RE: RE:Game Crash in Scen 115 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

Mike Scholl -> RE: RE:Game Crash in Scen 115 (12/29/2004 6:48:42 PM)

Andrew. I failed to mention it before, but I think your map is a big improvement over the
original. I like the 2D look, as it makes the units more visable. The original has a nasty
habit of losing TF's in the printing. 2by3 seemed to have gotten caught up in making it
"pretty" rather than usable. For naything you spend hundreds of hours looking at, "pretty"
runs a poor second to "user friendly". As soon as the latest round of "bugs" is cleared up
(and you seem to be working diligently on that) I plan to shift to your map and forget the
original ever existed.

Tanaka -> RE: RE:Game Crash in Scen 115 (12/30/2004 2:17:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

Andrew. I failed to mention it before, but I think your map is a big improvement over the
original. I like the 2D look, as it makes the units more visable. The original has a nasty
habit of losing TF's in the printing. 2by3 seemed to have gotten caught up in making it
"pretty" rather than usable. For naything you spend hundreds of hours looking at, "pretty"
runs a poor second to "user friendly". As soon as the latest round of "bugs" is cleared up
(and you seem to be working diligently on that) I plan to shift to your map and forget the
original ever existed.

so how is the current testing going??? who all has used or is using this map??? comparisons/contrasts/likes/dislikes??? anymore bugs found? andrew are u planning on releasing a new version soon???

Ron Saueracker -> RE: RE:Game Crash in Scen 115 (12/30/2004 3:03:09 AM)

It seems good[:)] so far but my pace as Japan the first few turns sucks.[X(]

Andrew Brown -> RE: RE:Game Crash in Scen 115 (12/30/2004 5:15:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka
so how is the current testing going??? who all has used or is using this map??? comparisons/contrasts/likes/dislikes??? anymore bugs found? andrew are u planning on releasing a new version soon???

Sometime in the next couple of days I will be releasing a small update to the map data file which fixes a couple of things. The most important thing I found, prompted by the post from Scharnhorst, is that Clark Field in the Philippines is a coastal hex, and naval units can go there (via Bataan), even though the base itself is an 'airfield' only. I have fixed that by making Clark Field a land hex and inaccessible by ships. There are a couple of other minor map data fixes as well.

The other bug not fixed yet is that I forgot to draw in an atoll next to Kavieng (can't remember the name), so there is a dot base floating in the ocean there which can't be used. Not a killer but it is a nuisance. I have been wondering whether to simply remove the base itself, which only requires a new version of the scenario files, or add it to the map, which requires new maps.

There will also be a few small changes to the starting positions of some of the new units. e.g. there are no units currently starting at Seward in Alaska. No biggie for human players but the AI will never move units there.

I am now thinking ahead to further possible changes, some of which are really separate issues to the map itself. e.g. China seems to be chronically undersupplied. maybe a small amount of intrinsic daily supply should be added to each Chinese city?

Finally, I am thinking about a possible major modification - adding some type of British "Middle East" base to the very top left corner of the map. This would be a very big change, depending on how it is done, and so even if it gets done one day it would definitely be an optional one. I don't know if it is a good idea at all - It is just something I am kicking around in my head right now.

Andrew

Mike Scholl -> RE: RE:Game Crash in Scen 115 (12/30/2004 6:56:54 AM)

The MIDDLE EAST location (or for that matter, call it CCPG for Capetown to Cairo to the Persian Gulf sounds like an interesting idea..., but could you hold off on it while you get the rest up and going? It also sounds like something that could open a few cans-of-worms and a lot of effort to get "right". It would be nice to have a place to bring oil to India from, and some additional repair capacity and such. But it isn't vital to playing the game right now, and would seem to require a LOT of re-coding of arrival points and dates.

I think China being cronically undersupplied is supposed to represent reality. The Chinese WERE short of a lot of military supplies, which is why the "hump" was flown and the Ledo and Burma roads were built. The real problem with the game in China (and the land game in general) seems to be that both sides can accumulate enough supply to launch attacks much more frequently and to much greater extents and distances than were historically possible. Maybe what is really needed is more "wastage" of supply moving overland...

Andrew Brown -> RE: RE:Game Crash in Scen 115 (12/30/2004 7:11:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

The MIDDLE EAST location (or for that matter, call it CCPG for Capetown to Cairo to the Persian Gulf sounds like an interesting idea..., but could you hold off on it while you get the rest up and going? It also sounds like something that could open a few cans-of-worms and a lot of effort to get "right". It would be nice to have a place to bring oil to India from, and some additional repair capacity and such. But it isn't vital to playing the game right now, and would seem to require a LOT of re-coding of arrival points and dates.

The "Middle East" idea is just that - an idea. I won't be pursuing it for a while yet, and it may never happen. There would need to be a lot of discussion about pros and cons first to see whether it is even worth considering. I just thought I would mention it.

Andrew

CobraAus -> RE: RE:Game Crash in Scen 115 (12/30/2004 9:12:23 AM)

quick question before I start using THE MAP

the fix's eg Clark Field would require a release (ongoing till all found and fixed) of the map database file - will this require a restart each time to pick the fix [&:][&:] I know that changes to the map itself dont need a restart but if a restart is required it may be better to wait for those player who are testing for bugs to finish - if no resart is required
the more playing as of now would speed up the process.

A new major base at the top right hand of map would vert usefull if treated the same as San
Fran with same specs - size 10 - large repair - upgrade and conversion - this would save having to send TF's to San Fran all the way from India for Major repairs and or Conversion

even an upgrade of Karachi to San Fran capabilities would help

Cobra Aus

Andrew Brown -> RE: RE:Game Crash in Scen 115 (12/30/2004 2:27:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CobraAus

the fix's eg Clark Field would require a release (ongoing till all found and fixed) of the map database file - will this require a restart each time to pick the fix [&:][&:] I know that changes to the map itself dont need a restart but if a restart is required it may be better to wait for those player who are testing for bugs to finish - if no resart is required

Whether you need to restart or not depends on the fix:

• Changes to the map art have no in-game effect. It is just cosmetic and can be changed any time.
  • Changes to the map data can be done at any time. All you need to do is exit the running game and start it up again.
  • Changes to the scenarios require a restart, of course.

I have uploaded my new map data file to my website. I will post the link in a new thread.

Thanks for all of your comments, it is very nice to be getting some support.

Andrew

Tanaka -> RE: RE:Game Crash in Scen 115 (12/31/2004 12:05:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

It seems good[:)] so far but my pace as Japan the first few turns sucks.[X(]

noticed any big differences in gameplay???

Tanaka -> RE: RE:Game Crash in Scen 115 (12/31/2004 12:09:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: CobraAus

Whether you need to restart or not depends on the fix:

• Changes to the map art have no in-game effect. It is just cosmetic and can be changed any time.
  • Changes to the map data can be done at any time. All you need to do is exit the running game and start it up again.
  • Changes to the scenarios require a restart, of course.

I have uploaded my new map data file to my website. I will post the link in a new thread.

Thanks for all of your comments, it is very nice to be getting some support.

Andrew

andrew,

just installed your map and must say it looks much better than i thought. not bad at all. i like a lot of your ideas and the map is very colorful. i especially like the weather zones on the map. will be interesting to see how different the gameplay is. will try and test it as japan vs the allied ai at some point.

also... is Nome supposed to be in the water???

just curious...thanks!

Andrew Brown -> RE: RE:Game Crash in Scen 115 (12/31/2004 7:00:21 AM)

What scenario did you load with the new map Tanaka? The only modded scenario available with the mod package is scenario 115.

Tanaka -> RE: RE:Game Crash in Scen 115 (1/1/2005 1:28:01 AM)

quote:

What scenario did you load with the new map Tanaka? The only modded scenario available with the mod package is scenario 115.

Andrew Brown -> RE: RE:Game Crash in Scen 115 (1/2/2005 12:39:21 AM)

quote:

quote:

Do you mean that the base icon for Nome appears to be in the water? If so, that is becuase I have drawn the coastlines realistically, and I have not adjusted them to make it look like all bases are on land. The base icons are always placed in the centre of the hex by the game, so sometimes, like at Nome, it looks like they are in the sea but in game terms there is no effect - they operate normally. In game terms the hex that Nome is located in is a coastal hex and it operates that way.

Andrew

Tanaka -> RE: RE:Game Crash in Scen 115 (1/3/2005 7:21:47 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Do you mean that the base icon for Nome appears to be in the water? If so, that is becuase I have drawn the coastlines realistically, and I have not adjusted them to make it look like all bases are on land. The base icons are always placed in the centre of the hex by the game, so sometimes, like at Nome, it looks like they are in the sea but in game terms there is no effect - they operate normally. In game terms the hex that Nome is located in is a coastal hex and it operates that way.

Andrew

ok gotcha

Halsey -> RE: RE:Game Crash in Scen 115 (1/15/2005 1:31:40 PM)

Thanks Andrew!

Can you do us all a favor?

After you get all the modifications for the map and your scenarios. Can you get Spooky to post them under one heading?

I've looked at it a couple of times and wasn't sure if I had all the updates and corrections.
The way they are scattered out on his site makes it kind of daunting.[:D]

Andrew Brown -> RE: RE:Game Crash in Scen 115 (1/15/2005 2:57:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Halsey

Thanks Andrew!

Can you do us all a favor?

After you get all the modifications for the map and your scenarios. Can you get Spooky to post them under one heading?

I've looked at it a couple of times and wasn't sure if I had all the updates and corrections.
The way they are scattered out on his site makes it kind of daunting.[:D]

Hopefully Spooky only has the latest version of the various things on his site. Since the map mod is a big mod, and version 2 is a fairly big update with everything getting updated, it makes sense to have it all grouped together. If there are further updates, then the version numbers need to be specified for each update as well. I will ask him - but he may spot this comment anyway.

Andrew

Halsey -> RE: RE:Game Crash in Scen 115 (1/15/2005 3:19:31 PM)

Thanks Andrew! An old man like me needs all the help I can get![:D]

jwilkerson -> RE: Map Mod Information (1/16/2005 8:02:41 PM)

base 737 and base 734 ( both dot bases ) seem to be in the same hex 58,96 ... I assume this is unintentional.

bradfordkay -> RE: Map Mod Information (1/16/2005 8:20:33 PM)

Andrew, I just dl'ed your map and have been looking at it. A definite improvement over the original one, except in looks (it is acceptable, however).

I did notice one thing. When you hit the "R" key, it appears that the railroad stops one hex short of Darwin. Is this intentional?

Tanaka -> RE: Map Mod Information (1/16/2005 8:27:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

Andrew, I just dl'ed your map and have been looking at it. A definite improvement over the original one, except in looks (it is acceptable, however).

I did notice one thing. When you hit the "R" key, it appears that the railroad stops one hex short of Darwin. Is this intentional?

i think subchaser is working on making andrew's map look more like the game map....but andrews map looks pretty good i must say...

bradfordkay -> RE: Map Mod Information (1/16/2005 8:31:07 PM)

Yeah, the landforms are beautiful, it's the ocean and smaller islands that look like an early '90's wargame. Nothing I can't live with. And, yes, I did check to see if CobraAus' version was out. Am waiting with baited breath...

jwilkerson -> RE: Map Mod Information (1/16/2005 11:32:28 PM)

Tried scenario 116 as IJN, landed SNLF in hex 58,96 after 3 turns of attacks against no opposition, there have been no casualties but I still have not "taken" the hex. In the "official" game attacking an empty hex usually ( always ? ) results in capture ... oh and I had 90+ supply point aboard the Island each of the three turns I attacked and my disruption was under 10 for each of the three turns. So I think this hex is "broke". Not a big deal just reporting test results.

Andrew Brown -> RE: Map Mod Information (1/17/2005 1:47:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

base 737 and base 734 ( both dot bases ) seem to be in the same hex 58,96 ... I assume this is unintentional.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Andrew Brown -> RE: Map Mod Information (1/17/2005 1:49:23 AM)

quote:

Thanks. I spotted that a few days ago as well, while doing some map proofreading for version 2, so it has been fixed. This one is kind of ironic since the reason I started all of this was to "fix" the Darwin rail link.[8|]

Andrew Brown -> RE: Map Mod Information (1/17/2005 1:50:21 AM)

quote:

Yeah, the landforms are beautiful, it's the ocean and smaller islands that look like an early '90's wargame.

Guilty as charged. I used to play a lot of early '90's wargames...

Andrew Brown -> RE: Map Mod Information (1/17/2005 1:53:07 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

Tried scenario 116 as IJN, landed SNLF in hex 58,96 after 3 turns of attacks against no opposition, there have been no casualties but I still have not "taken" the hex. In the "official" game attacking an empty hex usually ( always ? ) results in capture ... oh and I had 90+ supply point aboard the Island each of the three turns I attacked and my disruption was under 10 for each of the three turns. So I think this hex is "broke". Not a big deal just reporting test results.

Thanks. There is obviously a problem with 58,96. I will check it out tonight.

I finally packaged version 2 of the mod last night for sending to Spooky. However I will have to delay that a bit longer while I chase up this problem. Once it is done then I will be sending a copy to CobraAus for his use as well.

bradfordkay -> RE: Map Mod Information (1/17/2005 6:35:32 AM)

"This one is kind of ironic since the reason I started all of this was to "fix" the Darwin rail link."

I wasn't going to mention that, but now that you have...[:'(]

Thanks for the good work. Unfortunately ([X(]) I will be flying off to Oahu for vacation tomorrow morning, so apparently I won't be able to download the map fix until I'm back. I am taking my laptop along (for WITP, of course!), but the web browser on it locks up, so no chance to get it while there. I am sure that you guys are all crying crocodile tears for me...[8D]

Edit: Do you think that I would be able to start a game on your map and then use the updated map to patch that game?

Andrew Brown -> RE: Map Mod Information (1/17/2005 7:13:19 AM)

quote:

Do you think that I would be able to start a game on your map and then use the updated map to patch that game?

Yes you can. You can update the map data at any time and games already started will use it. This only applies to transport links and terrain data though.

What you don't get is the new bases that are added to the scenarios for version 2. These are not critical, however. Also, any problems with base placement (as opposed to things like broken/missing rail lines) will NOT get fixed by the map update. As stated in this thread there are a couple of base problems with the current scenarios 115/116. If you can live with those you can coninue your game for as long as you like.

Andrew

Philbass -> RE: Map Mod Information (1/17/2005 10:10:13 AM)

Andrew,

Fantastic job on the map mod - I really appreciate your efforts.

I think I saw in another thread that you were thinking of addding Ramree Island to the map, and I just wanted to toss in another couple of other possible locations for bases/beaches that I think could be added (at the risk of play inbalance and/or cluttering the map):

Phuket Island (hex 23,41). According to the original schedule of Op ZIPPER/MAILFIST (the British landings in Malaya and reconquest of Singapore respectively), Phuket Island was to be seized as an advanced base. Thus, " For the assault on Singapore and Malaya and subsequent operations against Siam and Sumatra, a forward air, naval and general supply base was required. Phuket Island, about half-way down the Malay Peninsula was chosen." While the decision was taken to bypass Phuket, minesweeping operations were carried out off the Island in July 1945.

Simalur Island (18,44). This was chosen as an advanced naval and airbase for Op CULVERIN (the proposed landings in N Sumatra), and would have been seized 14 days in advance of the main force wading ashore on the mainland near Sabang Island. Of course CULVERIN was strategic nonsense (as the British Chiefs of Staff recognised)but was very dear to Churchill's heart. Perhaps this could be a beach hex?

Cocos Islands (erhhh...somewhere 2,000 miles SW of Singapore). I'm not sure that this even within the map boundaries, but it held by the allies throughout the war and was turned into an advanced base of Liberators in July/August 1945. As I say, I'm not sure if its even within the WITP map 'universe'.

Finally, I assume that the Chittagong/Cox's Bazaar airfield complex is built into the Chadpur hex? If not, then perhaps we could consider adding the major base for operations in the Arakan.

As I said, just chucking out ideas...

Regards,

Philip Bass

mlees -> RE: RE:Game Crash in Scen 115 (1/17/2005 10:42:03 AM)

Sir. Just loaded your Map Nod, tonight, gonna start scen 115.

Noticed that the base Victoria Point (in hex 25,39) is not connect to any road or trail to the rest of the world. (I used the "R" hot key to look at the road overlay data.) There is a road ending in the empty hex to the SW (25,40). Was Victoria Point supposed to be in that hex?

Also, the trail leaving Kuching is not fully connected to the one coming NE from Singkawang, when it is in the standard map. Was this intentional?

I apologize if these issues have already been discussed.

Keep up the good work!

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI