In praise of 2 day turns (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

RUPD3658 -> In praise of 2 day turns (9/28/2005 7:30:11 PM)

I am currently playing 2 PBEMs and one game vs the AI using 2 day turns. I had used multiple day turns in past games vs the AI when little was happening but switched back to 1 day turns when things got important. I am now staying with the 2 day turn regardless.

For those who have not tried this I strongly recommend it as I have found it makes for a totally different and more challenging game.

I have found that it takes away some of the ability to micromanage without eliminating it. There is no way a real commander would have had the level of control that 1 days turns allow.

It slows the hyperactive pace of the game and limits unrealistic things such as land, take base, reload, take next base type actions only 1 day apart.

It makes the game go quicker since you need only issue orders every other turn.

It adds another level of complexity to the planning phase since you must think 2 turns in advance rather than being able to quickly respod to unexpected situations.

So, for a more challenging game I strongly recommed trying 2 day turns out.

Any comments/opinions are welcome.

mc3744 -> RE: In praise of 2 day turns (9/28/2005 8:14:59 PM)

Uhm, uhm ... sounds interesting.

NO WAY!!!! [:D]

I love micromanagement, I actually want more [;)]

panda124c -> RE: In praise of 2 day turns (9/28/2005 8:44:13 PM)

mc3744 we have just the thing for you a World War II Game (All theaters) done in 15 minute turns. With Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner scheduling. [:D]

Rob322 -> RE: In praise of 2 day turns (9/29/2005 12:23:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pbear

mc3744 we have just the thing for you a World War II Game (All theaters) done in 15 minute turns. With Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner scheduling. [:D]

Until resting your LCU means personally getting each and every soldier (each w/23 skill characteristics) fed, filled with liquor, sent into the brothel, and then tucked into bed we will not have micromanaging. [:D]

Knavey -> RE: In praise of 2 day turns (9/29/2005 12:48:29 AM)

Hate 2 day turns...too easy to exploit.

Want to invade, test the waters and retreat before your opponent can do anything about it? Play 2 day turns.

Want to exploit the fact that your opponent cannot give orders to his ships on the first turn KB is spotted approaching Noumea which gives you plenty of time to launch the port attack? - Play 2 day turns.

Want to run your TFs through the Naval Search areas and into the deep backwaters where your opponent no longer can see you? - Play 2 day turns.

Want to exploit the ZoCs of LCUs? - Play 2 day turns.

None of these are exploits in 1 day turns, but they make it impossible to defend against them in 2 day turns.

Playing 2 day turns against an opponent who knows the game mechanics and you will get your forces handed to you in body bags.

As you can see, I don't really care for 2 day turns.

mc3744 -> RE: In praise of 2 day turns (9/29/2005 12:50:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob322

quote:

Until resting your LCU means personally getting each and every soldier (each w/23 skill characteristics) fed, filled with liquor, sent into the brothel, and then tucked into bed we will not have micromanaging. [:D]

You forgot about cleaning their weapons [;)]

Captain Cruft -> RE: In praise of 2 day turns (9/29/2005 1:54:22 AM)

Having played both I agree with Knavey.

Actually, I now think 1 day turns are far too long ;)

madmickey -> RE: In praise of 2 day turns (9/29/2005 2:15:40 AM)

I think it may make a better game but less realistic. In WITP you job is from Theater commander to PT TF commander. You will not wait an extra day to repel invasion.

Stuffedlogon -> RE: In praise of 2 day turns (9/29/2005 3:26:02 AM)

I for one think that one day turns need to be broken down further to say 12 hour turns.

Damien Thorn -> RE: In praise of 2 day turns (9/29/2005 4:43:31 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stuffedlogon

I for one think that one day turns need to be broken down further to say 12 hour turns.

Sure, why not? I've got nothing planned for the next five to ten years. [8|]

LargeSlowTarget -> RE: In praise of 2 day turns (9/29/2005 10:49:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mc3744

quote:

quote:

And the other two utmost important issues - shaving and spit-shining the boots... [:-]

Mark VII -> RE: In praise of 2 day turns (9/29/2005 6:02:21 PM)

I love the 2day turn, been playing that way since UV. Own a house and have other things to do so don't live at the computer and two day turns allows some progress in the game. Also think it allows a more realistic sense of command and control issues.

I don't play to exploit and neither have my opponents during these years. When invading an atoll there is an automatic shock attack at the end of each day so nothing tricky there. Non atoll landings there will normally be an automatic artillery counterattack but yes you could time your landing to the first phase of day one of the two day turn and make a assault counterattack more difficult. Normally I just send the TF's to the target base and they land when they get there. If heavily defended I will effort to land no later than dawn of day two of the turn to give my guys a chance to get ashore with some strength. Loitering at sea to time a invasion can expose your transports to more air/naval attacks.

And yes, carrier and bombardment raids can be made by carefull timing of the TF run in but that was done all the time in real life. recon...recon...recon.

Wouldn't play any other way unless I win the powerball and no longer need a job.[:D]

BlackVoid -> RE: In praise of 2 day turns (9/29/2005 9:17:48 PM)

I like 2 day turns.

People who complain about exploiting: I would not play you, if this is the first thing that comes to your mind. 2 day turns are perfectly fine if the participants are not looking to exploit it.

It actually forces you to play more realistically. If you spot KB approaching Noumea, with 2 day turns you cannot concentrate all your air force at the place for next turn - which is gamey and possible with 1 day turns. If onw of your bases is bombed, with 2 day turns you cannot bring in 200 fighters for next turn - again very gamey and possible with 1 day turns.

And so on. 1 and 2 play turns each has its pros and cons.

Rob322 -> RE: In praise of 2 day turns (9/29/2005 9:43:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: mc3744

quote:

quote:

And the other two utmost important issues - shaving and spit-shining the boots... [:-]

You guys are underachievers [:D][;)]

I want individual seeds of wheat, grown by farming "LCU's" that I then have to have processed into bread to feed my troops. I see no reason why we can't track logistics down to each loaf of bread, each bullet, and each shoelace. When I look at the 769th US Tank Battalion and see 3 Shremans are disabled then I want to know precisely why, did one throw a track for example? And if so, what's the ETA (in minutes) in getting it back in service. [:D][;)]

Ok, back on topic. I support two day turns simply because we the players are directing a theatre of war, we're like Nimitz and MacArthur and Mountbatten and Chiang Kai Shek all rolled into one. I love this game but those commanders obviously weren't crazy enough to allow themselves to be subsumed by such a level of detail and playing two day turns helps a little to create that feeling.

jhdeerslayer -> RE: In praise of 2 day turns (9/29/2005 9:55:28 PM)

I have a PBEM going with two days turn, and though at first reluctant, I like it as it gives you somewhat of a decent chance to actually come close to finishing a game.

RUPD3658 -> RE: In praise of 2 day turns (9/29/2005 9:57:32 PM)

quote:

You guys are underachievers [:D][;)]

I want individual seeds of wheat, grown by farming "LCU's" that I then have to have processed into bread to feed my troops. I see no reason why we can't track logistics down to each loaf of bread, each bullet, and each shoelace.

This will be covered in Matrix Games's new release "Quartermaster of the Pacific". There will be no combat to the game. Your job is to respond to the constantly changing supply needs of the troops in the field. Combat reports will be relaced by invoices and animations will be of supplies being loaded onto ships and trucks.

To win you must build ware houses and supply chains across the Pacific using your elite garatroopers. You will score points for keeping troops fed and bonus points for getting "Special items" such as booze and nylons to the troops. You must also make sure that you don't send part#1234567/z to troops that need part#1234567/x or very bad things will happen.

This game can only be played as the Allies since the Japanese have no supply system. [:D]

Drugs for obessive/compulsive disorder will be prescribed for anyone who manages to complete a full game. [:'(]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI