Pics of your workstation (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

DamoclesX -> Pics of your workstation (8/11/2005 1:11:25 PM)

Got my dig working today, took some pics, figured it would be cool to see where people work/play and what they use.

My rig.

P4C 3.04gig
2gig 400mhz duel channel
550GIG total storage
DVDBurner
Radeon 9800pro(I know I know..)
Soundblaster 7.1 audy 2

Cooling
Thermaltake case
Zalman 6 Speed controler with led rpm
80mm Tornado 55CFM-110CFM exhast fan
1x80mm Exhast fan
2x 92mm side intakes
1x 120mm front intake

X120 Cpu heatsink + 110CFM 120mm Fan
Various other aftermarket heatsinks/ram chips/HDD Cooling systems/video card cooling systems

I got a sweet cable sleaving kit in the mail yesterday, so when I can afford to take my puter down for a good afternoon i'mgonna sleave up all the cables, reduce some flow blockadge.

right now I run between 29C to 33C Idle and 33C - 38C under max load
The ambient temp is around 25C

[image]local://upfiles/11665/499F66B561854429BF7D9F7C1F5532E3.jpg[/image]

DamoclesX -> RE: Pics of your workstation (8/11/2005 1:12:38 PM)

Other pic, got them switched up lol

[image]local://upfiles/11665/682A9117B8874FE4919CEBCFCA48ACBA.jpg[/image]

Terminus -> RE: Pics of your workstation (8/11/2005 1:24:03 PM)

Everytime I see someone with clear panels in their computer cabinets, I always have one question: "WHY? WHAT'S THE POINT?"

DamoclesX -> RE: Pics of your workstation (8/11/2005 1:34:04 PM)

The same reason everybody does everything

Cause they can:)[:D]

Greyshaft -> RE: Pics of your workstation (8/12/2005 12:49:39 AM)

Maybe you could hide a flat panel display INSIDE your box with a screensaver of an acquarium.

Now that would work as a heat sink.

Terminus -> RE: Pics of your workstation (8/12/2005 12:54:02 AM)

Or maybe a screensaver of an avalanche down a mountainside. Would make his 'puter positively COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!![sm=00000117.gif]

DamoclesX -> RE: Pics of your workstation (8/12/2005 12:57:17 AM)

[8|]

Prunes...

tsk tsk

lol

Terminus -> RE: Pics of your workstation (8/12/2005 1:00:42 AM)

What's a "prun"? That a technical term in the world of computer graphics, DX?[;)]

EDIT: Aah, just can't spell, eh?

DamoclesX -> RE: Pics of your workstation (8/12/2005 1:09:00 AM)

Yes.. yes it is.. and only I know what it means

bahahahahahahahhaah

lol!

rhondabrwn -> RE: Pics of your workstation (8/12/2005 5:46:24 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Everytime I see someone with clear panels in their computer cabinets, I always have one question: "WHY? WHAT'S THE POINT?"

Well, it lets me visually check that the CPU cooler fan is running (though if it did shut down, the computer would probably be fried by the time I noticed! [:D]

Speaking of internal computer screensavers, I think a shot of the droids from "Silent Running" walking around computer components with welding torches to keep everything running would be really cute. (anyone but me remember that movie?).

Greyshaft -> Silent Running (8/12/2005 5:51:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn
Speaking of internal computer screensavers, I think a shot of the droids from "Silent Running" walking around computer components with welding torches to keep everything running would be really cute. (anyone but me remember that movie?).

I remember. Loved the "dune buggy" races in the garden zone. Which carrier was it filmed on?

rhondabrwn -> RE: Silent Running (8/12/2005 5:59:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

I remember. Loved the "dune buggy" races in the garden zone. Which carrier was it filmed on?

Good question! I did recently add a copy to my library so maybe something is listed in the credits. Probably just a cargo ship anchored somewhere. [;)]

I always remembered the Joan Baez song that plays during the movie and supported the pro-environmental theme. I would never watch it for Bruce Dern - although I'm sure he's a nice guy, when I see him in a movie (even as a "good guy") he just gives me the creeps. Some kind of irrational emotional response, I guess. [&:]

Hanal -> RE: Silent Running (8/12/2005 6:17:55 AM)

Here is a pic of my screen after I finally deleted some of stuff off it to reduce the clutter...now I need to do that to my workstation....[:)]

[image]local://upfiles/10580/F4EA901A3F074F4B965F002929AB1199.jpg[/image]

ilovestrategy -> RE: Silent Running (8/12/2005 6:19:49 AM)

AMD 2200 1.8 Ghz
1 gig kingston ram
GeoForce 256 MB 5700LE vid card
80 Gig Hard Drive
17" LCD Monitor
Saitek Gamers Keyboard(Best keyboard I've ever used in 10 years of gaming)

DamoclesX -> RE: Silent Running (8/12/2005 6:22:37 AM)

Hey,

I noticed when I bought my ram there was a TON of different kinds(not just the speeds I know about that) but like kingston, value select and all those

some where nearly 2x what I paid for the same speed/size

whats the deal with that?

ilovestrategy -> RE: Silent Running (8/12/2005 6:25:42 AM)

Oh thats like Best Buy will have the exact same brand name and type and it will be 2x the price for the exact same thing at a local comp shop.

Zakhal -> RE: Silent Running (8/12/2005 9:48:38 AM)

My equipment:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
1gig 333MHz single channel
370gig total storage (5 year guarantee)
DVD burner (burns anything)
Radeon 9800 pro
SB live value 4.0 (still much better than integrated)
Creative Inspire P5800 72W 5.1 (autotransfers 4.0->5.1 + plugin for the TV)
Stereo headphones (som other people dont seem to enjoy 5.1)
19" 99G LG monitor
28" TV (tv-out)
MS natural keyboard
MS optical mouse
MS sidewinder 3D (still works after 8? years)
MS Force Feedback 2 (last of its kind)
Thrustmaster Racing wheel&gearstick&footpedals (got it extra cheap 15€)
Antec SLK3700-BQE Black Quiet Super (120mm fans)

The case is kind of asfalt-black. Speakers, volume control, dvd drive, TV etc
are all black too to match the colors. Only few green lights flash from the
equipment (power, speaker volume&bass control, etc). Theres also two stickers on the case
just to fill it a little (AMD64+Antec).

As a whole it looks more like somthing that might fit the living room instead of
been som weird flashy machine of a mad scientist in som 60's scifi movie[:D].

Marc von Martial -> RE: Silent Running (8/12/2005 11:30:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DamoclesX

Hey,

I noticed when I bought my ram there was a TON of different kinds(not just the speeds I know about that) but like kingston, value select and all those

some where nearly 2x what I paid for the same speed/size

whats the deal with that?

There´s low quality RAM and good quality RAM. Cheap is not allways good, especially with RAM, cheap RAM can cause nothing but problems.

So go and buy Kingston (not the value stuff) or Infineon RAM, they actually have quality and warranty that doesn´t suck. There´s also special RAM for those guys that like to overclock, Corsair comes to my mind here.

Typicall, a "cool" case with lights galore but no clue about the integral stuff that makes up a decent workstation [;)][:'(]

And why to you put your case next to your ears ?

DamoclesX -> RE: Silent Running (8/12/2005 1:37:40 PM)

Its quite and we have dust problems in my city, keeping it elevated helps a lot, not to mention it keeps it away from the cat.

I know the next thing is "get filters" but they massivly defeat the purpose of good airflow

I was always under the impression that the more expensive ram was just setup to have better memory timeing rates allowing for greater stability when you were overclocking your bus speed and didnt wanted to kick up your ram speed along with it. Like mine, the oc potential is nil, anything over 400mhz and she wont even post so I have to force the ram to stay at 400mhz if I click up the bus speed.
Fortunatly my next computer comes with the multiplyer unlocked so I can play even more!

That a cool warrenty and oh ya, I forgot , the 25% extra you pay for a brand name:) Got to love that lol.

I have run all the benchmarks I can with my ram and its up there if not better then th kingston and other ram types, so while that does not mean its "better" it means it can easly preform at there level in the proper enviroment.

Mind you, this discussion is moot because the duel core intel i"m looking at needs freaking ram that will cost me nearly 600$ for 2 gigs.

Oh and, Ive probably forgotten more about computers and how they work then you ever knew:) Degree remember:)[:D][:D][:D][:D]

DamoclesX -> RE: Silent Running (8/12/2005 1:41:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

My equipment:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
1gig 333MHz single channel
370gig total storage (5 year guarantee)
DVD burner (burns anything)
Radeon 9800 pro
SB live value 4.0 (still much better than integrated)
Creative Inspire P5800 72W 5.1 (autotransfers 4.0->5.1 + plugin for the TV)
Stereo headphones (som other people dont seem to enjoy 5.1)
19" 99G LG monitor
28" TV (tv-out)
MS natural keyboard
MS optical mouse
MS sidewinder 3D (still works after 8? years)
MS Force Feedback 2 (last of its kind)
Thrustmaster Racing wheel&gearstick&footpedals (got it extra cheap 15€)
Antec SLK3700-BQE Black Quiet Super (120mm fans)

The case is kind of asfalt-black. Speakers, volume control, dvd drive, TV etc
are all black too to match the colors. Only few green lights flash from the
equipment (power, speaker volume&bass control, etc). Theres also two stickers on the case
just to fill it a little (AMD64+Antec).

As a whole it looks more like somthing that might fit the living room instead of
been som weird flashy machine of a mad scientist in som 60's scifi movie[:D].

Mad scientist eh, I like this!!

do those natural keyboards help? I have avoided them for a long time but for the frist time I"m finding my hands are actually started to feel sore . It could be how this thing is setup, having the keyboard to low, but I dunno

I saw a case once, that looked like a subwoofer, it was nutz but it would fit in perfectly with a dood that has lots of stereo equipment

DamoclesX -> RE: Silent Running (8/12/2005 1:42:03 PM)

Terminus -> RE: Silent Running (8/12/2005 1:44:06 PM)

Natural keyboards help immensely, once you've gotten used to them. I've had one for years, and I swear by it. Normal keyboards I just swear AT![;)]

Marc von Martial -> RE: Silent Running (8/12/2005 2:40:02 PM)

quote:

That a cool warrenty and oh ya, I forgot , the 25% extra you pay for a brand name:) Got to love that lol.

I have run all the benchmarks I can with my ram and its up there if not better then th kingston and other ram types, so while that does not mean its "better" it means it can easly preform at there level in the proper enviroment.

I´m not speaking of performance I speak of stability. It´s no secret that low quality RAM can cause a lot of instability and compatibility issues.

Some noname value RAM goes poof and you try to return it, well have fun [;)]. Kingston and Infineon RAM for example have a proper return policy and warranty.

DamoclesX -> RE: Silent Running (8/13/2005 8:23:26 AM)

Ya, that is a very good thing to have, I know if my ram goes poof I'm poofed out of cash to.

Im going to be going the high quality ram on my next buildup, it just struck me as odd when I found a stick of 512 for 145$ and I had bought my DUEL 512 sticks for 120$ total lol

I have never heard of Infineon but everybody I know talks about how good Kingston is

Terminus -> RE: Silent Running (8/13/2005 9:05:08 PM)

Infineon is a German chip maker.

Marc von Martial -> RE: Silent Running (8/14/2005 11:49:24 AM)

quote:

I have never heard of Infineon but everybody I know talks about how good Kingston is

Kingston makes quality stuff. If you ever need mobile memory like a CF-2 or SD card you won´t make a mistake with Kingston either.

rhondabrwn -> Crucial RAM (8/14/2005 8:52:55 PM)

I filled my workstation with three sticks of budget Crucial RAM (3 X 256) and it has served me well over the past two years. However, I do have to put up with my "bitchin' Betty" announcing "System Failed Memory Test - Now Booting from Operating System" on every 3rd or 4th cold boot. I think the POST is detecting that this RAM is marginal, but running system scans has never found a problem.

So I ignore it, but will probably go with some high end RAM when I build my 64 bit machine this winter.

Terminus -> RE: Crucial RAM (8/14/2005 8:54:25 PM)

So long as it doesn't say, "System Failed Memory Test - Self Destruct Sequence Initiated. Have a nice day!"

DamoclesX -> RE: Crucial RAM (8/15/2005 5:03:56 AM)

^LOL

I used to have a problem with ain isntall of windows, for some reason one of the spoolers would just shut down for no reason, and when it would I would get like

Your computer has preformed an illegal action
system shutdown in 60 seconds
please save all your work and close your
programs

no kidding, then a freaking clock would count down to 0 and the damn computer would shut off, no mattter what I did I couldnt abort that damn shutoff or close it down

It drove me freaking insane to the point where I ERASED my os hdd and re-installed from scratch.

rhondabrwn -> RE: Crucial RAM (8/15/2005 6:33:46 AM)

[:D] My son's CPU would announce that it was "shutting down due to computer overspeed" when booting up. The problem was that the BIOS wasn't set to over-clock or even on "aggressive" settings. However, once he did change it to "aggressive settings" then the computer would boot OK without the "computer overspeed" message. The strange thing was that the next time it happened, the BIOS settings would be back to "normal" even when it hadn't been changed.

We both have the same ASUS A78NX motherboards, but although I've been happy with my board generally, they were 1st revision boards and I wish I had waited till they got more of the bugs out. Now we can't even update the BIOS because they all require the 1.04 version board (or higher). Well, that is always the cost of being on the bleeding edge of technology, even when the reviews are raving about something! [:-]

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI