Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Wondering why I can't crack this base

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Wondering why I can't crack this base Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wondering why I can't crack this base - 4/17/2006 9:28:13 PM   
waynesworld

I'm still playing my first campaign with WITP and I'm stumped on how to crack this one fortress...

I'm playing 1.6 and I've got 360,000 raving blood thirsty infantry assulting 70,000 defenders at Canton with a fortress size of 9. I've got two engineering units with them (base forces, not construction types) and I can't get the base to start cracking under the assult at all.

I've broken many other bases with just 2 to 1 odds or even better than 1 to 1 odds but I'm stumped by this one. I keep pooring in more troops and assult the fortress only to show that its holding firm.

What am I missing other than a good nuke?
Post #: 1
RE: Wondering why I can't crack this base - 4/17/2006 9:40:59 PM   
dtravel

A level 9 fort is going to require 11-1 odds or better to take in a single assault. No offense, but I suspect that ain't gonna happen here. So its a siege.

What you need to do is wear the fortifications and the defenders down. First off, Base Forces are not assault units. They don't have the right kind of engineers. Pull them out, send them back to another base where they can do what they are intended for. Which is support aircraft.

Next, surround the base. You need to cut the base off from outside supply. At Canton, this means physically putting a combat unit in the surrounding hexes (combat units because your opponent will attempt to break the siege and you will want to be able to hold). Once the defenders run out of supply, their combat strength drops drastically.

Wearing down the defenders means keeping pressure on them. Bomb them from the air with Ground Attack missions; bomb the airfield to force them to expend supplies repairing it (they don't have a choice about this, game mechanics); use Bombardment attacks from selected units in between assaults.

Wearing down the fortifications requires attacking. Everytime you get 2-1 or better odds (it may be 1-1, getting old and me memory is fading) there is a chance you will reduce the fort level. Launch a deliberate attack, then next turn put most of your units on Defensive Stance to let them recover for a few days while others in better shape make Bombardment attacks. Repeat this and eventually the forts will be destroyed.

There are other things as well, making sure your own forces have sufficient supply, having HQ units to boost your AV and provide support, etc. Read the forum and do some searches, it has been discussed a number of times with lots of good advice given.

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

(in reply to waynesworld)
Post #: 2
RE: Wondering why I can't crack this base - 4/17/2006 9:44:29 PM   
Mike Solli

It's gonna take awhile. You'll most likely have to reduce the number of forts first. To take a base you need odds of 2 (or maybe 1) over the current fort level (10 or 11:1 with a level 9 fort).

Post #: 3
RE: Wondering why I can't crack this base - 4/17/2006 10:02:21 PM   
waynesworld

Okay, I hear what you're both saying but I've sacked five other level nine forts with only 2 to 1 odds and once with 1 to 1 odds. Rangoon was at nine - sacked easily by 180,000 to 80,000 defenders. Aykab was level nine when sacked by 230,000 to 110 defenders. Two other Chinese bases by Wuhan were sacked at 100,000 to 80,000 defenders as well - and they were still in supply routes from railways from other Jap bases. Rangoon and Aykab were possible low supply weakened defenders for sure as nothing was getting in via sea to both for months before they were assulted by land.

What is coming into play to make this one base so darn untouchable when the other railroad open bases fell quickly?

Post #: 4
RE: Wondering why I can't crack this base - 4/17/2006 11:58:05 PM   
dtravel

Okay, when you say "2 to 1 odds" are you referring to the numbers of attackers to defenders? Or are you referring to the Assault Value combat odds? It is the Assault Value combat odds that matter.

Post #: 5
RE: Wondering why I can't crack this base - 4/18/2006 1:59:14 PM   
Sardaukar

And you need "Engineer squad"-type of engineers, seen in unit info screen (aka Combat or Assault Engineers). Without those you will have trouble taking down fort levels.Most units have those squads in them, but Chinese units are notoriously short of those troops..and I think some Japanese units too. Those that show as "Engineers" are just construction engineers with no assault value. Shock attacks can also take down fortifications fast...but they can be very very costly against determined defenses.

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 6
RE: Wondering why I can't crack this base - 4/18/2006 4:56:36 PM   
waynesworld

Okay - the assult odds are the final results of the combat - like the 0-1 (fort level 9) messages in the combat report or not?

I thought the assult odds are the shifting assult values you see during the ground combat screens that jump all over...if those are the assult values being modified - how do you ever know what they will be other than engaging into combat to see the values?

Great tip on looking for engineering types in combat units - didn't realize some had them in them. No wonder base units don't count towards the 'having an engineer' present when doing assults to reduce forces didn't work with base units. Live and learn - thanks for that pointer.

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 7
RE: Wondering why I can't crack this base - 4/18/2006 5:23:19 PM   
Sardaukar

Basicly..you don't know for sure before engaging...

In upcoming patch 1.8 one can at least see the other values than final modified assault value without having animations on. Lot of things modifies the values..for every unit. Fatigue, morale, disruption, experience, leadership..and who knows what else. There just is no way to know for sure before combat.

Post #: 8
RE: Wondering why I can't crack this base - 4/18/2006 7:32:27 PM   
saj42

quote:

ORIGINAL: waynesworld

Okay, I hear what you're both saying but I've sacked five other level nine forts with only 2 to 1 odds and once with 1 to 1 odds. Rangoon was at nine - sacked easily by 180,000 to 80,000 defenders. Aykab was level nine when sacked by 230,000 to 110 defenders. Two other Chinese bases by Wuhan were sacked at 100,000 to 80,000 defenders as well - and they were still in supply routes from railways from other Jap bases. Rangoon and Aykab were possible low supply weakened defenders for sure as nothing was getting in via sea to both for months before they were assulted by land.

What is coming into play to make this one base so darn untouchable when the other railroad open bases fell quickly?

Canton is a city/urban hex (defenders AV is quadrupled), the other bases you attacked were not.

do what the others have stated - surround him, use up his supply, bomb/bombard and attack (with engineer regiments) to reduce fort levels.

Post #: 9
RE: Wondering why I can't crack this base - 4/18/2006 11:36:45 PM   
waynesworld

Darn - must have missed that in my glance over the manual...

Thank you all for the tips - very much appreciated!

(in reply to saj42)
Post #: 10
RE: Wondering why I can't crack this base - 4/19/2006 2:44:43 AM   
dtravel

Ah yes, the manual. Well, with the manual AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! *muffled words and thuds as forum veterans pile on to beat me unconcious before I can get started*

Post #: 11
RE: Wondering why I can't crack this base - 4/19/2006 11:10:12 AM   
afspret

I'm having a problem ejecting invaders from Koepang on Timor. I have mixed bag of Dutch and Aussie Inf units, along with an Aussie Tank Rgt, (totaling just just over 30k troops) facing about 7400 IJA troops, with no armored support and almost no arty. I've been shelling and bombing them on a daily basis for 4 months before launching a shock attack using all my LCUs. The first attack I had a 120 to 1 advantage but only managed to inflict something like 455 casualties (I suffered 230 something). The next attack the combat report said I had 724 to 1 advantage and this time I had more casualties than the AI, which is still holding its ground.

I must point out that Koepang has been under my control since turn 1 and they have not gotten any supplies since I obliderated a re-supply TF about 2 months ago. I can't understand why they haven't died on the vine, or at least fallen back from the Koepang hex.

Post #: 12
RE: Wondering why I can't crack this base - 4/19/2006 1:32:42 PM   
pauk

quote:

ORIGINAL: afspret
I can't understand why they haven't died on the vine, or at least fallen back from the Koepang hex.

I guess they don't have retreat path so they are stuck there. With current ground combat model it tooks a lot of time to force enemy in open hex (with no retreat path) on surrender

(in reply to afspret)
Post #: 13
RE: Wondering why I can't crack this base - 4/19/2006 10:30:30 PM   
dtravel

quote:

I'm having a problem ejecting invaders from Koepang on Timor. I have mixed bag of Dutch and Aussie Inf units, along with an Aussie Tank Rgt, (totaling just just over 30k troops) facing about 7400 IJA troops, with no armored support and almost no arty. I've been shelling and bombing them on a daily basis for 4 months before launching a shock attack using all my LCUs. The first attack I had a 120 to 1 advantage but only managed to inflict something like 455 casualties (I suffered 230 something). The next attack the combat report said I had 724 to 1 advantage and this time I had more casualties than the AI, which is still holding its ground.

I must point out that Koepang has been under my control since turn 1 and they have not gotten any supplies since I obliderated a re-supply TF about 2 months ago. I can't understand why they haven't died on the vine, or at least fallen back from the Koepang hex.

*checks watch, wonders what's taking Ron so long*

(in reply to afspret)
Post #: 14
RE: Wondering why I can't crack this base - 4/19/2006 10:38:00 PM   
mlees

quote:

I guess they don't have retreat path so they are stuck there. With current ground combat model it tooks a lot of time to force enemy in open hex (with no retreat path) on surrender

I think they are in an Allied Base hex that they failed to capture.

It seems that the Allied formations (at least, non chinese) don't seem to have a problem dying or surrendering.

(Antecdotal evidence, I realise.) I just restarted an CHS scenario, and the IJA is having no probs conquering Malaya. Singapore is gonna fall in the 2nd week of January. (One of the reasons I dont play a human is that the AI still is a handfull for me. Or maybe I shouldn't have said that...)

Do AI controlled formations have a better chance at surviving?

Do they (AI controlled LCU's) have lowered supply requirements and effects?

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 15
RE: Wondering why I can't crack this base - 4/20/2006 12:38:25 AM   
pauk

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlees
It seems that the Allied formations (at least, non chinese) don't seem to have a problem dying or surrendering.

greetings....

are you talking about allied base hex strictly? if not, i'm assure that all allied units behaviour as japanese - they don't surrender.....

It took me a quite a long to force surrender of encircled Aussie inf division on open hex (pauk's corner AAR)

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 16
RE: Wondering why I can't crack this base - 4/20/2006 12:59:57 AM   
mlees

quote:

are you talking about allied base hex strictly? if not, i'm assure that all allied units behaviour as japanese - they don't surrender.....

No. I had some units in Malaya caught off from legal retreat paths in a non base hex. The AI playing the IJA killed them with their second shock attack (in two days, one right after another. Move in on day one, shock attack. Day two, shock attack, and the white flags came out.), and they got less than 10-1 odds in thier favor.

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 17
RE: Wondering why I can't crack this base - 4/20/2006 1:30:37 AM   
pauk

hmmm... i do not know about AI but i have similiar situations like you've discribed but in PBEM.... and they did not surrender after one, two or more attacks....it took me a looong time to defeat them....

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 18
RE: Wondering why I can't crack this base - 4/20/2006 2:12:02 AM   
mlees

quote:

ORIGINAL: pauk

hmmm... i do not know about AI but i have similiar situations like you've discribed but in PBEM.... and they did not surrender after one, two or more attacks....it took me a looong time to defeat them....

That's what I hear. I don't disbelieve those stories. I just wish my units would do the same thing.

Ah well. Builds character, right?

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 19
RE: Wondering why I can't crack this base - 4/20/2006 4:17:17 AM   
afspret

Never mind, three turns after patching to 1.8 I completely wiped out the IJA 38th Inf Div.
A coincidence, maybe, but I ain't going to complain about!

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 20
RE: Wondering why I can't crack this base - 4/20/2006 2:08:33 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

AI does use transport planes for airlifting supply. If you don't have CAP in place, that might happen. And barges acan sneak in..but those should at least be spotted. And if you are playing against AI on Very hard, good luck trying to get AI units out of supply. They have *huge* bonus on Very Hard.

(in reply to afspret)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Wondering why I can't crack this base Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI