Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Seige of Calcutta

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Seige of Calcutta Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Seige of Calcutta - 8/9/2006 8:04:51 AM   
KDonovan

quote:

How has the Allied player managed to lose most of China and essentially all of India? I know he stated he's not very good at ground combat but, that's amazing.

China is actually very easy to conquer in the stock game for a skill land combat player like Tom. The railroad system in China allows Japan to concentrate massive amounts of troops at the front before Chinese troops have a chance to react. Also we agreed that Tom was allowed to bomb resources in China. With that he basically starved out my troops and within 3 months and the front crumbled.

India on the other hand, was lost due the swiftness Tom moved throught the SRA. Tom managed to take out the Philipinnes in less than 30 days will skilled landings, that cut off the majority of my troops before they could make it back to Manila to dig in. Then...in Mayala...due to the screwed up retreat paths mechanism in this game...12,000 of my troops retreated into Georgetown, where they were trapped, instead of retreating down to Signapore. Basically this sped up the fall of Signapore....which fell in late January. With Manila and Signapore in Japanese hands i knew i had to slow down the offensive in the SRA, or India and Oz would probably both be invaded. Therefore i sent down the British 18th Div to Java to help in the defense of Soerabaja. This manaveur did worked as it slowed down Toms time table for about a month. However, what i needed was 1 month and a 1/2......

at this point it was late Feb.....while the British 18th Div was at Java, i was working on a plan for the defense of India. I was desperatly short on forces. With the 18th at Java, and the 2nd British Div not due to arrive in about 50 days...I basically had to defend the entire Sub-continent wtih 5 understrength Indian Divs, 3 Armor Brigades, and 5 Indian Brigades, hardly enough to defend the entire continent to some 10-12 Japanese Div's that were soon to land next month. Therefore my whole defense relied on airpower and sea power. I scrapped together every ship i can find and sailed them across the pacific and around Australia. My plan was to engage the japanese landing force on the beach, as i knew once they were in the interior on that high speed rail system i was screwed. With only 3 CV's at the time, my whole plan hinged on forcing a naval engagement. Which means i would need the KB to be fixated on the landing beaches, which would be accomplished by the threat of my B17s. With my massive armada about to arrive on station in India in 2 weeks, the japanese struck India at Yanam. All i could do is watch as my 100,000+ troops stormed ashore and the KB remaind stationed in the hex to defend against B17 raids. Had my naval forces been in position, i would've forced a massive surface engagement..hopefully wiping out the landing force, before it arrived. A las it was not to be, and i had to retreat my naval forces, since by the time it arrived on station, the KB moved off the landing beaches and land-based Zeros were now defending the base.

(in reply to New York Jets)
Post #: 241
RE: Seige of Calcutta - 8/9/2006 9:57:44 AM   
RUPD3658

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/10/42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Asansol , at 31,21

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 90

No Allied losses

Resources hits 24

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Chungking , at 43,32

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 161
Ki-49 Helen x 88

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
SB-2c: 1 destroyed

Allied ground losses:
439 casualties reported

Airbase hits 21
Airbase supply hits 13 (Sadly 13% of nothing = nothing)
Runway hits 233

Day Air attack on Chengtu , at 41,29

Allied aircraft
SB-2c x 6

No Allied losses

Day Air attack on Tarawa , at 85,91 (Now know where the Allied CVs are)

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 8
SBD Dauntless x 102
TBF Avenger x 42

Allied aircraft losses
SBD Dauntless: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
34 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Airbase hits 3
Airbase supply hits 11
Runway hits 26

Ground combat at Calcutta

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 359796 troops, 2939 guns, 484 vehicles, Assault Value = 6643

Defending force 66686 troops, 391 guns, 475 vehicles, Assault Value = 816

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 5

Japanese max assault: 4189 - adjusted assault: 4371

Allied max defense: 840 - adjusted defense: 3593

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 5)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 5

Japanese ground losses:
5147 casualties reported
Guns lost 121
Vehicles lost 10

Allied ground losses:
2670 casualties reported
Guns lost 54
Vehicles lost 1

Ground combat at Dimapur

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 22874 troops, 230 guns, 7 vehicles, Assault Value = 614

Defending force 37021 troops, 223 guns, 591 vehicles, Assault Value = 604

Ground combat at Chungking

Attacking force 12808 troops, 445 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 8864

Defending force 335966 troops, 31 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 10878

Allied ground losses:
69 casualties reported

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/11/42

Night Time Surface Combat, near Karachi at 21,3

Japanese Ships
BB Kongo
BB Haruna
BB Hiei
BB Kirishima
BB Nagato
BB Mutsu
BB Yamato
BB Fuso
BB Yamashiro
BB Ise
BB Hyuga
CA Tone
CA Chikuma
CA Takao
CA Maya
CA Chokai
CA Nachi
CA Mogami
CA Aoba
CA Furutaka
CA Kako

Allied Ships
AK Empire Elaine, Shell hits 36, and is sunk

Allied ground losses:
948 casualties reported

Got lucky here. BBs hadn't fired all their ammo so I sent them back. Din't know if the troops were coming or going

Naval bombardment of Karachi, at 21,3

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
Catalina I: 1 destroyed
PBY Catalina: 2 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CA Kako
CA Furutaka
CA Aoba
CA Mogami
CA Nachi
CA Chokai
CA Maya
CA Takao
CA Chikuma
CA Tone
BB Hyuga
BB Ise
BB Yamashiro
BB Fuso
BB Yamato
BB Mutsu
BB Nagato
BB Kirishima
BB Hiei
BB Haruna
BB Kongo

Allied ground losses:
896 casualties reported
Guns lost 11
Vehicles lost 1

Airbase hits 5
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 100
Port hits 5
Port fuel hits 6
Port supply hits 11

Day Air attack on Asansol , at 31,21

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 117

No Allied losses

Resources hits 33

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 158
Ki-49 Helen x 88

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
SB-2c: 7 destroyed

(15 total destroyed. Don't know if they were reinforcements or transfered in from Calcutta, which I think is out of range)

Allied ground losses:
351 casualties reported

Airbase hits 31
Airbase supply hits 10
Runway hits 143

Attacking force 354244 troops, 2810 guns, 474 vehicles, Assault Value = 6376

Defending force 64156 troops, 337 guns, 472 vehicles, Assault Value = 766

Japanese max assault: 4252 - adjusted assault: 3670

Allied max defense: 681 - adjusted defense: 7153

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 5)

Japanese ground losses:
3531 casualties reported
Guns lost 96
Vehicles lost 9

Allied ground losses:
1703 casualties reported
Guns lost 38
Vehicles lost 8

Ground combat at Dimapur

Attacking force 22925 troops, 232 guns, 7 vehicles, Assault Value = 614

Defending force 36798 troops, 219 guns, 589 vehicles, Assault Value = 604

Allied ground losses:
6 casualties reported

Attacking force 12841 troops, 446 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 9089

Defending force 335480 troops, 30 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 10884

Allied ground losses:
46 casualties reported

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to KDonovan)
Post #: 242
RE: Seige of Calcutta - 8/10/2006 5:19:19 AM   
New York Jets

quote:

ORIGINAL: KDonovan

quote:

How has the Allied player managed to lose most of China and essentially all of India? I know he stated he's not very good at ground combat but, that's amazing.

China is actually very easy to conquer in the stock game for a skill land combat player like Tom. The railroad system in China allows Japan to concentrate massive amounts of troops at the front before Chinese troops have a chance to react. Also we agreed that Tom was allowed to bomb resources in China. With that he basically starved out my troops and within 3 months and the front crumbled.

India on the other hand, was lost due the swiftness Tom moved throught the SRA. Tom managed to take out the Philipinnes in less than 30 days will skilled landings, that cut off the majority of my troops before they could make it back to Manila to dig in. Then...in Mayala...due to the screwed up retreat paths mechanism in this game...12,000 of my troops retreated into Georgetown, where they were trapped, instead of retreating down to Signapore. Basically this sped up the fall of Signapore....which fell in late January. With Manila and Signapore in Japanese hands i knew i had to slow down the offensive in the SRA, or India and Oz would probably both be invaded. Therefore i sent down the British 18th Div to Java to help in the defense of Soerabaja. This manaveur did worked as it slowed down Toms time table for about a month. However, what i needed was 1 month and a 1/2......

at this point it was late Feb.....while the British 18th Div was at Java, i was working on a plan for the defense of India. I was desperatly short on forces. With the 18th at Java, and the 2nd British Div not due to arrive in about 50 days...I basically had to defend the entire Sub-continent wtih 5 understrength Indian Divs, 3 Armor Brigades, and 5 Indian Brigades, hardly enough to defend the entire continent to some 10-12 Japanese Div's that were soon to land next month. Therefore my whole defense relied on airpower and sea power. I scrapped together every ship i can find and sailed them across the pacific and around Australia. My plan was to engage the japanese landing force on the beach, as i knew once they were in the interior on that high speed rail system i was screwed. With only 3 CV's at the time, my whole plan hinged on forcing a naval engagement. Which means i would need the KB to be fixated on the landing beaches, which would be accomplished by the threat of my B17s. With my massive armada about to arrive on station in India in 2 weeks, the japanese struck India at Yanam. All i could do is watch as my 100,000+ troops stormed ashore and the KB remaind stationed in the hex to defend against B17 raids. Had my naval forces been in position, i would've forced a massive surface engagement..hopefully wiping out the landing force, before it arrived. A las it was not to be, and i had to retreat my naval forces, since by the time it arrived on station, the KB moved off the landing beaches and land-based Zeros were now defending the base.

Thank you for the replies.

One question. This is not an indictment or criticism, just 35 yrs of war gaming experince speaking (not hindsight).

I cannot remember the exact strategic situation at the time the great carrier battle took place. But, given that by the time you made the decision to engage the KB I believe the Japanese "Asian Strategy" was very clear. Given the situation would it maybe have been a better strategy to not engage the KB and instead husband your forces for the obviously upcoming advance toward Australia?

You would have been better able to stop the Japanese advance towards Australia. I have played more than a couple of "WWII in The Pacific" grand stratey games over the years and find that, unless the Japanese player is completely inept and leaves me an opening, I usually spend the first six months of the war in retreat and gathering forces for the inevitable upcoming Allied storm.

Just my humble opinion. Not meant to ruffle feathers.

< Message edited by Chris Trog -- 8/10/2006 5:20:10 AM >

"There comes a time in every man's life, and I've had plenty of 'em."

- Casey Stengel -

(in reply to KDonovan)
Post #: 243
RE: Seige of Calcutta - 8/10/2006 6:10:27 AM   
KDonovan

quote:

I cannot remember the exact strategic situation at the time the great carrier battle took place. But, given that by the time you made the decision to engage the KB I believe the Japanese "Asian Strategy" was very clear. Given the situation would it maybe have been a better strategy to not engage the KB and instead husband your forces for the obviously upcoming advance toward Australia?

The 1st (and only) carrier battle in our game took place in late April 42'. At that time, all of DEI, Malaya, PI, and most of China had been gobbled up. Japan was a little over a month into their India campaign, and making slow progress.

With that in mind, you would think that defending Australia would be my main goal, therefore i would do whatever was necessary not to lose CVs. However, with the majority of the japanese land forces in India, i knew it was impossible for the japanese to open up another front on the mainland of Australia. So australia in the near future wasn't a worry for me. With that in my..i decided to engage the KB for several reasons......
1) the KB was hundreds of miles away from land base air support. With the range of Betties in this game, this is a rare.
2) the KB was short on fuel
3) the KB was short on sorties, due to the pounding my shipping was taking in the area
4) the KB was hundreds of miles away from friendly bases, and with a few 1000lbs bomb hits, and the sorry state of Japanese damage control, i could be assured a sinking or two
5) with the CV respawn rule in this game, the allies can only to afford to lose their CVs in the opening months of the game. April was early enough, where losing a couple CVs, would allow me to have 2 "extra" Essex class carriers in 1943, when the allied offensive really starts ramping up.

quote:

You would have been better able to stop the Japanese advance towards Australia. I have played more than a couple of "WWII in The Pacific" grand stratey games over the years and find that, unless the Japanese player is completely inept and leaves me an opening, I usually spend the first six months of the war in retreat and gathering forces for the inevitable upcoming Allied storm.

it appears as of now that the japanese won't be able to launch an invasion (even a limited one) of Australia. Where as India in March of 42' was short on everything from aircraft to troops...Australia by October 42' (the earliest possible time for a japanse invasion at this point) is pratically an inpenatrable fortress. If you want i could send you my turn..with password and you could look over my defenses yourself. I'm pretty confident that i will be able to throw back any attempted invasion.

While husbanding ones CV's until you reach parity in with the Japanese is a valid tatic in this game. I for one will risk them, if there is the possibility of sinking 1 Japanese CV for 2 American CV. In this game, that type of trade off is a strategic victory for the Allies (while a tatical defeat).

quote:

Just my humble opinion. Not meant to ruffle feathers.

no feathers ruffled here. I appreciate critique, and enjoy responding and explaing my method to my maddness.

quote:

just 35 yrs of war gaming experince speaking

thats quite a record you got there. I'm not even old enough to have the much experience RUPD also has similar wargaming expereince underneath his belt. Myself....i've only played a handful of games over the course of 6 years. However this experience has only been against AI, not until last year have i started to play against real foes. I'm finding out theres a steep learning curve when it comes to playing humans.

(in reply to New York Jets)
Post #: 244
retreat to Boston - 8/11/2006 3:25:33 AM   
KDonovan

no turns to be had, as Tom went on vacation to Boston. I forgot when he will be back, but i assure you it will be soon as no one can escape the lure of New Jersey.

(in reply to KDonovan)
Post #: 245
RE: retreat to Boston - 8/14/2006 2:00:12 AM   
RUPD3658

I'm back and eagerly awaiting a turn. 5 hours in traffic (1.5 just for the GW Bridge) gave me lots of time to plot and plan. Fall offensive will start in about 1 month. Yes, I said offensive, I am not ready to dig in and wait just yet.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

(in reply to KDonovan)
Post #: 246
RE: retreat to Boston - 8/14/2006 5:32:45 AM   
KDonovan

hope your offensive doesn't run into my offensive

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 247
Seige of Calcutta - 8/14/2006 7:39:55 AM   
RUPD3658

One step forward and one step back. Knocked Calcutta down to 4 forts only to have it go back up to 5 the next day. Eventually it will run out of supplies and troops but it may be a while.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/12/42

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 123
Ki-49 Helen x 84

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
300 casualties reported

Airbase hits 15
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 132
Day Air attack on Dacca , at 31,24

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 87
I-16c x 24

No Allied losses

Oil hits 6

Ground combat at Dimapur

Attacking force 23014 troops, 236 guns, 7 vehicles, Assault Value = 616

Defending force 36716 troops, 215 guns, 588 vehicles, Assault Value = 601

Allied ground losses:
6 casualties reported

Attacking force 347992 troops, 2740 guns, 403 vehicles, Assault Value = 6159

Defending force 62093 troops, 292 guns, 465 vehicles, Assault Value = 714

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 4

Japanese max assault: 2606 - adjusted assault: 2323

Allied max defense: 619 - adjusted defense: 1585

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 4)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 4

Japanese ground losses:
5220 casualties reported
Guns lost 140
Vehicles lost 10

Allied ground losses:
2661 casualties reported
Guns lost 41
Vehicles lost 5

Attacking force 12847 troops, 446 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 9299

Defending force 335484 troops, 31 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 10904

Allied ground losses:
91 casualties reported

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/13/42

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 117
Ki-49 Helen x 60

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
SB-2c: 8 destroyed (16 total)

Allied ground losses:
282 casualties reported

Airbase hits 6
Runway hits 164
Ground combat at Dimapur

Attacking force 23045 troops, 239 guns, 7 vehicles, Assault Value = 618

Defending force 36466 troops, 207 guns, 585 vehicles, Assault Value = 594

Attacking force 343928 troops, 2589 guns, 391 vehicles, Assault Value = 5983

Defending force 60213 troops, 264 guns, 465 vehicles, Assault Value = 666

Japanese max assault: 2825 - adjusted assault: 1846

Allied max defense: 563 - adjusted defense: 2697

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 5) (right back up to 5)

Japanese ground losses:
4327 casualties reported
Guns lost 77
Vehicles lost 5

Allied ground losses:
2038 casualties reported
Guns lost 39
Vehicles lost 4

Attacking force 12896 troops, 447 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 10228

Defending force 334861 troops, 32 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 10924

Allied ground losses:
103 casualties reported

(in reply to KDonovan)
Post #: 248
RE: Seige of Calcutta - 8/15/2006 7:24:26 AM   
RUPD3658

Knocked Calcutta back down to 4.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/14/42

Attacking force 345702 troops, 2543 guns, 468 vehicles, Assault Value = 5884

Defending force 58730 troops, 241 guns, 464 vehicles, Assault Value = 639

Japanese max assault: 2503 - adjusted assault: 2364

Allied max defense: 537 - adjusted defense: 2405

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 4)

Japanese ground losses:
2703 casualties reported
Guns lost 73
Vehicles lost 13

Allied ground losses:
885 casualties reported
Guns lost 30
Vehicles lost 2

Ground combat at Dimapur

Attacking force 23116 troops, 239 guns, 7 vehicles, Assault Value = 546

Defending force 36345 troops, 207 guns, 586 vehicles, Assault Value = 592

Allied ground losses:
9 casualties reported

Attacking force 12928 troops, 448 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 10445

Defending force 334889 troops, 31 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 10915

Allied ground losses:
83 casualties reported

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/15/42

TF 1050 encounters mine field at Midway (95,61)

Allied Ships
MSW Bobolink

Ground combat at Dimapur

Attacking force 23259 troops, 239 guns, 7 vehicles, Assault Value = 549

Defending force 36193 troops, 207 guns, 582 vehicles, Assault Value = 588

Attacking force 12936 troops, 447 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 10632

Defending force 334609 troops, 31 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 10899

Allied ground losses:
104 casualties reported

Attacking force 7868 troops, 214 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 5747

Defending force 56947 troops, 218 guns, 462 vehicles, Assault Value = 591

Allied ground losses:
126 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 249
RE: Seige of Calcutta - 8/16/2006 6:43:10 PM   
RUPD3658

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/16/42

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 5 destroyed
PBY Catalina: 1 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CA Kako
CA Furutaka
CA Aoba
CA Mogami
CA Nachi
CA Chokai
CA Maya
CA Takao
CA Chikuma
CA Tone
BB Hyuga
BB Ise
BB Yamashiro
BB Fuso
BB Yamato
BB Mutsu
BB Nagato
BB Kirishima
BB Hiei
BB Haruna
BB Kongo

Allied ground losses:
1438 casualties reported
Guns lost 12
Vehicles lost 2

Airbase hits 8
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 106
Port hits 7
Port fuel hits 4
Port supply hits 7

Day Air attack on Bulla , at 40,75

Allied aircraft
B-24D Liberator x 106

No Allied losses

Manpower hits 20
Day Air attack on Amboina , at 39,73

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 128
B-24D Liberator x 21

No Allied losses

Resources hits 24

Day Air attack on Sorong , at 42,74

Allied aircraft
B-24D Liberator x 32

No Allied losses

Oil hits 4

Attacking force 346703 troops, 2548 guns, 470 vehicles, Assault Value = 5947

Defending force 57938 troops, 235 guns, 465 vehicles, Assault Value = 609

Japanese max assault: 3785 - adjusted assault: 4903

Allied max defense: 536 - adjusted defense: 3433

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 4)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 4 (Must have snuck back up to 4 last turn)

Japanese ground losses:
4392 casualties reported
Guns lost 84
Vehicles lost 7

Allied ground losses:
2264 casualties reported
Guns lost 53
Vehicles lost 5

Ground combat at Dimapur

Attacking force 23274 troops, 239 guns, 7 vehicles, Assault Value = 550

Defending force 36065 troops, 206 guns, 579 vehicles, Assault Value = 587

Allied ground losses:
8 casualties reported

Attacking force 12849 troops, 445 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 10809

Defending force 334706 troops, 31 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 10909

Allied ground losses:
41 casualties reported

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/17/42

TF 1060 encounters mine field at Suva (86,114)

Allied Ships
AK Prusa, Mine hits 1

Day Air attack on Bulla , at 40,75

Allied aircraft
B-24D Liberator x 125

No Allied losses

Resources hits 29
Day Air attack on Amboina , at 39,73

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 122
B-24D Liberator x 20

No Allied losses

Resources hits 3

Aircraft Attacking:

Allied aircraft
B-24D Liberator x 38

No Allied losses

Oil hits 3

Attacking force 344332 troops, 2447 guns, 468 vehicles, Assault Value = 5830

Defending force 55628 troops, 182 guns, 457 vehicles, Assault Value = 571

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 3

Japanese max assault: 4181 - adjusted assault: 5862

Allied max defense: 474 - adjusted defense: 3337

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 3)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 3

Japanese ground losses:
2965 casualties reported
Guns lost 58
Vehicles lost 4

Allied ground losses:
2173 casualties reported
Guns lost 36
Vehicles lost 11

Ground combat at Dimapur

Attacking force 23362 troops, 243 guns, 7 vehicles, Assault Value = 553

Defending force 35780 troops, 204 guns, 576 vehicles, Assault Value = 583

Allied ground losses:
5 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Attacking force 12859 troops, 445 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 10977

Defending force 335207 troops, 30 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 10927

Allied ground losses:
11 casualties reported

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 250
Calcutta Captured - 8/16/2006 10:17:52 PM   
RUPD3658

Shock attack did the trick. Blemheim IVs escaped before the fall of Calcutta. Next will be Diampur then maybe Karachi.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/18/42

TF 1081 encounters mine field at Suva (86,114)

Allied Ships
MSW Echuca
MSW Ipswitch
MSW Deloraine
MSW Castlemaine
MSW Cairns
MSW Benalla
MSW Ballarat
MSW Kalgoorlie

Day Air attack on 4th Division, at 33,23

Allied aircraft
I-153c x 30
I-16c x 35

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
24 casualties reported

Day Air attack on TF, near Taliabu at 37,70

Allied aircraft
B-24D Liberator x 22

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
AP Tarushima Maru
AP Taiho Maru
AP Kashiwa Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AP Kembu Maru

Japanese ground losses:
16 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 343515 troops, 2422 guns, 465 vehicles, Assault Value = 5787

Defending force 53838 troops, 161 guns, 453 vehicles, Assault Value = 513

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 3

Japanese max assault: 9299 - adjusted assault: 7461

Allied max defense: 412 - adjusted defense: 1341

Japanese assault odds: 5 to 1 (fort level 3)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Calcutta base !!!

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
Mohawk IV: 16 destroyed
Hurricane II: 24 destroyed (total was 48 Hurricanes and 24 Mohawks)

Japanese ground losses:
3818 casualties reported
Guns lost 65
Vehicles lost 8

Allied ground losses:
69048 casualties reported
Guns lost 254
Vehicles lost 258

Ground combat at Dimapur

Attacking force 23338 troops, 243 guns, 7 vehicles, Assault Value = 553

Defending force 35577 troops, 195 guns, 574 vehicles, Assault Value = 583

Allied ground losses:
12 casualties reported

Attacking force 12868 troops, 446 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 11603

Defending force 335659 troops, 28 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 10944

Allied ground losses:
21 casualties reported

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/19/42

Allied Ships
MSW Echuca
MSW Ipswitch
MSW Deloraine
MSW Castlemaine
MSW Cairns
MSW Benalla
MSW Ballarat
MSW Kalgoorlie

TF 1102 encounters mine field at Midway (95,61)

Allied Ships
MSW Bobolink
MSW Oriole

Allied aircraft
I-153c x 31
I-16c x 38

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
55 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Dimapur

Attacking force 23292 troops, 243 guns, 7 vehicles, Assault Value = 553

Defending force 35451 troops, 189 guns, 573 vehicles, Assault Value = 580

Attacking force 12884 troops, 447 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 11787

Defending force 335445 troops, 27 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 10957

Allied ground losses:
89 casualties reported

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 251
RE: Calcutta Captured - 8/17/2006 8:31:19 AM   
RUPD3658

No airstrikes today but my flak gunners shot down yet another F5A recon. Losses are running about 50% for these missions.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/20/42

Japanese Ships
CA Kako
CA Furutaka
CA Aoba
CA Mogami
CA Nachi
CA Chokai
CA Maya
CA Takao
CA Chikuma
CA Tone
BB Hyuga
BB Yamashiro
BB Yamato
BB Mutsu
BB Nagato
BB Hiei

Allied ground losses:
694 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
Vehicles lost 2

Airbase hits 2
Runway hits 52
Port hits 4
Port fuel hits 2
Port supply hits 2

Allied Ships
MSW Ipswitch
MSW Echuca
MSW Deloraine
MSW Castlemaine
MSW Cairns
MSW Benalla
MSW Ballarat
MSW Kalgoorlie

TF 1102 encounters mine field at Midway (95,61)

Allied Ships
MSW Bobolink
MSW Oriole

Ground combat at Dimapur

Attacking force 23356 troops, 243 guns, 7 vehicles, Assault Value = 553

Defending force 35379 troops, 188 guns, 573 vehicles, Assault Value = 579

Attacking force 14379 troops, 491 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 11966

Defending force 335843 troops, 27 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 10971

Allied ground losses:
25 casualties reported

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/21/42

Ground combat at Dimapur

Attacking force 23376 troops, 244 guns, 7 vehicles, Assault Value = 551

Defending force 35167 troops, 186 guns, 572 vehicles, Assault Value = 574

Attacking force 14409 troops, 490 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 12138

Defending force 335936 troops, 26 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 10967

Allied ground losses:
23 casualties reported

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 252
Recap - 8/18/2006 1:48:07 AM   
KDonovan

Just to recap whats going on in the game, just in case you forgot....

Date: 8/24/42

North Pacific - pretty quite. Japanese have taken Attu/Kiska and a couple small naval clashes have been fought, with neither side gaining a clear advantage.

Central Pacific - very quite thus far in the game. Allies hold the line from Midway-Johnston-Palmyra-Baker. There have been sporadic raids on both sides. Japan has hit Midway a few times with CL/DD raids. While the Allies have hit Wake with B24's, and hit Tarawa with a couple CV raids.

South Pacific - Canton/Pago Pago/Suva area remain very quite. While over near the Noumea/Efate/Luganville area, there as been more action. Air raids have been launched against Japanese held Lunga, while Japanese have returned the favor with air raids of there own. CAP is strong on both sides, with neither side able to win air superiority over the enemy's base's. Naval raids by both sides have been attempted with CL/DDs. However, this has come as a high cost in ships sunk, as LBA control the surrounding seas.

North Eastern Australia - very quite. The only action was one heavy bomber raid from Cairns that was launched against Japanese held Port Moresby

North Western Australia - probably the most active area in the game thus far. Fierce air battles have been waged b/t japanese held Koepang and allied held Derby. Both sides suffered massive losses...probably some 800 aircraft loss. In the end it looks as if Japanese airforce has temporarily withdrawn from Koepang to Kendari. The allied airforces continue to be active in the area with strong raids against the resources/oil of Ambiona/Bulla/Sorong.

India - 90% of India has been occupied by the Japanese. Calcutta has recently fallen after a month long seige against 300,000 japanese troops. The last allied outpost in eastern India (Dinapur) will probably fall in the day or two, along with the remainder of the Chinese airforce based there. Karachi/Malir continue to hold out for the time being, despite relentless japanese bombardment TF's consisting of almost all the japanese BB's. The japanese airfoce in the air is pretty non-exsistant at the moment.

China - fortress Chungking remains in allied hands, home to some 400,000 chinese troops. So far only assualt on the city has been attempted by the japanese, which was easily defeated. As the japanese continue to pour in reinforcements, a long siege is to be expected.

Soviet Union - all is quiet....

Naval Losses - the major naval losses are as follows... Japan - 2 CV, 1 CS, 2 CL....Allies - 4 CV, 3 CL. The CV loses occured during a carrier battle off the western coast of Australia, back in April 42'.

Submarine warfare - pretty quite in this regards. Japanese subs have been content with minelaying as opposed to merchant raiding. This has come at a high cost with 16 SS sunk thus far. The allied sub arm is still recovering from the opening day raid on Manila, in which 24 subs were sunk. The only major submarine kill of the war is the sinking of the CS Chitose by a dutch sub in the opening weeks of the game.

Air Losses - Japanese lead the score in planes loss with a large percentage coming from ground losses due to japanese bombardment TF's. In A2A battle the allies have managed pretty well, with almost a 1:1 ration against the japanese. However, this may soon change was word has it that new Tonys will be coming on line soon. In regards to allied airframes, the pool of B24's continues to grow and grow, and more and more bomber groups are switching over to these fine planes.

Overall - the situation is pretty static. Japan will have a hard time dealing with Chungking and Karachi, where i expect to tie down large numbers of japanese troops. However, word has it that japan will be launching a new offensive in the coming weeks, with its well recovered fleet. The allies have units prepping for an offensive of its own in the coming months, as the allied build up in the pacific continues.

Quite right now...excitement to come...

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 253
RE: Recap - 8/18/2006 7:23:46 AM   
RUPD3658

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/22/42

Japanese Ships
BB Kongo
BB Haruna
BB Kirishima
BB Fuso
BB Ise

Allied Ships
AK Empire Gareth, Shell hits 36, and is sunk

Allied ground losses:
784 casualties reported

Japanese Ships
BB Ise
BB Fuso
BB Kirishima
BB Haruna
BB Kongo

Allied ground losses:
915 casualties reported
Guns lost 10
Vehicles lost 5

Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 32
Port hits 2
Port supply hits 1

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 58
B-24D Liberator x 15

No Allied losses

Resources hits 5

Allied aircraft
I-153c x 28
I-16c x 38

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
27 casualties reported

Ground combat at Dimapur

Attacking force 23387 troops, 244 guns, 7 vehicles, Assault Value = 662

Defending force 34917 troops, 183 guns, 569 vehicles, Assault Value = 572

Attacking force 14377 troops, 492 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 12276

Defending force 336072 troops, 26 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 10972

Allied ground losses:
66 casualties reported

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/23/42

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 85
B-24D Liberator x 20

No Allied losses

Oil hits 35

Allied aircraft
I-153c x 32
I-16c x 38

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
37 casualties reported
Ground combat at Dimapur

Attacking force 23325 troops, 243 guns, 7 vehicles, Assault Value = 2275

Defending force 34679 troops, 180 guns, 567 vehicles, Assault Value = 569

Allied ground losses:
6 casualties reported

Attacking force 14407 troops, 493 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 12419

Defending force 335951 troops, 28 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 10959

Allied ground losses:
203 casualties reported

(in reply to KDonovan)
Post #: 254
RE: Recap - 8/18/2006 8:37:00 AM   
RUPD3658

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/24/42

Allied aircraft
B-24D Liberator x 58

No Allied losses

Oil hits 12
Day Air attack on 56th Division, at 33,23

Allied aircraft
I-153c x 31
I-16c x 38

Allied aircraft losses
I-153c: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
25 casualties reported
Ground combat at Dimapur

Attacking force 123543 troops, 1231 guns, 15 vehicles, Assault Value = 5970

Defending force 34511 troops, 174 guns, 567 vehicles, Assault Value = 565

Allied ground losses:
71 casualties reported
Guns lost 3

Attacking force 14486 troops, 495 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 12538

Defending force 335769 troops, 26 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 10963

Allied ground losses:
74 casualties reported

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/25/42

Day Air attack on 16th Division, at 33,23

Allied aircraft
I-153c x 16
I-16c x 38

Allied aircraft losses
I-153c: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
7 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
Day Air attack on TF, near Luganville at 72,107

Brave but stupid. Now if all 200 bombers and their escorts had flown the results would have been better

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 26
G4M1 Betty x 12

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 10
P-40B Tomahawk x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 18 destroyed
G4M1 Betty: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 3 destroyed, 1 damaged
P-40B Tomahawk: 1 destroyed, 4 damaged

Allied Ships
AK Jalapalaka, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
AK Wosang

Ground combat at Dimapur

Attacking force 132679 troops, 1298 guns, 17 vehicles, Assault Value = 6555

Defending force 34103 troops, 161 guns, 566 vehicles, Assault Value = 561

Allied ground losses:
42 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 1

Attacking force 14479 troops, 493 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 12652

Defending force 336086 troops, 26 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 10996

Allied ground losses:
278 casualties reported

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 255
RE: Battle for New Jersey (like who would want to do that) - 8/18/2006 8:27:39 PM   
bernadotte

KDonovan,
Im a newbie playing scenario #15 Vs the Japanese AI. I am hoping to learn quite a bit of the Allied strategy and planning process reading your AAR, and urge you to to write plenty with the knowledge that newbies are reading and learning from it.
Keep it up please. I need the info it provides.

bernadotte

(in reply to KDonovan)
Post #: 256
RE: Battle for New Jersey (like who would want to do that) - 8/18/2006 10:23:58 PM   
Rob Brennan UK

Hi bernadotte , welcome to the nut house

Thanks for the summary KD , caught up nicely without having to trawl
pages and pages .. looks like a very differant game to any i have played so far. Japan has a good commander. I wonder IF karachi can hold out ?

many thanks for posting this one chaps !

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

(in reply to bernadotte)
Post #: 257
RE: Battle for New Jersey (like who would want to do that) - 8/18/2006 11:11:40 PM   
RUPD3658

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/26/42

Japanese Ships
BB Hiei
BB Nagato
BB Mutsu
BB Yamato
BB Yamashiro
BB Hyuga
CA Tone
CA Chikuma
CA Takao
CA Maya
CA Chokai
CA Nachi
CA Mogami
CA Aoba
CA Furutaka
CA Kako

Allied Ships
AK Empire Boswell, Shell hits 8, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
AK Empire Spey, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk

Allied ground losses:
488 casualties reported

Japanese Ships
CA Kako
CA Furutaka
CA Aoba
CA Mogami
CA Nachi
CA Chokai
CA Maya
CA Takao
CA Chikuma
CA Tone
BB Yamashiro
BB Yamato
BB Mutsu
BB Nagato
BB Hiei

Allied ground losses:
643 casualties reported
Guns lost 8
Vehicles lost 4

Airbase hits 4
Airbase supply hits 6
Runway hits 81
Port hits 8
Port fuel hits 1
Port supply hits 2

Allied aircraft
I-16c x 38

Allied aircraft losses
I-16c: 1 destroyed

Japanese ground losses:
43 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Day Air attack on TF, near Kendari at 33,71

Brave but stupid. I guess they did not want to be outdone by my suicidal strike at Luganville last turn

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 120
A6M3 Zero x 3
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 48
Ki-61 KAIc Tony x 7

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 31
B-24D Liberator x 24

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 4 destroyed, 48 damaged
Ki-43-Ib Oscar: 3 destroyed, 14 damaged
Ki-61 KAIc Tony: 5 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 23 destroyed
B-24D Liberator: 17 destroyed

Japanese Ships
AP Kinryu Maru
AK Atago Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x B-24D Liberator bombing at 6000 feet
4 x B-17E Fortress bombing at 6000 feet

Ground combat at Dimapur

Attacking force 342439 troops, 2841 guns, 26 vehicles, Assault Value = 7728

Defending force 33736 troops, 158 guns, 559 vehicles, Assault Value = 553

Allied ground losses:
31 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Attacking force 635654 troops, 6402 guns, 32 vehicles, Assault Value = 12764

Defending force 336097 troops, 26 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 11018

Allied ground losses:
184 casualties reported

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/27/42

Day Air attack on 38th Division, at 33,23

Allied aircraft
I-153c x 32
I-16c x 38

Allied aircraft losses
I-16c: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
60 casualties reported
Ground combat at Dimapur

Attacking force 344618 troops, 2882 guns, 26 vehicles, Assault Value = 7879

Defending force 33409 troops, 152 guns, 555 vehicles, Assault Value = 546

Allied ground losses:
17 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Attacking force 636360 troops, 6420 guns, 31 vehicles, Assault Value = 12820

Defending force 335821 troops, 25 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 11023

Allied ground losses:
190 casualties reported

(in reply to Rob Brennan UK)
Post #: 258
turn sent - 8/19/2006 12:07:00 AM   
KDonovan

i figure this is the fastest way to get Toms attention

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 259
RE: turn sent - 8/19/2006 12:20:49 AM   
RUPD3658

Stuck at work. Will run after midnight.

(in reply to KDonovan)
Post #: 260
RE: Battle for New Jersey (like who would want to do that) - 8/19/2006 12:23:06 AM   
KDonovan

quote:

KDonovan,
Im a newbie playing scenario #15 Vs the Japanese AI. I am hoping to learn quite a bit of the Allied strategy and planning process reading your AAR, and urge you to to write plenty with the knowledge that newbies are reading and learning from it.
Keep it up please. I need the info it provides.

bernadotte

thanks for the comments. I hope you learn quite a bit, so you can move onto PBEM, where the real action is. This being my second PBEM, i'm learning a crap load. Tom is an excellent player as you can see. Not many people have lost both India and China. I wish you could see more insight into my strategy at this point, but this being a joint AAR i can divuldge those secrets.

quote:

Thanks for the summary KD , caught up nicely without having to trawl
pages and pages .. looks like a very differant game to any i have played so far. Japan has a good commander. I wonder IF karachi can hold out ?

hey Rob, good to see you again. Heard you had it out with MRSA sometime ago. Nasty bug....i work as a Medical student in many hospitals, and it seems like they serve MRSA in the cafeteria. Hope you doing better.

I wonder if Karachi can hold out too. Calcutta was one tough nut to crack...if it weren't for the supply situation..i probably could've held out longer. That won't be an issue at Karachi where there is 999999 supply levels. However i will have to deal with constant Bombardments and Air attacks. On the other hand, i've amassed more AV points at Karachi than at Calcutta, and continue to recieve more reinforcements every week. I wonder if i should start changing some units on the West Coast to SEAC and sending them that way.

(in reply to bernadotte)
Post #: 261
RE: Battle for New Jersey (like who would want to do that) - 8/19/2006 4:26:52 AM   
RUPD3658

Since Kenny did such a good recap I figured I might as well do the same.

Date: 8/26/42

North Pacific – I took Attu and Kiska and that is about it. The only highlight was the sinking of an AO by one of my Surface Combat TFs. That will be important later in this report.

Central Pacific – I took Wake and retook Marcus. I made a few raids with surface TFs against Midway sinking a couple of MSWs there. I went one too many times and lost a few DDs.

South Pacific – My biggest lost opportunity so far. I took Lunga and Rabaul early in the game but focused my attention on PM and the DEI afterwards. By the time I had the ships and troops in place Neoumea and Suva were too strong to take. Air raids against bases by both sides have been unproductive but the sea is a no man’s land. My engineers are busily building up the bases around Fortress Rabaul.

North Eastern Australia – Blew up some sheep farms at Cairns but not much else. PM is maxed out in it’s construction and is well defended.

North Western Australia – This is the hot spot. Massive air raids have been exchanged between Keopang, Darwin, and Derby. Aces were made, losses were high on both sides, but overall nothing changed. I may make an attempt to take the 4 bases there just to push my defensive perimeter further out.

India – I have taken all but Karachi and Diampur (which should fall soon). I don’t know if Karachi is takeable due to the unlimited supply and the urban bonus. The fact that there is an air and sea front to attack it from may make it possible. Currently Kenny has pulled most of his troops out to Milar to avoid the BB bombardment and if it ever stops raining I may start bombing it with Sallys. This repositioning of troops may also allow for a head on assault of Karachi from the sea. I figure that even though Karachi can’t be starved out I should be able to destroy squads faster than they can be replaced. With only 25 Brit and 80 Indian squads a month as replacements this may be possible. Worst case I will bottle Karachi up with a large garrison and move my forces out of India.

China - Chungking is all that remains. What I can’t figure out is even though it has been over 90 days since the siege began and 60 since the last unit outside the city was destroyed, the AV and # of troops keeps increasing.

Soviet Union – I have no intention of opening a second front here. The longer I can keep them out of the war the better.

Naval Losses – Kenny pretty much covered this. The high point for the KB was sinking over 300 AC on transports in the IO along with several LCUs. A key point here is that Kenny has lost most all of his AOs. This should limit the operational ability of his CVs when his offensive begins.

Submarine warfare – My subs suck, end of story. The high points have been the sinking of a DMS and an AK full of AC. Aside from that they refuse to shoot at anything that doesn’t shoot at (and usually sink) them first. Mine laying has proved a nuisance if nothing else. The Glen equipped subs have done a good job of scouting.

Air Losses – I am even in A2A and up by about 1000 overall due to ground losses. With the crappy Oscars being replaced by better models I hopefully will do better in A2A especially against 4E bombers.

Economic front- I have a 3.5 month stockpile of oil/resources and a 3 week stockpile of HI points. I have started shutting down production at certain factories due to high numbers in the pools.

Overall – I am happy with what I have accomplished so far. The PI and Malaya campaigns went even better than I expected. I regret not focusing on Neouma and not taking Northern Australia when I had the chance. I have at least one good offensive left and then it is time to dig in.

< Message edited by RUPD3658 -- 8/19/2006 4:29:56 AM >

(in reply to KDonovan)
Post #: 262
Next stop Karachi - 8/19/2006 9:45:22 AM   
RUPD3658

Last base outside Karachi fell. Now can Karachi be taken?

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/28/42

Japanese Ships
DD Oyashio
BB Ise
BB Fuso
BB Kirishima
BB Haruna
BB Kongo

Allied ground losses:
777 casualties reported
Guns lost 13
Vehicles lost 2

Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 15
Port hits 1
Port supply hits 2

TF 73 encounters mine field at Chandpur (30,25)

Japanese Ships
MSW W.8
MSW W.7

Ground combat at Dimapur

Attacking force 414039 troops, 3333 guns, 691 vehicles, Assault Value = 8060

Defending force 33138 troops, 147 guns, 554 vehicles, Assault Value = 542

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 8

Japanese max assault: 7860 - adjusted assault: 4078

Allied max defense: 475 - adjusted defense: 405 Supplies must have been low

Japanese assault odds: 10 to 1 (fort level 8)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Dimapur base !!!

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
I-16c: 30 destroyed
I-153c: 24 destroyed (total was around 100 fighters destroyed on the ground. Pilots, including at least 1 ace will be interogated then shot)

Japanese ground losses:
5330 casualties reported
Guns lost 172
Vehicles lost 6

Allied ground losses:
17108 casualties reported
Guns lost 51
Vehicles lost 289

Attacking force 638498 troops, 6486 guns, 32 vehicles, Assault Value = 12930

Defending force 336117 troops, 24 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 11040

Allied ground losses:
261 casualties reported

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/29/42

Attacking force 640461 troops, 6562 guns, 32 vehicles, Assault Value = 13021

Defending force 335806 troops, 24 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 11058

AV and total number continues to grow. Curious.....

Allied ground losses:
266 casualties reported

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 263
Next stop Karachi! - 8/19/2006 9:04:38 PM   
RUPD3658

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/30/42

ASW attack at 48,114

Japanese Ships
SS I-28, hits 9, on fire, heavy damage (sunk-1st loss in the new submarine offensive)

Allied Ships
DD Dewey
MSW Cromarty
MSW Romney
MSW Poole
MSW Cromer
PG Auricula
PG Freesia
MSW Cuttack
MSW Shepparton
MSW Junee
MSW Tamworth

Attacking force 14353 troops, 465 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 13126

Defending force 335531 troops, 24 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 11074

Allied ground losses:
458 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/31/42

Attacking force 14375 troops, 466 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 13240

Defending force 335060 troops, 21 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 11072

Allied ground losses:
237 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

< Message edited by RUPD3658 -- 8/20/2006 8:33:37 AM >

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 264
Assaulting Karachi-Place your bets - 8/20/2006 8:59:06 AM   
RUPD3658

After having taken Calcutta following a month long battle I am now planning for the assault of Karachi. As I lay awake in bed, waiting for the next turn, my mind wanders. Will Karachi be easier or harder that Calcutta to capture? Here is how the arguments for both go:

Karachi will be harder to take:

1. I estimate that Karachi has 300-400 more AV than Calcutta had (2000AV total).
2. Karachi has unlimited supply and cannot be starved out.
3. Reinforcements will continue to arrive.

Karachi will be easier to take:

1.The mech support bug for the Brit tank units caused the forts to be built back up almost as fast as I knocked them down. There are none at Karachi.
2. Karachi can be bombarded by sea. This will severely disrupt the defenders once they are forced into Karachi and will keep the port/AF damaged thus keeping the engineers too busy to build forts.
3. I have air units available to aid in the attack. I could not due this at Calcutta due to the fact that aviation units were not in the area and the heavy bombers at Calcutta would have plastered any base where I stationed bombers. Also, the Chinese fighters stationed at Calcutta would have made attack too costly.
4. Since I don't have to worry about an exposed flank I can commit more troops to the attack. This should off set the extra units at Karachi. At Calcutta I had to keep troops available to fend off a break out from Karachi. Now all I need to defend against is a sea borne invasion of India from OZ and I can stop this with airpower long before it gets close to the coast.

Go on record now with your guess Prove yourself to be brilliant or misguided

I should get my answer by the end of 1942.

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 265
RE: Next stop Karachi! - 8/20/2006 7:26:08 PM   
KDonovan

quote:

SS I-28, hits 9, on fire, heavy damage (sunk-1st loss in the new submarine offensive)

was wondering why a large number of subs suddenly appeared in my shipping lanes

quote:

Karachi will be harder to take:

1. I estimate that Karachi has 300-400 more AV than Calcutta had (2000AV total).
2. Karachi has unlimited supply and cannot be starved out.
3. Reinforcements will continue to arrive.

actually Calcutta only had 700 AV points...2000 AV was the result of high fort levels an the SEAC-HQ present. While you did "destroy" the SEAC HQ at Calcutta, it will reform at Karachi in a couple weeks, which will increase the AV value of my troops by 90%.

quote:

will be easier to take:

1.The mech support bug for the Brit tank units caused the forts to be built back up almost as fast as I knocked them down. There are none at Karachi.
2. Karachi can be bombarded by sea. This will severely disrupt the defenders once they are forced into Karachi and will keep the port/AF damaged thus keeping the engineers too busy to build forts.
3. I have air units available to aid in the attack. I could not due this at Calcutta due to the fact that aviation units were not in the area and the heavy bombers at Calcutta would have plastered any base where I stationed bombers. Also, the Chinese fighters stationed at Calcutta would have made attack too costly.
4. Since I don't have to worry about an exposed flank I can commit more troops to the attack. This should off set the extra units at Karachi. At Calcutta I had to keep troops available to fend off a break out from Karachi. Now all I need to defend against is a sea borne invasion of India from OZ and I can stop this with airpower long before it gets close to the coast.

fort levels will be a problem, i will admit. As it will be impossible to build them back up once you knock them down with bombardment TFs and Air raids. Air raids will cost you alot of your bombers and pilots, considering the amount of AA-guns present. Plus i hope the persistant bad whether comes in handy. Bombardment TFs will be another problem as i have only two 9.2in CD weapns to hit back with....so as long as you don't have cruisers..you shouldn't have to worry. I can only hope that you build up enough system damage to keep the BBs in the yard from time to time. I guess the good part about having your BBs there, is i won't have to worry about nuke bombardments taking out my planes on the ground in the SOPAC for the time being

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 266
RE: Next stop Karachi! - 8/20/2006 7:39:08 PM   
RUPD3658

quote:

i have only two 9.2in CD weapns to hit back with....so as long as you don't have cruisers..you shouldn't have to worry.

Cruisers and DDs have been doing OK so I thought I took these out.
quote:

Air raids will cost you alot of your bombers and pilots, considering the amount of AA-guns present

Learned this today. 10 Sallys shot down or crashed.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 09/01/42

Japanese Ships
BB Hiei
BB Nagato
BB Mutsu
BB Yamato
BB Yamashiro
CA Tone
CA Chikuma
CA Takao
CA Maya
CA Chokai
CA Nachi
CA Mogami
CA Aoba
CA Furutaka
CA Kako
CL Sendai
CL Naka
DD Amatsukaze
DD Samidare
DD Sagiri
DD Nagatsuki
DD Hatakaze
DD Shiokaze
DD Kuri
DD Hasu

Allied Ships
AK Empire Pintail, Shell hits 15, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Allied ground losses:
62 casualties reported

Japanese Ships
DD Hasu
DD Kuri
DD Shiokaze
DD Hatakaze
DD Nagatsuki
DD Sagiri
DD Samidare
DD Amatsukaze
CL Naka
CL Sendai
CA Kako
CA Furutaka
CA Aoba
CA Mogami
CA Nachi
CA Chokai
CA Maya
CA Takao
CA Chikuma
CA Tone
BB Yamashiro
BB Yamato
BB Mutsu
BB Nagato
BB Hiei

Allied ground losses:
811 casualties reported
Guns lost 7
Vehicles lost 4

Airbase hits 15
Airbase supply hits 7
Runway hits 73
Port hits 13
Port fuel hits 2
Port supply hits 4

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 15
Ki-36 Ida x 3

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
47 casualties reported

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 16

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 116
Ki-49 Helen x 81

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
243 casualties reported

Airbase hits 6
Runway hits 132

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Malir , at 22,4

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 46
Ki-21 Sally x 89

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21 Sally: 1 destroyed, 25 damaged

Allied ground losses:
36 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Airbase hits 7
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 46

Attacking force 14375 troops, 466 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 13346

Defending force 334064 troops, 20 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 11064

Allied ground losses:
491 casualties reported

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 09/02/42

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 16
Ki-36 Ida x 3

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
101 casualties reported

Runway hits 19

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 134
Ki-49 Helen x 88

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
603 casualties reported

Airbase hits 11
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 221

Day Air attack on Malir , at 22,4

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 46
Ki-21 Sally x 63

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21 Sally: 15 damaged

Allied ground losses:
14 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 1

Airbase hits 6
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 33
Sub attack near Perth at 7,100

Japanese Ships
SS I-166, hits 9, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
MSW Latrobe
MSW Maryborough
MSW Goulburn
MSW Burnie
PG Jasmine
PG Thyme

Attacking force 14342 troops, 466 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 13463

Defending force 332243 troops, 19 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 11039

Allied ground losses:
471 casualties reported

(in reply to KDonovan)
Post #: 267
Repelled at Chunking - 8/21/2006 1:07:21 AM   
RUPD3658

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 09/03/42

Japanese Ships
DD Oyashio
BB Ise
BB Fuso
BB Kirishima
BB Haruna
BB Kongo

Allied ground losses:
741 casualties reported
Guns lost 9
Vehicles lost 1

Airbase hits 3
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 21
Port hits 7
Port fuel hits 3
Port supply hits 1

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 18
Ki-36 Ida x 3

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
33 casualties reported

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 10

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 131
Ki-49 Helen x 74

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
257 casualties reported

Airbase hits 3
Runway hits 117
Day Air attack on Karachi , at 21,3

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 46
Ki-46-II Dinah x 4

No Japanese losses

Airbase hits 4
Runway hits 20

Can't figure out why my assault was reduced by 80%. Supply, moral, and disruption are all good and every HQ is in the hex. Planning is 100%.

To top it off 2500 engineers again failed to reduce the fort level. At leat the adjusted defender's value seems to have fallen from last month.

Stanger yet, Kenny tells me there is still supply. They have been cut off for over 3 months. Maybe cannabalism?

Attacking force 685854 troops, 6862 guns, 760 vehicles, Assault Value = 13547

Defending force 331088 troops, 18 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 11004

Japanese max assault: 13662 - adjusted assault: 2845

Allied max defense: 9580 - adjusted defense: 15825

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 9)

Japanese ground losses:
71453 casualties reported
Guns lost 1436
Vehicles lost 91

Allied ground losses:
2994 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 09/04/42

Night Time Surface Combat at 2,59

Japanese Ships
AV Kimikawa Maru, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
DD Nepal

ASW attack at 71,109

Japanese Ships
SS RO-62, hits 9

Allied Ships
PC Reliance
PG Dawson
MSW Outarde
MSW Nipigon
MSW Cochin
MSW Baroda
MSW Agra

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 15
Ki-36 Ida x 3

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
6 casualties reported

Runway hits 14

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 61
Ki-46-II Dinah x 5

No Japanese losses

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 29
Day Air attack on Koepang , at 28,77

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 1

Allied aircraft
Wellington III x 54
B-25C Mitchell x 68

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Wellington III: 3 destroyed, 3 damaged
B-25C Mitchell: 2 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
55 casualties reported
Guns lost 7

Airbase hits 10
Airbase supply hits 9
Runway hits 63

Attacking force 14352 troops, 495 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 7685

Defending force 326981 troops, 17 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 10936

Allied ground losses:
41 casualties reported

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 268
RE: Repelled at Chunking - 8/22/2006 4:36:06 AM   
RUPD3658

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 09/05/42

Day Air attack on TF at 2,62

Japanese aircraft
E13A1 Jake x 2
E7K2 Alf x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
E13A1 Jake: 1 damaged
E7K2 Alf: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Nepal

Attacking force 14241 troops, 464 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 8007

Defending force 327459 troops, 17 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 10956

Allied ground losses:
332 casualties reported

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 09/06/42

Day Air attack on TF at 2,64

Like gnats swarming

Japanese aircraft
E13A1 Jake x 2
E7K2 Alf x 4

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
DD Nepal, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Japanese Ships
DD Hasu
DD Kuri
DD Shiokaze
DD Hatakaze
DD Nagatsuki
DD Sagiri
DD Samidare
DD Amatsukaze
CL Naka
CL Sendai
CA Kako
CA Furutaka
CA Aoba
CA Mogami
CA Nachi
CA Chokai
CA Maya
CA Takao
CA Chikuma
CA Tone
BB Yamashiro
BB Yamato
BB Mutsu
BB Nagato
BB Hiei

Allied ground losses:
1868 casualties reported
Guns lost 3
Vehicles lost 2

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 8
Runway hits 136
Port hits 9
Port fuel hits 1
Port supply hits 9

Attacking force 14358 troops, 465 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 8306

Defending force 327795 troops, 17 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 10972

Allied ground losses:
630 casualties reported

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 269
RE: Repelled at Chunking - 8/22/2006 3:13:00 PM   
RUPD3658

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 09/07/42

Japanese Ships
DD Hasu
DD Kuri
DD Shiokaze
DD Hatakaze
DD Nagatsuki
DD Sagiri
DD Samidare
DD Amatsukaze
CL Naka
CL Sendai
CA Kako
CA Furutaka
CA Aoba
CA Mogami
CA Nachi
CA Chokai
CA Maya
CA Takao
CA Chikuma
CA Tone
BB Yamashiro
BB Yamato
BB Mutsu
BB Nagato
BB Hiei

Allied ground losses:
252 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 1

Airbase hits 3
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 41
Port hits 7
Port supply hits 2

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 88
Ki-46-II Dinah x 5

No Japanese losses

Airbase hits 3
Runway hits 43

Day Air attack on TF at 2,66

Japanese aircraft
E13A1 Jake x 3
E7K2 Alf x 5

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
DD Nepal, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Day Air attack on Tarawa , at 85,91

Allied aircraft
B-24D Liberator x 49

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
6 casualties reported

Airbase hits 2
Runway hits 1
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 09/08/42

Japanese Ships
DD Satsuki
DD Umikaze
DD Sagi
DD Hiyodori
DD Kasasagi
DD Kuretake
DD Wakatake
DD Tachikaze
DD Akebono
DD Amagiri
DD Fubuki
DD Akatsuki
DD Sanae
DD Tsuga
DD Namikaze
DD Nokaze
DD Yakaze
DD Akikaze
DD Hakaze
DD Okikaze

Allied Ships
AK Empire Driver, Shell hits 9, on fire

Allied ground losses:
64 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Airbase hits 5
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 32
Port hits 3
Port fuel hits 1
Port supply hits 1

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 85
Ki-46-II Dinah x 4

No Japanese losses

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 58
Day Air attack on TF at 2,68

Japanese aircraft
E13A1 Jake x 3
E7K2 Alf x 5

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
DD Nepal, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage (Gnats may sink it yet)

Japanese Ships
DD Satsuki
DD Umikaze
DD Sagi
DD Hiyodori
DD Kasasagi
DD Kuretake
DD Wakatake
DD Tachikaze
DD Akebono
DD Amagiri
DD Fubuki
DD Akatsuki
DD Sanae
DD Tsuga
DD Namikaze
DD Nokaze
DD Yakaze
DD Akikaze
DD Hakaze
DD Okikaze

Allied Ships
AK Empire Driver, Shell hits 7, on fire, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
7 casualties reported

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 39
Port hits 6
Port fuel hits 2
Port supply hits 2

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Seige of Calcutta Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI