Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The brilliant (and charming) Count Czernin

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: The brilliant (and charming) Count Czernin Page: <<   < prev  56 57 [58] 59 60   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The brilliant (and charming) Count Czernin - 11/10/2007 2:11:50 AM   
Terminus

Reminds me of the latin lesson skit from Life of Brian. I had a latin teacher who was sort of like that, except she didn't wear Roman armour... much...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 1711
RE: The brilliant (and charming) Count Czernin - 11/10/2007 12:50:31 PM   
saj42

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

**********SEAC Air Transport Command, Ledo, October 6, 1942*********

The brilliant (and charming) Count Czernin stands in front of a small backboard, chalk in hand. A group of 20 young RAF C-47 pilots fill the small auditorium. His RAF uniform is meticulously pressed, a rakish upper-crust pencil moustache on his upper lip.

I have an observation:
The RAF flew the Dakota I - the RAAF & USAAF flew the C-47.
Surely the good Count, if he's such an expert in inventory/supply/logistics would know this OR he has no understanding of the British Military

Banner by rogueusmc

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 1712
RE: The brilliant (and charming) Count Czernin - 11/11/2007 11:50:39 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tallyho!

quote:

**********SEAC Air Transport Command, Ledo, October 6, 1942*********

The brilliant (and charming) Count Czernin stands in front of a small backboard, chalk in hand. A group of 20 young RAF C-47 pilots fill the small auditorium. His RAF uniform is meticulously pressed, a rakish upper-crust pencil moustache on his upper lip.

I have an observation:
The RAF flew the Dakota I - the RAAF & USAAF flew the C-47.
Surely the good Count, if he's such an expert in inventory/supply/logistics would know this OR he has no understanding of the British Military

Same plane, different name, and the COUNT never referred to the plane as the C-47, just our fearless narrator (no doubt in the name of clarity)...

(in reply to saj42)
Post #: 1713
RE: The brilliant (and charming) Count Czernin - 11/12/2007 1:47:11 AM   
BrucePowers

Built in the same factory even

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 1714
RE: The brilliant (and charming) Count Czernin - 11/13/2007 10:26:54 PM   
Cap Mandrake

***********SEAC Air Transport Command, October 7, 1942**************

Again, Count Czernin stands at the front of the briefing room, which has been cleaned, with no small effort, by a crew of Untouchables, after the previous day's disaster. Unseen, a small piece of scalp clings to the support of the overhead light. A group of eager C-47 pilots, now one fewer in number, lean forward for the start of the briefing.

Count Czernin: Men, I would first like to commend you all for bearing up so well under the circumstances. It is not easy for me to return here either, but the 241 Group Thespian Club has the mess hall booked up for rehearsals for their annual musical review and their is no other suitable location. Thank you, again. I also have a request. Please, please, if someone is feeling unwell, by all means, simply quietly excuse yourself. We shan't want a reprise of the unfortunate incident with Flt. Lt. Laplace yesterday. There will be no questions asked and please don't stand on military decorum. We can't afford to lose any more of you chaps. RAF have only 8 trained pilots in reserve in theatre and they will be delegated to the Wellington or Spitfire, not in transports. Now, before we get started with the briefing, are there any questions?

Flt. Lt., Newton: <raises hand and is recognized with a nod> Sir, it's the narrator sir. He said "C-47" again. He called us "C-47 pilots".

Count Czernin: Ah, yes, thank you Flt. Lt.. <walks toward small open window which overlooks the briefing room and raises his voice> I say, you there, naer-RAY-tor! <no response is heard> I say again, you there, naer-RAY-tor!

Narrator: <NOTE: Narration in blue provided restrospectively by ad hoc editor because we didn't think it was fair for the on-scene narrator to narrate his own conversation given the disputed nature of the day's events. We tried to find Gen. Marshall but he seems to have disappeared. Also the associate editor seems to have disappeared. In fact, we are having a spot of trouble filling the position. Well, that is enough of that. Back to the story. Several of the pilots in the room were interviewed as were members of the clean-up crew of Untouchables. The Untouchables weren't really much help because the didn't speak English. They didn't smell very good, either. The pilots generally agreed that the on-scene Narrator had the practiced attitude of a department of motor vehicles employee who is three minutes late for his third union-mandated break of the morning. He leaned forward so his face could be seen through the window> Are you taking to me?

Count Czernin: If you are the naer-RAY-tor, then indeed I am.

Narrator: Nope. You have the wrong guy.

Count Czernin: Pardon? What are you doing in the naer-RAY-tor's booth then?

Narrator: I'm not in the naer-RAY-tor's booth.

Count Czernin: Yes you are.

Narrator: No I'm not.

Count Czernin: Young man, you most clearly are.

Narrator: No, I'm not. I'm in the NAER-ray-tur's booth.

Count Czernin: <Pauses, clearly annoyed> Look, that is NOT how it is properly pronounced.

Narrator: How would you know? Aren't you Polish or something?

Count Czernin: POLISH!? Young man, I will have you know I was born Count Manfred Maria Edmund Ralph Beckett Czernin von und zu Chudenitz.

Narrator: Oh great, a Kraut is telling me how to pronounce NAER-ray-tur. Maybe I should call you Graf. By the way, in English Maria is a girl's name.

Count Czernin: <approaches the window and speaks through clenched teeth> Young man, I will have you know my mother was English and my father Austrian. I have 13 victories and 5 shared victories. None can question my loyalty to the Crown.

Narrator: Ooooh. "Shared victories", in what team Risk?

Count Czernin: Young man, I will not be treated in such a fashion. I will have you brought up on charges of insubordination. You haven't even a proper uniform. What unit are you with?

Narrator: M & M Enterprises, Language Services Division. I have the exclusive franchise for East India and Burma and a contract with the RAF for narration services.

Count Czernin: I shall have you replaced then. Who is your supervisor?

Narrator: Mr. Minderbinder replace me? I don't think so. I won the M & M Orange Palm award for FY 42. I was cited for creative billing for once successfully collecting on 250 billed hours in a single week. Perhaps you could go to the Ledo Narrator's Union Hiring Hall and find someone.

Count Czernin: <draws near the window and lowers his voice> Look, what say we call a truce. Could you please just call the chaps Dakota pilots instead of C-47 pilots.

Narrator: Oh, like that matters. It is the same plane.

Count Czernin: They are not. The RAF fly the Dakota. They are distinct aircraft purchased by His Majesty's Government.

Narrator: Oh, yeah, I forgot. The enamel color on the starboard ash trays is different.

Count Czernin: Look, please, in the name of Allied co-operation in the war effort could you please just call them Dakota pilots.

Narrator: OK, but I will have to edit the previous transcripts. I am going to have to submit another 20 hrs.

Count Czernin: Fine. Thank you.

Narrator: No problem Graf, baby. Glad to be of service.

Count Czernin:<grumbles to himself on the way back to the front on the room> Bloody arrogant Yank. <then after composing himself> I have good news. The NAER-ray-tur has agreed to retitle you chaps Dakota pilots.

Pilots: HUZZAH!

Count Czernin: Yes, before we get to the main topic for today, the application of number theory to the war effort, I have prepared a brain teaser for you. Imagine that this is the function for the velocity of a Dakota over time <turns to blackboard and writes v=e**(t)> Now, imagine....

Flt. Lt. Newton: <clears throat> Excuse me, sir.

Count Czernin: Yes?

Flt. Lt. Newton: That can't be sir. You see, given that function for velocity the aircraft could never have zero velocity. She could never be at rest. At time zero she would be moving. Even if we allowed negative values for time, perhaps reperesenting her assembly, the solution would asymptotically approach zero but could never be zero. This would lead to the absurd situation of factory workers walking along rolling tyres trying to attach lugnuts. She would also be quite a beast to load or fuel.

Count Czernin: <vessels begin to bulge at his temples> Well...you see...<his eyes begin to bulge and his very forehead appears to broaden> ..thsi..was only ..meant to be ..a..a..thought experiment <further details redacted at the request of the RAF in the interest of morale>

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 11/13/2007 10:29:35 PM >

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 1715
RE: The brilliant (and charming) Count Czernin - 11/13/2007 11:46:50 PM   
Terminus

Oh dear, Count Mary's head exploded...

Post #: 1716
RE: The brilliant (and charming) Count Czernin - 11/14/2007 1:30:20 AM   
BrucePowers

I say, are those C-47's going fly tomorrow

I can't help it.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 1717
RE: The brilliant (and charming) Count Czernin - 11/14/2007 9:06:37 AM   
FeurerKrieg

For some reason, reading that skit brought dead parrots to mind.

quote:

Count Czernin: If you are the naer-RAY-tor, then indeed I am.

Narrator: Nope. You have the wrong guy.

Count Czernin: Pardon? What are you doing in the naer-RAY-tor's booth then?

Narrator: I'm not in the naer-RAY-tor's booth.

Count Czernin: Yes you are.

Narrator: No I'm not.

Count Czernin: Young man, you most clearly are.

Narrator: No, I'm not. I'm in the NAER-ray-tur's booth.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

Post #: 1718
RE: The brilliant (and charming) Count Czernin - 11/14/2007 9:11:35 AM   
FeurerKrieg

Where is a reference to Zeno's Paradox?

It is clear that a Zero can never catch up to a Wirraway and therefore Wirraway's are invincible so the Japanese should have given up long ago.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 1719
RE: The brilliant (and charming) Count Czernin - 11/14/2007 2:17:26 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

Count Czernin: POLISH!? Young man, I will have you know I was born Count Manfred Maria Edmund Ralph Beckett Czernin von und zu Chudenitz.

Narrator: Oh great, a Kraut is telling me how to pronounce NAER-ray-tur. Maybe I should call you Graf. By the way, in English Maria is a girl's name.

OMG, if that's not a classic example of an American vs. British argument, I don't know what is.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

Post #: 1720
RE: The brilliant (and charming) Count Czernin - 11/14/2007 2:51:29 PM   
saj42

Oh dear - I should have kept my mouth shut

I got funny looks from the guys in the office when I burst out laughing when I read this - they have no understanding of the world of WWIIb. It is WWIIb isn't it?

Post #: 1721
RE: The brilliant (and charming) Count Czernin - 11/15/2007 2:15:52 AM   
Onime No Kyo

I just got around to reading that whole deal. Thank you Mandrake for making me almost choke on lo mein.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to saj42)
Post #: 1722
The plodding (and hairline challenged) Tabpub. - 11/15/2007 2:34:16 AM   
tabpub

-

Attachment (1)

Sing to the tune of "Man on the Flying Trapeze"
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...

Post #: 1723
RE: The plodding (and hairline challenged) Tabpub. - 11/15/2007 2:43:02 AM   
BrucePowers

Tabpub is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

< Message edited by BrucePowers -- 11/15/2007 2:44:02 AM >

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 1724
RE: The plodding (and hairline challenged) Tabpub. - 11/15/2007 6:36:51 AM   
Moondawggie

Tabpub, glad you are back!

A patient of mine once spent 8 hours befouled in cables 10K feet below the surface on a dive into the Mariana Trench before they were able to clear way and be successfully hoisted back aboard; I admire any man who who dares to plumb those depths!

Now (since Mandrake appears befuddled by the wiles of Boise womanhood) perhaps you can find the time to tell us how that little dust-up in the Pacific (and particularly Western Australia) has been playing out...

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

Post #: 1725
RE: The plodding (and hairline challenged) Tabpub. - 11/15/2007 7:26:36 AM   
tabpub

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moondawggie

Tabpub, glad you are back!

A patient of mine once spent 8 hours befouled in cables 10K feet below the surface on a dive into the Mariana Trench before they were able to clear way and be successfully hoisted back aboard; I admire any man who who dares to plumb those depths!

Now (since Mandrake appears befuddled by the wiles of Boise womanhood) perhaps you can find the time to tell us how that little dust-up in the Pacific (and particularly Western Australia) has been playing out...

Well, regarding Perth, the light is seen at the end of the tunnel now I believe. The 32nd ID under Gill has shown up....ah,...about 10-12 days ago as I recall. Blamey seemed excited at the prospect of ejecting the Japs from their trenches and launched a shock attack (perhaps two...). These didn't do much other than tire the troops out; Gill got on the horn to me as his former theater commander, I got hold of the Aussie PM and suggested that deliberately attacking might work better. The last two attacks have reached 1-1 odds and the last one saw about 2-1 Jap/Occidental losses. Looking at the schedule for today, looks like Blamey is going for the "rolling" attack; fresh units attacking while the disrupted rest. With our good supply, experience, air and firepower advanatage it should start really rolling in a couple more attacks.

Speaking of experience, all the infantry units there are either over or approaching 90 ratings.

I presume when you say "dust-up" you are speaking of the Midway exercise. That's all wrapped up of course; 1st MID and 37th ID are resting on the big island right now. WASP is nearing finishing repairs to her damage, airgroups are all in place and ready. Other carriers are not public knowledge at this time. Other than that, all that is going on is an accelerated sub campaign vs. both the Empire waters and the frontline area from Truk to PM. We are seeing some success here; I will try to keep up with it as it goes. As some of you might know, I do try to do the best possible job with the SS. With the divided command, Mandrake handles the DEI through the west side of the PI; while I handle the rest of the areas. He has the British, Dutch and some of the shorter ranged US types (Perch mainly).

That's about it. Any other questions? Submit them in triplicate to the proper offices. <where they will be duly ignored>

Dismissed.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by tabpub -- 11/15/2007 7:27:59 AM >

(in reply to Moondawggie)
Post #: 1726
RE: The plodding (and hairline challenged) Tabpub. - 11/15/2007 8:12:14 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Wow, cool pictures the plodding (and hairline challenged) Tabpub.

Good show on giving the Hun a bad case of sphere envy. Huzzah!

I had no idea the Pitcarin Yards were so built up! Looks like Milo's co-marketing idea of pairing his election campaign with a discussion of "global cooling" has increased icebreaker orders bigtime. Nothing like the combination of the cynical manipulation of the electorate with fear and monopolistic business practices to get the juices flowing.

BTW...with the USS Idaho refit, are they going to take that goofy clock off the foremast or did that already get wasted in the battle?

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 11/15/2007 8:13:35 PM >

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 1727
RE: The plodding (and hairline challenged) Tabpub. - 11/15/2007 8:19:24 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Editor's Note: After some spirited discussion among the editorial office staff we felt compelled to recommend either a comb-over or total scalp shaving. It was the general feeling here that any hair transplant efforts would fail the test of historical fealty.

Also, please note that the Editor-in-Chief position is still unfilled. We are prepared to offer a generous life insurance policy as part of the package. Interested parties can apply to the publisher with the notation "Attention:EIC"

Post #: 1728
RE: The plodding (and hairline challenged) Tabpub. - 11/16/2007 10:48:34 AM   
tabpub

quote:

BTW...with the USS Idaho refit, are they going to take that goofy clock off the foremast or did that already get wasted in the battle?

"Shoot boy.....when you have 98% damage rating....the only things that are left are the bloody turrets; there is no superstructure anymore, lucky there's a hull left for the engines to sit in. That silly clock and the mast that it was attached too is sitting with all the wreckage forming a nice dive reef in 20-50 years."

Head of repairs SF Navy Yard.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by tabpub -- 11/16/2007 10:55:07 AM >

Post #: 1729
RE: The plodding (and hairline challenged) Tabpub. - 11/16/2007 12:55:04 PM   
BrucePowers

Are you saying the BuShips did not know what they were doing when they put that device there?

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 1730
RE: The plodding (and hairline challenged) Tabpub. - 11/16/2007 2:19:30 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

Are you saying the BuShips did not know what they were doing when they put that device there?

It was placed there for the sole purpose of dramatic line delivery, i.e.:

The enemy shells were splashing around them, but the Idaho's guns roared back in defiance. Frantically trying to log the engagement, a midshipman cried "What time is it?"

The chief looked up at the clock on clock on the foremast, then at the distant IJN ship erupting in flames and replied grimly "Time to die!"

Post #: 1731
The stubborn (and unimaginative) Gen. Blamey - 11/17/2007 12:37:12 AM   
Cap Mandrake

****************Western Australia Command, HQ, Perth, October 6, 1942***************

Gen. Blamey: Right then, with the arrival of US 32nd ID, I believe we are in a position to drive the Japs out of their postions in one spectacular coup de main. Tomorrow morning at 08:00, after a preparotry barrage from all guns, a maximal effort from all Allied air forces and Royal Navy air assets in the area and naval gunfire support from Royal Navy and USN crusiers, I have arranged for all the bells of Perth to be tolled simultaneously. This will be our signal for all forces to ascend from their trenches in a 12 mile arc around the city and begin their charge toward the enemy.

Gen. Gill, CO, US 32nd ID: Sir, do you really think that is advisable sir? After all, they are certain to have many hundreds of machine guns in improved postions. Perhaps an attack in echelon might be more effective with the armor held back to exploit?

Gen. Blamey: Nonsense. I shan't have such defeatest talk in my command. Now, I would like suggestions for a common yell. Something that we could all get behind.

Gen. Gill, CO, US 32nd ID: Common ..yell, sir?

Gen. Blamey: Yes, yes. The Japs have "BONZAI!" We need something equally catchy. What do you gentlemen think about "CHARGE!"? I know it's been done, but it is so succinct and will be sure to be recognized by British, American and Australian troops......

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 1732
SSTU - 11/17/2007 12:55:30 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1733
RE: SSTU - 11/17/2007 12:57:45 AM   
rtrapasso

Jerry Garcia, Sr???

Post #: 1734
RE: The stubborn (and unimaginative) Gen. Blamey - 11/17/2007 5:10:29 PM   
VSWG

quote:

preparotry

Must... resist... comment... AAARRRRGHHHH!!

Post #: 1735
RE: The stubborn (and unimaginative) Gen. Blamey - 11/17/2007 7:14:18 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*************M & M Enterprises HQ, Perth, October 12, 1942***********

Milo: <Smokeing a cigar and dictating a letter, feet up on a desk> M & M Enterprises, Language Services Division deepley regrets any emabarrasssment suffured by the stubburn and unimaginative General Blamey due to spelling ro typograrphical errors during tramcription of his conversations. Rest assured, the offedning aprty is beeing disciplaned.

Yossarium: Can you do that? Didn't yoou sell him the exclusive distributership fro Western Austria?

Milo: We will get him on a moral turpatood claws.

Yossarium: <shifts uncomfortabley> Do we have one of thsoe?

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 11/18/2007 7:51:38 PM >

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 1736
Do you know the way to Mandalay? - 11/18/2007 8:16:03 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Having trouble following the battle are you? Don't worry, so am I.

The noble attempt to recruit malaria victims for a counterattack from Myitkyina fails, but with 2 Chindit Brigades just arrived from Ledo, an Indian brigade mostly airlifted in, one stalwart Colonial brigade, and the 2 most enthusiastic Chinese divsions at Myitkyina, Burma Corps pushes west to aid the attack of British 2nd Infantry and 7th Armoured. After several days of maximal air effort, they attack 28th Division which has been left behind as a reaguard for the retreating Japanese forces. They come within a hair's breadth of driving the enemy back into the jungle toward Lashio, wrecking the division and linking with 2nd Division by rail (on my out of sync replay this actually happened 2 days in a row ). Instead, they will have to recover a few days and try again, perhaps after the arrival of a full Indian Division coming down teh trail from Ledo.

Meanwhile, the Imphal arm of the pincer becomes separated. 2nd UK and the artillery leap ahead of 7th Armoured which is apprently still searching for fossils. Now there is a serious problem. Just when things were looking good, 2nd UK now faces 3 full Jap divisions plus armour and plenty of heavy artillery. 7th Armoured still appears 5 or 6 days out. All Allied air is ordered to attrit the Japs on the rail line. Disaster is avoided after an all-out enemy attack on the 24th. Will they have the strength for another attack today? I am pulling for Chennault and the 10th Air Force but the weather is bad. The Jap attack has also seriously depleted ammo for the 2nd UK Div which must be supplied by air in poor weather. If 2nd Div can hold again, the Burma Corps can likely drive off the 28th division, open the rail line to Myitkyina for British 2nd and 7th Armoured, then unite to push the Japs back to Mandalay. Honestly, this is going better than I expected. The whole thing was conceived simply to force a jap withdrawal from Myitkyina.

Too bad about Count Czernin. We could use his planning expertise about now.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1737
Aptitude - 11/19/2007 3:04:37 AM   
Cap Mandrake

I was looking for a commander for 224 Grp, RAF, in India. Though he was eventually undone by an exponential function, Sqdrn Leader Czernin was at least enthusiastic and had good air combat experience. The same cannot be said for all those in the pool of possible RAF HQ commanders.

*****************SEAC HQ, Ledo, October 24, 1942*****************

Gen. Pownall: Gentlemen, I'm looking for one among you to take over duties as commander of 224 Group. Are any among you up to the challenge? <as he finishes a Wellington bomber roars overhead at 200 ft on its way to bomb the rail line>

Brig. Gen. Oliver Wendall Trent, RAF: <Throws himself to the ground in terror. When the noise of the bomber subsides, he stands, a dark stain on the front of his trousers> Good Lord! Did any of you see that? It was a flying machine! Must be those boys at Bletchley. Nothing like a war to spur innovation, eh?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 11/19/2007 3:07:29 AM >

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 1738
RE: Aptitude - 11/19/2007 3:08:54 AM   
Terminus

Would he even be capable of identifying it as a flying machine? A large flying metal monster, perhaps?

Post #: 1739
Hurry up..would you? - 11/19/2007 7:50:41 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 1740
Page:   <<   < prev  56 57 [58] 59 60   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: The brilliant (and charming) Count Czernin Page: <<   < prev  56 57 [58] 59 60   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI