Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Nearly OT: Bad Women!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Nearly OT: Bad Women! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Nearly OT: Bad Women! - 2/17/2006 4:06:44 AM   
Zorfwaddle

The references about "bad women" crack me up :-)

From the 1940 edition of The Bluejackets Manual:

General. - So much sickness and suffering is caused by ignorance of the simplest matters pertaining to personal hygiene and it is so easy to learn the fundamental rules necessary to preserve health that every man should study and follow the advice given herewith.

Personal hygiene teaches us to keep both our minds and our bodies healthy. It is easy for the mind to form a habit, even as other habits are formed. By keeping the mind occupied in the work assigned you, by taking an interest in professional studies, by athletics and clean recreation, and by reading good books, you can develop your mind in a healthy manner. Smoking to excess, drinking intoxicating liquor, and associating with bad women can ruin your bodily health. Bad women especially are the cause of much grief, as promiscuous intercourse with them frequently results in loathsome diseases which not only leave their effects on your system the rest of your life, but also may be transferred by you to your future family with disastrous results. Sexual intercourse is positively not necessary for health and proper manly development. In spite of warning, if you have exposed yourself to venereal disease, you must report to the sick bay for treatment. The sooner you do this the better, as the germs multiply rapidly, and in a few hours after exposure the prophylactic treatment will be ineffective. However, prophylactic treatment is not a sure preventive. The only sure way is to avoid exposure entirely.

US Naval Institute. (1940). Personal Hygiene and First Aid. From The Bluejackets Manual. Annapolis, MD. US Naval Institute.

"AK-47. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every m****rf****r in the room. Accept no substitutes." Ordell Robbie - "Jackie Brown"
Post #: 1
RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! - 2/17/2006 5:04:13 AM   
rogueusmc

If you've ever been in the Corps (or any other service for that matter) you have endured the 'class' with the corpsman about this multiple times...

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to Zorfwaddle)
Post #: 2
RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! - 2/17/2006 6:04:15 AM   
Ron Saueracker

Can someone trasnslate this into something more current? Be good for a laugh!

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 3
RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! - 2/17/2006 6:17:01 AM   
barnacle bob

When I was in the navy my First Class was a ****. He was an ex-Marine that served in Vietnam. One day we “stumbled” upon his medical records. During his Marine Corps days he was treated for gonorrhea twice and some other STDs. It suddenly made sense why we was a ****…he did not have one.

I guess they did discuss this during the ‘60s?

Cool....the board has an automatic censor. I was surprised **** was caught. I was trying to avoid vulgar language.

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 4
RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! - 2/17/2006 6:34:24 AM   
Zorfwaddle

Ill have to see if one of the newbies at my detachment has the most recent manual so I can see what that part says these days....

George

"AK-47. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every m****rf****r in the room. Accept no substitutes." Ordell Robbie - "Jackie Brown"

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 5
RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! - 2/17/2006 7:17:39 AM   
Knavey

You mean this one?
It does make for interesting perusing.

Attachment (1)

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to Zorfwaddle)
Post #: 6
RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! - 2/17/2006 7:59:09 AM   
Tankerace

Reminds me of some reading I did on WWI for my major. VD was such an issue with Pershing that 1) You would be court martialed if you were exposed, and 2) if you were, you had to pay your own way back after the war, you would not be allowed on the troop transports going home.

It also discussed some of the treatments for VD.... even though this is 1918-1919, by today's standards they are barbaric (imagine the one place where a hot needle should never go.... well it went). Over There: The United States in the Great War, 1917-1918 -- by Byron Farwell in particular (a very good read IMO) has a full chapter on "Measures to preent and correct Veneral disease".

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 7
RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! - 2/17/2006 8:12:58 AM   
Treetop64

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

If you've ever been in the Corps (or any other service for that matter) you have endured the 'class' with the corpsman about this multiple times...

For sure. For one reason or another...

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 8
RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! - 2/17/2006 8:24:39 AM   
DeepSix

quote:

Tattooing -- Do not get tattooed. Ask any man you see who has been tattooed and he will tell you that he would give anything to have the tattooing removed. It is dangerous, costly, and an awful lot of trouble the rest of your life.

Bluejackets Manual, 1943. The '43 edition also goes a step further in discouraging hanging around bad women by informing the reader that contracting v.d. will result in loss of pay for the duration of the time the victim is away from his duties.

(in reply to Treetop64)
Post #: 9
RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! - 2/17/2006 3:09:01 PM   
Zorfwaddle

Yep, thats the one :-)

George

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 10
RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! - 2/17/2006 3:18:46 PM   
Speedysteve

Excellent. LOL

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Zorfwaddle)
Post #: 11
RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! - 2/17/2006 6:27:26 PM   
sprior

A ship's company I was a member of even got this lecture from the captain. We were just about to deploy to the Far Flung and we had "Clear Lower Deck". When he got round to the visit about a proposed visit to Subic Bay he said, "Just be careful, just looking at a woman there can make it fall off". Captain Robin Hogg, HMS Galatea, May 1980.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 12
RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! - 2/17/2006 11:39:36 PM   
rogueusmc

We first got to Okinawa (we arrived on Wednesday)the first liberty brief (on Friday) we got was from the Captain who said that he could tell us not to go here or go there or do this or do that...but we wouldn't know what he was talking about so he would cover all that next week. He said, "I will say one thing though...don't eat the banana." There was chuckling from the formation. He looked around and says, "who did it?" One marine raised his hand and the Captain just shook his head and walked off...

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 13
RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! - 2/18/2006 1:03:03 AM   
dtravel

Of course it was a Marine who ate the banana.

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 14
RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! - 2/18/2006 2:29:26 AM   
rogueusmc

You'd have to know that particular marine...

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 15
RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! - 2/18/2006 4:53:54 AM   
Zorfwaddle

Ah yes, wonderful Gate 2 street. Although I thought Kinville was a little more, shall we say, "colorful."

George (Hanza, Okinawa, 93-96)

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 16
RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! - 2/18/2006 6:35:10 AM   
rogueusmc

I walked through Whisper Alley once just to say I been there...

Gate 2 Street had that wondeful bath house...best $20 I ever spent...

(in reply to Zorfwaddle)
Post #: 17
RE: Nearly OT: Bad Women! - 2/18/2006 3:22:26 PM   
Titanwarrior89

True, true, true
quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

A ship's company I was a member of even got this lecture from the captain. We were just about to deploy to the Far Flung and we had "Clear Lower Deck". When he got round to the visit about a proposed visit to Subic Bay he said, "Just be careful, just looking at a woman there can make it fall off". Captain Robin Hogg, HMS Galatea, May 1980.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Nearly OT: Bad Women! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI