Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Suggestion: Add new rating for disposition

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Suggestion: Add new rating for disposition Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Suggestion: Add new rating for disposition - 5/11/2006 4:50:51 AM   
JimboJ

Shaun - Would it be possible to add another rating for disposition for when a player sits on the bench too long and becomes disgruntled and/or stagnant? This should make his ratings decline similar to when he is tired. I think the old Baseball for Windows game used to call this "itchy", and I have not seen another sim since that use a similar rating.

As it is now, it's too easy to play the same lineup every night. Unless a regular starter becomes tired or injured, there is no reason to ever vary the lineup. I think it would add another strategy dimension, and make the game more interesting and realistic. Real managers struggle every day to find the right balance between using more talented players and getting the bench players into the game.

< Message edited by JimboJ -- 5/11/2006 4:52:01 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Suggestion: Add new rating for disposition - 5/11/2006 5:04:45 PM   
redeck

i think this would be very fun and should effect his resignability in the off season.

but id rather have complete control over expansion first.

thanks,
Dave

(in reply to JimboJ)
Post #: 2
RE: Suggestion: Add new rating for disposition - 5/11/2006 7:53:37 PM   
Amaroq

Jimbo,

Shaun used to have players getting disgruntled (back in PS2003, I think?) and ripped it out, I think in the name of performance? If he doesn't have to calculate disgruntled-ness for every player after every game, the game simulates much quicker.

I've been wanting to see something similar in terms of contract negotiations - if I have a player who *could* start for most other teams in the league, but he's languishing on my bench or in AAA, I want to see him realize that and refuse to re-sign with me.

As for 'itchy', it sounds like the effect was similar to Football Manager's 'match fitness' - basically, in FM, you have to get every player a match every 7 to 14 days, or they loose fitness, and it takes them a few games to get 'sharp'. A similar mechanism would work here - if bench players have to see regular pitches, or their ability to hit goes down, and takes a bit to come back up. It would mean you'd at least want to rotate your regular pinch hitters into the lineup.

(in reply to redeck)
Post #: 3
RE: Suggestion: Add new rating for disposition - 5/12/2006 3:18:42 AM   
JimboJ

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amaroq
Shaun used to have players getting disgruntled (back in PS2003, I think?) and ripped it out, I think in the name of performance? If he doesn't have to calculate disgruntled-ness for every player after every game, the game simulates much quicker.

I'm not sure there necessarily needs to be another calculation for disgruntledness. Its more of just another degree of fatigue, only on the opposite end of the scale. Just as a player playing too many innings has a negative effect on his performance, so too should playing too few innings. As a player gets mored rest, he goes from tired -> fair -> good -> great -> bored.

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 4
RE: Suggestion: Add new rating for disposition - 5/12/2006 3:31:00 AM   
KG Erwin

A different take on this is the desire for players to lean towards certain teams during the free agent signing period. Also, how willing are your players to sign a contract extension? This makes me think that some vestiges of that "disgruntleness" might still be in the code.

Yet another way to do this is to give each player a "loyalty" rating, but how in the world can one quantify something like that? For a fictional association, a random factor could be assigned, but for real players, that's something else.

Again, the above considerations MAY already be factored into contract negotiations.

Shaun, does each player have a "personality", so to speak?

(in reply to JimboJ)
Post #: 5
RE: Suggestion: Add new rating for disposition - 5/12/2006 3:34:20 AM   
Amaroq

Right, or "tired -> fair -> good -> great -> a little rusty -> rusty".

I think the problem was that Shaun hadn't originally implemented it as a continuation of that spectrum.

Also, one of the ways he's implement aging in PureSim is to 'cap' an older player's fatigue level. So, a 36-year-old might never progress beyond 'good' to 'great'; he'd have to fix that to allow the 36-year-old to progress to 'rusty' or 'bored'. (I'd like to see that anyways, with the aging player suffering more fatigue penalty per game played, rather than capped in terms of his overall health).

(in reply to JimboJ)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Suggestion: Add new rating for disposition Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI