RE: Yet another map mod (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

von Murrin -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/1/2005 6:26:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

This is fantastic looking map everyone should have [:D] Small screenshots in the first post above don't do it justice.

Among other things it almost totally corrects the issue with 16-bit graphic display in full screen mode, as it looks great in 16-bit mode as it does in 32-bit (unlike original game map).

Subchaser, please make version wiht resources, but with no hexes.

No offense Andrew, but the only way I'd ever use your (otherwise fine) map mod is if something like this is available for it. [&o]

O.

have you downloaded his map and tried it out? i wasnt crazy about the looks either but when i actually put it in the game it looks really good a lot better than I thought and it is the most correct map out there as well!

but dont worry subchaser is converting it to his art style soon...

Andrew's is great. The pressure behind my eyeballs builds much more slowly when using his map. However, I can't wait for Subchaser's version, as using this one makes that pressure actually go away.[:D]

Ron Saueracker -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/1/2005 6:27:50 AM)

I've used it but PBEM opponents using it are still a minority. Once everyone is comfortable enough with them after they have been proven to work the old map will go the way of the Dodo.

Tanaka -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/1/2005 6:33:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

I've used it but PBEM opponents using it are still a minority. Once everyone is comfortable enough with them after they have been proven to work the old map will go the way of the Dodo.

you guys are using andrews map for your super historical scenario correct??? do u guys think you will be done with this scenario around the time 1.5 comes out??? looking forword to it! im planning on starting a pbem then and would love to use yalls scenario and map!

CobraAus -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/1/2005 6:44:09 AM)

quote:

whats the latest Cobra/Andrew on you guys version????

was sent to Spookie Last monday just have to wait till posted Andrews got his copy
sent by CD

Cobra Aus

Ron Saueracker -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/1/2005 6:52:48 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

you guys are using andrews map for your super historical scenario correct??? do u guys think you will be done with this scenario around the time 1.5 comes out??? looking forword to it! im planning on starting a pbem then and would love to use yalls scenario and map!

I've been kinda out of the loop as Don has most of what he needs now. As soon as the poor bugger gets it all edited, he'll burn us a copy for testing. Much bigger project than we originally started out doing but seeing Don's OOB efforts and his detailed merchants we were hooked. Now it's a monster....a sweet monster. Not knowing when 1.5 is due makes it hard to say when it will be ready. Awhile yet anyway.

I think it will work for both maps, stock and Andrews.

CobraAus -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/1/2005 7:00:47 AM)

quote:

I am interested to see what you ended up deciding to do with the resource markers. I am still thinking about how (or whether) to do that.

If either of you do a resource upgrade to the map could it be done as an Overlay(layer) as in the Hex Overlay, so It could be applied to other variants easily and upgraded when patches that effect values come out which could be applied easily. With an overlay (layer) the markers would not be locked to 1 map, also as to carrying out the work instead of 3 people coming out with 3 versions (waste of resourse time have 1 carry out the change (best Artist)- and send to other interested parties to apply to their own variants [&:][&:]

Cobra Aus

Andrew Brown -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/1/2005 1:21:09 PM)

quote:

This is probably the wrong thread to be talking about the combined mod and which map it is being written for......but since you asked, my current understanding is that Don will be writing the scenario for my map. After it is done, I am going to use a script to convert the scenario to the standard map. The script will be similar to the one I use to convert standard scenarios to use my map mod, except that it will work in reverse. After I get the mod it will take a while to get the script done and convert the scenario. It will probably take at least as long as converting the scenario by hand - the advantage of developing the script is that it will make it much easier to generate the "standard" version of the scenario again if it is updated.

I hope that answers your question.

Andrew Brown -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/1/2005 1:29:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CobraAus
If either of you do a resource upgrade to the map could it be done as an Overlay(layer) as in the Hex Overlay, so It could be applied to other variants easily and upgraded when patches that effect values come out which could be applied easily. With an overlay (layer) the markers would not be locked to 1 map, also as to carrying out the work instead of 3 people coming out with 3 versions (waste of resourse time have 1 carry out the change (best Artist)- and send to other interested parties to apply to their own variants [&:][&:]

Cobra Aus

I make my map up using layers, and I assume that Subchaser does the same. The only problem is that we use different programs. I think Subchaser uses Adobe Photoshop, while I use Gimp. I believe that you use Paint Shop Pro Cobra Aus? Using different programs makes sharing layers a bit tricky, and that is why I sent you the hex grids in PNG format. I haven't worked out how to include partial transparency, though, which is necessary for sending more complex layers. There might be easier ways to share layers, especially between Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop, but I don't know any more about it.

I especially like the font Subchaser uses for the base names, and one day I will have a go at using a similar font for my map. Could be a while, though, before I get around to it. If/when it ever gets done, and if/when I work out how to send layers in a more useful way I will send you a copy.

Oliver Heindorf -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/1/2005 1:39:49 PM)

quick question :

Can I use Subchasers Map alone on my pbem games or does my opponent have to use it as well ?

if I understand, subchasers map is only graphical, so I *think* it should work, right ?

thank you

PS : GREAT WORK SUBCHASER !

Andrew Brown -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/1/2005 1:56:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oliver Heindorf

quick question :

Can I use Subchasers Map alone on my pbem games or does my opponent have to use it as well ?

if I understand, subchasers map is only graphical, so I *think* it should work, right ?

thank you

PS : GREAT WORK SUBCHASER !

Since I just saw this I will answer on Subchaser's behalf: You are correct - as long as you do not touch the map data file you can use whatever map GRAPHICS files you like. The game uses the map data file for the actual gameplay, not the graphics files. Subchaser's map only replaces the map graphics/art, not the map data file, so it does not need to be installed by both players in PBEM.

Oliver Heindorf -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/1/2005 2:15:37 PM)

yeehaw ! Thank you Andrew !

scout1 -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/1/2005 2:40:05 PM)

quote:

Main features:
• New water area colors and costal/shallow waters borders
• New fonts.
• Hex grid visible only over the water hexes.
• Resources/Industries symbols.

The resource/industries symbols intriques me. Are these static in that they only reflect the values/information for the start of the game ? Changes made to these during a game is not reflected. Is this true ? If not, ow are you accessing in-game parameters ?

Andrew Brown -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/1/2005 2:40:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oliver Heindorf

yeehaw ! Thank you Andrew !

Actually - I do need to add a major caveat to my previous answer: Although a PBEM game will work identically if only one player loads Subchaser's map, there is still a problem. Subchaser has made some modifications to the map art, such as the location of some railways, to correct mismatches between the original map art and the map data. If only one player uses his map, then there will be some discrepancies in what the players SEE on the map, even though the underlying map DATA will be the same.

As an example, where Subchaser has altered a railway line to match the map data (as shown by using the "R" key in the game), then the player using his map will see the railway line on the map match the location that the game considers it to be in. The other player, who is using the original map, will see the railway drawn in the wrong location - as it has always been on the original map - although the "R" key will show the railway in the same place for both players.

As long as both PBEM players are aware of these differences in the map graphics, then there should not be a problem. Read the documentation that Subchaser has provided to see the list of the graphical fixes he added to his map.

Oliver Heindorf -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/1/2005 4:16:29 PM)

thank you Andrew ! [:)]

Apollo11 -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/1/2005 4:44:24 PM)

Hi all,

_GREAT_ map and _FANTASTIC_ work - thanks a lot!!!

Leo "Apollo11"

Subchaser -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/1/2005 7:29:41 PM)

Now I see the problem. WITN11.bmp is missing. Probably was damaged when archive was splitted. So variant with hexes/symbols is complete and one file is missing(damaged) in no-hexes variant.

Sorry for inconveniences. You can download that missing file from here:

DOWNLOAD WITN11

I hope Spooky will upload new archive or this file alone .

Thanks for you comments gentlemen! It’s appreciated.

Subchaser -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/1/2005 7:32:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: scout1

The resource/industries symbols intriques me. Are these static in that they only reflect the values/information for the start of the game ?

they are static, they’re part of map, just a graphic. Take a look at sample #2 (link in the first post in this thread or on Spooky’s site), see places like Palembang, Tarakan have symbol panels, yellow round, green round and white square, this indicates presence of oil, resources and manpower center at these bases, but no detailed values. It impossible to implement this in dynamic form without modding exe file, code needed here.

Spooky -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/1/2005 8:26:39 PM)

It is now corrected !!!!

Thanks for your help ... and sorry for the inconvenience

Cap Mandrake -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/1/2005 8:53:26 PM)

Looks fantastic. I like the muted hexsides and the more readable placenames. Ditto on the plane graphics for airfields and the textured, ?burlap? thingy at the bottom. Cool LED's on the industrial centers too.

I still dont understand why rail lines have to be so evidently hexagon-based (I know it was a decision to allow distinguishability form roads, but it seems this ought to be surmountable)

When is the retro, sepia toned, map coming out? [;)]

Subchaser -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/2/2005 10:03:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

You mean reworked Andrew Brown’s map. I hope next month… there is a lot of work actually, so I can't say for sure.

Andrew Brown -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/2/2005 2:17:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Subchaser

quote:

You mean reworked Andrew Brown’s map. I hope next month… there is a lot of work actually, so I can't say for sure.

CobraAus has done a sepia toned version of my map. It has been sent to Spooky but I am not sure if/when it will be available. I have seen it though, it is very nice.

jhdeerslayer -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/2/2005 5:49:01 PM)

This is a great map and actually helped me find a resource place I missed as I am ashamed to say as the Jap's. Sending some AK's as now...

A hexless version of the resources would be awesome also!

Thanks again!

Rocco -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/2/2005 6:50:40 PM)

I like it too. I was hoping that Kid would finish his map mod, but he doesn't have to now as this does it all and more.

Thanks a ton

scout1 -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/2/2005 7:18:25 PM)

Very Sweet [:D][:D][:D]

A good looking map that I can actually read the base names EASILY.

Cap Mandrake -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/2/2005 9:29:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Subchaser

quote:

CobraAus has done a sepia toned version of my map. It has been sent to Spooky but I am not sure if/when it will be available. I have seen it though, it is very nice.

Cool. [8D] I will install it and run String of Pearls in the background

medicff -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/2/2005 10:43:53 PM)

[&o]
Very nice Subchaser, have been using it. Easy on the eyes (not that I need it[:D])

scout1 -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/3/2005 1:10:00 AM)

has anyone had any issues with this map mod ?

I ask this because some very strange things just occured to a combat reply for one of my pbem games. Loaded the map (gorgous), loaded my save game file and it started through the combat replay. Then some very strange things happened. The first was the text displayed in the lower left corner of the screen which tells what is going on, what pase you're in started ok until it filled up. Then it just continued to overwrite the updates on the old info. Also, during the replay, it is common for the screnn to jump around to different locations to show what is happening, this time i got a case of the "split screens" Multiple images appeared to be overlapping, typically slightly offset from one another (ie it had a general location of Truk on one image, the other shown was slight shifted by a few hexes and shown as well. I could see multiple aircraft flight paths (one on each image for the same strike). Also, could save the game file after the replay. Gave me a can not save.bmp or something. Then it just closed out completely.
Attached is a screen shot as it was progressing through. Any thoughts ?

[image][/image]

Oleg Mastruko -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/3/2005 1:16:55 AM)

Map mods such as Andrej-Subchaser's are completely, utterly harmless. It's just a bunch of BMP files - for as much as game EXE cares, you can replace map BMP files with empty white graphics: game would work just the same, only you would not know what goes on [:D]

If you have any issues with map mods, then it may be due to your PC memory being corrupted, graphic card having problems etc. but it is most probably same problems you would have if using "regular" game maps, or any other maps.

Advice: just restart the PC, let it clear it's RAM, and I guess it won't be happening again.

O.

Subchaser -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/3/2005 1:34:32 AM)

I agree with Oleg, it’s RAM or videocard issue, it can’t damage your data or hardware, don’t worry. However with my mod possibility of such anomalies is greater than with original map, reason – all graphic stuff requires RAM, the bigger it is then more RAM required. My map is considerably larger than original (in order to run fine in 32bit mode), so if you don’t have PC powerful enough I recommend to uninstall my mod and return to original one. Let me know – I will send you original map (via free server), if you didn’t back up those files. I’m very sorry I did not expect such hassle… my comp is a monster, it runs two WitPs with my mod just okay and I have never seen this

bilbow -> RE: Yet another map mod (2/3/2005 1:55:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: medicff

[&o]
Very nice Subchaser, have been using it. Easy on the eyes (not that I need it[:D])

I also think the map is a nice improvement. And I do need the easy-on-the-eyes part.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI