Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: No retreat, no surrender

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> RE: No retreat, no surrender Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: No retreat, no surrender - 7/3/2006 7:48:47 PM   
esteban

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

True. However, they were able, in certain cases, to interdict the flow of supplies down a road. Not that what I started this thread with resembles such a case, but still.

Unfortunately, in this game, your guerillas can move into a 600 resource center hex (don't have to control the base in the hex to block the resource production) and then interdict resource production in that hex for something close to eternity.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 31
RE: No retreat, no surrender - 7/3/2006 7:52:43 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: esteban

quote:

True. However, they were able, in certain cases, to interdict the flow of supplies down a road. Not that what I started this thread with resembles such a case, but still.

Unfortunately, in this game, your guerillas can move into a 600 resource center hex (don't have to control the base in the hex to block the resource production) and then interdict resource production in that hex for something close to eternity.

Well, if eternity = 8 weeks or less, probably true.

If continually attacked, bombed, etc., the residual forces will evaporate. It didn't take months or years.

(in reply to esteban)
Post #: 32
RE: No retreat, no surrender - 7/4/2006 3:59:18 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: dtravel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown
FWIW that is the way I view it as well. As you say there were often cases where small groups held out in remote areas for months (i.e away from "bases").

Which is nice in theory but falls apart very quickly when you remember that partisan groups were NOT capable of holding up divisional movements for weeks at a time.

True, but that is an argument for improving the way ZOCs and movement are handled, not about combat vs small and/or scattered forces in remote areas.

Andrew

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 33
RE: No retreat, no surrender - 7/4/2006 11:49:54 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: esteban

quote:

Well, if eternity = 8 weeks or less, probably true.

If continually attacked, bombed, etc., the residual forces will evaporate. It didn't take months or years.

Reading "The Last Valley" right now (highly recomend, btw). Windrow discribes very vividly how the Viet Minh were able to sit on the transport routes. That is, technically, it doesnt take much, a fire ambush here, a ditch there, a well placed mine or grenade in a third place. Not only did every convoy require strong protection, but it also needed preparation, patrols, guard posts, engineers, air cover, you name it. So I'll readily believe that a unit of stragglers can just sit on a supply route. But then, so much depends on the terrain and strength of enemy presence that its virtually impossible to code a system that could represent that realistically.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 34
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> RE: No retreat, no surrender Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI