Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 4/16/2006 3:25:27 AM   
Tofke

Great news, thanks...

< Message edited by Tofke -- 4/16/2006 3:29:10 AM >

(in reply to Damien Thorn)
Post #: 211
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 7/22/2006 9:04:50 PM   
Czert

Is this game still in development or not ?

And is yes, how many (big) bugs still left in game ?
I hear it is one of best games, but bugs corrupt gameplay and plaing against AI is only waste of time.

(in reply to Damien Thorn)
Post #: 212
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 7/23/2006 9:40:24 PM   
Widell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Czert

Is this game still in development or not ?

And is yes, how many (big) bugs still left in game ?
I hear it is one of best games, but bugs corrupt gameplay and plaing against AI is only waste of time.

As for development, others with more insight should reply, but for your other comments, I can at least provide my own humble opinion:

- Big Bugs Left: Check this thread. In my opinion, most of the bugs becomes annoying once you have moved quite a bit up the learning curve, so being a noob, I don´t worry much about these. One can also argue that there are no big bugs left in the sense the application is stable, but the game engine itself has some areas of improvement. These areas are different depending on which of the guru level players you ask, and what mood they happen to be in

- Bugs corrupt gameplay - Not according to me, see above

- Playing against AI is a waste of time - You will have enough fun playing the AI to make it worth spending the $'s for the game. It´s a grog's game, and that means it takes a loooooooong time to learn, and even longer to master. I´d even state that playing the AI is a must before going to PBEM. Otherwise I don´t think the AI is worse than any other game in the same genre, more likely it´s better

Finally, if you like lots and lots of detail, and lots and lots of planning, and lots and lots of gameplay, you will adore WitP. If you don´t fancy that type of game, buy a less complex game instead

(in reply to Czert)
Post #: 213
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 9/24/2006 4:04:24 AM   
kaleun

Just for the record:
Let's cheer for WITP II

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 214
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 9/30/2006 6:13:21 PM   
msaario

Disclaimer: I have not read the thread, too long.

Open the AI code to public domain and let people contribute to that. Keep the rest of the code in-house... This way the team can spend more time with the actual game and not worry so much about the AI.

--Mikko

(in reply to Demosthenes)
Post #: 215
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 10/1/2006 2:21:20 PM   
Widell

quote:

ORIGINAL: msaario

Disclaimer: I have not read the thread, too long.

Open the AI code to public domain and let people contribute to that. Keep the rest of the code in-house... This way the team can spend more time with the actual game and not worry so much about the AI.

--Mikko

That whole open source discussion was pretty much alive about a year, year and a half, ago until someone official stated it very clearly that was not in the crystal ball. We can think what we want about that, but it´s not likely to happen

(in reply to msaario)
Post #: 216
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 10/3/2006 11:16:32 AM   
coralsaw

Oh well, this is too important a thread to pass.

First of all, I'd like to say a big thanks to the decision maker that took the decision to strengthen the WITP development team and move the series forward. No matter what we individually rant about, we should agree that WITP has been a great teaching tool, a great entertainment and overall a terrific bang for the buck. Bring WITP 2 on!

Second, I'd like to pitch in my €.2 about what bothered me in the game, and why I stopped playing it after a year (a year nevertheless!). Perhaps there are other people that shared my experience, who knows.. Here goes then, my top-5 game-breakers, in no particular order (And no, existing bugs are not included, it goes without saying that thay should be fixed, and neither is AI, I found it adequate as a learning tool, even unpredictable at times).

• It always felt that I was WITP's personal assistant, not the other way around. Meaning, I had to keep logs upon logs to understand what's going on. Aren't computers supposed to automate these mundane tasks? Shouldn't I be able to enter a free-text mission for each ship/division/TF whatever so at least I remember what I want to do without bringing another laptop for text processing along? Shouldn't I be able to have all parameters and information at hand, without resorting to spreadsheets? You bet I should. Corollary: Cure spreadsheet fever.
  • Rolling a new interface was really not necessary. I have ranted about this before on this forum. These days, people are (for good or for bad) used to the standard Windoze interface. Menus, right clicks, minimize/maximize, shortcuts etc. There have been millions of dollars poured for making this paradigm as easy as possible, and people have responded by learning it. Why force somebody to learn a sequence of ten clicks deep when there's usually an alternative standard way to perform the same action? Corollary: Do not roll your own interface.
  • Unnecessary micromanagement kills. Rotating air units so that their crews are fresh and trained is a nice idea. It teaches me valid tactics, it teaches me history. It's also nice to be able to see who the top leader is, and who the best pilots in a squad are. We grogs love this detail. But instead of making me check every blooming unit for fatigue, let the system warn me with a trigger when this happens instead of me going searching for it. Corollary: Let the player set rules, for the system to micromanage itself.
  • Hiding how things work is a bad, bad thing.Yes, I understand that it's nice to perpetuate the folclore of cryptic formulas, savvy players doing experiments to figure out inner workings, and the like. Yes, it's a good practice to protect your trade secrets, assuming formulas is one of those. But there's a lot you can do to improve the understanding, and thus the involvement, of the average player, like offering solid (even qualitative!) explanations about how the TAC AI makes choices, what goes on during a land assault etc. Hey, you might even put all this advanced info in a strategy guide to make some more money. Or could it be you've got to hide something, say, inadequate formula modelling? Corollary: Expose the game's inner workings.
  • Reports, replays, and situational data. I finish a 2 hour WITP turn, hit go and the turn executes. Where is my dashboard where the system tells me how well I'm doing, how many casualties I had, how many battles have happened, which ships need my immediate attention? Where is my positive or negative feedback? I'm Yamamoto dammit, I need my officers to summarize everything for me, instead of having to visit half a dozen screen and pop-up windows to get all the data I want. Corollary: Summarize the situation for the player.

Apologies for the longish post. Hopefully, some of the above problems of mine will find their cure in the next version of the game. Best wishes for the team's forthcoming effort.

/coralsaw

< Message edited by coralsaw -- 10/3/2006 11:21:40 AM >

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon. - Napoleon Bonaparte, 15 July 1815, to the captain of HMS Bellerophon.

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 217
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 10/7/2006 5:41:55 AM   
Williamb

quote:

ORIGINAL: BossGnome

WITP 2? What the hell would there be left to improve upon after patch 1.8? If everything works as planned, I really don't see how they could make the game more complete... Graphics...maybe??

A tactical component that allows you to not just watch battles but give directions in them. Or how about even 3D looking battle graphics ?

Or such things as a talley of Sub kills. Ships, Subs, planes, ect credited with kills they make such as a list of ships sub by a sub save as part of the report.

And please drop the on screen reports of snapshots of ground reccon by air and those silly "Troops landing on such and such beach" they are time consuming and can be placed in the Intell report screen.

(in reply to BossGnome)
Post #: 218
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 10/8/2006 12:07:13 AM   
kaleun

I guess it's not time to ask: When?

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Williamb)
Post #: 219
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 10/8/2006 10:18:27 PM   
Williamb

Isnt so much a wish list for WITP II but is there ever a chance of a modern day version of this type of game ?

A WWIII version would be cool

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 220
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 10/9/2006 2:41:58 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Welcome aboard my fine fellows.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Hipper)
Post #: 221
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 10/23/2006 4:54:51 PM   
Luskan

Where do I send the cheque for WITP 2?!?

Also willing to donate my first born (when I get one) it that is better than money.

With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?

(in reply to Hipper)
Post #: 222
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 10/23/2006 6:42:28 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Luskan

Where do I send the cheque for WITP 2?!?

Also willing to donate my first born (when I get one) it that is better than money.

Just tattoo the check on your first born's port buttock and send to:

Bowen's Home for Wayward Women
c/o Texas Department of Paroles
Austin, Texas

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 223
RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ - 10/24/2006 12:23:56 AM   
Terminus

They let you out of the correctional facility? Damn, those Texans are gettin' soft!

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 224
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: New Development for War In The Pacific -- MUST READ Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI