RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

kev_uk -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/26/2004 7:41:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CCB

quote:

ORIGINAL: kev_uk

Does anyone remember a film about a crashed US bomber in the desert (WW2), and the crew were all talking about their escape, but they were in fact, dead? They were ghosts. I cannot for the life of me remember that film, but it made an impression on me at the time. Would really like to see that again.

Cheers

I've seen that one too. Where the crew is playing baseball around the wrecked plane.

Its based on a real incident - a crashed B-24 named The Lady Be Good.

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/history/wwii/lbg.htm

Thanks for the link. Fascinating story, found this site as well:

http://www.ladybegood.com/, which is really interesting.
Cheers
Kevin

KG Erwin -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/26/2004 7:54:49 PM)

TV note: American Movie Classics (AMC) is showing "Halls of Montezuma" at 5:30 PM EST today, followed by "In Harm's Way" at 8 PM and "The Enemy Below" at 11:30 PM. Wow--what a triple feature! Stock up on your popcorn and beverages of choice. [:)]

riverbravo -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/26/2004 10:03:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Von Rom

There was a special at A & B Sound: buy two DVDs for the price of one, so out of the choices provided, I picked up "The Great Escape" and "Rocky" (the original).

I must say that "Rocky" still holds up well after all these years. The movie was made for a few hundred thousand dollars; most of the actors were unknown; and there was no computer animation or major violence.

The entire movie rested on the script and the characters (imagine that) - heheh

I also noticed that the movie has a great sense of place and time: cold, dreary exteriors in some run-down neighbourhood in some off-beat section of Philadelphia. . .

Included on the DVD is a 28 minute discussion of the movie by Sylvester Stallone. It is worth seeing. Even today, you can tell that Rocky is his favourite character: the down-and-out loser who is given a once-in-a-life-time shot at the big time.

Still a great film. . .

I thought the second Rocky was a good movie also.

Its a shame they ran it into the ground.

But the first one is great.[:)]

Williamb -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/26/2004 11:02:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CCB

I loved that show. But wasn't the British guy a second season or mid-season replacement? I thought when the series started it was four Americans.

Well from episdoe guide seems the Brit was there at first episode so seems he was there from the start. Found this episode guide about the Show. Also saw there is DVD of this Show !! Yipeee !!!!

http://www.klio.net/RATPATROL/

Rat Patrol site

The Chase Through Fire Raid
Pilot (Airdate Sept 12, 1966)

[image]http://www.klio.net/RATPATROL/CAST/troy.gif[/image]

Sgt. Sam Troy, aka "Sarge" (Christopher George)
Charismatic leader, could charm a camel at 50 paces. Small in stature but carries a big gun.

[image]http://www.klio.net/RATPATROL/CAST/moff2.gif[/image]
Sgt. Jack Moffitt, aka "Don't call me Sarge" (Gary Raymond)
PhD, archaeologist, son of an archaeologist (no whip). Suave, sophisticated, multilingual, and gets to wear the black beret.

[image]http://www.klio.net/RATPATROL/CAST/hitch.gif[/image]
Pvt. Mark "Hitch" Hitchcock, aka "the kid" (Lawrence Casey)
Innocent boy-next-door, yet with a fondness for explosive devices.

[image]http://www.klio.net/RATPATROL/CAST/tully.gif[/image]
Pvt. Tully Pettigrew, aka "guy with the southern accent" (Justin Tarr)
Silent type. Really silent. But watch out for those hidden depths.

Guest Cast:
Janine Gray -- Vixen
Writers: Tom Gries and Lorenzo Semple, Jr.
Director: Tom Gries

commentary: The British 8th Army sends their desert expert -- Jack Moffitt -- to the Rat Patrol for one very special mission. But Sergeant Troy (the American head of the unit) is very uneasy about this new addition. Moffitt tells Troy that the Germans have buried ammunition and petrol at an abandoned oasis which only the Afrika Korps knows about. It's up to the Rat Patrol to find this oasis and destroy the cache before the Germans can reach it. Dietrich -- familiar with the Rat Patrol's tricks -- devises a trap wherein he will follow the Patrol to the oasis. The Rat Patrol gets delayed, though, by a broken axle and, in the end, it is a race between them and Dietrich to see who will reach the supplies first

Didz -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/26/2004 11:26:38 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

RE: "War and Peace"

I didn't sit through all five discs. I skipped forward to "1812", and the Battle of Borodino was unlike anything I've ever seen--literally a cast of thousands, and easily the longest battle sequence on cinema. I loved it.

Interestingly, the library's version has an opening screen that states that this particular reissue is not to be sold in the republics of the former Soviet Union. I didn't know there were different versions circulating. I'll have to ask one of the library's staff about how they acquired it.

After reading the MovieCityGeek review, the one I saw is the first set mentioned (the Rusico-Image Entertainment release), 5 discs. I would think that this is the one you need to buy to get the most complete current edition.

I'm going to have to hunt this one down.

As far as I can see its not available in the UK. Amazon.co.uk is only selling the 3 or 4 DVD version one of which is dubbed in English.

I have had to order it from Amazon US instead, fortunately my DVD player is multi-region.

KG Erwin -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/27/2004 3:58:58 AM)

Switching gears for a moment, I jave a copy of "Apocalypse Now Redux", with 49 extra minutes of additional footage to the original release. This is a movie you either love or hate, and I love it. It isn't a war movie--it's an allegorical tale, and even at that, many folks still slag it.

As for the director's cut's , the sound is great. Every nuance is audible, and the Doors' "The End", one my favorites, is of CD quality. The video itself is a little quirky, IMHO--whether consciously or subsconsciously, Coppola accents the color red--the flames in the opening sequence are accented to an extreme. I suppose this was intentional, but I have to adjust my DVD-player's settings on my PC for it to look right. All of this adds to the original surrealistic and trippy tone of the movie.

The main criticism I have is in the bonuses--there aren't any, except for the theatrical trailer. The excellent documentary on the making of this film, "Hearts of Darkness", is not included. This is a major disappointment. The addition of this would make it a "must buy". As it stands, this is the version to have if you don't already own it. Otherwise, it is good, but not essential.

stevemk1a -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/27/2004 4:58:40 AM)

Yup the Redux version is great.

I just love the added scene where Col. Kilgore is demanding the return of his surfboard ...

Fallschirmjager -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/27/2004 6:58:15 AM)

AN is my second favorite movie of all time. However...I find the redux version to be inferior to the original movie. The added footage slows down the pacing and makes the movie entirly too long.
Some of the scenes are very effective but most you can tell were deleted for a reason.
I remember when the redux version came out in theaters I took my girlfriend to see it (she had never seen the movie before) and when the first first scene with nudity came on the screen I said "wow...dont remember that part...." she just rolled her eyes [:D]

KG Erwin -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/27/2004 7:26:27 AM)

There is one part of the plantation sequence in AN that haunts me--the widow saying to Captain Willard, "There are two of you, don't you see? One that kills, and one that loves." This statement lays bare the personal conflict I have with being both a wargamer and a pacificist.

RayM -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/27/2004 8:39:03 AM)

FYI: After much waiting and some delay, I finally got the "The Enemy Below" and "The 300 Spartans" DVDs. They were long on my must have list.

BTW planes crashed in the desert, the 'Twilight Zone" had an episode called "King Nine It used a B-25 and starred Bob Cummings, I think.

Von Rom -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/27/2004 4:06:01 PM)

quote:

Switching gears for a moment, I jave a copy of "Apocalypse Now Redux", with 49 extra minutes of additional footage to the original release. This is a movie you either love or hate, and I love it. It isn't a war movie--it's an allegorical tale, and even at that, many folks still slag it.

As for the director's cut's , the sound is great. Every nuance is audible, and the Doors' "The End", one my favorites, is of CD quality. The video itself is a little quirky, IMHO--whether consciously or subsconsciously, Coppola accents the color red--the flames in the opening sequence are accented to an extreme. I suppose this was intentional, but I have to adjust my DVD-player's settings on my PC for it to look right. All of this adds to the original surrealistic and trippy tone of the movie.

The main criticism I have is in the bonuses--there aren't any, except for the theatrical trailer. The excellent documentary on the making of this film, "Hearts of Darkness", is not included. This is a major disappointment. The addition of this would make it a "must buy". As it stands, this is the version to have if you don't already own it. Otherwise, it is good, but not essential.

There is so much to the movie.

Coppola based AN on Conrad's "Heart of Darkness".

It's less a war movie, then it is a journey; a journey into the deepest recesses of a man's mind. You'll notice that the deeper the boat moves into the jungle, the weirder things become. That's because the movie is taking us deeper into a man's mind. But whose mind? Kurtz's?

Staying on the boat may be likened to people going along with society's values. Getting off the boat means venturing into uncharted and dangerous territory (ie stepping outside of established values and morals). Doing this can drive a person crazy. . .

As one of the characters quipped, "Never get off the boat, man! Never get off the boat. . ."

Great film on so many levels. . .

kev_uk -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/27/2004 7:50:09 PM)

Yeah I love Apocalypse Now, the reasons you point out are some of them. I like the analogy with the boat as well, never thought of it that way before.
The thing which strikes me is the comparison between Kurtz and Willard; both total **** ups from their own experiances of war, more specifically the Vietnam War. Kurtz had lost it totally...someone who really had good prospects/career in the Military, but..he flipped.

The films atmosphere is stunning as well...it really is classic.

I have always intended to read Condrads 'heart of Darkness', will get around to it someday.

kev_uk -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/27/2004 7:53:41 PM)

How do you ppl rate 'The Thin Red Line'?
I think it rates as one of my all time classic war films. Again, like Apoc Now, it has a strong anti-war message, in the sense of what is the higher purpose? The voice overs questioning God and his motives are particulary poignant. Yeah its a fictional account of Guadalcanel (but based on a book), but the film left a impression on me.
Good stuff.

Von Rom -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/28/2004 12:31:11 AM)

quote:

Yeah I love Apocalypse Now, the reasons you point out are some of them. I like the analogy with the boat as well, never thought of it that way before.
The thing which strikes me is the comparison between Kurtz and Willard; both total **** ups from their own experiances of war, more specifically the Vietnam War. Kurtz had lost it totally...someone who really had good prospects/career in the Military, but..he flipped.

I have always intended to read Condrads 'heart of Darkness', will get around to it someday.

There is a lot in AN. Coppola shows that movie-going can also be great art.

You'll notice that both main characters: Kurtz and Willard, are struggling with inner turmoil. Kurtz loses the battle. But Willard, by remaining on the boat (and clinging to a moral life-raft), emerges having "conquered" his inner demons.

In a way, the meeting between Willard and Kurtz could actually be the "Good" Willard confronting the "Bad" Willard (as played by Kurtz), and the struggle that ensues determines whether Willard will emerge "sane". The journey by boat, being the journey that Willard must undertake to look deep inside himself, and confront the conflicting turmoil bubbling inside him. It is an inner journey and a "fight" that Willard must win in order to be able to re-enter society again. . .

Here is a free downloadable copy of "Heart of Darkness" made possible through the Gutenberg Project:

http://www.gutenberg.lib.md.us/index/by-title/xx671.html

kev_uk -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/28/2004 2:13:57 AM)

quote:

quote:

You'll notice that both main characters: Kurtz and Willard, are struggling with inner turmoil. Kurtz loses the battle. But Willard, by remaining on the boat (and clinging to a moral life-raft), emerges having "conquered" his inner demons.

In a way, the meeting between Willard and Kurtz could actually be the "Good" Willard confronting the "Bad" Willard (as played by Kurtz), and the struggle that ensues determines whether Willard will emerge "sane". The journey by boat, being the journey that Willard must undertake to look deep inside himself, and confront the conflicting turmoil bubbling inside him. It is an inner journey and a "fight" that Willard must win in order to be able to re-enter society again. . .

Here is a free downloadable copy of "Heart of Darkness" made possible through the Gutenberg Project:

I was also confused with the brief glimpse of the books in Kurtzs' quarters...One was 'The Golden Bough', and early 20thC text about Magic and Spiritualism IIRC, and TS Eliots 'The Hollow men', which he is reading from. Any interpretations on them?

I think I will have to go and watch it again...I have both versions on DVD, the theatrical one and Redux, which I have only seen once.

Cheers for the link to HoD. Conrad also wrote Nostromo as well, which is how the Space Freighter in Alien got its name, again IIRC.

Cheers

Von Rom -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/28/2004 6:44:59 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

I was also confused with the brief glimpse of the books in Kurtzs' quarters...One was 'The Golden Bough', and early 20thC text about Magic and Spiritualism IIRC, and TS Eliots 'The Hollow men', which he is reading from. Any interpretations on them?

I think I will have to go and watch it again...I have both versions on DVD, the theatrical one and Redux, which I have only seen once.

Cheers for the link to HoD. Conrad also wrote Nostromo as well, which is how the Space Freighter in Alien got its name, again IIRC.

Cheers

You have a good eye for catching the titles of those books.

I noticed one of characters on the boat was reading Steppenwolf by Hesse.

I have not heard about some of those books, but like most things in this movie, they are probably there for a reason.

It could be argued that Willard and Kurtz are BOTH THE SAME PERSON. Just as all people have good and bad inside them, so too does Willard (Kurtz is his bad side). The Redux version is more explicit about this in the movie, especially when the French woman at the plantation tells Willard that he is "both a killer and a lover."

At the beginning of the movie Willard is in crisis psychologically. He is loosing a grip on reality.

So his intellectual side (played by military HQ) gives him an assignment to confront and slay the evil side of his mind (played by Kurtz).

The boat itself, could represent society's morals and values. One of the characters states: "Don't get off the boat". Why? Because getting off the boat, as Kurtz did, means you are operating outside of society's established morality.

Even the crew on the boat all represent different aspects of Willard. You'll notice that the Captain of boat (who is steering it) is the clearest thinker, and that he NEVER gets off the boat (and so remains sane). Bad things start to happen when the Captain lets others steer the boat, or when others get off the boat. . .

So the journey by boat is Willard's journey to battle Kurtz, and so confront his inner demons and to slay them.

You'll notice that the sky gets darker and that strange things begin to happen the further the boat travels. That is because Willard is journeying deeper into his own subconscious mind, in his attempt to confront his evil side (played by Kurtz).

At the last American Outpost, Willard asks various soldiers "Who's in command here?" The answer? "Aren't YOU (Willard) in command?" Yes, Willard MUST remain in control (command) of his own mind.

All the things the crew on the boat encounter along the way (Duvall's character, French plantation, Playboy Bunnies, etc) all show the often conflicting emotions, actions, feelings, etc that each person has inside them.

So, in a single day the same person could be kind, angry, sad, hopeful, cultured, lustful, crass, evil, good, caring, cold, etc. . .

The trick is to NEVER let them overwhelm or control us. In other words we must always be in control of ourselves and our emotions.

It is interesting that Kurtz's first two initials are:

W.E. Kurtz.

Notice the "W.E." meaning "we". Yes, all of us are Kurtz and all of us are Willard. The good and the bad. There is a conflict between the good and bad in all of us.

Willard's journey and his task (as it is for all of us) is to confront, control, and to win over the evil side inside himself (played by Kurtz).

Von Rom -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/29/2004 5:30:11 PM)

It is too bad that the DVD of Apocalypse Now! did not have any commentary about the movie from Coppola. Also, I would have liked to have seen "Hearts of Darkness" (the making of Apocalypse Now!) included on the disc. Perhaps, a Special Edition will come out later with this extra material?

For those who are interested.

Here is the complete transcript of the movie Apocalypse Now!.

http://www.corky.net/scripts/apocalypseNow.html

It is an interesting read, and I think the movie itself is worthy of being viewed several times (and studied) for the various levels of meaning in it.

Here is a another draft of the screenplay by Coppola, which includes the French Plantation scene

http://www.awesomefilm.com/script/apocalypsenow_draft.txt

Roger Ebert's review of APOCALYPSE NOW /REDUX:

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_reviews/2001/08/081005.html

[image]local://upfiles/279/Mk265335065.jpg[/image]

Didz -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/29/2004 6:15:15 PM)

Just finished watching the 'Yangtse Incident'. Brilliant film which actually used the real ship HMS Anethyst.

And of course a true story unlike the usual bollocks one gets fed now days.

[image]local://upfiles/4382/Om323452741.jpg[/image]

Von Rom -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/29/2004 6:43:42 PM)

I did a bit of digging and here is some of the material that was referenced/used in the movie Apocalypse Now!:

Kurtz read extracts from Eliot's Hollow Men:

http://www.brothersjudd.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/reviews.detail/book_id/617/Hollow%20Men.htm

One of the boat's crew members was reading the book Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse:

http://www.pinkmonkey.com/booknotes/monkeynotes/pmSteppenwolf02.asp

The main character (Haller) in this novel feels there are two sides to himself; one is filled with pain and suffering, and the other is filled with beauty. He considers his baser side to be a werewolf, even though the division into man and wolf is an over-simplification of his troubles. Amazingly, the main character says that he is quite content with having a split nature; he feels that his human side and wolf side, which he calls Steppenwolf, exist in harmony with each other. He is, however, not being truthful with himself. Steppenwolf, the animal side of Haller, longs to understand humankind; in his search, he is driven to his primitive nature, driven by the senses.

An examination of the movie as well as the book Heart of Darkness:

http://www.brothersjudd.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/reviews.detail/book_id/936

kev_uk -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/29/2004 10:41:29 PM)

On the history channel this afternoon? Yeah neat. Seen it ages ago mind, but still interesting.

kev_uk -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/29/2004 10:51:40 PM)

quote:

I did a bit of digging and here is some of the material that was referenced/used in the movie Apocalypse Now!:

Kurtz read extracts from Eliot's Hollow Men:

http://www.brothersjudd.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/reviews.detail/book_id/617/Hollow%20Men.htm

One of the boat's crew members was reading the book Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse:

http://www.pinkmonkey.com/booknotes/monkeynotes/pmSteppenwolf02.asp

The main character (Haller) in this novel feels there are two sides to himself; one is filled with pain and suffering, and the other is filled with beauty. He considers his baser side to be a werewolf, even though the division into man and wolf is an over-simplification of his troubles. Amazingly, the main character says that he is quite content with having a split nature; he feels that his human side and wolf side, which he calls Steppenwolf, exist in harmony with each other. He is, however, not being truthful with himself. Steppenwolf, the animal side of Haller, longs to understand humankind; in his search, he is driven to his primitive nature, driven by the senses.

An examination of the movie as well as the book Heart of Darkness:

http://www.brothersjudd.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/reviews.detail/book_id/936

Again good links. You seem to like the film, no? [;)]

I really like The Doors 'The End' in the opening credits. I bought the soundtrack CD a while ago as well, which was ok.

What message is it trying to get across? That war screws with a mans mind? war is pure hell, and can turn good men into bad? Dunno, but I think Coppola's message was anti-war--I mean it was released in '79, about 4/5 years after the conflict had ended and was fresh in everyones mind. Coppola just about pulled it off as well, as the film was laden with problems (Martin Sheen had a heatattack, and Brando was overweight which is why we dont get to see much of him I think, as well as it being massivly overbudget). Whatever underlying message there is, it is a very atmospheric, haunting film.

Von Rom -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (6/30/2004 12:42:48 AM)

quote:

You seem to like the film, no? [;)]

I really like The Doors 'The End' in the opening credits. I bought the soundtrack CD a while ago as well, which was ok.

What message is it trying to get across? That war screws with a mans mind? war is pure hell, and can turn good men into bad? Dunno, but I think Coppola's message was anti-war--I mean it was released in '79, about 4/5 years after the conflict had ended and was fresh in everyones mind. Coppola just about pulled it off as well, as the film was laden with problems (Martin Sheen had a heatattack, and Brando was overweight which is why we dont get to see much of him I think, as well as it being massivly overbudget). Whatever underlying message there is, it is a very atmospheric, haunting film.

When I first saw AN, I thought it was a decent movie. But like many people I didn't understand what Coppola was trying to tell us.

Yet, there was something about the film that moved me. But I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

I saw the film again, and did some reading about it.

I now realize that Coppola had created a film that actually made the viewer have to think about what he is viewing, rather than having it spoon fed to us, like most movies do today.

And the movie does make you think. That to me is the hallmark of great art. And yes, AN is a work of art.

It can be enjoyed on so many levels:

1) It can viewed as just a war film (although if it is viewed in this way, some of the scenes can be confusing)

2) It can be seen as an anti-war film; what war can do to people. . .

3) On a deeper level, it can also be seen as an in-depth study into human psychology. Willard undertakes a subconcious journey to slay the evil forces of his nature (which are represented by Kurtz).

And it is on this last level, where I think the film can best be understood.

Even here, there are several ways to approach the film:

It could be argued that Willard and Kurtz are BOTH THE SAME PERSON. Just as all people have good and bad inside them, so too does Willard (Kurtz is his bad side). The Redux version is more explicit about this in the movie, especially when the French woman at the plantation tells Willard that he is "both a killer and a lover."

In other words, there is a duality in man: the good vs the bad; the ethical vs the evil, etc. . .

As CORMAN says to Willard:

"Well, you see Willard... In this war, things get confused
out there, power, ideals, the old morality, and practical
military necessity. Out there with these natives it must be
a temptation to be god. Because there's a conflict in
every human heart between the rational and the irrational,
between good and evil. The good does not always triumph.
Sometimes the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called
the better angels of our nature. Every man has got a
breaking point. You and I have. Walter Kurtz has reached his.
And very obviously, he has gone insane."

At the beginning of the movie Willard is in crisis psychologically. He is loosing a grip on reality and sanity.

So his intellectual side (played by military HQ) gives him an assignment to confront and slay the evil side of his mind/nature (played by Kurtz).

The boat itself, could represent society's morals and values. One of the characters states: "Don't get off the boat". Why? Because getting off the boat, as Kurtz did, means you are operating outside of society's established morality.

Even the crew on the boat all represent different aspects of Willard. You'll notice that the Captain of boat (who is steering it) is the clearest thinker, and that he NEVER gets off the boat (and so remains sane). Bad things start to happen when the Captain lets others steer the boat, or when others get off the boat. . .

So the journey by boat is Willard's journey to battle Kurtz, and so confront his inner demons and to slay them.

You'll notice that the sky gets darker and that strange things begin to happen the further the boat travels. That is because Willard is journeying deeper into his own subconscious mind, in his attempt to confront his evil side (played by Kurtz).

At the last American Outpost on the river, Willard asks various soldiers "Who's in command here?" The answer he receives is: "Aren't YOU (Willard) in command?" Yes, Willard MUST remain in control (command) of his own mind.

All the things the crew on the boat encounter along the way (Duvall's character, French plantation, Playboy Bunnies, etc) all show the often conflicting emotions, actions, feelings, etc that each person has inside them.

You'll notice that everything about the French Plantation: the people, clothes, linen, etc are all white and it is almost a surreal setting for it all to be there in the jungle. Yet, if viewed as an inner journey, then the Plantation and everything else could actually represent the Spirit of French Colonialism in Vietnam. In other words, we are presented with the ghosts of the past giving Willard/us a warning. . .

We are also confronted with various scenes of war, death, sex, happiness, sadness, apathy, terror, etc. . .

These I think represent the various emotions/events that people go through in their lives.

Even in a single day the same person could go through many contradictory emotions such as: kindness, anger, sadness, hopefulness, culture, lust, crassness, evil, goodness, caring, etc. . .

It is interesting that Kurtz's first two initials are:

W.E. Kurtz.

Notice the "W.E." meaning "we". Yes, all of us are Kurtz and all of us are Willard. The good and the bad. There is a conflict between the good and bad in all of us.

Willard's journey and his task (as it is for all of us) is to confront, control, and to win over the evil side inside himself (played by Kurtz).

When Willard reaches Kurtz's Compound, we are confronted with very bizarre things. That is because Willard has now reached the very inner most level of his own subconcious: where the primative, irrational, bizarre, and evil dwells. . .

Once Willard slays Kurtz, notice that all the natives lay down their weapons and kneel before Willard. That is because Willard has symbolically slain his evil side and has gained control over his "warring demons".

When Willard is leaving the Compound to head back to the boat, he takes the hand of the "surfer" member of the crew. Could this represent Willard regaining his "normal", "naive", "fun-loving" self again? Possibly regaining an "innocence lost"?

Also notice that at the end of the movie, the code word for HQ is called "Almighty". And that the "Almighty" keeps trying to get into contact with the boat and with Willard. . .

I have highlighted just a few ideas that are in the movie, but there are many, many more ideas/views that can be found and appreciated.

KG Erwin -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (7/3/2004 9:26:04 PM)

Shifting subject matter for a moment, I got a copy of the director's cut of "Amadeus" from the library. The sound in this edition has been beefed up, so Mozart's music, which carries this film, sounds glorious. 20 minutes of additional footage has been edited in(including a brief view of Elizabeth Berridge topless [:)] ), and there is a great documentary on the challenges of adapting Peter Shaffer's play to film.

This movie is beautiful to watch and listen to. It is one of my all-time favorites, and F. Murray Abraham's performance as Salieri was truly deserving of the Oscar he won for it.

Von Rom -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (7/4/2004 3:31:35 AM)

quote:

Shifting subject matter for a moment, I got a copy of the director's cut of "Amadeus" from the library. The sound in this edition has been beefed up, so Mozart's music, which carries this film, sounds glorious. 20 minutes of additional footage has been edited in(including a brief view of Elizabeth Berridge topless [:)] ), and there is a great documentary on the challenges of adapting Peter Shaffer's play to film.

This movie is beautiful to watch and listen to. It is one of my all-time favorites, and F. Murray Abraham's performance as Salieri was truly deserving of the Oscar he won for it.

I agree about Amadeus: It was one of my first buys after the LoTR I & II.

Everything in the film is perfect, and Abraham's performance should not be missed.

Another film I picked up was "Thirteen Days" - about the Cuban Missile Crisis. Tension-filled from beginning to end. Also a good look at how Crisises can be managed. There are also extras such as Documentaries about the Crisis. . .

You have to wonder what might have happened had the Kennedy's not had a tight rein on the military decision-makers. . .[&:]

mavraam -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (7/7/2004 9:35:26 PM)

I just caught the first 2 episodes of Band of Brothers again. I think I'll add that to my list!

quote:

(During the Bulge)

2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Lt. Winters: We're airborne, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

Corny. But you gotta love it!

I just noticed over at IMDB that it has a user rating of 9.5 out of 10! I guess mini-series don't qualify for their top 250 movie list because the Godfather is number 1 at 9.0.

Alby -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (7/7/2004 11:14:17 PM)

The Alamo (2004)
when it comes out in September[:D]

U2 -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (7/7/2004 11:22:01 PM)

[image]http://213.238.202.163/boxshot.php?id=25949&typ=large[/image]

Bought it today...

SKORPIO -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (7/8/2004 7:13:29 AM)

Two war movies that don't get mentioned much, but which l really enjoy are -

The Beast - About the Russians in Afghanistan
and
Go Tell The Spartans - About the Americans in Vietnam
Two really entertaining films, at least in my opinion. Watch them and see what you think. I think what really stands out in these two films is the contrast between the hate filled Russian tank commander and the oh so laid back American C.O. Excellent stuff.

Didz -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (7/8/2004 3:16:35 PM)

General Kutusov: War & Peace

There are always a multitude of councillors, but a shortage of men. So true.

and

Have no fear I shall make them eat horsemeat. and they still do. [:D]

mavraam -> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? (7/8/2004 4:25:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SKORPIO

Two war movies that don't get mentioned much, but which l really enjoy are -

The Beast - About the Russians in Afghanistan
and
Go Tell The Spartans - About the Americans in Vietnam
Two really entertaining films, at least in my opinion. Watch them and see what you think. I think what really stands out in these two films is the contrast between the hate filled Russian tank commander and the oh so laid back American C.O. Excellent stuff.

I've seen 'The Beast' (originally 'The Beast of War'). Excellent little movie. Great cat and mouse game between the hopelessly cut off tank crew and villagers. In fact I saw it right before the American invasion of Afghanistan. It seemed to support the notion going around at the time that the war would be a hopeless, long and bloody conflict.

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI