Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming thread!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming thread! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/31/2006 1:52:09 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: rasnell

Don't touch a thing with the in-game interface. Visually, the in-flight ball, sounds, display of both team's lineups, ease of customizing your stadium -- PureSim has reached the gold standard, surpassing any other game.

Tweak this very carefully so you don't ruin a good thing.

It would be nice if there was some way to graphically display the range of fielders, with their info box being wider and actually showing the area they cover. Perhaps you could drag and drop their positioning, too.

I would like to see a little more loft and drama to deep fly balls to the wall, where the flight and the text are setting up..."That could be trouble...back-back, to the warning track...Caught at the top of the wall...What a play."

Perhaps the ability to toggle stat views in-game where you're seeing stats for the day, the season, career, post-season, vs that pitcher, etc.

I really would like more info and more control over sending base runners...showing how deep, arm, runner speed, and percent of chance.

I'm with you, rasnell. I manage every game, so I'll be looking at the same interface hundreds of times. My home park is (IMHO) one of the best-looking "classic" parks. I don't want it cluttered. The option to hide all the extraneous info while a play is happening is great.

More "ambient" sound would be nice, or, better yet, an option to import "park-specific" sounds.

Moving players and arcade stuff like that would just make it look cheesy, and on a beautifully-painted park display, it'd be a travesty.

(in reply to rasnell)
Post #: 121
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/31/2006 3:28:56 AM   
Beach23BoyP

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Moving players and arcade stuff like that would just make it look cheesy, and on a beautifully-painted park display, it'd be a travesty.

That's why I've never liked the "animated ball flight"! For me, it has ruined the "suspense and drama". I want the lines back!

And the old player card.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 122
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/31/2006 3:39:24 AM   
KG Erwin

The "lines", Bob? To me, those REALLY looked cheesy.  The animated ball flight is beautiful IMHO.  We're gonna have to agree on disagreeing on that point.   While we're at it, I like my music selections better, too.  Your stuff is just too modern and "unclassical" for me. 

We just approach the game with different philosophies, and that's fine.   Please don't take offense, OK?

Regards,
Glenn 

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 7/31/2006 3:40:37 AM >

(in reply to Beach23BoyP)
Post #: 123
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/31/2006 5:49:12 AM   
PadresFan104

quote:

ORIGINAL: JReb
synch the "ball hit distance" with the inflight ball animation and the "shallow,medium, deep" message. tie in with the "runner tags up" calculation

Actually, the latest patches do just this. I've been doing a lot of testing and things seem synched up really nicely.

(in reply to JReb)
Post #: 124
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/31/2006 7:12:15 AM   
33sherman

I like the 'moonshots' section of the PSPN coverage--how about a master list of longest home runs EVER, all-time.

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 125
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/31/2006 7:31:47 AM   
PadresFan104

quote:

ORIGINAL: novangelus

Improve the in game scoreboard with run totals, outs, errors and extra innings

I'd like to see runners left on base (LOB) on the scoreboard as many teams show that info on their scoreboards now...

(in reply to novangelus)
Post #: 126
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/31/2006 8:38:19 PM   
SirWolf1960

I have a suggestion for the scoreboard. After 10 innings are played, I would like to see the board cleared and place the 11th inning numbers in ths slot for the 1st. Again, most ballparks I've been in do it that way.

Steve

Post #: 127
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/1/2006 3:23:08 AM   
PadresFan104

I'd prefer to always be taken to the standings screen after auto-simming, not the Games screen.  Could this be made an option?

(in reply to SirWolf1960)
Post #: 128
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/1/2006 3:26:00 AM   
akw4572

Something else I thought of, fictional managers that have different ideas on strategies.  I'd love to have that, with their career tracked in the almanac.

Post #: 129
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/1/2006 3:28:07 AM   
SittingDuck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beach23BoyP

That's why I've never liked the "animated ball flight"! For me, it has ruined the "suspense and drama". I want the lines back!

And the old player card.

You got the OOTP-jones, don't you, man? I mean, one of the huge turnoffs about that game and GreyDog stuff to me is the 'sameness' and clutter of all the screens. Nothing stands out - too much info and stuff displayed.

*aaack*

(in reply to Beach23BoyP)
Post #: 130
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/1/2006 3:28:27 AM   
PadresFan104

quote:

ORIGINAL: akw4572

Something else I thought of, fictional managers that have different ideas on strategies. I'd love to have that, with their career tracked in the almanac.

Cool idea.

(in reply to akw4572)
Post #: 131
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/1/2006 3:30:37 AM   
SpharV2

More resolution options...please. Running in a window is too hard to see, and running full screen screws up my desktop. :)

Post #: 132
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/1/2006 7:24:30 PM   
33sherman

This may have been covered, but I'm pretty sure the way it is now, when a player retires his card becomes his almanac page, and notable achievements like no-hitters and milestones are not retained?

(in reply to SpharV2)
Post #: 133
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/1/2006 8:25:40 PM   
PadresFan104

I'd like the ability to do multi-dimension sorts on report pages, like you can with excel.  For example, during trades or free agency or the draft, I'd like to be able to do a primary sort on one attribute (like Stuff) and then a secondary sort on another attribute (like Control).

(in reply to 33sherman)
Post #: 134
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/1/2006 11:35:11 PM   
torque561

I'm sorry to bug you, I forgot this one. I really would like to see the double steal added. I think it's an exciting play and used frequently enough to warrant the addition.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 135
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/1/2006 11:45:29 PM   
PadresFan104

quote:

ORIGINAL: torque561

I'm sorry to bug you, I forgot this one. I really would like to see the double steal added. I think it's an exciting play and used frequently enough to warrant the addition.

agreed, now that I have some speed on my team, I find myself wishing for this addition...

(in reply to torque561)
Post #: 136
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/2/2006 12:03:50 AM   
Amaroq

Especially in the pre-WWII era, it would be nice to have the ability to control both sides of that - to try the delayed double-steal, where a runner on first starts stealing second, the catcher makes the throw, and the runner on third starts stealing home - you have the chance of everything from a double play (out at second, out at home) to a successful double-steal to an error somewhere.

In some cases, the manager would give orders for the catcher not to throw, and you would even occasionally see the 'hidden ball' play, with the fake throw, resulting in an out as the man on third tried to come home anyways.

While we're on the topic, I think it would be neat to have the odds of successful stolen bases modelled correctly over time, especially stealing home, which was much more likely in 1901 than it is today.

Post #: 137
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/2/2006 12:50:08 AM   
renojedi

Player personalities and biorythyms. By that I am looking for something that makes managing a game more challenging because the players are more like real people. Some examples.

1. A guy may demand a trade because he is not getting enough playing time.
2. Guys may conflict with the clubhouse and this causes a drop in morale (think T.O.)
3. Rest vs. Rust--not playing a reliever or bench player enough means he will not be as crisp when you do play him.
4. If a guy sees no chance to move up from triple A he may demand a trade.

I could list more but you get the point. It will make stacking a team harder whereas now, just about everyone in my AAA org could be playing on my MLB team.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 138
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/2/2006 1:18:21 AM   
Amaroq

Yeah, I agree with all of those as well.

Your point about making it harder to stack the team is, I think, key - I'd really like to see minor leaguers refuse to sign if they 'belong' in the majors and aren't there, and I'd like bench players who 'belong' in a starting lineup to refuse to sign extensions.

I support the 'rust' idea - I would like to "have" to use guys to keep them from getting rusty, to have to deal with trade demands (and especially refusal to re-sign), that sort of thing. I'm not sure if all players are going to like that - I'm imagining a historical-sim buff might want statistical accuracy over 'rust', but it does sound like its a good game mechanic to me.

Conflict - well, I think that matters more in football than baseball, the Giants did pretty well when Barry Bonds and Jeff Kent were on the barest of speaking terms with each other, but still producing on the field.

The other one I think goes with this is in-season ratings fluctuation; I'd like there to be a chance that my young team will get better as the season wears on, or that the veteran lineup I had on Opening Day is falling apart by September. I also like the idea of having to deal with slumps that are part of a game mechanic, not just the random number generator - Joe lost his mechanics, and isn't doing as well, do you .. let him try to play through it, sit him, or send him to the minors for a short period?

(in reply to renojedi)
Post #: 139
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/2/2006 2:54:42 AM   
Beach23BoyP

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

The "lines", Bob? To me, those REALLY looked cheesy.  The animated ball flight is beautiful IMHO.  We're gonna have to agree on disagreeing on that point.   While we're at it, I like my music selections better, too.  Your stuff is just too modern and "unclassical" for me. 

We just approach the game with different philosophies, and that's fine.   Please don't take offense, OK?

Regards,
Glenn 

Yes, and the "last decent Democrat" was Truman. Don't take that personal. And my name is Bill.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 140
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/2/2006 2:57:35 AM   
Beach23BoyP

quote:

ORIGINAL: SittingDuck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beach23BoyP

And the old player card.

You got the OOTP-jones, don't you, man? I mean, one of the huge turnoffs about that game and GreyDog stuff to me is the 'sameness' and clutter of all the screens. Nothing stands out - too much info and stuff displayed.

*aaack*

Yeah -- you might be right. I just think PS desperately needs an "interface look" overhaul. But I'm lines, old player card kind of guy.

(in reply to SittingDuck)
Post #: 141
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/2/2006 3:41:55 AM   
renojedi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amaroq

Yeah, I agree with all of those as well.

Your point about making it harder to stack the team is, I think, key - I'd really like to see minor leaguers refuse to sign if they 'belong' in the majors and aren't there, and I'd like bench players who 'belong' in a starting lineup to refuse to sign extensions.

I support the 'rust' idea - I would like to "have" to use guys to keep them from getting rusty, to have to deal with trade demands (and especially refusal to re-sign), that sort of thing. I'm not sure if all players are going to like that - I'm imagining a historical-sim buff might want statistical accuracy over 'rust', but it does sound like its a good game mechanic to me.

Conflict - well, I think that matters more in football than baseball, the Giants did pretty well when Barry Bonds and Jeff Kent were on the barest of speaking terms with each other, but still producing on the field.

The other one I think goes with this is in-season ratings fluctuation; I'd like there to be a chance that my young team will get better as the season wears on, or that the veteran lineup I had on Opening Day is falling apart by September. I also like the idea of having to deal with slumps that are part of a game mechanic, not just the random number generator - Joe lost his mechanics, and isn't doing as well, do you .. let him try to play through it, sit him, or send him to the minors for a short period?

Glad you agree, Am. We both are the kind of players who manage every game and as you pointed out, there are historical buffs who sim most for the games and want more accurate stats. For that reason this could be a "toggle-able" option.

Obviously, the total package would be to incorporate these things with waivers and options (and yes I remember that there were problems with this before so I only offer this if it works this time). That way you could have a veteran put on waivers refuse a mior league assignment, you could have what you mentioned with guys having a cold steak and have to play through it and you could have guys dog it when they want their release or play above their level when they are in a contract year. So many opportunities to really challenge the manage gamers even if only a few of these are implemented. Please, please, please, Shaun

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 142
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/2/2006 3:43:51 AM   
renojedi

Rain delays and rain outs with appropriate weather effects (e.g. muddy field leads to more booted balls and less extra abse hits and SBs).

(in reply to renojedi)
Post #: 143
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/2/2006 3:57:35 AM   
akw4572

How about team affinity with fictional leagues???  Only tie it to regions with the players birthplace??  I'd love to see it made harder to resign players or free agents.

(in reply to renojedi)
Post #: 144
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/2/2006 4:46:11 AM   
Amaroq

quote:

ORIGINAL: renojedi

Rain delays and rain outs with appropriate weather effects (e.g. muddy field leads to more booted balls and less extra abse hits and SBs).

Oooh, yeah! +1 to this.

(in reply to renojedi)
Post #: 145
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/2/2006 5:15:14 AM   
clg311

A Playoff when there's a tie at the end of the regular season.
More postseason options. i.e in a 6 team league allow the 2nd and 3rd place teams to play each other with the winner playing the first place team.

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 146
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/2/2006 11:06:23 PM   
PadresFan104

This was sovereignstar's idea, but the ability to fix mistaken lineup changes in the middle of a game.  One wrong click and you are screwed.

(in reply to clg311)
Post #: 147
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/3/2006 2:28:24 AM   
rasnell

I've posted a similar idea on the competitor's forum because the first text sim programmer to implement this will really have something novel and will allow us to relive the childhood when baseball cards meant something.

How about implementing a screen or add-in that allows us to select player cards and arrange them on one page for printing so that you can actually create your own baseball cards of favorite simmed players or Hall of Famers. As you move on to other associations, etc., you'll still have your collection of baseball cards from previous sims.

Here's the example. The add-in would allow us to view our roster or the Hall of Fame list, click the names of players to be displayed on the page, even customize what stats would be included on the card, complete with their photo. Perhaps you could choose to display 8 to 12 cards per page and it would take care of the page setup or print preview.

We could choose to print in color, on card stock, etc. Maybe even two-sided for a really authentic looking card.

Post #: 148
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/3/2006 2:44:23 AM   
Amaroq

quote:

ORIGINAL: PadresFan104

This was sovereignstar's idea, but the ability to fix mistaken lineup changes in the middle of a game. One wrong click and you are screwed.

"Undo Last Move" and "Cancel" seem like good options, especially if they were available until you did something irrevocable - e.g., until the next pitch, or until the A.I. makes a move in reaction to yours.

Post #: 149
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 8/3/2006 2:48:53 AM   
Amaroq

I'd also like to have the 'forced' lineup change screens done away with.

Shaun knows what I mean by that - I filed it as a bug during beta test this year - but for those of you who don't, I described that in more detail in sovereignstar's thread.

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming thread! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI