Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/18/2006 6:48:01 PM   
Ballista

As an aside, just look how good the MWIF maps are (aesthetically) compared to the WIFE maps. Massive improvement all around, without a doubt......

I can't wait to get to scroll across the map.... :D

< Message edited by Ballista -- 8/18/2006 6:49:31 PM >

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 241
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/19/2006 2:30:23 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ballista

As an aside, just look how good the MWIF maps are (aesthetically) compared to the WIFE maps. Massive improvement all around, without a doubt......

I can't wait to get to scroll across the map.... :D

That's because some of us faced-down the WiF fundamentalists.

Courage comrades!

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Ballista)
Post #: 242
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/20/2006 11:57:12 AM   
Peter Stauffenberg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toed
If we are moving the border I suggest that it is just moved in the forest hex 3xNE of Oslo. Because the border is, with the exeption of a ~60 km * 30 km Norwegian "bite" at Trysil (a bit small to be represented as a whole hex imo), almost a straight line from east of Oslo up to east Trondheim and this one change would make it as straight as a north to south line can get in a hexgrid.

I agree with you that the hex 3xNE of Oslo is the most important to fix. It's the row where Norway is currently 6 hexes wide while Sweden is only 3 hexes wide. So I concur that this hex is the one to really fix. We can live with the others because they are partly Norwegian and partly Swedish all along the border. But thehex 3xNE of Oslo is clearly much more Swedish than Norwegian. Funny I say that as a Norwegian. Having a larger Norway is a sweet thought. But I prefer more to have a pretty accurate map.

I also noticed the others who have posted have agreed so I guess the hex 3xNE of Oslo can be made Swedish and then we let the borders in Scandinavia rest.

Do you agree too, Steve?

Froonp, can you do this and make a map showing the changed border if Steve agrees?

(in reply to Toed)
Post #: 243
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/20/2006 1:22:39 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Borger Borgersen
quote:

If we are moving the border I suggest that it is just moved in the forest hex 3xNE of Oslo. Because the border is, with the exeption of a ~60 km * 30 km Norwegian "bite" at Trysil (a bit small to be represented as a whole hex imo), almost a straight line from east of Oslo up to east Trondheim and this one change would make it as straight as a north to south line can get in a hexgrid.

I agree with you that the hex 3xNE of Oslo is the most important to fix. It's the row where Norway is currently 6 hexes wide while Sweden is only 3 hexes wide. So I concur that this hex is the one to really fix. We can live with the others because they are partly Norwegian and partly Swedish all along the border. But thehex 3xNE of Oslo is clearly much more Swedish than Norwegian. Funny I say that as a Norwegian. Having a larger Norway is a sweet thought. But I prefer more to have a pretty accurate map.

I also noticed the others who have posted have agreed so I guess the hex 3xNE of Oslo can be made Swedish and then we let the borders in Scandinavia rest.

Do you agree too, Steve?

Froonp, can you do this and make a map showing the changed border if Steve agrees?

Patrice is on vacation with his family (wife and son, I believe) and should be back online in a couple of days. I'll leave this up to him - and the majority viewpoint, of course. The change only requires modifying one number in the map data. This also applies to the new map that c92nichj recently posted.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Peter Stauffenberg)
Post #: 244
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/20/2006 1:27:09 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

There is one point that confuses me about the use of Narvik for shipping the Swedish resources to Germany - once the northern Baltic freezes. Why weren't they sent by rail down to southern Sweden (or Norway). Why was Narvik and the coastal shipping route essential?

Steve

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 245
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/20/2006 4:00:38 PM   
JagdFlanker

...The history of modern Narvik begins in the 1870s, when the Swedish government began to understand the potential of the iron ore mines in Kiruna, Sweden. If you look at a map, you'll see that the notion of obtaining iron ore from Kiruna had one significant problem: where could it be shipped from? After all, the nearest Swedish port, Luleå, has limitations: it is covered with ice all winter, it is far from Kiruna and it allows only medium-sized bulk freight vessels. Realising these problems, a Swedish company (Gällivarre Aktiebolag) built a railway to Narvik, as the port there is ice free thanks to the warm Gulf Stream, and is naturally large, allowing boats of virtually any size to anchor (208 metres long, 27 metres deep).

LKAB, the mining corporation, still ships the majority of its ore from Narvik (a total 25 million tons a year) and the corporation is still important in the area, both as an employer and landowner, although its influence is not as prominent now as it has been in previous years. (from http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A533125 )

in the end transporting ore by rail is less efficient and more expensive than by ship, and narvik was the closest and best port to do the job. here's a very interesting post about how narvik/norway was overrated as an important german objective once france was taken:

http://boards.historychannel.com/thread.jspa?threadID=800012484&tstart=0&mod=1155534143794

Post #: 246
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/20/2006 10:08:15 PM   
trees trees

Excellent link, thanks for posting that.

(in reply to JagdFlanker)
Post #: 247
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/20/2006 10:20:02 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flanker Leader

...The history of modern Narvik begins in the 1870s, when the Swedish government began to understand the potential of the iron ore mines in Kiruna, Sweden. If you look at a map, you'll see that the notion of obtaining iron ore from Kiruna had one significant problem: where could it be shipped from? After all, the nearest Swedish port, Luleå, has limitations: it is covered with ice all winter, it is far from Kiruna and it allows only medium-sized bulk freight vessels. Realising these problems, a Swedish company (Gällivarre Aktiebolag) built a railway to Narvik, as the port there is ice free thanks to the warm Gulf Stream, and is naturally large, allowing boats of virtually any size to anchor (208 metres long, 27 metres deep).

LKAB, the mining corporation, still ships the majority of its ore from Narvik (a total 25 million tons a year) and the corporation is still important in the area, both as an employer and landowner, although its influence is not as prominent now as it has been in previous years. (from http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A533125 )

in the end transporting ore by rail is less efficient and more expensive than by ship, and narvik was the closest and best port to do the job. here's a very interesting post about how narvik/norway was overrated as an important german objective once france was taken:

http://boards.historychannel.com/thread.jspa?threadID=800012484&tstart=0&mod=1155534143794

Thanks for the information.

I will have to write special code that only permits the 3 Swedish resources to go by rail to Narvik or Lulea (Boden). Specifically. it will have to forbid their movement over other rail lines.

Steve

(in reply to JagdFlanker)
Post #: 248
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/21/2006 12:16:18 AM   
Froonp

quote:

I think it is sufficient to map the glaciers in Norway as alpine hexsides, rather than inventing a new hex type. They are not as large as a full hex, and it is possible for people to cross them if they are lightly equipped and properly trained. As for Svartisen, ordinary units should be allowed to pass from north to south on both the east and the west side of the glacier.

While I do not really have an opinion about having the Svartisen displayed as an Ice hex or an Alpine hexside (well, indeed I prefer it as an Ice hex), I wanted to stress the fact that this "new" hex type was not created only for the Norwegian Glaciers, but that the Norwegian Glaciers use them.
I think it was created to display Greenland, and other icy places.

(in reply to gbirkeli)
Post #: 249
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/21/2006 12:45:12 AM   
Froonp

quote:

I will have to write special code that only permits the 3 Swedish resources to go by rail to Narvik or Lulea (Boden). Specifically. it will have to forbid their movement over other rail lines.

Well, I agree that the Swedish Iron Ore was shipped by sea through Narvik in real life, but nowhere does the WiF FE game makes it mandatory for Germany to ship the 3 Swedish resources by Sea. Especially putting 3 CP in the North Sea Sea Zone. The 3 CP that transport the 3 Swedish Resources are placed in the Baltic.
This particularity of the shippment of the Swedish Iron Ore is taken care of by a special rule :

8.2.10 Iced-in ports
(...)
If the last impulse of the turn was blizzard or snow in the Arctic weather zone, Germany can only ship the Swedish resources through the Baltic Sea area if Narvik is not controlled by an Allied major power [Designer’s Note: this represents the fact that the resources were transported through neutral Norwegian coastal waters during Winter].

So, I think there is no need for coding what you wrote above, just to code what the rule 8.2.10. says, isn't it ?

Post #: 250
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/21/2006 12:55:06 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp
quote:

Well, I agree that the Swedish Iron Ore was shipped by sea through Narvik in real life, but nowhere does the WiF FE game makes it mandatory for Germany to ship the 3 Swedish resources by Sea. Especially putting 3 CP in the North Sea Sea Zone. The 3 CP that transport the 3 Swedish Resources are placed in the Baltic.
This particularity of the shippment of the Swedish Iron Ore is taken care of by a special rule :

8.2.10 Iced-in ports
(...)
If the last impulse of the turn was blizzard or snow in the Arctic weather zone, Germany can only ship the Swedish resources through the Baltic Sea area if Narvik is not controlled by an Allied major power [Designer’s Note: this represents the fact that the resources were transported through neutral Norwegian coastal waters during Winter].

So, I think there is no need for coding what you wrote above, just to code what the rule 8.2.10. says, isn't it ?

The normal rules say that resources can be shipped by rail. So, sending the Swedish resources by rail through Finland and Leningrad to Germany or the USSR would seem to be possible. Is that a possibility that WIF FE RAW intended to exist?

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 251
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/21/2006 12:57:23 AM   
Froonp

quote:

Here is how it would look if making the hex 3 hexes NE of Oslo Swede, and adding the Swede River.

Hey, you Swede down here, aren't you trying to make Sweden an impregnable fortress ???

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Peter Stauffenberg)
Post #: 252
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/21/2006 1:00:54 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
The normal rules say that resources can be shipped by rail. So, sending the Swedish resources by rail through Finland and Leningrad to Germany or the USSR would seem to be possible. Is that a possibility that WIF FE RAW intended to exist?

Sure.
In history, Leningrad never was German, but nothing would have prevented the Germans to ship the Iron Ore through here if it had been.

If something prevents them, this means that the rail between Sweden and Finland and Leningrad is wrong somewhere, and I would prefer to fix that rather to prevent a given RP not to take a given Rail.

Post #: 253
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/21/2006 1:12:42 AM   
Froonp

quote:

Patrice is on vacation with his family (wife and son, I believe) and should be back online in a couple of days. I'll leave this up to him - and the majority viewpoint, of course. The change only requires modifying one number in the map data. This also applies to the new map that c92nichj recently posted.

Yes, I was, look, some WiF FE (Fog of War) SAS spy even managed to caught me red handed !!!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 254
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/21/2006 1:21:20 AM   
Froonp

BTW, here is the status of the unresolved issues (the 4 pending ones plus the new that you raised while I was sunbathing in Corsica) :

Tampere (35,47) (Borger) : Add. Third largest city.
6 Voters : 50 % YES, 50 % NO.
City / Finland

Lake Femunden (34,38 E) (Borger) : Remove.
6 Voters : 17 % YES, 83 % NO.
Lake / Norway

Dalälven () (Panzerjaeger Hortlund) : Add.
3 Voters : 100 % YES, 0 % NO.
River / Sweden

Bodø (Bodo) (25,41) (Borger) : Add. For supply reasons.
8 Voters : 50 % YES, 50 % NO.
Minor Port / Norway

Clear hex (Resource) (40,35) (ullern) : Change to Mountain.
5 Voters : 40 % YES, 60 % NO.
Terrain / Norway

Glacier Svartisen (alpine) (26,41) (gbirkeli) : Make it Alpine hexside.
2 Voters : 50 % YES, 50 % NO.
Terrain / Norway

Sweden & Norway Border 1 (36,39) (Borger) : Forest hex 2xNE of Oslo should maybe become Swedish.
4 Voters : 25 % YES, 75 % NO.
Border /

Sweden & Norway Border 2 (35,39) (Borger) : Forest hex 3xNE of Oslo should maybe become Swedish.
4 Voters : 75 % YES, 25 % NO.
Border /

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 255
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/21/2006 1:56:36 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

BTW, here is the status of the unresolved issues (the 4 pending ones plus the new that you raised while I was sunbathing in Corsica) :

City / Finland

Lake / Norway

River / Sweden

Minor Port / Norway

Terrain / Norway

Terrain / Norway

Sweden & Norway Border 1 (36,39) (Borger) : Forest hex 2xNE of Oslo should maybe become Swedish.
Border /

Sweden & Norway Border 2 (35,39) (Borger) : Forest hex 3xNE of Oslo should maybe become Swedish.
Border /

I do not feel strongly about these, but I am quite willing to make the final decisions: as indicated. Where a majority existed, I went with the majority. The others are simply my personal preference.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 256
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/21/2006 8:56:22 AM   
Toed

quote:

Here is how it would look if making the hex 3 hexes NE of Oslo Swede, and adding the Swede River.

Hey, you Swede down here, aren't you trying to make Sweden an impregnable fortress ???

Shouldn't it be???

Noticed you put the name of the river Dalälven on the map. Thought I'd post the names of the other rivers in Sweden that are shown on the map. Starting with the border-river with Finland then going south: Torneälven, Luleälven, Skellefteälven, Umeälven, Indalsälven, Ljusnan.

Hope that helps. There are a couple of more of those rivers in Sweden (yes we have too much water everywhere) but I'd hate to make it too hard for Patrice to conquer it.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 257
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/21/2006 9:04:46 AM   
Peter Stauffenberg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

City / Finland

Lake / Norway

River / Sweden

Minor Port / Norway

Terrain / Norway

Terrain / Norway

Border /

Border /

I do not feel strongly about these, but I am quite willing to make the final decisions: as indicated. Where a majority existed, I went with the majority. The others are simply my personal preference.

I concur with the votes from Steve and think the YES'es can be implemented and the NO's discarded. Soon we can close the Scandinavian map chapter.

Post #: 258
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/21/2006 9:06:01 AM   
Peter Stauffenberg

quote:

quote:

Yes, I was, look, some WiF FE (Fog of War) SAS spy even managed to caught me red handed !!!

So THAT is where you have been hiding. Welcome back from your well deserved holiday.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 259
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/21/2006 11:02:45 AM   
Hortlund

quote:

quote:

Looks great!

Am I the only one who has been involved in a wif-game that included an epic struggle over Sweden btw? Fortress Europe was too strong for my overlord ambitions (I was US/UK) so I decided to sneak into Germany from the north. Norway was German, but Sweden was neutral. I invaded Norway and caught Jerry completely off-guard. Norway is not good enough though, since you cant enter the Baltic with just Norway, so I decided to invade Sweden. Big misstake. The Swedish army is not really an easy foe and especially not when the Krauts are sending in reinforcements like there is no tomorrow. Taking Stockholm by land is hellishly hard, just look at the map and imagine what an attack from Norway to Stockholm looks like.

Eventually I did manage to take Sweden, but it took the better part of a year, and by the time I was done there, the Krauts had managed to reinforce northern Germany enough to make any invasion into Germany proper look like a very difficult task.

I'll never forget the epic sea battles in the baltic though, where most of Home Fleet were slugging it out with Bismarck and Tirpitz. Good times.

< Message edited by Panzerjaeger Hortlund -- 8/21/2006 11:04:38 AM >

The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close.
In its place we are entering a period of consequences..

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 260
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/21/2006 11:38:41 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: c92nichj
I found the following map on the net, not sure who made it, but I think it is pretty good. It have added swamp in the northern sweden just as northern Finalnd which I guess is pretty accurate way of describing the climate up there.

This map was made by Carl Ise a long time ago.
I took inspiration from it when making the first versions of the Modified Scandinavia map with Nils.

(in reply to c92nichj)
Post #: 261
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/21/2006 11:56:15 AM   
Froonp

Here is how it looks with the choices approved by Steve and us all.

- Tampere added, and a railway from Turku to Tampere added too.
- Norway-Sweden Border moved.
- Dalälven added.
- Names added.

About Finland there were not much feedback from you all Scandinavians. You jumped on Sweden and Norway, but what about Finland ?

I see on a WWII map that there is an East-West Railway north of Tampere, should it be added ?
Also, there is a railway going to the Baltic Shore from Tampere to the West, should it be added ?

And, the worst of all Pandora boxes, the Murmansk-Ptesamo area, is it ok ?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 262
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/21/2006 12:38:45 PM   
Toed

quote:

About Finland there were not much feedback from you all Scandinavians. You jumped on Sweden and Norway, but what about Finland ?

My knowledge about the Finnish geography is sadly limited. But it seems the lakes might need some tweaking similar to what the Swedish lakes got. Thinner and appearance more like the originals. But for me to name them or say if they are on the right hexsides or not would require some research. Are there perhaps some Finns here with that knowlegde at hand? Here is a map with limited zoom functions that might help out.

http://europa.eu/abc/maps/members/finland_en.htm

Note that this is a current map showing Finland post WWII without the areas they had to cede to Russian aggression. But the lakes and their names should be the same.

< Message edited by Toed -- 8/21/2006 12:46:34 PM >

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 263
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/21/2006 1:34:05 PM   
Froonp

quote:

My knowledge about the Finnish geography is sadly limited. But it seems the lakes might need some tweaking similar to what the Swedish lakes got. Thinner and appearance more like the originals.

I've said that to Rob the Graphic Artist, in case he uses my draft drawing as a template for his own drawings. But I do not intend to drawn them thinner on my draft map for the moment.
I also think that the Lakes I drew or Sweden are too much thin, and I think the correct size may lie somewhere between the Finnish exagerated lake width and the Swedish realistic lake width.

quote:

But for me to name them or say if they are on the right hexsides or not would require some research. Are there perhaps some Finns here with that knowlegde at hand? Here is a map with limited zoom functions that might help out.

I do not intend to redraw them much anyway, I think they do the job as they are. There was much taking and modifications made when I made this with Nils already.

Thanks for the link, I'll look.
Most of the lakes drawn on the MWiF draft map I did are some kinds of abstractions of a vast lakes & rivers network. They may not be exactly like that, but it would be too complicated to depict faithfully.
Also, the Swamp hex NW of Vyborg was another attempt at depicting this lake & river network.

(in reply to Toed)
Post #: 264
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/21/2006 8:06:57 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

My knowledge about the Finnish geography is sadly limited. But it seems the lakes might need some tweaking similar to what the Swedish lakes got. Thinner and appearance more like the originals.

I've said that to Rob the Graphic Artist, in case he uses my draft drawing as a template for his own drawings. But I do not intend to drawn them thinner on my draft map for the moment.
I also think that the Lakes I drew or Sweden are too much thin, and I think the correct size may lie somewhere between the Finnish exagerated lake width and the Swedish realistic lake width.

quote:

But for me to name them or say if they are on the right hexsides or not would require some research. Are there perhaps some Finns here with that knowlegde at hand? Here is a map with limited zoom functions that might help out.

I do not intend to redraw them much anyway, I think they do the job as they are. There was much taking and modifications made when I made this with Nils already.

Thanks for the link, I'll look.
Most of the lakes drawn on the MWiF draft map I did are some kinds of abstractions of a vast lakes & rivers network. They may not be exactly like that, but it would be too complicated to depict faithfully.
Also, the Swamp hex NW of Vyborg was another attempt at depicting this lake & river network.

The real argument against accuracy is that the visual image has to communicate the effect the rivers/lakes have on game play. A realistic picture would show a lot of small lakes and larger lakes that do not adhere to hexsides. It could be extremely confusing. Maps are compromises - the overriding goal is clarity of communications to the players.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 265
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/23/2006 1:11:45 AM   
Ullern

I have no strong feelings about the last changes, but some concerns about the addition of Tampere. I have the feeling that it will make the Winter war too hard to execute => USSR never denies => both less fun and less historical accuracy.

But the fact that the north of Finland looks entirely different may tweak things anyway, so I think the only proper thing to do is to play test it. I really don't think any further changes should be made to this map before play testing.

Nils.

Post #: 266
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/25/2006 9:34:55 AM   
amwild

quote:

Here is how it looks with the choices approved by Steve and us all.

I have one problem with this map, and it is only cosmetic...

The glacier hexes - such as the one a few hexes north-east of Bergen - should have a little texture so that they don't look blank as if the hex graphic was missing. Say, a little grey speckling around the edges so that it appears to blend into the mountains a bit, yet doesn't look like tundra.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 267
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/25/2006 10:44:19 AM   
Froonp

quote:

The glacier hexes - such as the one a few hexes north-east of Bergen - should have a little texture so that they don't look blank as if the hex graphic was missing. Say, a little grey speckling around the edges so that it appears to blend into the mountains a bit, yet doesn't look like tundra.

Someone also suggested adding some blue for a better 'ice effect' too.

(in reply to amwild)
Post #: 268
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/25/2006 1:56:39 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

Someone also suggested adding some blue for a better 'ice effect' too.

Getting the terrain to look good in all cases isn't easy. For the one example here a blending with mountain hexes would look good. In the middle of Greenland it wouldn't.

When Rob gets back from vacation I'll ask him to add some blue (or something) for texture.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 269
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/28/2006 7:41:55 PM   
trees trees

Overall the map looks very good. Somewhere way back someone suggested dropping "Glacier" hexes as a new terrain type and representing them by ringing the entire hex with Alpine hexsides; (and maybe desert mountain inside?). I really liked that idea; adding a new terrain type for so few hexes doesn't seem worthwhile.

The new "Tundra" hexes are a tough consideration. In my limited readings about the Axis campaign for Murmansk (one of the "Forgotten Axis" issues of Strategy & Tactics from the mid-90s) it is clear that the hex in between Petsamo and Murmansk was one of the most unique terrains covered in WWII - a not quite flat but not hilly plain of pure rock almost. I can't recall the new definition for "Tundra" but giving it Desert effects for supply, swamp movement costs, and becoming clear in snow/blizzard would be a good start; it is good to keep it separate from how air factors affect regular woods hexes.

In current paper WiF using the Scandinavian map is somewhat pro-Axis as the Russians must commit forces up here if they wish to maintain the rail link to Murmansk but that is historical...the Finns cut it on occasion in the war; and anything that helps the Axis is good for the game. Moving to this scale on the "Scandinavian" map will make the Finnish ski divisions that much more potent as they will be more frequently in supply. This alone should lead more Russian players to demand the Borderlands. I'm not sure I quite follow giving city status to Tampere but not to Vyborg? (I thought Vyborg was the second largest Finnish city in 1939?) Making Vyborg a city again (it has been in previous editions of WiF) will further increase the vaule of the Borderlands to the Axis and make historical Russian activity here more likely.

Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI