Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Really dumb question about icon color

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Really dumb question about icon color Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Really dumb question about icon color - 4/15/2006 1:40:51 AM   
Pants

I am sure this question has been asked a number of times, but I haven't found the answer yet:

Several of the built-in background colors in TOAW: COW appear identical on my screen (examples: the tenth column from the left and the fifth column from the right). I noticed that these don't share foreground colors, so they are mutually exclusive icon color sets. Are these counted as the same background color (thus allowing you ten foreground colors for some backgrounds), or as different colors?

Thanks,

Jon
Post #: 1
RE: Really dumb question about icon color - 4/15/2006 12:04:08 PM   
Telumar

quote:

Are these counted as the same background color (thus allowing you ten foreground colors for some backgrounds), or as different colors?

They are counted as different coulours. You can make a test scenario (if you don't believe), with two formations of one side, from which one has the 10th column and the other one the 5th column from the right as unit icon colours. Set the two formations on internal support, don't forget the enemy, start the scen and look into the attack planing dialogue. The back flag will show up..

Btw, hope matrix does something with the icon colours. Some of them are really hurting my eyes...

(in reply to Pants)
Post #: 2
RE: Really dumb question about icon color - 4/15/2006 4:23:53 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar

They are counted as different coulours. You can make a test scenario (if you don't believe), with two formations of one side, from which one has the 10th column and the other one the 5th column from the right as unit icon colours. Set the two formations on internal support, don't forget the enemy, start the scen and look into the attack planing dialogue. The back flag will show up..

Ah, not to say you're necessarily wrong, but on 'internal support', units will have zero co-operation (i.e., the black flag) even with units from the same column (so long as they have a different foreground colour). Use army support to test this theory.

quote:

Btw, hope matrix does something with the icon colours. Some of them are really hurting my eyes...

Really? They seem fine to me. In any case, I don't see this as a priority. Maybe turn the brightness down on your monitor?

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 3
RE: Really dumb question about icon color - 4/15/2006 5:50:59 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar

quote:

Really? They seem fine to me. In any case, I don't see this as a priority. Maybe turn the brightness down on your monitor?

You can also mod the graphics files easily (even more easily in TOAW 3)

< Message edited by ralphtrick -- 4/16/2006 4:51:59 PM >

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 4
RE: Really dumb question about icon color - 4/16/2006 12:06:59 AM   
Telumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

Ah, not to say you're necessarily wrong, but on 'internal support', units will have zero co-operation (i.e., the black flag) even with units from the same column (so long as they have a different foreground colour). Use army support to test this theory.

I confess, i repent and i revoke!

For the unit colours..beauty lays in the eye of the viewer...

< Message edited by Telumar -- 4/16/2006 12:07:31 AM >

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 5
A NEW dumb question... - 4/16/2006 9:58:01 PM   
Pants

Ok, here's a new dumb question: I can't get anti-ship missiles to work properly. I never tried to use them before, but they don't work now. Am I missing something? They won't attack to- or -from deep water hexes, anchorages, or land. I cannot conduct a bombardment attack, and they don't seem to participate in regular combat. Do I have a bad version of the game? Am I on crack?

Thanks,

Jon

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 6
RE: A NEW dumb question... - 4/16/2006 11:33:19 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pants

Ok, here's a new dumb question: I can't get anti-ship missiles to work properly. I never tried to use them before, but they don't work now. Am I missing something? They won't attack to- or -from deep water hexes, anchorages, or land. I cannot conduct a bombardment attack, and they don't seem to participate in regular combat. Do I have a bad version of the game? Am I on crack?

Only coastal artillery, air or naval iconed units can attack ships at range.

A problem for Matrix to fix (if they haven't already) is that, because they have a move of zero, when coastal artillery units attack they automatically end the turn. The only way around this currently is to give the units a naval icon plus fixed guns. This can be made to work but I might be forgetting some of the requirements.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 4/16/2006 11:34:07 PM >

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Pants)
Post #: 7
May be another dumb question... - 4/17/2006 4:01:43 AM   
Pants

quote:

Only coastal artillery, air or naval iconed units can attack ships at range.

D'oh! So there is an obvious answer! Thanks again, GD!

Ok, this may be another dumb question: when I have "distant locations," the movement cost to pass through them is never reported as being more than one. Further, the movement points of units are only reduced by the cost to move one hex. I have tested this for both naval units and units using helicopter movement. Is this a glitch?

Jon

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 8
RE: May be another dumb question... - 4/17/2006 4:52:05 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pants

Ok, this may be another dumb question: when I have "distant locations," the movement cost to pass through them is never reported as being more than one. Further, the movement points of units are only reduced by the cost to move one hex. I have tested this for both naval units and units using helicopter movement. Is this a glitch?

Distance-to hexes only affect long-range fire. Their principal use is for off-map airfields.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Pants)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Really dumb question about icon color Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI