False Quote (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Julius Caesar

jbud70 -> False Quote (4/29/2005 3:39:39 AM)

This quote on the product page . . .

“Beware of the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch … the citizenry … will offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so. How will I know? For this I have done. And I am Julius Caesar.”

. . . is in fact a false quote. No evidence has ever been found that Julius Caesar even spoke or wrote it and in fact the quote only started to appear in 2001. It is thought to be a clever fabrication created as a reaction to the current war on terror.

Not intended to be flamebait, just thought I'd put it out there for the sake of historical accuracy.

Josh

Erik Rutins -> RE: False Quote (4/29/2005 5:13:49 AM)

Josh,

Embarrassing if true, I should have double-checked that one. If so, we'll remove it from future versions and replace it with a historical quote but we're stuck with it for now.

Regards,

- Erik

Adam Parker -> RE: False Quote (4/29/2005 8:08:44 AM)

My great, great, grandfather knew this Italian guy who was there... and he heard it.

Warfare1 -> RE: False Quote (4/29/2005 8:23:04 AM)

quote:

Beware of the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch … the citizenry … will offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so. How will I know? For this I have done. And I am Julius Caesar.

I found this quote listed here:

http://en.thinkexist.com/quotes/julius_caesar/

Not sure if Caesar said it or not.

pasternakski -> RE: False Quote (4/29/2005 9:35:46 AM)

Your source is pure, 24-karat, unadulterated bullsh1t.

Warfare1 -> RE: False Quote (4/29/2005 4:21:10 PM)

Without actual proof, just saying something is true or false, does not make it so.

So, I did some more digging.

It would appear that the quote by Caesar is indeed FALSE.

The issue is explained here:

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/caesar.htm

Although the site below, as well as many more sites (including the "think exist" site above) continue to perpetuate this myth:

http://www.cafepress.com/posters_tshirts.17307964

Erik Rutins -> RE: False Quote (4/29/2005 5:19:50 PM)

Thanks for the link, Warfare1. Fortunately, the game was better researched than the box text. [;)]

Appreciate the clarification everyone, we'll update the text with a historical quote in the near future.

Regards,

- Erik

Warfare1 -> RE: False Quote (4/29/2005 5:29:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Thanks for the link, Warfare1. Fortunately, the game was better researched than the box text. [;)]

Appreciate the clarification everyone, we'll update the text with a historical quote in the near future.

Regards,

- Erik

My pleasure.

I can easily understand the mistake though. When I was trying to find answers for it, I found more than two dozen sites that attributed that quote to Caesar.

Hanal -> RE: False Quote (4/29/2005 5:50:50 PM)

How about giving Jbud the appropriate thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention in the first place?.....for a first post, he did a great job........

Deride -> RE: False Quote (4/29/2005 6:31:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbud70
. . . is in fact a false quote.

Josh,

It turns out that I am one the one to blame [:(]

I actually got the quote from a fairly respected quote site, and I really like it. Looks like we are going to have to switch it out with something acurate.

Thanks for the catch,
Deride

Erik Rutins -> RE: False Quote (4/29/2005 9:18:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon
How about giving Jbud the appropriate thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention in the first place?.....for a first post, he did a great job........

Agreed, good catch Josh. For future printings, we're going to go with a more famous classic JC quote.

Regards,

- Erik

Adam Parker -> RE: False Quote (4/30/2005 3:28:29 AM)

But nothing is certain until the esteemed BBC confirms otherwise:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/showbiz/2292029.stm

Going by how much Streisand's quote helped to raise that night, Matrix may want to keep it [:'(]

Erik Rutins -> RE: False Quote (4/30/2005 6:10:04 AM)

My goodness, there's a long history with that quote, just of a different kind than we thought.

Regards,

- Erik

jbud70 -> RE: False Quote (4/30/2005 8:32:35 AM)

Your welcome. I was not expecting such a response to this post. Glad to see you guys take responsibility and take action, it seems to be a rare trait nowadays.

Marc von Martial -> RE: False Quote (4/30/2005 9:30:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

But nothing is certain until the esteemed BBC confirms otherwise:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/showbiz/2292029.stm

Going by how much Streisand's quote helped to raise that night, Matrix may want to keep it [:'(]

Yeah right, as long as the context fits suit and the word are "beautiefully" written, hey just put a famous name behind it and it`s okay to missquote and make stuff up [;)][8|]

Here´s my quote:

"Those who are payed by applause and perform on stage should shut the f.. up when it comes to realworld performance, for they do not know what the realword is." Oliver Stone

Hard Sarge -> RE: False Quote (6/8/2005 2:45:00 PM)

quote:

"Those who are payed by applause and perform on stage should shut the f.. up when it comes to realworld performance, for they do not know what the realword is." Oliver Stone

hmmm, funny, seems like he should follow his own advice then

HARD_Sarge

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI