Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

An 0-3 Start For the Bucs?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> The Locker >> An 0-3 Start For the Bucs? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
An 0-3 Start For the Bucs? - 7/30/2006 12:21:07 AM   
KG Erwin

Hey, it's supposed to be 1946, not 2006 in this association.

55-man real player draft league. Accelerated import being used. I'm managing evry game.

Despite having a lineup that includes Stan Musial, Yogi Berra, Vic Wertz, George Kell and Red Schoendienst, and a starting rotation of Warren Spahn, Bob Lemon, Early Wynn and Robin Roberts, I start the season my getting swept by the Cardinals.

The scores were 3-1, 10-2 (!!!) and 5-2. Amongst the horrors so far: Vic Wertz has two errors at RF, both of which allowed runs to score. In that godawful game 2, I bring in Lefty Wallace to relieve Bob Lemon in the 7th, with the bases loaded. Wallace promptly walks three batters in a row, allowing 3 runs. His ERA stands at 135.00. The Cards scored 7 in the 7th.

At this rate, I'm gonna have to fire myself.

Next up are the hated Reds, who have both Del Ennis and Duke Snider.

In the pre-season power rankings, the Pirates were listed at 13th. Hope that's not an omen.

Think I need a drink.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 7/30/2006 12:27:49 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: An 0-3 Start For the Bucs? - 7/30/2006 1:48:18 AM   
BauerPower

With a roster like that you have nothing to worry about. 0-3 would be bad for the Steelers, but in baseball it's nothing.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: An 0-3 Start For the Bucs? - 7/30/2006 5:31:22 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: BauerPower

With a roster like that you have nothing to worry about. 0-3 would be bad for the Steelers, but in baseball it's nothing.

I know that, man, but to get a bad start is just a psychological hit. I know I have a great team, but they are very young (average age for the major-league roster is 24). The old man amongst my starters is 26. They are like my Marines in WWII. They are not men yet. They learn by experience and gaining cohesiveness as a unit.

(in reply to BauerPower)
Post #: 3
RE: An 0-3 Start For the Bucs? - 7/30/2006 6:08:49 AM   
KG Erwin

Jeez louise. What more can happen?  Bob Lemon gets injured in the home opener, which we win with a bullpen-by-committee 3-1.

I call up a promising 25-year old from AAA named Bob Chesnes to fill Lemon's slot in the rotation. 

I had to put Lemon on the 60-day DL.  He's gonna be out for at least 4 1/2 weeks, but I wanna make sure he comes back 100% healthy and ready to go.  

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 7/30/2006 6:44:38 PM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
RE: An 0-3 Start For the Bucs? - 7/30/2006 6:13:01 AM   
KG Erwin

Monday, April 22, 1946. Ahh, there's no place like home. After that horrendous start in St. Louis, we swept the Reds at Forbes. (Sunday was a doubleheader).

The scores were 3-1, 8-2, 2-0 and 4-2.

I'm feeling much better now, and the kids are enjoying a day off. They deserve it.

Warren Spahn has completed his first two starts, and has 6 Ks vs only 2 BB.

Yogi Berra has started hot. He's batting .348, with 1HR, 2 doubles and 1 triple in 23 AB.

The home stand continues with the Cubs on Tuesday and Wednesday, and those damned Cardinals come to town on Thursday and Friday.

Bob Chesnes is starting tomorrow. He's temporarily replacing Bob Lemon, who suffered a knee injury and will be out for a couple of months. At this point, my rotation is thin, so I might check the trade market if Chesnes isn't up to the job. He's not fully developed yet, and it worries me.

I haven't received any news about the minors, yet. There's a few kids that I'm definitely following, and a few grizzled vets that may be out of a job soon. We'll see.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 7/30/2006 11:02:18 PM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
RE: An 0-3 Start For the Bucs? - 7/31/2006 2:50:24 AM   
KG Erwin

April 23.  Bob did fine. He pitched 8 good innings, and with the score 2-2, I took him out for Ken Trinkle.  Ken gave up 2 runs in the 9th, but we came back with 3 runs the bottom of the 9th, with the winning RBI hit by reserve C Buddy Rosar.  Bucs, 5-4.  THAT's the way to do it. Nice.   We're undefeated on this opening home stand, and it feels good.  

I drafted this team to feel at home here, and the kids are making the fans happy.   It won't last forever -- I know better, but the morale boost gives us hope. 

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> The Locker >> An 0-3 Start For the Bucs? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI