Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Create new nations?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Create new nations? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Create new nations? - 4/16/2006 5:56:48 PM   
Baterja_6

Hey all, I would like to create a couple of new nations for some pre WW2 battles. Is this possible at all? If not, is it possible to change an existing nation from one to another? I'm already getting the urge to tinker with things.

Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: Create new nations? - 4/16/2006 6:28:24 PM   
Don Doom

Just copy and exitisting one, then empty it out and fill it with the equipment you want, then swap it in and out as you play.

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

(in reply to Baterja_6)
Post #: 2
RE: Create new nations? - 4/16/2006 6:59:10 PM   
FlashfyreSP

In addition to that, you may want to change the flags used in the game. These are in 4 SHP files: Battle.shp, Batbut.shp, Icon16.shp, and Icon61.shp. To change a flag:

1. Load each of the SHP files into the ShpEdit program.
2. Locate the country flag you are going to replace.
3. Save these as BMP files (using the ShpEditor Save function).
4. Using an image program (I use Paint Shop Pro 7), replace the old flag with your new country flag.
5. After you have created the various flag BMPs (6 total, I believe), make copies of all 4 SHP files, then replace the appropriate SHPs according to the instructions in the ShpEdit manual.

These new SHP files can then be included in a Mod, if you want, of copied directly to the SHP folder.

Unfortunately, you cannot add new countries, and some things, like leader names and the country name itself, cannot be changed either. These are hard-coded into the mech.exe file. So, you'll still see the original country name displayed in all text messages and mouse-over boxes.

(in reply to Don Doom)
Post #: 3
RE: Create new nations? - 4/16/2006 9:30:40 PM   
Baterja_6

Thankyou for the information fellows.

As a curiousity question, why is the information hard coded in that file? Is it to keep the versions the same, ie. a modified country on one persons computer would not be compatable with the plain version on another? Thanks again.

(in reply to FlashfyreSP)
Post #: 4
RE: Create new nations? - 5/25/2006 6:45:12 PM   
Don Doom

Actually Baterja_6 you can can the nations names and the names used in the game, people have been doing for years. Pm me and I will let you know how as i was shown.

Doom

(in reply to Baterja_6)
Post #: 5
RE: Create new nations? - 8/9/2006 5:03:29 PM   
Robert_S

quote:

Unfortunately, you cannot add new countries, and some things, like leader names and the country name itself, cannot be changed either. These are hard-coded into the mech.exe file. So, you'll still see the original country name displayed in all text messages and mouse-over boxes.

Actually I had explained a couple of years ago how to change country Exp, morale and other country ratings on Mr Flash's forum. Apparently, my explanation was a little too complex for him and he dismissed it out of hand. You cannot create an extra country slot, but as Doom states, you can replace a country in the game with new flags and a new name. You want to choose a country that does not have special characteristics assigned to it, however.

As for Mr. Doom, why must he email you? Why can't you be more like our mentor, Wild Bill and simply present the know-how to our members? Surely being explained from such noted experts as yourselves, people will listen.

(in reply to Don Doom)
Post #: 6
RE: Create new nations? - 8/9/2006 8:05:24 PM   
FlashfyreSP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Robert_S

quote:

Actually I had explained a couple of years ago how to change country Exp, morale and other country ratings on Mr Flash's forum. Apparently, my explanation was a little too complex for him and he dismissed it out of hand. You cannot create an extra country slot, but as Doom states, you can replace a country in the game with new flags and a new name. You want to choose a country that does not have special characteristics assigned to it, however.

As for Mr. Doom, why must he email you? Why can't you be more like our mentor, Wild Bill and simply present the know-how to our members? Surely being explained from such noted experts as yourselves, people will listen.

You can only change the Leader Names, Ratings, and Country Names if you "hex edit" the mech.exe file. And that is not done easily by most people, nor is it encouraged by Matrix, as it technically violates the copyrights for the game code. However, with the addition of TheDesertRat's mechEdit program, the Experience and Morale ratings can now be "unloaded" from the mech.exe and replaced with whatever ratings one wishes. The program only works with the current 8.403 mech.exe, though.

I know all about replacing the flags, as I have done so with my South Africa OOB; but without "breaking into" the game code, casual users cannot change the leader or country names as they can the OOB data. Even changing flags is complicated for the casual player, and is not something I would recommend to anyone without cautioning them to practice on backup copies of the SHP files.

(in reply to Robert_S)
Post #: 7
RE: Create new nations? - 8/9/2006 10:34:14 PM   
Rob_S

I apologize for my comments.  I had no right.  You guys have put a lot into this game. To be quite honest I'm not feeling well.

Robert

Post #: 8
RE: Create new nations? - 8/10/2006 5:01:48 AM   
Don Doom

quote:

ORIGINAL: FlashfyreSP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Robert_S

quote:

You can only change the Leader Names, Ratings, and Country Names if you "hex edit" the mech.exe file. And that is not done easily by most people, nor is it encouraged by Matrix, as it technically violates the copyrights for the game code. However, with the addition of TheDesertRat's mechEdit program, the Experience and Morale ratings can now be "unloaded" from the mech.exe and replaced with whatever ratings one wishes. The program only works with the current 8.403 mech.exe, though.

I know all about replacing the flags, as I have done so with my South Africa OOB; but without "breaking into" the game code, casual users cannot change the leader or country names as they can the OOB data. Even changing flags is complicated for the casual player, and is not something I would recommend to anyone without cautioning them to practice on backup copies of the SHP files.

Actually using a hex editor is not changing any of the code just data fields so it does not violate the copyright. But it is very easy to do and if you back up your file[mech.exe], there is no problem if one does show up. People have been changing the leader names since version one, which makes it hard for anyone to say anything at this late date. I will write a short step by step manual and post it here when I am done with the work on the shp files I am working on.

Doom

Post #: 9
RE: Create new nations? - 8/10/2006 5:12:34 AM   
azraelck

The hard part of hex editing is digging through all the values. I used to do it with the Universal Game Editor. You could edit pretty much any save file, and create a static set of variables to let you edit values without digging through the numbers over and over for every time you wanted to edit something.

It's more boring than difficult, but it can cause a good many errors if your editing a exe file and don't know what your doing.

"Wait... Holden was a cat. Suddenly it makes sense."

(in reply to Don Doom)
Post #: 10
RE: Create new nations? - 8/11/2006 1:19:27 AM   
Alby

You can change leader names AND country names.
notice the different spelling of "ROMANIA" in Enhanced

there are 3 or 4 sets of each I think.
finding the right one can be boring and time consuming to say the least..

< Message edited by Alby -- 8/11/2006 4:38:01 AM >

(in reply to azraelck)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Create new nations? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI