How do I catch that darned mouse? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Fred98 -> How do I catch that darned mouse? (9/24/2004 3:16:26 AM)

On each of the last 2 nights, we set a mousetrap in the kitchen with cheese as bait.

On each occasion the cheese has disappeared over night without upsetting the mousetrap.

How do I catch a mouse?

You answer cannot include the words “cat” or “music”

Reiryc -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (9/24/2004 3:49:53 AM)

poison the cheese.

Bodhi -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (9/24/2004 3:50:23 AM)

The "mouse traps" you can get here contain large areas of very sticky "glue". Just put them down where you think the mice will run, and when they run onto them they stick and can't get off. The standard version are just folded in half, you just open and put down. The deluxe versions have sides and a little roof with pretty smiling mice cartoons. Guess it's to hide the stricken mouse from the wife. Of course not good if you have pets or young children - no they won't get stuck but they may move/play with them. [:D]

Marc von Martial -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (9/24/2004 11:45:50 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reiryc

poison the cheese.

Exactly, why break its neck when you can have it easier ;)

sprior -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (9/24/2004 3:20:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

On each of the last 2 nights, we set a mousetrap in the kitchen with cheese as bait.

On each occasion the cheese has disappeared over night without upsetting the mousetrap.

How do I catch a mouse?

Use chocolate, not cheese - the squeaky little bastards love it.

riverbravo -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (9/24/2004 4:15:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

quote:

poison the cheese.

Because it will crawl off were you cant get to it and stink up the place.

Find the entrance its using and block it up.If that doesnt work try a pellet or BB gun.

Use poisen as a last resort and if you do put it by the entrance so he will crawl outside to die.

Marc von Martial -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (9/24/2004 4:46:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: riverbravo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

quote:

poison the cheese.

Find the entrance its using and block it up.If that doesnt work try a pellet or BB gun.

Use poisen as a last resort and if you do put it by the entrance so he will crawl outside to die.

Use one that works immediatly ;)

MButtazoni -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (9/24/2004 5:48:33 PM)

quote:

in my experience mice always like to die on the floor in the middle of a room. (not joking)

tsimmonds -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (9/24/2004 5:57:27 PM)

Glue traps are especially bad. The mouse will be frantic the whole time it is stuck, and they are nearly impossible to get them unstuck without ripping their feet off. What do you do with it once it is caught, anyway? Throw it in the trash? Flush it down the toilet? Put it in the trash compactor? Burn it in the incinerator? The ones that deal out instant death are more humane. Get the black plastic ones with the serrated jaws and hair triggers, that you don't have to bait.

Muletears -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (9/24/2004 7:59:31 PM)

Currants or raisins used as bait on 'breakback' traps or in live 'trapdoor' traps work well in my part of the world (UK)

If you don't have a trap to hand then it's amazing what you can do with a pair of Wellington boots laid in strategic places along skirting boards/walls (Brit mices always prefer moving along the edges of rooms) 'Set' boots, extinguish lights and wait... When you hear the little buggers scurrying about switch on light and if you're lucky they dash for the dark 'safety' of the boot and are apprehended.

Hertston -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (9/24/2004 8:19:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

[image]http://www.fmi.uni-passau.de/~zimmerth/mcp/cats/blofeld/fyeo4.jpg[/image]

I didn't use the word [:D]

nico71 -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (9/25/2004 12:55:44 AM)

Be careful! A mouse can be an extremely dangerous adversary! [:D]

[image]http://images.amazon.com/images/G/covers/0/78/323/117/0783231172.l.gif[/image]

watchtower -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (9/25/2004 2:19:25 AM)

http://www.kolias.com/homegarden/mouse.htm

Looks a good idea

Dirtdog20 -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (9/25/2004 3:38:12 AM)

Small nuclear weapon? [:D]

Seriously, you should be able to find live traps if you dont want to poison it. The mouse will cage itself once it goes to the cheese. Go to your local feed/ farmer supply store to find them.

Splinterhead -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (9/25/2004 3:06:25 PM)

Peanut Butter.

Owlwatcher -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (9/29/2004 3:46:08 PM)

Catching mice.
Stay away from the Glue traps and poison..
I use peanut butter on a regular old mouse trap.
Set the traps along their pathways.
While not fool proof. Have had mice eating the peanut butter for up to 5 days before the trap worked.
Was gonna name one of the mice..[:D]

Heres a funny story.
Had are yearly invasion of mice and some times the snakes that follow them. Well had just caught one and was throwing the mouse outside for the wild things that eat them. Was reseting the trap. Theres never just one. My sister saw this and said you reuse the trap??? She told me that you throw the trap and mouse in the trash.
I never thought of throwing the trap out. Now I know where all the traps went.
On this subject . Do you throw the trap out or reuse.

Fred98 -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (9/30/2004 1:55:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Owlwatcher
On this subject . Do you throw the trap out or reuse.

Havn't caught a mouse yet [&:]

*Lava* -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (9/30/2004 2:33:33 AM)

Hi!

Okay, I have a cafe and every now and then a small mouse will get in from the street. So I have a little experience at this...

First, cheese, chocolate works fine. I'm partial to chocolate. The trick is to smash the chocolate real well onto the trap, so the mouse must "pull" on it.

Second, most mouse traps don't trip easy enough to catch a small mouse. The little bugger will just climb up on the trap, eat away and the trap won't spring. To make sure you get the dude, take a little bit of cooking oil (smells like food) and "greese" the whole spring and catch mechanism so that it has a "hair" trigger. If it is greesed properly, it should be quite difficult to set-up. The trap will want to trip with the slightest nouge, so careful for your fingers.

And lastly, place the trap in a place you are "sure" the mouse will go. Normally, when I think I have a mouse, I first just set out my bait one night and see if he takes it. The next morning, if it is gone, I know first of all, I have a mouse, and second, where to put my trap.

Too bad you have to kill the little buggers, but there usually ain't much choice.

Good hunting..

Ray (alias Lava)

Mr.Frag -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (9/30/2004 8:50:49 PM)

quote:

poison the cheese.

Bad plan

Then it goes back in it's hole and dies there and stinks the place up and you have to rip out the wall to get it out!

SeaMonkey -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (9/30/2004 10:04:38 PM)

Just a quick addition...I have had mice crawl off with the trap attached (yeah..we even have bigger ,tougher, cowboy like mice in Texas) and they die and stink up the place...dirty Rats!! So drill a hole in the trap an attach speaker wire (can't chew through it) and tie it off to an immovable object.

Svennemir -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (10/4/2004 6:57:17 PM)

quote:

Use chocolate, not cheese - the squeaky little bastards love it.

I would consider that too, but then I would refrain from doing it since I might otherwise end up trapping myself.

Muzrub -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (10/11/2004 11:03:51 AM)

quote:

How do I catch a mouse

You sure that mouse isnt a Kangaroo, Sylvester had problems too[:)]

Rocco -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (10/18/2004 11:51:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

Glue traps are especially bad. The mouse will be frantic the whole time it is stuck, and they are nearly impossible to get them unstuck without ripping their feet off. What do you do with it once it is caught, anyway? Throw it in the trash? Flush it down the toilet? Put it in the trash compactor? Burn it in the incinerator? The ones that deal out instant death are more humane. Get the black plastic ones with the serrated jaws and hair triggers, that you don't have to bait.

The one I caught on a glue trap I brought outside and whacked it with a hammer (I'm a carpenter). It really is brutal. The mouse squealed and squealed until I delivered the blow. It was trying to naw off it's legs to free itself. I have never bought another glue trap since.

Looking back, I probably could have thought of a cleaner method of handling the problem, but the first thing I thought of was the hammer. And I just HAD to stop that annoying squeal, FAST!

Rocco

Cap Mandrake -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (10/20/2004 6:28:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Muzrub

quote:

How do I catch a mouse

You sure that mouse isnt a Kangaroo, Sylvester had problems too[:)]

LOL [:D]

Cap Mandrake -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (10/20/2004 6:47:37 PM)

Poison is the best solution outside Do not use it inside or you may get a lovely carcass behind your dry wall.

I agree with Lava..your trap isn't triggering properly. Test the set trap with a pencil to assess the trigger force. You can adjust the trigger force slightly by subtly bending the trigger arm if needed or you could use a lubricant. Push the bait on the bait lever so it will take some force to get the last morsel off. When properly set for hair trigger it will snap 50% of the time as you breathlessly move it to the planned location...scaring the **** out of yourself.

Glue traps are the worst....you will wake up at 2 AM to pitiful squeeling or sratching sounds..and they can drag the thing.

In contrast with the trap..you may get 30 seconds of leg twitching..then you can go back to sleep with a smile on your face.

For the big boys..you do need to wire the trap to something big.

A novel option is the use of a rattlesnake...I killed a rattler coming out of my garage with a BIG bulge in his belly [X(] This is not recommended inside either.

Now gophers are another story [:@] Bloody destructive critters

*Lava* -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (10/20/2004 8:11:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

When properly set for hair trigger it will snap 50% of the time as you breathlessly move it to the planned location...scaring the **** out of yourself.

[:D]

You got it!

Ray (alias Lava)

SlapBone -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (10/21/2004 12:00:02 AM)

I have used a particualar kind of poison (although I can't remember the name) that was really slow acting and would dehydrate the little buggers so that they would go outside looking for water. It's efficient but I can't say they won't die before they find water, and if you have leaky pipes it will probably die behind the wall anyway.

Another way is to get a block of ice and cut a hole in it. Line up green peas all around the hole. When the mouse comes to take a pea kick him in the ice-hole...no wait...that's a polar bear...nevermind.

Fred98 -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (10/21/2004 1:46:35 AM)

Nothing worked. The mice elude us.

However, they have disappeared. It must have been your positive thoughts that terrified them !

Bunker22 -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (10/21/2004 7:29:26 PM)

Attack the mouse on turn 2. Unload your three transports with two infantries, two artillery and a tank. Don´t forget to use your battleships to give their shot supports.

If the mice is alone, he will perish and you will be able to occupy your living room again.

hope this strategy helps

the_redstar_swl -> RE: How do I catch that darned mouse? (10/28/2004 10:40:05 AM)

peanut butter works good for me

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI