RE: Map Mod Information (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

Admiral Scott -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/2/2004 7:35:58 AM)

How about posting some close up pics of the map.

Andrew Brown -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/2/2004 8:00:44 AM)

quote:

http://member.melbpc.org.au/~akbrown/witp/mapmod01.html

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Admiral Scott

I'm going here...... http://member.melbpc.org.au/~akbrown/witp/mapmod01.html
and getting a blank white page.

Ditto that

Sorry!

I just checked the page in IE and you are right - it is blank. I use Firefox and it is fine in that. I have found an error in the HTML code which is causing the problem. I won't be able to upload a fixed page for a few hours. I'll post here when it is fixed (or use Firefox [:'(])

Andrew Brown -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/2/2004 9:42:44 AM)

I have hopefully corrected the website now, so that it should be visible when using Internet Explorer. I can't test it yet because I don't use Windows when online, but I should be able to test it soon.

I have also added a link from the map mod details page (at the bottom of the page) to a JPEG file showing a large part of the map - the part that covers North America. Please feel free to take a look and make comments/suggestions (good or bad).

Here is a direct link to the JPEG file:

member.melbpc.org.au/~akbrown/images/North_America.jpg
(Warning - 1.3 MB file)

Tanaka -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/2/2004 10:04:27 AM)

just curious but will you have anything like the flags in WITP to represent the bases???

Bodhi -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/2/2004 10:09:34 AM)

The flags are drawn over the map by the program using the bases info from the scenario database file. So, if you add a new base somewhere in the database, you'll automatically get a "flag".

steveh11Matrix -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/2/2004 12:31:09 PM)

Looks superb, Andrew.

bstarr -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/2/2004 12:46:47 PM)

outstanding!

A question, though. How will this affect current scenarios? Will they all have to be rewritten or will the bases show up in the same coordinates?

Raverdave -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/2/2004 1:38:39 PM)

Well done mate................your "art" is not as bad as you led me to believe at the pub the other week.

Andrew Brown -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/2/2004 3:00:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstarr

outstanding!

A question, though. How will this affect current scenarios? Will they all have to be rewritten or will the bases show up in the same coordinates?

The scenarios have to be modified as well. I have written a script to do this automatically, though. I have not enetered ALL of the conversion data for the script yet but it is more or less done. The script should be able to be used to convert any scenario to the modded map.

Cap Mandrake -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/2/2004 4:56:52 PM)

North America is fantastic. I like the Alcan highway...and just in case the Japs invade Manitoba from the North...they will not be able to cross lake Winninipeg from North to South [:)]

What gives with the fractured sea ice...any effect on game play?

bstarr -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/2/2004 5:34:45 PM)

quote:

The scenarios have to be modified as well. I have written a script to do this automatically, though. I have not enetered ALL of the conversion data for the script yet but it is more or less done. The script should be able to be used to convert any scenario to the modded map.

damn, you're good. [&o]

is there a timeframe for having the map ready? I'm about to start a self-mod scenario and would be VERY interested in trying it on the new map.
bs

ps. can we get a peek at china? My mod deals with several changes there and I'm curious as to how they may fit.

captskillet -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/2/2004 6:48:21 PM)

Andrew I'll be glad to help you test it ....it will be hard to form a decent opinion until I see and play on the real deal but what I saw on your webite looks good to me!!!

Smiffus64 -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/2/2004 10:10:57 PM)

Very, very, very nice, do you mind if I ask for the addition of the Manpower/Resources/Oil numbers on the map like the map mod Kid did? That would be really great.

Bulldog61 -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/2/2004 10:34:43 PM)

These are awesome from what I've seen so far! Keep up the good work.

Andrew Brown -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/3/2004 1:03:07 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

Bora Bora is an atoll of volcanic origin. The reef is 1 to 1 1/2 miles wide with a number of small, low barrier islands. A single natural passage through the reef had been expanded by the French, using dynamite, and led to two excellent sheltered anchorages - Teavanui Harbor and Fanui Bay. Unloading facilities initially consisted of a long wooden wharf (apparently in Fanui Bay), built pre-war. Additional wharfs were constructed by the American garrison using coconut log frames filled with coral and stone. A large refueling station, complete with additional piers, storage tanks, support facilites, etc were "quickly constructed". A 6000 foot army airfield and an aircraft assembly depot were constructed on one of the low, flat islands in the barrier reef.

Don't know exactly how to convert this to standard WITP values, but I would guess an initial port of 1-2 with a max of 3 or 4. Airfield 0 with max of 3.

Data is from "World War II Pacific Island Guide - A Geo-Military Study" by Gordon L. Rottman - ISBN 0-313-31395-4. and "Bogged Down in Bora Bora" by Ervan F. Kushner (an officer in the Garrision).

Unfortunately there is no data for Tahiti as no U.S. forces were stationed there.

Thanks for the information Don. Very useful. I'll probably go with Port 1(3), Airfield 0(3) , or maybe 0(4)?, for Bora Bora. Not so sure about Papaete, maybe 1(2) for port, 1(2) for airfield. There has to be some reason for the Allies to develop Bora Bora over Papaete.

Andrew Brown -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/3/2004 1:12:05 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

North America is fantastic. I like the Alcan highway...and just in case the Japs invade Manitoba from the North...they will not be able to cross lake Winninipeg from North to South [:)]

What gives with the fractured sea ice...any effect on game play?

Yes, very important that lake Winnipeg [:'(]

The 'sea ice' is just another visual representation of the permanent ice of the North. It is impassable terrain as well but is just drawn differently, so that it doesn't look like the world is in the grip of a new ice age.

There are a couple of other 'new' terrain types as well. Sand desert (some can be seen near the location of Salt lake City) and Tundra (seen throughout Northern Canada). These are just different visual representations of what will actually be swamp terrain.

As for when it will be ready. I am hoping to have it all done in a few days. I should write some detailed notes and some type of installer, but I don't want to delay things too long for those. If anyone is willing to have to install it (and uninstall it) manually, then I can make it available sooner.

I will also need some kind person with lots of free space on a website to host it. I don't have enough room on my site. I will contact Soppky to see whether he can do it.

jcjordan -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/3/2004 1:58:14 AM)

Love your map work, just starting looking to update my map & found your's right away. Just waiting for your to finish it up so I can download it. How will it work with you adding all the extra bases & the WITP database not having those in the scenario? Will you have an additional file to update the database along with the map file?

Bulldog61 -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/5/2004 6:26:09 PM)

Andrew what will we need to do to adapt our scenario mods to work with this map. It appears that the X,Y coordinates of bases, some units (Those not at a base) and task forces will change. Also will the new terrain types work with the game as terrain effects are not table driven but are hard coded.

The US map looks great is Portland now actually a port?

Platoonist -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/5/2004 8:15:59 PM)

Although a large port, Portlands lies well up the Columbia River. You would probably have to play with geography and set it direct on the Pacific to make it work as a port. Too bad the game doesn't allow for riverine movement. However kudos for adding the Columbia River. Excellent looking map. [8D]

Ron Saueracker -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/5/2004 10:03:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

quote:

Bora Bora is an atoll of volcanic origin. The reef is 1 to 1 1/2 miles wide with a number of small, low barrier islands. A single natural passage through the reef had been expanded by the French, using dynamite, and led to two excellent sheltered anchorages - Teavanui Harbor and Fanui Bay. Unloading facilities initially consisted of a long wooden wharf (apparently in Fanui Bay), built pre-war. Additional wharfs were constructed by the American garrison using coconut log frames filled with coral and stone. A large refueling station, complete with additional piers, storage tanks, support facilites, etc were "quickly constructed". A 6000 foot army airfield and an aircraft assembly depot were constructed on one of the low, flat islands in the barrier reef.

Don't know exactly how to convert this to standard WITP values, but I would guess an initial port of 1-2 with a max of 3 or 4. Airfield 0 with max of 3.

Data is from "World War II Pacific Island Guide - A Geo-Military Study" by Gordon L. Rottman - ISBN 0-313-31395-4. and "Bogged Down in Bora Bora" by Ervan F. Kushner (an officer in the Garrision).

Unfortunately there is no data for Tahiti as no U.S. forces were stationed there.

Thanks for the information Don. Very useful. I'll probably go with Port 1(3), Airfield 0(3) , or maybe 0(4)?, for Bora Bora. Not so sure about Papaete, maybe 1(2) for port, 1(2) for airfield. There has to be some reason for the Allies to develop Bora Bora over Papaete.

There is also a big "TAMPAX" spelled out on the beach...perhaps too much detail for this scale.[8|]

Ron Saueracker -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/5/2004 10:08:47 PM)

WOW>>>>>>>![&o]

Bodhi -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/5/2004 11:02:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MikeKraemer

Andrew what will we need to do to adapt our scenario mods to work with this map. It appears that the X,Y coordinates of bases, some units (Those not at a base) and task forces will change. Also will the new terrain types work with the game as terrain effects are not table driven but are hard coded.

As Andrew wrote above: "There are a couple of other 'new' terrain types as well. Sand desert (some can be seen near the location of Salt lake City) and Tundra (seen throughout Northern Canada). These are just different visual representations of what will actually be swamp terrain. " So there aren't any new terrain types as such. Also the terrain types aren't hard-coded but are in fact "table-driven", all contained in the pwhex.dat file.

Bulldog61 -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/6/2004 2:37:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bodhi

quote:

As Andrew wrote above: "There are a couple of other 'new' terrain types as well. Sand desert (some can be seen near the location of Salt lake City) and Tundra (seen throughout Northern Canada). These are just different visual representations of what will actually be swamp terrain. " So there aren't any new terrain types as such. Also the terrain types aren't hard-coded but are in fact "table-driven", all contained in the pwhex.dat file.

Oops, missed that.

Andrew Brown -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/6/2004 2:48:11 PM)

quote:

I see Bodhi has already answered the question about terrain.

As for Portland - no I haven't made it a port. Its current position precludes that.

I am currently still battling my way through the addition of some new Canadian units. That is basically done. Next is to (possibly) adjust the forces in Alaska, then add a few new Soviet and Chinese units, then test the whole thing AI vs AI to see how well it works. After that I will be looking for PBEM testing volunteers.

Andrew

Ron Saueracker -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/6/2004 4:58:03 PM)

quote:

quote:

I see Bodhi has already answered the question about terrain.

As for Portland - no I haven't made it a port. Its current position precludes that.

I am currently still battling my way through the addition of some new Canadian units. That is basically done. Next is to (possibly) adjust the forces in Alaska, then add a few new Soviet and Chinese units, then test the whole thing AI vs AI to see how well it works. After that I will be looking for PBEM testing volunteers.

Andrew

You've already got my commitment if you're interested.

Captain Cruft -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/6/2004 6:23:56 PM)

This is utterly superb stuff. Thank you.

One thing. I think you need to make it clear that you can't install one mod without the other ...

Andrew Brown -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/7/2004 1:18:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Cruft

This is utterly superb stuff. Thank you.

One thing. I think you need to make it clear that you can't install one mod without the other ...

I have not made things clear enough about my two mods, as there has been a bit of confusion. When I get some more time I will add some additional explanation to the website.

My two mods are actually completely separate. They are:

1) A map mod: a new set of maps for the game. This is the big mod that is still not complete.

2) A map data file mod: This one modifies the way LCU movement works. It is available now and it can be used with the official game map (i.e it can be used now).

I hope that is clearer.

Andrew

Captain Cruft -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/7/2004 2:24:47 PM)

quote:

1) A map mod: a new set of maps for the game. This is the big mod that is still not complete.

Surely this must by definition also include a revised map data file (pwhex.dat)? That's my real question.

quote:

2) A map data file mod: This one modifies the way LCU movement works. It is available now and it can be used with the official game map (i.e it can be used now).

Ah now I see.

Once again thanks.

Don Bowen -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/7/2004 4:47:06 PM)

quote:

I hope that is clearer.

Sorry Sir, but not 100% clear when I notice your requests for data on Canadian Forces in another thread. I'm afraid I lept to the conclusion that you were doing a more comprehensive OOB mod to go with the new map. I be wrong??

Andrew Brown -> RE: Map Mod Information (12/7/2004 11:57:13 PM)

quote:

quote:

I hope that is clearer.

Sorry Sir, but not 100% clear when I notice your requests for data on Canadian Forces in another thread. I'm afraid I lept to the conclusion that you were doing a more comprehensive OOB mod to go with the new map. I be wrong??

Sorry Don. I seem to be in the habit of confusing people lately. [&:] I still haven't had time to update my web page but I hope to do so soon. The Mod #2 - the map mod - also includes SOME OOB changes to go with the new and revised bases. These changes include:

- Some new Canadian units (thus the request for help with the Canadian OOB).
- Modifications to the Alaska start OOB, based on the OOB suggestions made by Blackhorse in the OOB stickied thread.
- A few new Soviet and Chinese units.
- A few new Australian units (CD).
- A small number of other minor changes.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI