://www.uln.com/cgi-bin/vlink/027616875822IE.html?ptitle=The-Vikings-DVD

[image]local://upfiles/279/Qn385964948.jpg[/image]

ShermanM4 -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/26/2004 7:09:27 PM)

A Midnight Clear was good. I kept thinking if this was supposed to be a "Platoon" style movie for WWII. In the end, I decided this was a good recounting of how tired the American GI's, who had any front line experience, were by the end of 1944. I thought the plot was good. Lets have a bunch of Germans surrender to us. It shows how soldiers on both sides are really just human and are still capable of mercy. Ultimately things go awry and horror and death ensue. I guess this is to show that war is so horrible on many different levels. Overall I liked it and I would recommend it. There are many flaws and bits and pieces of dumb dialogue, but even as a history buff I like it!

Von Rom -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/26/2004 7:40:46 PM)

These are among some of the best documentaries on WWII that were produced. I was able to tape a couple of episodes off the TV some years ago, but since then I have never seen them on TV or even available on DVD.

If you see them on TV, tape them. Simply superb work by PBS.

Anyone know more about them?

Battle for Midway.
Battlefield Series - PBS.

Battle for Leyte Gulf.

Battle for Russia.

Battle for Berlin.

Battle of the Rhine.

Battle for Italy.