Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Weapons

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Weapons Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Weapons - 9/21/2006 8:58:17 PM   
Joram

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

If you don't find the AI challenging enough one solution might be to drink several beers before you start playing...

But seriously, there have been changes to the AI, but I'm not competent to discuss them, since I don't do any of the programming.

ROFL

But I play it so often that would probably turn me into an alcoholic!

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 31
RE: Weapons - 9/25/2006 2:10:58 PM   
dh76513

• Mortars
Mortars were short-barrelled pieces, mostly smoothbore, which fired a shell with a small powder charge at a steep elevation. Shells were usually grapeshot or hollow shells set off by percussion or timed fuses.
• Howitzers
Howitzers fired large projectiles at higher elevations than guns, but lower than mortars.
• Smoothbores
Smoothbores were standard guns at the start of the war, but they were soon outdated by the invention of rifled guns, which added spin to the projectile, creating a longer range.
• Columbiads
Columbiads were large caliber smoothbores which fired a large projectile at high elevation over a great distance.
• Parrott Rifles
Parrott Rifles, as the name implies, were rifled guns made of iron with a strap of wrought iron wrapped around the breech. These guns unfortunately had a tendency to burst at the muzzle.
• Whistling Dick
One of the most famous gun of the war was "Whistling Dick", a banded and rifled 18-pounder Confederate siege and garrison weapon. "Whistling Dick" began life as a iron smoothbore Model 1839 which had been rifled. Because of some erratic rifling all shells fired from the gun made a peculiar whistling sound, thus the name "Whistling Dick." The gun was part of the river defenses at Vicksburg, Mississippi in 1863, and is credited with the sinking of the Union gunboat Cincinnati. "Whistling Dick" disappeared after the surrender of Vicksburg and remains unaccounted for today.
• Brooke Rifles
Brooke rifles were essentially a Confederate version of the Parrott gun. However, the Brooke rifle might have 1, 2 or 3 wrought iron bands around the cast iron breech.
• Dahlgrens
Admiral John A. Dahlgren designed many types of naval guns for use in the war. Of the heavy variety were his large caliber smoothbore shellguns, two of which were the only armament of the Monitor.
• Whitworth Rifles
Due to the lack of sufficient foundries, the Confederacy had to rely on imported guns, run through the blockade, for many of its heavy varieties of guns. The Whitworth rifle could fire a hexagonal bolt nearly 10,000 yards.
• Blakely Rifles
Another import, Blakely rifles came in various calibers with barrells made of cast iron strengthened with steel.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 32
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Weapons Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI