Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Thread!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> RE: The Thread!!! Page: <<   < prev  535 536 [537] 538 539   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 5:49:03 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

Whatshisface seems to be a making a carreer out of trilogies. I actually never saw the first Pirates. Did I miss much?

i thought it was enjoyable - Depp was pretty funny, and it had lots of action. Not a really intellectually stimulating, thought-provoking film, but good summer-time light entertainment. Second film is along the same lines, but you can watch JUST the first film as it comes to a definite ending, whereas the same can NOT be said for the second.

i would DEFINITELY watch the first one before seeing the second one. All the character relationships in #2 are set up in #1.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 16081
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 5:54:53 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

Doubt it. Probably impossible to perform it any other way, too.

well, i enjoyed it without benefits of mind-altering substances, but then again, i liked Firesign Theater without drugs and such also.

i am told i am unusual in that respect,however...

Perhaps the relative states of mind necessary to listen to it could be argued...
Taste is taste and highly variable, and no accounting for it, whether it is music, food, mates, etc.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 16082
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 5:58:16 PM   
Terminus

It's going to be Pirates 2 for me tonight; I loved the first one, it's a real popcorn film.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 16083
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 6:18:08 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

well, i enjoyed it without benefits of mind-altering substances, but then again, i liked Firesign Theater without drugs and such also.

Perhaps the relative states of mind necessary to listen to it could be argued...
Taste is taste and highly variable, and no accounting for it, whether it is music, food, mates, etc.

I know I said this before, but I just cant get in touch with that music, probably because by the time I got around to being born that stuff had gone out of style. <shrug>

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 16084
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 6:20:02 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

I know I said this before, but I just cant get in touch with that music, probably because by the time I got around to being born that stuff had gone out of style. <shrug>

Maybe so - stuff my parents liked i generally found hopelessly dated and stiff... there are individual songs from their generation i liked, though.

Post #: 16085
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 6:25:01 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

It's going to be Pirates 2 for me tonight; I loved the first one, it's a real popcorn film.

Tell me how it is. If The Grumpy Dane (tm) likes it maybe I'll consider seeing it (with the approptiate premable of course, rt ).

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 16086
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 6:33:00 PM   
rtrapasso

Well, off to the airport tithe...

Post #: 16087
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 6:34:41 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

Maybe so - stuff my parents liked i generally found hopelessly dated and stiff... there are individual songs from their generation i liked, though.

Thats the strange part, I'll listen to older stuff: doo-wop (or whatever you call it), swing, jazz, motown (although thats really my S/O's domain...she's got entirely too much soul for a skinny white girl ) , Beatles, Beach Boys, whatever and like it. I just cant get used to that psychodelic stuff.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 16088
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 7:08:38 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Bada-BUMP!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 16089
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 7:16:43 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

Well, off to the airport tithe...

Well, there goes Robert for the next 2 weeks.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 16090
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 7:35:28 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Gawds its empty in here. Its times like these that I wouldnt even mind having The Grumpy Dane (tm) for company.

BTW, T...how is it that I can make all sorts of comments about the Danish military and my position on the list barely budges, and you content yourself with making some vague comment about how you "should" create a separate list for me, and all Niceguy has to do is say that your too grumpy to post and he "vaults" to the top of the list? How is that fair? Its discrimination, I say!!!!!

Post #: 16091
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 8:36:04 PM   
niceguy2005

quote:

I think, IIRC, I gave the first one a C, mabye a C+. The character of Captain Jack Sparrow pretty much saved it from being a D-. Action sequences were, as is typical of big budget hollywood, overdone and over-rated. I will give them credit for doing something unusual in making the pirate so off beat. I probably will give the second one a try too, though I'm expecting more overdone action sequences and less plot so I'm not holding out a lot of hope.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 16092
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 8:39:07 PM   
niceguy2005

quote:

quote:

Thats the strange part, I'll listen to older stuff: doo-wop (or whatever you call it), swing, jazz, motown (although thats really my S/O's domain...she's got entirely too much soul for a skinny white girl ) , Beatles, Beach Boys, whatever and like it. I just cant get used to that psychodelic stuff.

SOme of the Beatles psychodelic music was the best stuff. Floyd was too far out on their albums like umbagumba.

Funny story about that though. My last Border Collie loved that album. She would sit in front of the speaker and listen to the whole thing. One the Scottsman started talking during that one song she would wag her tail...something about connecting to her ancestry I think.

Post #: 16093
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 8:45:59 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

quote:

I think, IIRC, I gave the first one a C, mabye a C+. The character of Captain Jack Sparrow pretty much saved it from being a D-. Action sequences were, as is typical of big budget hollywood, overdone and over-rated. I will give them credit for doing something unusual in making the pirate so off beat. I probably will give the second one a try too, though I'm expecting more overdone action sequences and less plot so I'm not holding out a lot of hope.

It's where you can see that it's based on an amusement park ride... It's over the top, blatantly escapist Hollywood entertainment, and yes, Captain Jack rescues it from instant condemnation to obscurity. I liked a comment on the DVD comment track: "He has a sort of Pepe le Pew thing going..."

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to niceguy2005)
Post #: 16094
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 8:53:16 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

SOme of the Beatles psychodelic music was the best stuff. Floyd was too far out on their albums like umbagumba.

Funny story about that though. My last Border Collie loved that album. She would sit in front of the speaker and listen to the whole thing. One the Scottsman started talking during that one song she would wag her tail...something about connecting to her ancestry I think.

Heh....I mean Beatles when they were young and happy, as opposed to aging, hairy and drugged out of their silly little minds. I think that when the Beatles started getting high, the every single other musician on the face of the planet did, and they didnt stop until one day they took a look at Whitney Houston and saw what happens.

Post #: 16095
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 8:59:56 PM   
niceguy2005

Whitney Houston could turn just about anyone off of drugs. I hear she may be featured in the mummy III, as the mummy.

Post #: 16096
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 9:07:20 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's where you can see that it's based on an amusement park ride... It's over the top, blatantly escapist Hollywood entertainment, and yes, Captain Jack rescues it from instant condemnation to obscurity. I liked a comment on the DVD comment track: "He has a sort of Pepe le Pew thing going..."

Heard on the radio that some guy is suing the studio over how they allegedly stole his script for a "supernatural pirate" movie.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 16097
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 9:08:44 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

Whitney Houston could turn just about anyone off of drugs. I hear she may be featured in the mummy III, as the mummy.

Apparently her and Bobby are breaking up.....aint it sad? No really, its sad, because neither one of the poor buggers will ever find another human being on the planet who is as loony as the other.

Post #: 16098
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 9:09:31 PM   
niceguy2005

quote:

quote:

quote:

Blatantly over the top I enjoy, its the action simply for action sake that doesn't really do it for me. King Kong (the recent remake) was one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time and its a prime example of action for action sake. I actually walked out during the scene where he fights the dinosaurs, had time to use the restroom (wash my hands of course), walk down the hall, go down the escolator, stand in line for popcorn and a soda, walk leisurely back to my seat and still had several minutes to spare in the action sequence.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 16099
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 9:10:09 PM   
Onime No Kyo

And incidentally, I get all this high powered Hollywood gossip courtecy of one radio dj here in NY...not that I care or anything.

Post #: 16100
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 9:11:59 PM   
niceguy2005

quote:

"supernatural pirate" movie.

ROFLMAO

He'd better not hope I'm on the jury. It be more likely to go smack him upside the head for such a silly idea.

Post #: 16101
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 9:17:44 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

"supernatural pirate" movie.

ROFLMAO

He'd better not hope I'm on the jury. It be more likely to go smack him upside the head for such a silly idea.

Ja. His was named "Black Crow" or somesuch. Go fig.

Post #: 16102
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 9:55:19 PM   
Onime No Kyo

You know, if I started a new page right now I bet I could do a Faber.

Post #: 16103
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 10:12:01 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Jeez....its like you guys really want me to do it......

Post #: 16104
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 11:08:05 PM   
BrucePowers

Must post to prevent a Faber.

Post #: 16105
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 11:09:14 PM   
BrucePowers

Actually, just got back from the other side of the state and just turned on the computer

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 16106
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 11:10:36 PM   
BrucePowers

Boy, Raver sure was lonely last night until Robert got on. It's good to have him back

Post #: 16107
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 11:33:30 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Raver I like, its the avatar I can do without.

Post #: 16108
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/22/2006 11:51:52 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Bump....just for the heck of it.

Post #: 16109
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/23/2006 12:16:52 AM   
BrucePowers

Okay bump

Post #: 16110
Page:   <<   < prev  535 536 [537] 538 539   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> RE: The Thread!!! Page: <<   < prev  535 536 [537] 538 539   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI