(Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Ed Cogburn -> (3/29/2001 3:01:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by Grumble: Downsizing is not an issue, if you consider that by doing that the scale and number of missions is also downsized. Despite what the DoD pogues who write these slogans think, "More with Less" violates basic logic. You do "Less with Less".
Yes, but it seems to me that the demands placed on the military have not gone down, as the military shrank. We've got guys playing cop all over the planet. And I think you and I know what gets hurt the most when the money gets tight: soldier pay, maintenence to some degree, but most of all, training.

Ed Cogburn -> (3/29/2001 3:06:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by Frank: Ed, I do like flame wars, sometimes, but I do like a civiliced discussion with friendly people, too.
Sorry, can't help myself. The mass sterilization thing was a zinger that I can't get out of my head. Are you sure this was really in textbooks? High school, college?

frank1970 -> (3/29/2001 5:15:00 PM)

It was Gymnasium (I think that is a kind of combination of College and Highschool). The chapter was about the ideas some people had what should happen to Germany after the capitulation. It was a collection of very unrealistic or cruel or just stupid ideas some persons had. All this ideas were never considered to be done. The chapter was made for us pupils so we could see what could happen when you are nationalistic and flame the world with war.

Grumble -> (3/29/2001 10:56:00 PM)

quote:

We have not heard anything about a lost Tornado yet! Bloody Defence Minister
It was in "Bild" a few days ago: http://www.bild.com/ Happened Friday Night, well Saturday Morning actually.

Akmatov -> (3/30/2001 6:15:00 AM)

Sorry Ed if the Clinton comment offended. After the end of the Cold War there was going to be some sort of down-sizing, should have been. However, I feel the Clinton administration rather over did it. And then they discovered the 'possibilities' of using the military to impliment a variety of non-traditional missions, or at least missions the troops weren't trained for. Bush Sr., George I, seemed to be more thoughtful and careful about assigning missions to the military. Down-sizing was appropriate, just should have been done better. Grumble, grumble. :)

Akmatov -> (3/30/2001 6:29:00 AM)

Vielen Dank Frank. Sie ist eine wunderbare Frau und ich bin ein sehr glucklicker Mann. I've been to 'Graf' only a couple of times. The area is very beautiful, very different from the high desert here in Arizona. However, there are a surprising number of Germans around here. Both Tucson and Fort Huachuca, south of here, have German bakeries owned by German families. My wife loves the climate, she enjoys being warm on a regular basis :) But we both miss the forests very much. Tschus

frank1970 -> (3/30/2001 12:53:00 PM)

Yes, we have a lot of forests over here. The climate should be little other, too, I think. Here in Grafenwöhr we have below -20°C for at least two weeks in January. Therefore Grafenwöhr is known as "Bavarian Sibiria"! :D I hope you had to have your exercises in July! While my tour of duty my company commander told us there are three possible conditions in Grafenwöhr: icy, dusty and muddy. In winter you can have all of them in one day. There are rumors that the US want to move a military unit from somewhere in Hessen to Grafenwöhr. Has someone heard about this yet?

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI